PDA

View Full Version : 23' cinema display . . .

triton
Jul 20, 2003, 06:02 AM
Does anyone have any links they could point me to in relation to the cinema display 23' LCD? I wanted to read a few reviews on it, before purchase. I am a graphic designer looking to move from CRT to LCD (as posted earlier), but need to be really sure about color shifting etc.

I've seen the displays, and love them. However, I need to find out some more true opinions, and read some more reviews. Anything would be of some help. Thank you !

Tiauguinho
Jul 20, 2003, 06:47 AM
Hey,

I have a 20'' Cinema Display and i couldnt be happier with it. Its a awsome display! Much better then the 23'' in terms of color and brightness. I recommend you to do your own test. Go to an Apple Store and compare the 2 displays.

Rocket Rion
Jul 20, 2003, 08:09 PM
When the 23 dropped to $1999 and the 20 came out, I was torn between the two. But I spent the extra $$$$$$$ for the size and am totally happy with it. When I'm in the Apple store and see both, I don't recognize any quality differences, but I do see the 20 as inadequately small compared to the 23. I'd go for the 23 again in a second.

triton
Jul 21, 2003, 12:16 AM
Thank you both for your responses !:)

mgargan1
Jul 21, 2003, 12:30 AM
do you think that when the new monitor models come out, they'll discount, the current model... or will they stop selling it?

jbomber
Jul 21, 2003, 02:02 AM
i have a 22" and want a 23" but if i got a 23" and there was a 30", I'm pretty sure I'd want that instead.

Bigger is ALWAYS better. :)

Daveman Deluxe
Jul 21, 2003, 01:19 PM
Our church finally set up our video editing system. It's a dual 1.42 GHz G4. Sure, it's not a G5, but it'll still be screamingly fast. :D

At any rate, the piece de resistance is the 23" Cinema Display we have. I can't wait to be editing some good shiznit on that bad boy. It looks even better in our editing room than it did in the store.

ITMediaCo
Jul 21, 2003, 01:53 PM
The design of the Cinema display hasn't been changed much since late 2000. Anyone think Apple will be releasing a new look any time soon?

(I recall rumors about a 30" display... but that seemed a ways off)

triton
Jul 21, 2003, 02:42 PM
How come some people say the 20 inch actually has better color and brightness than the 23 inch? Is this true? Also, what benifits do you get from the HD on the 23'in cinema display?

Bear
Jul 21, 2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by triton
...Also, what benifits do you get from the HD on the 23'in cinema display?
You get more room on the screen to either show more windows, or to be able to see more of an image you are working on. When you get down to it, all the pallette windows take room too on the display.

ddtlm
Jul 21, 2003, 03:41 PM
I've got the Sony verion of that 23" panel hooked to my Mac, and some professional photographers I know were able to pick out limitations right away, color banding if I remember right. I like the screen a lot though, it has dual DVI/analog inputs (4 connections, use two at once) which rocks. It would probably look good next to a G5 too. :)

photohead
Jul 21, 2003, 04:13 PM
I'm a photographer and am a proud owner of an apple 20" LCD display. That being said....LCD is not up to par as a CRT monitor is as far as color is concerned...if that is what is important to you and very critical color is important I would go with the Sony aritsan..?? 20 or 21 inch monitor....it made for graphic aritist and photographers ...around the same price or maybe a little cheaper..1300$ there is a photographer by the name of john paul coppenegro>>/? that has a lot of expertise in this subject and has a couple of books out concerning this subject...might want to read up on him...you ask then why I have a 20' LCD?? I found that I could get around the color difficiency by working a little harder on the back end when I print ...as long as you are using the correct color profile the information is still there but just not as accurate as it could be....and I sacrificed the coolness of having a wide screen (which helps greatly in any graphics photography program with pallete's) with the accuracy of the color...it all depends on how critical you want/need to be.

N

ITMediaCo
Jul 21, 2003, 10:09 PM
Check out the Eizo SlimEdge LCD... I saw their kiosk at Macworld and was speechless. The image quality is stunning, and puts the Cinema display to shame.

The cool thing about it- the calibrator actually connects to the display, not the computer. This way, the display gets calibrated, not the video card.

FuzzyBallz
Jul 21, 2003, 10:21 PM
I too own the 20" Cinema Display. Thought about the 23" HD, but it's too big... ok, maybe there's no such thing as too big, but I don't want the monitor to be in my face.

It's very bright compare to my Sony 18" LCD I use for my PC, but without the glare. My Cinema Display is powered by a Radeon 9000Pro. I have nothing more to add than "go out and buy one."

Flowbee
Jul 21, 2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by ddtlm
I've got the Sony verion of that 23" panel hooked to my Mac...

I don't think there's a Sony version of an Apple 23" cinema display. I think you mean you have a Sony 23" display. :p

ddtlm
Jul 21, 2003, 11:23 PM
Flowbee:

Er, well its based on the same panel. Though were I found that information I do not know, wasn't easy to find.

ITMediaCo
Jul 21, 2003, 11:50 PM
Is it really? That's interesting... I was wondering if Apple was producing their own panels or just getting an OEM from a separate manufacturer.

Dell seems to use Samsung panels in their products.

Flowbee
Jul 22, 2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by ddtlm
Flowbee:

Er, well its based on the same panel. Though were I found that information I do not know, wasn't easy to find.

Hey, you may be right. I was just yankin' yer chain.
:eek:

ddtlm
Jul 22, 2003, 12:56 AM
Flowbee: Yeah I figured. :)

ITMediaCo: About the only company to make PC's and LCD panels is IBM.

RichP
Jul 24, 2003, 06:58 PM
There are only a few companies in the world that really make LCD panels, such as samsung NEC/mitsubishi, planar, sharp. Everything else is just labelled and cased.

That being said, the 20 is much brighter than the 23, although in performance it seems to me the performance is better overall. I have a 20 and dont regret it..although the 23 is still a very nice screen (could always get 2 20's..hehe)

triton
Jul 24, 2003, 07:12 PM
So your saying that the 23 inch has better performance than the 20 inch? What does performance mean exactly? :confused:

I thought about getting dual 20's, do you think this is a better option to go than one single 23 inch. I am doing mostly photoshop work - possible video work down the line.

Is the 20 inch brighter because it's easier to make a backlight for a smaller screen?

ITMediaCo
Jul 24, 2003, 07:17 PM
40" of screen?

triton
Jul 24, 2003, 07:26 PM
Hey I'm working with dual 21 inch CRT's right now. :cool: The more space for me, the better.