PDA

View Full Version : Switched 4 days ago

msp
Jul 20, 2003, 04:41 AM
It's so beautiful.

I got a Powerbook 12' on Wednesday. Its the first time i got a new Computer that didn't have any problem when installing the os, and using the buildin Hardware.
Also no problem with using a usb printer, usb storage devices and so on.

I was using Debian GNU/Linux since 1997 as my primay OS 99% of the day.
But the power MAC OS gives you is unbelievable. The terminal works great, all important things are available.

I wrote a termpaper with TeXShop and its an amazing piece of software. Everything works so smooth and I have no problems so far. I didn't even install my beloved vim because there was not need of editing a configfile.

And iTunes kicks ass ... I can see other macs playlists and can listen to them. I normally used noatun but this playlist management from iTunes is like dope :-)

I also have fink installed which gives me back my apt-get and apt-cache so now I really have the best of both worlds. A slick un*x os with a great gui and a huge set of applications.

I have not used my linux machine since I got the new Powerbook, and I think I'll get a new desktop next year which will be an apple too.

Thanks apple, awesome job on this piece of hardware and software.

King Cobra
Jul 20, 2003, 06:34 AM
You're going to keep experiencing OS X in the positive motives you had a few days ago. Even though I have used OS X for over a year, I am still learning and liking it.

Don't worry about what PC users smack in your face. Just know that you are one owner and user of the world's smallest affordable, portable supercomputer.

BTW: You said you were going to get a new desktop in a year? Watch for the G5s.

Congrats.

CmdrLaForge
Jul 23, 2003, 06:01 AM
Congrats !

Great too hear you are happy with your purchase.

I had a similar experience when I switched a couple of month ago.

The thing is: it just works.

Well - thats what it is made for. But I have used and still have to use PCs as well - and they often simply don't do what they are made for.

Againg congrats

Cheers
CmdrLaForge

maradong
Jul 23, 2003, 06:42 AM
congrats.
;-)
just got an imac 17'' 2 days ago, and it is just great. I think i perfectly understand what you feel, as i was using linux as well, ( no not the "window"linux'er ) for my main os. like 99 % of the day.
well anyway,
once more, congrats.