PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper iPhone Nano?

Le Big Mac
Jul 9, 2007, 03:44 PM
One analyst is predicting an iPhone Nano late this year:

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUKN0929372220070709?rpc=44

JoeJoe
Jul 9, 2007, 03:47 PM
Beat me to it!

I think this is great news. Especially for us AAPL owners! :D

Sobe
Jul 9, 2007, 03:47 PM
we should get a running list on all of the things an iPhone nano won't have that it should!

I'll start: Where's the GPS?...or not.

rockstarjoe
Jul 9, 2007, 03:56 PM
I have been thinking about this for a while. I think the Iphone Nano is definitely coming in the near future. I think it will have a similar form to the current Nano, and it will be less "internet" oriented. It will still be full screen with multitouch. Of course it will have phone functionality and iPod functionality, but I'm not so sure about Safari, Mail, Maps, etc on there. They wouldn't be that usuable on a small screen anyway. In fact, I don't even see how the keyboard would work on there. And considering the fact that, other than size, Apple will need to find some way to differentiate the products and lower the price, they will probably subtract some features from the iPhone Nano.

Troyte83
Jul 9, 2007, 04:00 PM
I would be suprised if they didnt make different models. Just imagine an iPhone nano for 130 bucks with a rebate. It probably wont have safari browser or 4gigs of memory but it will be probably be 1 gig with some some sort of touch screen. Chances are it will sell more than the regular iPhone.

j/k/Andy
Jul 9, 2007, 04:04 PM
It will be a flip phone, 2 or 4 GB, will support Nike+, no or very limited internet, no touch screen, will have improved IM and text, sub $200/$40 and geared toward the 12-20 age range.

The Nano made ipod sales numbers, could do the same with iphones

Sobe
Jul 9, 2007, 04:07 PM
It will be a flip phone, 2 or 4 GB, will support Nike+, no or very limited internet, no touch screen, will have improved IM and text, sub $200/$40 and geared toward the 12-20 age range.

a $200 4 gig nano iphone with texting and IM would be killer in that age group.

Don't even need the net or email really. Not on that device.

Icebird
Jul 9, 2007, 04:40 PM

Nah, I doubt Apple would make a flip iPod phone. I see it being just a small version of the iPhone. About the size of an iPod Nano, maybe a little bigger. Same one button to go to home screen. And it will have SMS, pictures, maybe calendar, calculator, settings(airplane mode), no wi-fi probably, bluetooth, iPod for sure, maybe the google maps, and definitely the touch screen. And since you would only need the keyboard for texting, unless they had notes or something, it will probably be an landscape on-screen keyboard with same smart technology.
If they use the on-screen keyboard though, they will have to make it big enough to be able to actually use it, so it'll be interesting to see how small they are able to make it.

My other idea is that it could be a little thinner than the iPhone and have maybe 1-2gb memory but same screen size. And have the same features I listed above with just the SMS application, pictures, and no full-fledged internet features like the iPhone. Maybe just a portable version of safari like most mobile browsers on Edge. This would make the on-screen keyboard part work, and they could still keep the cool feel with the multi-touch screen.

Oh, and I think they would price it $300-350.
That would justify getting an iPod Nano and a phone in one bundle.

Rojo
Jul 9, 2007, 04:42 PM
Argh - the iPhone nano rumor returns!

I still don't get why Apple would make one. If you remove all the cool things that make the current iPhone what it is today, then what's left? A nano that somehow makes phone calls? What's interesting/innovative about that?

rockstarjoe mentions something the size of a current nano, but with a fullscreen touchscreen -- but also points out how internet, a keyboard, etc, wouldn't quite work. Yes... exactly! It makes no sense.

j/k/Andy thinks it will be a flip-phone. But again.... why? Where's the innovation? What makes this different than other flip-phones on the market? Other than being from Apple? Sure, it might look prettier, and be ever so slightly easier to use -- but Apple didn't spend all this money, all this time, and all this research and development just to make yet-another flip-phone. It makes no sense.

I seriously think people here just want something that's MADE by Apple, but is cheaper than the iPhone -- but aren't really thinking much beyond that, and aren't taking into account the reasons why Apple wouldn't do something like this. WHY would Apple bother with a product that just has their name on it, but works/functions like most other phones out there?

I honestly don't think the iPhone is going to be THAT much smaller for a while. Thinner, maybe. Lighter, sure. But the screen size is probably going to stay the same -- at least until foldable screens get invented sometime in the future. This rules out a "nano-sized" phone for the time being...

MacRumors
Jul 9, 2007, 04:44 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

JP Morgan analysts (http://uk.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUKN0929372220070709) claim that Apple is planning on launching a cheaper version of the iPhone in the 4th quarter of this year that "could be based on the ultra-slim iPod Nano music player".

The analyst (Kevin Chang) cited unspecified "people in the supply channel" as well as a recent U.S. Patent application as his sources for the information.
"We believe that iPod Nano will be converted into a phone because it's probably the only way for Apple to launch a lower end phone without severely cannibalizing iPod Nano," he said noting that the new phone could have "rather limited functionality."

The "iPhone nano" patent application was widely cited (http://www.unwiredview.com/2007/07/05/simple-and-cheap-iphone-for-your-grandma/#more-649) last week as evidence of a possible iPhone Nano:
It describes a simple touchpad that can display different symbols for different modes of the device and the ways to operate such a device. These different symbols are illuminated as different modes of the device are selected and are used to operate iPhone Nano in that mode.
The patent application, however, was filed in November 2006, and may simply represent different iterations of early iPhone plans than actual future devices.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/09/cheaper-iphone-nano/)

quigleybc
Jul 9, 2007, 04:46 PM
What's an iPhone...

JK

this sounds sweet....I'll take two, oh wait I live in Canada....nevermind :rolleyes:

xelphy
Jul 9, 2007, 04:47 PM
Yea I don't see a point to this... Yea the iphone is tough enough to type on, i can't see a nano having a keyboard at all... Therefore an iPhone minus the cool stuff is just uh.. an expensive phone.

p0intblank
Jul 9, 2007, 04:47 PM
There's no way the iPhone nano is coming out this year. Quote me on that.

iMichael72
Jul 9, 2007, 04:49 PM
The frenzy continues!
The wife will love it. Heck, she loves my iPhone!

Poff
Jul 9, 2007, 04:52 PM
A small formfactor iPhone would be nice, but without SMS it would be dead.. :/

thecritix
Jul 9, 2007, 04:54 PM
a $200 4 gig nano iphone with texting and IM would be killer in that age group.

Don't even need the net or email really. Not on that device.

agrees.

apple would never release it for less than $200, certainly not $130.

gugy
Jul 9, 2007, 04:54 PM
that's great news.
Apple needs a cheaper iPhone to attract more buyers. The price tag of $499 and $599 is too high for most folks. The iPhone nano should cost $199 to $299. That would be more realistic.
They will sell like crazy.

I just wish they had two choices of carrier, like AT&T and Verizon.:(

theheyes
Jul 9, 2007, 04:56 PM
iPhone/smartphone

iPhone Nano/mp3 mobile phone

Done right, it would work very well I think. Not everyone wants an all-singing smartphone. If the "iPhone Nano" manages to combine the phone and the non-video iPod without compromising either, it will be a winner.

narco
Jul 9, 2007, 04:56 PM
Not sure exactly how Apple will design a non-touchscreen iPhone and keep their simplicity. I just hope they don't use the click-wheel to scroll through letters, or have one button you have to press multiple times to go through each letter. I don't want a phone that would make text messaging like putting in codes for the NES.

Fishes,
narco.

xelphy
Jul 9, 2007, 05:00 PM
I can see this being aimed at high school and younger kids -- a cheaper version that has text and... please lord add iChat -- i mean how is this not out yet?

Anyway -- its at a good price point for the kiddies, get em hooked on Apple early! Plus they're fingers are the only ones small enough to type of a mini screen!

CormacMaclaggan
Jul 9, 2007, 05:01 PM
It would be hard to type on a key board any smaller than the one that is on the iphone, my guess is that it might only have a numeric keypad rather than a qwerty but who knows. all i know is that its time to buy more AAPL:apple:

shiunn
Jul 9, 2007, 05:02 PM
how big will the screen be? will there be any fun in flicking through your address book on such a small screen?
what about wifi? how would you surf on such a puny screen?

freddiecable
Jul 9, 2007, 05:02 PM
Apple has to differentiate it's "phone-line" eventually. A 2.5" iPhone is feasible no? I for one - would rather have a 2.5" than a 3.5" iphone. Smaller than 2.5" widescreen would create usability trade-offs drastically.

Kidd38s
Jul 9, 2007, 05:03 PM
I still don't get why Apple would make one. If you remove all the cool things that make the current iPhone what it is today, then what's left? A nano that somehow makes phone calls? What's interesting/innovative about that?

What does the ipod do that most other mp3 players can't other than have a great design and work seemlessly with itunes? Both of those concepts/features could transfer really well to a less expense phone. ;)

guzhogi
Jul 9, 2007, 05:03 PM
apple would never release it for less than $200, certainly not $130.

Agreed. I feel Apple's becoming more of the high-end computer company, which is sad. Mac OS X is awesome, but it seems like all Apple cares about is selling its high-end pro(sumer) stuff rather than making affordable, low-end products. I keep hearing that Apple discontinues the low end stuff either b/c it's either not selling well enough (good low-end stuff that's too expensive) or selling too well and cannibalizing higher end stuff. It seems like Apple wants to make at least a 40% profit on everything. Cool as it may be, it's just too expensive for people who don't make that much $$.

F.D.
Jul 9, 2007, 05:08 PM
Here's the reality folks. The iPhone has only 8 gigs maximum storage. Which puts its iPod capacity in the realm of the Nano already.

When the next gen iPhone comes along with 30-80 gigs of storage, then maybe we can start thinking about Apple introducing a Nano iPhone.

That's the way I see it. I won't be replacing my 30 gig iPod with an 8 gig iPhone any day soon.

And just for the record, I don't see Apple having any reason for introducing a phone with minimal (or no) genuine Multitouch, iPod or internet facilities. The iPhone's entire USP would be gone.

MrCrowbar
Jul 9, 2007, 05:11 PM
I love my 8 GB nano. Use the address book on it all the time. Just let me press the center button to call the selected contact and I can ditch my cell phone. For the rare occasions you have to dial a number, the clickwheel is just fine.

The thing might get a little bigger tho to get the mics, speaker and SIM card and vibrator inside :-)

Rojo
Jul 9, 2007, 05:12 PM
What does the ipod do that most other mp3 players can't other than have a great design and work seemlessly with itunes? Both of those concepts/features could transfer really well to a less expense phone. ;)

Apple certainly didn't invent the mp3 player with the iPod, but they still weren't widely used then, and Apple MADE them a househould name/item.

Cell phones, on the other hand, have been around for decades, and almost everyone has one now. In order for Apple to even bother to tap into this market, they REALLY had to do something revolutionary with their iPhone. And they did! But to now go backwards and do something not-so-revolutionary wouldn't make much sense.

The iPhone got so much attention because of the amazing things it could do. You really think Apple would sacrifice all that and put out "just another phone"?

And has anyone REALLY looked at the patent drawings? If Apple really made that device, they would be mocked. This is just another one of Apple's hundreds of patents that are just thrown out there but never get made...

jwa276
Jul 9, 2007, 05:22 PM
Agreed. I feel Apple's becoming more of the high-end computer company, which is sad. Mac OS X is awesome, but it seems like all Apple cares about is selling its high-end pro(sumer) stuff rather than making affordable, low-end products. I keep hearing that Apple discontinues the low end stuff either b/c it's either not selling well enough (good low-end stuff that's too expensive) or selling too well and cannibalizing higher end stuff. It seems like Apple wants to make at least a 40% profit on everything. Cool as it may be, it's just too expensive for people who don't make that much $$.

That is what makes Apple who they are... They have always been higher end. They push design. Good design costs more. Higher costs can allow Apple to keep innovating and keep pushing the design of their products as well as other companies' products.

The LAST thing I want to see is for Apple to become a company with crap design standards like any PC manufacturer out there currently on the market. Selling cheaply made products with poor design to keep costs down means a lot of people will be using cheap products with poor design carrying the Apple brand, and that has never been what Apple is about. Every product Apple has released has always had some form of style power at some point in its life ( ok maybe there are a few exceptions ;) )

I don't think they want to make their products unaffordable by any means, but they definitely want to keep their spot in the high end consumer industry- and I applaud them for that.

I might cry if I saw corrugated cardboard used inside Apple's packaging :D

panamajack
Jul 9, 2007, 05:22 PM

rockstarjoe mentions something the size of a current nano, but with a fullscreen touchscreen -- but also points out how internet, a keyboard, etc, wouldn't quite work. Yes... exactly! It makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense for people who want to have a simple phone with simple Nano iPod functionality. The nano doesn't have the same cool things that a 80gig iPod has, but it still sells like hotcakes, due to the price point and form factor.

Persopnally, as a someone who is rather disappointed with the lack of 3rd party apps as well as being more or less joined at the hip with my laptop .... an iPhone Nano might be exactly what I want:

Portable music, a 1/2 decent phone/SMS machine with basic productivity essentials like calendar, to do lists, contacts, etc.

isoS
Jul 9, 2007, 05:23 PM
Apple certainly didn't invent the mp3 player with the iPod, but they still weren't widely used then, and Apple MADE them a househould name/item.

Cell phones, on the other hand, have been around for decades, and almost everyone has one now. In order for Apple to even bother to tap into this market, they REALLY had to do something revolutionary with their iPhone. And they did! But to now go backwards and do something not-so-revolutionary wouldn't make much sense.

The iPhone got so much attention because of the amazing things it could do. You really think Apple would sacrifice all that and put out "just another phone"?

And has anyone REALLY looked at the patent drawings? If Apple really made that device, they would be mocked. This is just another one of Apple's hundreds of patents that are just thrown out there but never get made...
If Apple really wants to get into the cell phone market, they have to offer a simpler, less expensive option than the iPhone. And a nano phone would be a huge hit for one simple reason: most people hate the design of their cell phone. The iPod proved that if you give people something beautiful, usable and elegant, they will buy it over ugly, clunky, cheaper alternatives every time. The average cell phone is ugly. Apple says: "Here, try our pretty one -- it looks like the nano we sold you last year and it does the same things, but it also makes calls." The nano is a fashion accessory for a certain demographic. Some cell phones have tried to do the same thing (pink RAZR), but Apple will make it prettier, cooler, easier and more fun to use, and they'll charge a little more than competitors, which will make it a status symbol. As others have mentioned, the mini/nano, with their colors and price point, are what made the iPod so dominant and enabled Apple to take over the MP3 market, so why wouldn't they follow the same game plan in their efforts to gain a foothold the mobile phone game? This is their third leg -- they're not going to stand pat with a full-featured smart phone that is out of most people's price range.

Black Belt
Jul 9, 2007, 05:24 PM
Well I can't even type on the regular iPhone with my fingers, I don't see how this would work in a Nano form factor. You'd lose most of what makes the iPhone the iPhone. In my mind it would simply be the functionality of a Razor that syncs with iTunes - a minor improvement over existing phones by having an easy to use audio player.

Royale w/cheese
it will be probably be 1 gig with some some sort of touch screen.

Do you think they would make it that small? I couldn't see them making it on par with a shuffle and having all the the other nano larger and cheaper. But I guess you never know.

lou2000
I don't know - maybe i just lack imagination but I can't imagine the iphone being much smaller. that patent app looked silly to me but i guess you could take a nano and add a little bit of a phone to it. Or take a phone and add a shuffle to it. oh wait - they all ready tried that with Motorala. I don't think apple would go smaller and cheaper tho. they want ppl to buy their full size iphone. I could see them making a bigger iphone. then they could provide a bigger keyboard, GPS, video, 3G, larger storage, more juice, etc.

Mr Ikasu
Jul 9, 2007, 05:25 PM
I've been assuming something like this would happen from day one like many others.

If Apple are serious about taking any significant slice of the mobile market (cell market for you americans) they need a cheaper phone.
Beyond my immediate circle of geeky friends the iPhone is far to complex and expensive and they really just want a simple phone for calls and texts to save carrying 2 devices.

They love their iPods and would be more than happy to get a phone that has the same ease of use. Some phone software is awful. The current iPhone is a smartphone, people don't need these on the whole.

I would guess a smaller, much simpler version will be out soon and just before christmas sounds a good guess. The only thing I wonder is if it will keep the camera. How many phones nowadays don't have one?

Meanwhile I'm still waiting for Apple to get the ***** first model out here (UK). Very jealous.

oldwatery
Jul 9, 2007, 05:30 PM
My dream....

Nano size.
Glass touch screen.
Phone, address book, calendar and to-do list.
4 gig ipod functionality......tunes, photos etc......
Bluetooth

No Camera.
No internet.
No clam shell

Bring it on :D

gutefahrt
Jul 9, 2007, 05:31 PM
Am I first to name it??? :p

thejadedmonkey
Jul 9, 2007, 05:32 PM
I might actually buy a nano iPhone. All it needs to do is hold more then my current 5 year old iPod (10 gigs), make calls, take pictures, AIM, and SMS messaging. Add a calculator, alarm, and stick it in a $250 box, and I'll buy one.

Doesn't really matter what form factor, just make a phone that's not a smart-phone, and that's better then anything that's come out in the past 2 years already!

rdowns
Jul 9, 2007, 05:33 PM

And you can quote me on that too. Not a chance in hell Apple releases a new model until they milk Rev. A (worldwide) for all its worth.

yzp
Jul 9, 2007, 05:34 PM
I find it's an awesome idea to get higher market parts!!!

Most people find iPhone too expensive (as I do), so it might be the perfect way for appple to sell a lot of iPhone -even non full-size.

EricNau
Jul 9, 2007, 05:35 PM
An "iPhone Nano" will inevitably be released, but not within this year. Maybe sometime next year it we're lucky.

zflauaus
Jul 9, 2007, 05:42 PM
You know, Apple said the iPhone was an AT&T exclusive, he never said anything about variants of the iPhone. ;) I KID! I KID! NO FLAMING!

gutefahrt
Jul 9, 2007, 05:49 PM
Just an idea:

I don't like the size of the iPhone. Too big. I like a phone in my pocket, not on my hip. My palm can talk to my phone with BlueTooth. So why not let Apple sell me the phoneless iPhone (next-gen video iPod), and if I'm not in WiFi country, it can use 3G for surfing via the Baby Jesus Phone in my pocket? And maybe the video iPod could have all the cool phone and voicemail capabilities when paired with the Baby Jesus Phone.

AgingGeek
Jul 9, 2007, 05:50 PM
Actually, they'll be producing a cross between the shuffle and the nano.

No keyboard... the iPhone Nano will simply dial people at random from your contacts list. :D

(Because, Steve Jobs knows who you want to call)

Sweetfeld28
Jul 9, 2007, 05:51 PM
I think this a great idea. I would definitely buy one if they brought it out.

netdog
Jul 9, 2007, 05:54 PM
For my needs, I would prefer this to the current iPhone.

Small!!! Thin!!!! Light!!!!!

Full Nano-sized touchscreen. Touch keyboard for SMS.

Perfect.

Westside guy
Jul 9, 2007, 05:56 PM
It's coming out in September, with a price of $1100. And you can make up to one call.

:rolleyes:

with apologies to David Letterman (http://youtube.com/watch?v=iZ1bGYMudv0)

Bob Atkinson
Jul 9, 2007, 05:58 PM
Regardless of what Kevin Chang and JP Morgan think, there will NOT be a slim nano-sized/styled iPhone anytime soon. There are about a hundred good reasons for this, including....

1. Too small a form factor for a touch-screen based smartphone - Not enough room for all the components and a decent battery. Heat would also be a real killer.

2. It would cost about 85% of what it costs to build the current model (about $230, rather than $263), so it could not sell for much less than the current iPhone. Maybe $429? What idiot would buy it to save $50 or even $150 over the full iPhone model? You're going to spend over $1,400 for the plan over a two-year contract, so you needn't scrimp on a smaller, harder to use iPhone model.

3. Apple NEVER intros a 'Model B' of anything before selling the bolts out of 'Model A'. Read: at least a year before a new iPhone model, likely with the same form factor as the current one but more storage (20GB flash, probably), 3G option, improved business connectivity, better camera, and possibly GPS and removeable battery. Probably still on AT&T in the US, at a $450 or $500 price point.

Somebody has obviously confused this with the REAL product coming up -- a line of multi-touch-screen Nano-sized iPods coming later this year (likely 6GB and 20GB Flash-memory-based models). Not to mention a wacky multi-touch mouse on next month's two new iMac models.

In the meantime, we can look forward to several firmware updates to the current iPhone from late August onward, real chat/SMS, Adobe Flash Lite and some sort of a service deal for Microsoft Exchange support. (Don't bet on a 3G firmware activation for this model.)

- BA

n-abounds
Jul 9, 2007, 06:05 PM
And you can quote me on that too. Not a chance in hell Apple releases a new model until they milk Rev. A (worldwide) for all its worth.

Agreed. No chance until the iPhone is in all markets...which won't be at least until the end of the year. Maybe February next year for the iPhone Nano.

RichP
Jul 9, 2007, 06:09 PM
12-20 year-old iphone nano "target market" already has $150 sidekicks that do more than the regular iphone does, nevermind a "stripped down" iphone nano.

law guy
Jul 9, 2007, 06:12 PM
I'd rather just have a nano with more memory - perhaps a video nano. No need to ruin it with a phone that potentially raises the price or attaches discounts to a customer having to sign a 2 yr contract with those Atlantic telegraph and telephone folks. But then again, I'm one of those who thinks the Moto Razr is still the best phone around if what you want to do is make calls with a small device.

brepublican
Jul 9, 2007, 06:14 PM
I call BS.

But gimme an upgraded iPhone without the phone functionality and I'm in :cool:

Object-X
Jul 9, 2007, 06:20 PM
I want the iFlip. You heard it here first. :apple:

deannnnn
Jul 9, 2007, 06:23 PM
Maybe it'l come out for a different network!

...yeah, right.
I can dream can't I?

kcmac
Jul 9, 2007, 06:24 PM
My dream....

Nano size.
Glass touch screen.
Bluetooth

No Camera.
No internet.
No clam shell

That's a phone that would suit the non smart phone crowd and one I could justify buying for my wife and kids. Heck, this might even suit my needs better than the cadillac version. Apple needs to get in this segment of the market with a sleek phone. I think this item would also fly off of the shelves. How soon would they do it? The more the merrier I say for the Christmas season!

Hairball
Jul 9, 2007, 06:33 PM
Here's the reality folks. The iPhone has only 8 gigs maximum storage. Which puts its iPod capacity in the realm of the Nano already.

When the next gen iPhone comes along with 30-80 gigs of storage, then maybe we can start thinking about Apple introducing a Nano iPhone.

That's the way I see it. I won't be replacing my 30 gig iPod with an 8 gig iPhone any day soon.

And just for the record, I don't see Apple having any reason for introducing a phone with minimal (or no) genuine Multitouch, iPod or internet facilities. The iPhone's entire USP would be gone.

I totally agree. My 30 gig iPod is with me until it dies by an unchargeable battery or simply not working anymore. If/when it does die, I hope there is a wide screen 30-40 gig iPod.

joepunk
Jul 9, 2007, 06:34 PM
don't really see this as being aimed at the young teenage crowed. 20yr olds and above sure.

maybe apple could create the keypad around the click wheel like in the pic below

Digital Skunk
Jul 9, 2007, 06:54 PM
Great news for the stock holders but I would rather see an unlocked GSM and CDMA iPhone Nano that can work on all networks. That would really make stock soar.

defeated
Jul 9, 2007, 07:03 PM
I bet $100 this will never happen. without Wi-Fi, any "nano" will be no better than any smarphone in the market, whats the attraction? where is the profit?

gutefahrt
Jul 9, 2007, 07:08 PM
I bet $100 this will never happen. without Wi-Fi, any "nano" will be no better than any smarphone in the market, whats the attraction? where is the profit?

Simple: iTunes. All the other phones out there with MP3 players suck. And by suck, I mean their PC interfaces suck. We own 5 iPods and use one piece of software to organize 'em. Having a simple phone with genuine iPod/iTunes software would drive profits.

EricNau
Jul 9, 2007, 07:10 PM
Who said anything about it being a smart phone?

Ireland
Jul 9, 2007, 07:18 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1195/718518654_1527b4bcb1_o.png

Here's my take on what the iPhone nano will be like when it comes out.
(Please excuse the fact that this image is in reverse, as my digital camera isn't with me now, so I used the built-in iSight to take this snap of my drawing.)

Take the existing look of the iPhone, same 3 sensors, same materials, same glass front, same aluminum back with chrome Apple logo, and the same black plastic bottom to cover the antennas.

Now, remove all 5 internet functions; stocks, maps, weather, Mail and Safari, and reduce the size of the screen from 3 1/2" to about 2 3/4", and reduce the size of the phone accordingly. As the screen is smaller than the iPhone, and it's not a smartphone, it will NOT have a QWERTY keyboard, but rather a T9 software equivalent like the Prada phone has. And you still have room for two more icons in the future, a games icon etc.

Some people say the iPhone is not a "smartphone", well the iPhone nano is definitely not a smartphone. It's an iPod that can make calls, send texts, and take snaps--all with a cool multi-touch UI under a full screen of glass. Oh, and yes it does video. 4GB and 8GB versions which should retail for about $349 and $449 respectively.

LaMerVipere
Jul 9, 2007, 07:20 PM
Looking at those diagrams, perhaps the clickwheel on this "iPhone nano" will be a touchscreen of its own that can change what it displays depending on what mode you're in. One minute it has numbers, the next letters, then the traditional play/pause iPod buttons, and still scroll as it should.

Still might be a bit strange though.

Just a thought, who knows. :)

p0intblank
Jul 9, 2007, 07:23 PM
If anyone here thinks the iPhone nano is coming out this year, they're kidding themselves. Sure, eventually... but not anytime soon. The iPhone just came out less than two weeks ago. If anything, we'll get a new iPod for the holidays, just like it's always been.

defeated
Jul 9, 2007, 07:30 PM
Simple: iTunes. All the other phones out there with MP3 players suck. And by suck, I mean their PC interfaces suck. We own 5 iPods and use one piece of software to organize 'em. Having a simple phone with genuine iPod/iTunes software would drive profits.
Im not sure if a cheap cell phone user would like an iTunes integration or iTunes music store, you are counting on a typical iPod loyalty IMHO.
Who said anything about it being a smart phone?
so what would that be?

job
Jul 9, 2007, 07:39 PM
that click wheel to enter in numbers reminds me of a rotary phone.

of course, anyone under 20 probably doesn't even remember or know what a rotary phone is. ;)

kaioken145
Jul 9, 2007, 07:42 PM
Hmm I don't think it will happen, i just can't imagine typing on a nano sized iphone :)

Now when the heck will we be able to change the ringtones, that's what I want to know.

ajhill
Jul 9, 2007, 07:53 PM
Gee, the kids in the Apple store line I was waiting in didn't seem to mind the size or price of the iPhone. One family bought 5, Mom, Dad, 3 kids. Now that's a Mac family.

I think the people that a still thinking in the 6 figure sales numbers haven't considered the 28% of iPhone purchasers who bought through the Apple website. No doubt Apple and ATT have gone well past 1,000,000 iPhones and are headed for 2 million. I should be interesting to see how they sell, now that they should be getting stock to all the stores in the next few days. I'm sure the workers over in China are making these suckers as fast as they can.

Pretty impressive when you out sell even Steve Jobs, optimistic sales estimates.

Romanesq
Jul 9, 2007, 08:09 PM
I call BS.

But gimme an upgraded iPhone without the phone functionality and I'm in :cool:

Agree on the BS call. What price break do people think will be on the 4 and 8GB by Christmas anyway? How does that leave room for another lower priced unit.

As far as what you want, I think you'll be getting it soon enough. Welcome to the video iPod.

MrCrowbar
Jul 9, 2007, 08:47 PM
linked image (http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1195/718518654_1527b4bcb1_o.png)

Here's my take

Nice drawing.

I like it... I like it a lot. An iPhone, just smaller without the internet stuff. Looking at videos isn't fun on such a small thing, so is surfing and doing e-Mails. It could either spot a standard 12 key touch keyboard with T9 or some other advanced input system with error correction and stuff. Or just have one Text line an a landscape keyboard.

It would be cheaper and you would not need the data plan as it only does calls and SMS. Make it $299 with 4GB and $349 with 8GB and you got a hot seller. It's like the nanos but for 5 bucks more, you can make calls with it.

Can somone make a mockup according to that picture?

*Y*
Jul 9, 2007, 08:52 PM
Introducing the iPhone Shuffle. Life is random, why shouldn't your phone be as well... A device the size of the current iPod shuffle without a display that automatically calls your best friend when you need a what what....now we are talking....:D

squirrellydw
Jul 9, 2007, 08:54 PM
My dream....

Nano size.
Glass touch screen.
Bluetooth

No Camera.
No internet.
No clam shell

Add the camera and text and I will buy it.

lord patton
Jul 9, 2007, 09:02 PM

No keyboard... the iPhone Nano will simply dial people at random from your contacts list. :D

(Because, Steve Jobs knows who you want to call)

I hate this joke more than the powerbook G5 next Tuesday ********. STOPITSTOPTITSTOPITSTOP!!!!!!!!!!!

Tux Kapono
Jul 9, 2007, 09:05 PM
During the past weeks when my friends asked me if I'm going to get an iPhone I've always replied, "I'm waiting for the iPhone Nano." It just makes way too much sense.

1. Who has ever paid $500-$600 for a cell phone until now? There's a huge market that they're leaving behind (ie the entire market up until now.)
2. The iPhone is big and heavy compared to phones like the RAZR, SLVR, etc. regardless of functionality. That is not Apple's trademark.
3. I'd love one-touch functionality during a call to put people on hold, merge, speaker, or add a caller with one touch. No phone I know does that.
4. No phone has their touchscreen patented scroll to go through contact lists, photos, music (and I bet video) so quickly, efficiently and beautifully either.
5. There's a whole population out there that doesn't want email on their phone, including myself. I mean, you gotta have a life sometime.
6. No phone has visual voicemail that I know of.
7. Put all that in a nano-sized work of art with a 2.0 megapixel camera for $249-$299 (ideally $199) and I'd switch yesterday.

deannnnn
Jul 9, 2007, 09:07 PM
linked image (http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1195/718518654_1527b4bcb1_o.png)

Reminds me of this that I saw online recently:
http://www.informationarchitects.jp/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/iphone_2.png

Your design looks nicer than whoever photoshopped those other ones. Hah.

gkarris
Jul 9, 2007, 09:09 PM
Put it on T-Mobile and I'm there...

Talking to friends on an iPhone Nano while watching a show on a 120Gig widescreen iPod (whoa, I think I just soiled my pants..) :p

MrCrowbar
Jul 9, 2007, 09:11 PM
Here ya go. Like Ireland's drawing, but I ditched the camera. You could add games there... iPods need games...

I made it so the screen is just a tiny bit wider than the casing of the iPod nano. That's enough for accurate thumb control. We only have 3 columns.

http://tinyurl.com/3bnrvr

sds7
Jul 9, 2007, 09:13 PM
There will definitely be an iPod Nano at some point. The future is all about convergence and Apple knows this. Soon there won't be any iPods that don't have the ability to make phone calls.

twoodcc
Jul 9, 2007, 09:18 PM
id be surprised by this, but would like to see it happen

MacTheSpoon
Jul 9, 2007, 09:20 PM
I wonder if the iPhone nano, if real, would still be limited to AT&T only. It would be great if it wasn't.

lord patton
Jul 9, 2007, 09:23 PM
If you're wondering if the iPod nano's screen is big enough for a multi-touch on-screen keyboard, it is.

In "landscape" mode, the nano is wider than the iPhone's screen. It is taller than the iPhone's keyboard, when it is in landscape mode in Safari. That means that text messaging, IM, and email, is definitely possible. And those will all work fine on EDGE.

To those who say that Apple will wait a good long time before introducing another product at a new price point, I think you're wrong. This is not the mp3 player market, which Apple made what it is. The cell-phone market is established, and has many many many offerings for under $300. Hell, it has a lot of offerings for free, and these phones increasingly play music.

Apple wants to compete in that market space. There is room to make the nano a little bigger, physically. (Really, I just held my nano up to my ear, and I don't like it. It needs to be thicker, and probably a bit longer and wider, too).The only question is how many features can they provide for $300/$400 this holiday season.

If they can give it visual voicemail, multitouch, IM, and email, they will sell them. Lots of them. Tell the parents they don't have to buy Johnny a separate iPod and cell phone, and they'll bite. Apple makes products people want to spend money on. They proved that (yet again) on June 29th.

squirrellydw
Jul 9, 2007, 09:30 PM
During the past weeks when my friends asked me if I'm going to get an iPhone I've always replied, "I'm waiting for the iPhone Nano." It just makes way too much sense.

1. Who has ever paid $500-$600 for a cell phone until now? There's a huge market that they're leaving behind (ie the entire market up until now.)
2. The iPhone is big and heavy compared to phones like the RAZR, SLVR, etc. regardless of functionality. That is not Apple's trademark.
3. I'd love one-touch functionality during a call to put people on hold, merge, speaker, or add a caller with one touch. No phone I know does that.
4. No phone has their touchscreen patented scroll to go through contact lists, photos, music (and I bet video) so quickly, efficiently and beautifully either.
5. There's a whole population out there that doesn't want email on their phone, including myself. I mean, you gotta have a life sometime.
6. No phone has visual voicemail that I know of.
7. Put all that in a nano-sized work of art with a 2.0 megapixel camera for $249-$299 (ideally $199) and I'd switch yesterday.

Right but can they do it cheap enough?? They say the current iPhone costs Apple about $250 to make, can they make the nano phone cheaper and still make money? I don't think it HAS to have a touch screen but it does have to have visual voice mail, a camera and text. 4 to 8 gig of memory would be nice to, otherwise I think it would simply be another phone.

c'mon Apple do it

ajhill
Jul 9, 2007, 09:45 PM
These so called experts also claim that the profit margin on the iPhone is not as high as the firm that took one apart claimed that it was. They pulled one apart and got a 55% profit margin. The financial types said that the margin was just average, like all the other cell phone markers. Let me be the first to say that there is nothing average about this device. And the keyboard works great. Used it for this posting.

deannnnn
Jul 9, 2007, 09:50 PM
I took Ireland's idea and photoshopped it.
I had to give the SMS button a new color... two greens next to each other just doesnt work :)
Oh, and yeah... I changed AT&T to Sprint. I like Sprint :D
haha.

http://www.deandagati.com/iphonenano.jpg

MrCrowbar
Jul 9, 2007, 09:55 PM
I had to give the SMS button a new color... two greens next to each other just doesnt work :)
haha.

linked image (http://www.deandagati.com/iphonenano.jpg)

damn, you're better than me at PS:)

The iPhone looks so clunky and crowded with icons compared to its imaginative little sibling. Who needs google earth, mail and safari all the time?
Come to think on it: thi might actually be what we get in Europe: the iPhone nano. 3G Problem solved.

squirrellydw
Jul 9, 2007, 10:10 PM
damn, you're better than me at PS:)

The iPhone looks so clunky and crowded with icons compared to its imaginative little sibling. Who needs google earth, mail and safari all the time?
Come to think on it: thi might actually be what we get in Europe: the iPhone nano. 3G Problem solved.

I like it a lot but we need safari for extra programs, not for the web.

brepublican
Jul 9, 2007, 10:18 PM
Agree on the BS call. What price break do people think will be on the 4 and 8GB by Christmas anyway? How does that leave room for another lower priced unit.

As far as what you want, I think you'll be getting it soon enough. Welcome to the video iPod.

Yeah, but the million dollar question is when?? There's another couple months til the festive season, and if AAPL can get this baby out by like October, I'm willing to bet my soul there are a lot of folks out there who are williing to sell theirs to get one of these for Christmas-ish :rolleyes:

brepublican
Jul 9, 2007, 10:19 PM
And will people stop with the photoshops?? I mean, guys, c'mon. From experience, those things are nowhere near actuality so why do we keep doing it, year after year? :rolleyes:

Stridder44
Jul 9, 2007, 10:30 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted. Check it: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19682602/

MSNBC is reporting it as truth. Usually when a big news source posts something, it's for reals, yes? Anyway, the article:

Apple plans cheaper, Nano-based phone
Chang said follow to iPhone could be priced at $300 or lower

Reuters: Updated: 1:52 p.m. PT July 9, 2007

Apple plans to launch a cheaper version of the iPhone in the fourth quarter that could be based on the ultra-slim iPod Nano music player, according to a JP Morgan report.

Kevin Chang, a JP Morgan analyst based in Taiwan, cited people in the supply channel that he did not name and an application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark office for his report.

Apple filed a patent application document that refers to a multifunctional handheld device with a circular touch pad control, similar to the Nano’s scroll wheel.

Apple did not respond to requests for comment.

Long lines of people turned out on June 29 when U.S. sales began for the iPhone, a mobile phone with a music player and Web browser. Analysts have estimated that sales in the first weekend were as high as 700,000 units.

Chang said a way to follow up the iPhone with a cheaper version would be to convert the Nano into a phone and price it at $300 or lower. The iPhone sells for $500 and $600, depending on storage space.

“We believe that iPod Nano will be converted into a phone because it’s probably the only way for Apple to launch a lower end phone without severely cannibalizing iPod Nano,” he said noting that the new phone could have “rather limited functionality.”

Because of the anticipated lower price, 2008 sales of 30 million to 40 million units “is achievable,” Chang said.

This would be a much larger volume than is expected of the first iPhone, Apple has targeted sales of 10 million units in 2008, which would give it a 1 percent share of the global market.

Sales of the iPhone are expected to be limited to a small percentage of the market due to its high price tag, particularly in the United States where 85 percent of consumers tend to spend $100 or less on cell phones.

But analysts predict that a cheaper phone from Apple, which leads the digital music player market, could pose a much bigger threat to long-established phone makers such as Nokia, Motorola, Samsung Electronics and Sony Ericsson, owned by Sony and Ericsson.

Ireland
Jul 9, 2007, 10:38 PM
haha.

Wow, that's excellent. If you could only make it a little bit bigger though, but keep the icons the same size. If you tweaked the size of the nano iPhone just a tad--just to give the "Settings" icon a little breathing space--it'd look perfect to me. You'll probably need to add a slighter of width too, if you were going to make it a little taller--it looks ever-so-slightly too skinny. Still 99% there though--right on.

cleanup
Jul 9, 2007, 10:41 PM
Sales of the iPhone are expected to be limited to a small percentage of the market due to its high price tag, particularly in the United States where 85 percent of consumers tend to spend $100 or less on cell phones.

Ta-daaaaaa.

While I doubt Apple will be taking the mobile phone market by storm anytime soon (I doubt they're going to start churning out cookie-cutter phones like the other companies), they could make an impact with a low-end phone. Start a new craze, like how the iPod exploded with popularity a few years ago and everybody and their grandma had one. That could easily happen with the iPhone Nano. Offer it in different colors, add a Ringtones store to iTunes, offer picture messaging, etc. Everyday consumers will snatch them up without hesitating. Since a lot of iPod owners don't even know that Apple is the company behind it (they think iPod is a brand or a company name), I imagine the tagline to be "From the makers of iPod," like they did with the iMac G5. People will go insane.

samh004
Jul 9, 2007, 10:41 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted. Check it: link (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19682602/)

MSNBC is reporting it as truth. Usually when a big news source posts something, it's for reals, yes?

Just means they have joined the band wagon of crazy rumours since the iPhone was announced and are now posting anything they can find...

Jprice02
Jul 9, 2007, 11:03 PM
iPod nano full wide screen multi-touch. iChat, Touch Phone App., Coverflow Videos/Music/Pictures, Camera Phone, No Web, Visual Voice Mail.(*Wide screen typing only*) marketed for younger generation. $249 and $349 models.

Im Probably Way Off.

bigjohn
Jul 9, 2007, 11:12 PM
in the immortal words of nelson muntz:

Ha ha!

corywoolf
Jul 9, 2007, 11:16 PM
It's totally plausible.

How about:

- 4 GB iPhone nano (no WiFi) $299.99
- 8 GB iPhone $499.99

corywoolf
Jul 9, 2007, 11:20 PM
haha.

No YouTube?!? :confused::D

shipdestroyer
Jul 9, 2007, 11:26 PM
Make it stop! Please!

zombitronic
Jul 9, 2007, 11:36 PM
Obviously a cheap attempt to deter iPhone sales and lower AAPL's share price. It'll happen when/if Jobs says it'll happen. Apple is usually at least one step ahead of speculating, overpaid analysts, remember?

zombitronic
Jul 9, 2007, 11:51 PM
MSNBC is reporting it as truth. Usually when a big news source posts something, it's for reals, yes?

Like WMDs, the imminent threat of the bird flu, and Y2K.

dontwalkhand
Jul 9, 2007, 11:57 PM
Anyone thinks the iPhone nano might just be 512MB and 1GB just to be cheaper? Also, could be no Maps, widgets etc. But I doubt they would take out internet. look at the Sidekick ID for comparison with SK3.

LaMerVipere
Jul 9, 2007, 11:59 PM
Like WMDs.

:)

JPyre
Jul 10, 2007, 12:02 AM
Didn't see it mentioned yet...

Um... there is no and will be no iPhone nano / 2nd cheaper iPhone.

There will, however, be an ipod with touch screen.

This artcile is soo far off its amazing, honestly its rediculous to even read.

"touch wheel" - wtf is a touch wheel on a phone going to do? a firefly clone?
"it's probably the only way for Apple to launch a lower end phone without severely cannibalizing iPod Nano"

This is just so badly written and based on nothing even relavent I don't even know where to start....

CalBoy
Jul 10, 2007, 12:06 AM
iPod nano full wide screen multi-touch. iChat, Touch Phone App., Coverflow Videos/Music/Pictures, Camera Phone, No Web, Visual Voice Mail.(*Wide screen typing only*) marketed for younger generation. $249 and $349 models.

Im Probably Way Off.

I think you've got it. If it's for real, we'll see it by late November. Hopefully it's true...I can't afford $500, but $250-350 is a lot more affordable.

BWhaler
Jul 10, 2007, 12:17 AM
This, from the idiot, who predicted an iPod refresh by January 2008.

I don't know what's worse, the fact that these people get paid hundred of thousands of dollars to write this crap or the fact that Macrumors repeats it.

It's pure, idiotic speculation folks.

And the nano iPod is not coming anytime soon. Apple made it as small as it gets...

The next 12 months are going to be about the software....

ajhill
Jul 10, 2007, 12:41 AM
Great idea for people who don't want the data end of a smart phone. The iPhone will be the high end of the market and the iPhone nano will fill in nicely on the lower end. Apple and att have sold a ton of iPhones, including the one I'm furiously typing away on. Yes, you can type fast of a smart phone without a plastic keyboard. An iPhone nano for Christmas would take the cell phone market by storm.

Think of all the royalties that Apple will be collecting for years to come.

ezekielrage_99
Jul 10, 2007, 01:10 AM
It's seems as though if Reuters don't know something they "speculate" which is journalism talk for making stuff up.

strieck
Jul 10, 2007, 01:16 AM
If we were going to see an iPhone Nano in Q4 I think it would have been announced by now. Didn't Apple announce the iPhone six months before launch because of the long, public FCC approval process?

ajhill
Jul 10, 2007, 01:16 AM
With the iPhone and now the iPhone Nano the question that has to be answered is how much does Apple get each month. For instance, let's say Apple gets $3 per phone. That means for every 3 million phones sold Apple takes in 100 million in pure profit. When they reach 30 million phones the royalties alone will increase profit by 10%, not counting the profit on the phone itself. Lets face it Apple os going to sell a lot more than 10 million in the first 18 months. They might make 10 million this year.

lazyrighteye
Jul 10, 2007, 02:12 AM

100% agreed.
We won't see any changes to the iPhone line until after MWSF 08, earliest.
I just find it hard to believe they'd mess with a product that sold ~1 million units in ~TWO DAYS. No way. Huh uh. Not happening.
Wait until we start seeing iPhone sales slow or the market is so inundated with iPhones... Only then are we gonna see the next addition to the iPhone family.

My $.02.

iris_failsafe
Jul 10, 2007, 02:31 AM
nah the next thing is apple pipeline are the new macs i think theyb will wait just like with the iphone to see how it works refine it and so on, then probably yes... but not for now

A Pittarelli
Jul 10, 2007, 02:50 AM
this would be brilliant as the "free" or pack in phone just, just strip it of some data features and make it a good mp3 player and phone

Matteh117
Jul 10, 2007, 03:01 AM
The price tag would make me buy it, but thinking about how many features it would be missing puts me right off.

Would be a complete waste if it didn't have a touch screen, and if it did, it would be too small to do anything with.

Meh.

surferfromuk
Jul 10, 2007, 03:33 AM
Of course there will be an iPhone Nano...what loony thinks otherwise!!

Nokia sell 100million pieces of crap phones a QUARTER!

iPhone Nano will obviously be superior - of that no one can deny since Apple are masters of the GUI universe...

So why would Apple 'get into the phone business' and not want a slice of the nano action ??

It makes perfect sense - Ipod Nano + Phone = IPhone Nano

Very simple - very elegant - very affordable - the best of both worlds.

My guess is this will be the same price as a current nano and so will totally cannibalize straight ipod nano sales.

They will still for the time being sell a classic nano without the phone at just $20 less.

The contract subsidy will indirectly pay Apple for the difference in manufacturing costs for the iPhone.

Poff
Jul 10, 2007, 03:55 AM
A smaller iPhone will have to come sooner or later. (Rather sooner)

Nowadays, at least here in Norway, every $50 phone has an mp3-player and memory card support. a lot of people buy this + $20 1GB memory card = $70. There's no way a $500 phone will compete with that, even with the extra features and 3GB memory. (1GB for OS)

For me, the form-factor would be the deciding part. I mean, the iPhone is HUGE. I would like to have a phone with a form-factor something like this:

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/ma663_alt.jpg

aswitcher
Jul 10, 2007, 04:09 AM
It would be nice to see it this year.

princigalli
Jul 10, 2007, 04:10 AM
This could be great news but knowing Apple who knows who they pick for your service and then we'd start again with the same theater as for the iphone. And we'll be forced to use Nano licensed from criminal groups like ATT, O2, or Enron.

Poff
Jul 10, 2007, 04:11 AM
Here ya go. Like Ireland's drawing, but I ditched the camera. You could add games there... iPods need games...

I made it so the screen is just a tiny bit wider than the casing of the iPod nano. That's enough for accurate thumb control. We only have 3 columns.

I'm guessing that SMS would be kept a widget to keep an uniform appearance with it's big brother. However, such a phone would never go below $400, with the multi-touch screen. (that is why I think Apple will wait. Till they can sell it for $250 or something..)

The downside is that all mobile phones have video support, and some kind of internet support nowadays, so the iPhone nano would really be technically outdated compared to other phones. You wouldn't be able to buy background images, mms-templates, funny pictures and stuff the youths buy a lot of..

surferfromuk
Jul 10, 2007, 04:24 AM

Cool...

Of course doesn't need to be as wide or long since no need for a vertical alpha-numeric keypad. SMS would always be done in landscape mode with a full width keypad. Not so sure about ditching the camera though.

Otherwise , very nice - definitely Get's my vote...:)

Nokia, motorola et all must be bricking it right now...

syriana
Jul 10, 2007, 04:28 AM
If we were going to see an iPhone Nano in Q4 I think it would have been announced by now. Didn't Apple announce the iPhone six months before launch because of the long, public FCC approval process?

That's a smart thought. How long does the FCC process takes?
If it's 4 months you're spot on, if it's two, this overpaid "expert" or "analyst" can still be right..

LoganT
Jul 10, 2007, 04:38 AM
How do they make the iPhone Nano? Do they remove all storage?

psendeavor
Jul 10, 2007, 05:21 AM
And the nano iPod is not coming anytime soon.I bought one last year...

Jul 10, 2007, 05:33 AM
that's great news.
Apple needs a cheaper iPhone to attract more buyers. The price tag of $499 and $599 is too high for most folks. The iPhone nano should cost $199 to $299. That would be more realistic.
They will sell like crazy.

I just wish they had two choices of carrier, like AT&T and Verizon.:(

True. I would love a cheaper iPhone. The current price isn't too bad, but unless it is no more than around 150 and on pay as you go, I'm not really interested.

Oh, also, I want to be able to use my Virgin SIM.

peharri
Jul 10, 2007, 05:57 AM
"We believe that iPod Nano will be converted into a phone because it's probably the only way for Apple to launch a lower end phone without severely cannibalizing iPod Nano,"

You know, this part of the argument does make sense. A number of people have pointed out that the $5-600 iPhone isn't viable in the long term, it's just not the case that most people are going to be willing to spend that kind of money, especially in an environment in which most people are used to spending no more than $100, and frequently nothing at all, on a new phone.

On top of which, the iPhone itself is somewhat large and generally not appealing to everybody.

There are two real options: The first is that Apple doesn't care, they'll just take the high-end consumer phone market away from... who has that now, Nokia? And they'll stay there, producing minority interest expensive (but arguably worth it) devices much as they did in the computer industry.

The other is that Apple will want to grow their phone business, and if so they do have to produce devices that are considerably cheaper than what they offer today. Cutting the price of the iPhone would be an interesting move, but it starts to make the iPod nano look seriously over-priced the lower it gets.

I'd imagine that Apple has plans to launch a range of phones in the next year. I'd be surprised if higher capacity devices aren't released, replacing the current iPhone at the same price point. And I'd be surprised if a much smaller iPhone, possibly one that eschews the multitouch interface and much of the iPhone functionality, at a much lower price, doesn't also come out.

We will probably see the OS X iPods first though. Hopefully those will give us some clue as to where Apple is thinking...

rob@robburns.co
Jul 10, 2007, 06:32 AM
This could be great news but knowing Apple who knows who they pick for your service and then we'd start again with the same theater as for the iphone. And we'll be forced to use Nano licensed from criminal groups like ATT, O2, or Enron.

You want cell phone service from a non-criminal group? Is this for the Neverland market that you're talking about?

Zygon Gambit
Jul 10, 2007, 07:14 AM
I would buy if they made a Nano iPod that had a phone, SMS and address book. I don't care about anything else.

But it would have to come unlocked, and be able to be put on any network.

sishaw
Jul 10, 2007, 07:22 AM
Obviously a cheap attempt to deter iPhone sales and lower AAPL's share price. It'll happen when/if Jobs says it'll happen. Apple is usually at least one step ahead of speculating, overpaid analysts, remember?

Wouldn't a new phone coming out in Q4 have to be submitted to the FCC for approval about...now? So we'd know, right?

Oops, Strieck beat me to it.

interairproxima
Jul 10, 2007, 07:51 AM
This seems right in line with what everyone else outside of the US is predicting as well. In India, every news channel proclaims that in the end, there will be an iPhone in everyone's pocket, including kids. And I really don't think kids need a smartphone.
I did have an idea though: what about a SkypePhone? Makes calls wherever there is a WiFi network just like Skype? Or it could be through Cisco, because that's what their iPhone does, right? It makes VoIP calls. Could this be what apple meant by compatibility with Cisco's services in the future? It could browse the internet where there are hotspots, but otherwise remain just an iPod with internet functionality? Kinda beats the purpose of naming it a Phone, but this way Apple doesn't need to really make a phone, just put some type of software into it and then let people pay IF they want to use the phone service. Otherwise, just sell it as an OSX iPod.

rt_brained
Jul 10, 2007, 08:16 AM
CNBC reporter, Erin Burnett, now giving the "iPhone Nano" claim by JP Morgan's Kevin Chang creedence this morning on Joe Scarborough's show. However, I don't buy it.

First off, Apple would be foolish to submit drawings related to future products to the patent office in 'literal" form for all to see. Patent drawings are meant to be interpretive; and a tech-savvy company like Apple is smart to try and lead people down false paths while these ideas are being explored.

The timing might seem odd, considering their recent payout to Creative Technology, but Apple could simply be exploring a new 3D selection menu, a la Front Row. I think it makes sense, from a branding point-of-view, to bring Front Row's menu design to the iPod.

I think Chang is a nimrod for calling this one. I don't doubt that Apple might explore a smaller, less feature-rich version of the iPhone, but for all of the money Apple has put into the iPhone's design and launch, not to mention the huge risk doing so, it makes zero sense to backtrack on the product's design by launching a smaller version of an iPhone that looks like yesterday's iPod. The glass and metal design IS the iPhone. It may also be the future design of the iPod...but the scroll-wheel iPod is not (well, shouldn't be) the "back to the future" design of ANY device carrying the iPhone name.

In other words,
A) iPhones will always look like iPhones
B) iPods of the future might start looking more like iPhones (Apple's commercial says the iPhone is the best iPod they've ever made), yet retain some of the scroll wheel's conveniences
C) iPhones will not look like yesterday's scroll wheel iPods

CormacMaclaggan
Jul 10, 2007, 08:39 AM

Im Probably Way Off.

Actually....that doesn't sound too far off to me. haha

ajhill
Jul 10, 2007, 08:47 AM
Iphone, Baby!

Baby iPhone, Baby!

You have to like the sound of this one. Now if I could only get my Mac keyboard to do that iPhone auto correct thingy.

What does this 2nd iPhone do for the sales estimates of 10 million?

Double, triple? It's less money. Less price resistance...

"Chang concluded by saying that Apple could potentially sell about 40 million units of this "iPhone nano" in 2008, severely damaging the Motorola RAZR market."

If Apple sells 40 million iPhone Nanos and 10 million iPhone originals that would be 50 million monthly royalty payments to Apple. If the payment is $3/mo from each bill that would mean $1.8 BILLION dollars in PURE PROFIT each year for Apple Inc.

You Gotta love that!

BKKbill
Jul 10, 2007, 08:57 AM
Cheaper iPhone Nano. Get over it this is going to happen. Do you really thing everyone is going to spend 500-600 hundred us dollars on a phone even if the dollar is tanking in the world. :p

Nym
Jul 10, 2007, 09:00 AM
I wouldn't buy an iPhone, but I'd buy an iPhone Nano, and Apple knows that a lot of people are in this situation and I bet they're going to do something about it, sooner or later.

It's not that I find the price tag on the iPhone outrageous, but the phone itself is too big for my daily usage.

I want something small to replace my iPod Nano and Nokia crapphone, iPhone Nano would be puuuurfect :D

gnasher729
Jul 10, 2007, 09:02 AM
These so called experts also claim that the profit margin on the iPhone is not as high as the firm that took one apart claimed that it was. They pulled one apart and got a 55% profit margin. The financial types said that the margin was just average, like all the other cell phone markers. Let me be the first to say that there is nothing average about this device. And the keyboard works great. Used it for this posting.

The 55% profit margin is nonsense. That 55% is the difference between the cost to build an iPhone and the end user sales price. This is not how you calculate profit.

First, Apple keeps profits for (Apple the hardware/software manufacturer) and (Apple the retailer) separate. If you buy an iMac for $999 at an Apple Store, (Apple the hardware manufacturer) doesn't count it as $999, but as whatever an independent retailer would pay to Apple for an iMac, say $800. Same with the iPhone. So Apple will count the iPhone only as say $500 instead of $599, so that the Apple Retail Store can make a bit of money from the difference between $500 and $599.

Next, Apple's cost is not the cost of building an iPhone. You have to add cost of shipping, warranty replacements, support. If Apple builds 1,000,000 iPhones, some will be broken, lost, stolen, left in a box under some staircase, all that needs to be added. When you take everything into account, you get gross margin - gross margin is how much Apple is better off if _you_ go into a store and buy one iPhone instead of buying a Razr or Treo or whatever. Expect gross margin to be more like 30%.

Then you subtract development cost, cost of advertising, paying for all the managers sitting in management meetings, all the cost that Apple has whether _you_ buy a phone or not. When you subtract that, then you end up with profit margin, and that is likely around 10% - 15% and not more.

princigalli
Jul 10, 2007, 09:06 AM
You want cell phone service from a non-criminal group? Is this for the Neverland market that you're talking about?

You are right, but I thing most people like to have a choice even when it comes to being ripped off.

Besides, I could list a few operators I found and tried that are really fine. No contracts, very, very cheap, and reliable.

njfuzzy
Jul 10, 2007, 09:10 AM
Think back. When rumors of the iPhone first started coming out, they were oddly split between (mostly) rumors of a well-made Phone/iPod combi, and (fewer) rumors of a new breed of Smartphone.

Why would Apple release the Smartphone first? Good business. You don't want to release two new products at once, too risky, too much self-competition, too expensive, etc. If you have two products, you release the higher-end one first, because early adopters are willing to pay a premium. Wait for people like me ($600 on opening day for 1.0? Sure!) to buy the iPhone... then, down the road, release the iPhone nano for people who don't want to pay as much.

My predictions on some details:

Size: Just like the iPhone is slightly larger than an iPod, the iPhone nano will be slightly larger than a nano. They can get away with it when combining multiple devices in one, and releasing a 1.0 product.

Form Factor: This will either be a candybar integrating phone and iPod functions, or a smaller widescreen touch screen. I'd say 70% odds its a mini-iPhone, 30% odds its a clever variation on the nano. (Slider, flip, dial-wheel, etc.)

Web: This phone won't have the web. This will reduce power consumption, work better with a smaller screen, cut cost in a big way. Also, it means it doesn't compete with the iPhone-- one is a nice MP3 Phone, the other is a Unique Smartphone. iPhone competes with the Treo, iPhone nano competes with the RAZR2.

Price: Just like the iPhone costs a fraction more than the iPod, the iPhone nano will cost a fraction more than the iPod nano. I am guessing $250 or $300.

Capacity: Just like the iPhone stores less than the iPod, the iPhone nano will store less than the iPod nano. (Again, don't compete with yourself-- differentiate products.) I predict this will come as a single 2 GB or 4 GB model, no choice.

Subsidy: Apple demanded that this phone not be sibsidized because it would cannibalize sales of the upcoming widescreen iPod (and the current iPods in the meantime). The iPhone nano would compete with other phones (Chocolate, Fusiq, RAZR, etc.) that have MP3 players more directly, so a subsidy here would make more sense. $199 with a contract at first wouldn't surprise me.

Functions: Phone (w/Contacts, Favorites, etc.), SMS, Photos, Camera, Calculator, Calendar, Clock, Notes, Settings. (No Notes if it doesn't have the widescreen multi-touch.)

Limited Web Access: One strong possibility is that the web access could be there, but not limited. No browser, just EDGE apps like Google Maps, Weather, and other widgets. If they do this, iChat will appear first on the iPhone nano, then on the regular iPhone soon after.

Colors: This phone will eventually come in colors. Expect to see black at release, then white, then all-silver, then possibly bright colors.

princigalli
Jul 10, 2007, 09:10 AM
This seems right in line with what everyone else outside of the US is predicting as well. In India, every news channel proclaims that in the end, there will be an iPhone in everyone's pocket, including kids. And I really don't think kids need a smartphone.
I did have an idea though: what about a SkypePhone? Makes calls wherever there is a WiFi network just like Skype? Or it could be through Cisco, because that's what their iPhone does, right? It makes VoIP calls. Could this be what apple meant by compatibility with Cisco's services in the future? It could browse the internet where there are hotspots, but otherwise remain just an iPod with internet functionality? Kinda beats the purpose of naming it a Phone, but this way Apple doesn't need to really make a phone, just put some type of software into it and then let people pay IF they want to use the phone service. Otherwise, just sell it as an OSX iPod.

There's a Hong Kong based company in Italy, "3", they offer a Nokia Symbian with Skype incorporated. You don't need a wifi spot. "3" works on 3G and Skype takes advantage of flat data rates on its network.

What's strange is that if you go on Skype internet site they have no version for Symbian. But now wee see their software being sold for "3" and locked to work only for them.

So Skype was supposed to be the champion of freedom from Telecoms, but apparently they are finding the Microsoft/Apple ways a lot more attractive. They would also like to select companies for you.

carlgo
Jul 10, 2007, 09:20 AM
I could see myself getting an Iphone/Ipod/Newton thing, but my wife would have to get the simplest and cheapest phone-only option. She is not at all interested in computer or Ipod functions.

There are a lot of possibilities for different needs and Apple will probably address all of them, but likely not quickly.

My concern is with the cost and disappointments of hooking up land lines, WiFi, cell coverage, etc. more than the cost of various devices.

Yankees 4 Life
Jul 10, 2007, 09:46 AM

hey man my AAPL stock is going up through the rooooooof!! let the rumors fly!

Yankees 4 Life
Jul 10, 2007, 09:54 AM
this would be awesome because i could get one for my little brother, since i could only afford my own iphone... lol

interairproxima
Jul 10, 2007, 09:56 AM
There's a Hong Kong based company in Italy, "3", they offer a Nokia Symbian with Skype incorporated. You don't need a wifi spot. "3" works on 3G and Skype takes advantage of flat data rates on its network.

What's strange is that if you go on Skype internet site they have no version for Symbian. But now wee see their software being sold for "3" and locked to work only for them.

So Skype was supposed to be the champion of freedom from Telecoms, but apparently they are finding the Microsoft/Apple ways a lot more attractive. They would also like to select companies for you.
See, my idea was to make this just a widescreen iPod with the option of being a phone. Skype's rates are awesome, but if you use 3G you once again are paying for data and that almost always means that you end up with a large phone bill. Tons of people use Skype, so why not just make the widescreen iPod running OS X that we know is coming come BTO with Skype and a speaker and mic, so you can use it as a phone as well?

lcm123
Jul 10, 2007, 10:07 AM
would releasing an iPhone Nano now allow apple to use another wireless provider, one which the rest prefers like verizon, t-mobile, ... which could be a very good thing.

rob@robburns.co
Jul 10, 2007, 10:09 AM

You are right, but I think most people like to have a choice even when it comes to being ripped off.

Oh, so you want the choice of which criminal group services you. You're wish is granted. There's never been more criminal groups to choose from. :)

MonkeyClaw
Jul 10, 2007, 10:10 AM
The 55% profit margin is nonsense. That 55% is the difference between the cost to build an iPhone and the end user sales price. This is not how you calculate profit.

First, Apple keeps profits for (Apple the hardware/software manufacturer) and (Apple the retailer) separate. If you buy an iMac for $999 at an Apple Store, (Apple the hardware manufacturer) doesn't count it as $999, but as whatever an independent retailer would pay to Apple for an iMac, say $800. Same with the iPhone. So Apple will count the iPhone only as say $500 instead of $599, so that the Apple Retail Store can make a bit of money from the difference between $500 and $599.

Next, Apple's cost is not the cost of building an iPhone. You have to add cost of shipping, warranty replacements, support. If Apple builds 1,000,000 iPhones, some will be broken, lost, stolen, left in a box under some staircase, all that needs to be added. When you take everything into account, you get gross margin - gross margin is how much Apple is better off if _you_ go into a store and buy one iPhone instead of buying a Razr or Treo or whatever. Expect gross margin to be more like 30%.

Then you subtract development cost, cost of advertising, paying for all the managers sitting in management meetings, all the cost that Apple has whether _you_ buy a phone or not. When you subtract that, then you end up with profit margin, and that is likely around 10% - 15% and not more.

Hit the nail on the head. :)

Batman Sucks
Jul 10, 2007, 10:17 AM
It's been mentioned a few times in this thread already that Apple is always putting out patents on technologies we may never see or Apple doesn't intend to use...

To most of the Apple regulars we are always seeing these rumors and speculating and we take it all with a grain of salt.

I think this is just the media capitalizing on all the iPhone hysteria... I am sure they'd like to keep these stories rolling as long as possible...

As far as Apple dominating the phone market... well, boy I'd like to see some new COMPUTER hardware sometime soon... ... ...

And maybe and update to iLife.... oh and I heard something about a new OS... wonder where that is...

rubberduck007
Jul 10, 2007, 10:39 AM

j/k/Andy thinks it will be a flip-phone. But again.... why? Where's the innovation? What makes this different than other flip-phones on the market? Other than being from Apple? Sure, it might look prettier, and be ever so slightly easier to use -- but Apple didn't spend all this money, all this time, and all this research and development just to make yet-another flip-phone. It makes no sense.

I seriously think people here just want something that's MADE by Apple, but is cheaper than the iPhone -- but aren't really thinking much beyond that, and aren't taking into account the reasons why Apple wouldn't do something like this. WHY would Apple bother with a product that just has their name on it, but works/functions like most other phones out there?

I honestly don't think the iPhone is going to be THAT much smaller for a while. Thinner, maybe. Lighter, sure. But the screen size is probably going to stay the same -- at least until foldable screens get invented sometime in the future. This rules out a "nano-sized" phone for the time being...

Now this guy talks sense... end this thread now.. it's a dead duck rumour...

gkarris
Jul 10, 2007, 11:06 AM
It can't be too small, though. It will need to be big enough to use the touchscreen. I tried the iPhone out and it fit nicely in my hand and I was able to do everything using only my thumb!

If they stick it to us again and it's available only on AppleT&T, then I'm going to SCREEEEEAM!!!

:eek:

zombitronic
Jul 10, 2007, 11:09 AM
hey man my AAPL stock is going up through the rooooooof!! let the rumors fly!

Yeah, man. I called that wrong. No complaints from me, though. I know it's up on rumors, I'm just surprised that this one is getting so much official attention.

princealfie
Jul 10, 2007, 11:12 AM
Now this guy talks sense... end this thread now.. it's a dead duck rumour...

Actually speaking of which I love to eat some dead duck once in awhile you know?

sam10685
Jul 10, 2007, 11:16 AM
No plan needed???

koobcamuk
Jul 10, 2007, 11:21 AM
severely damaging the Motorola RAZR market."

There isn't one in Europe any more. Maybe people still have that heap of **** phone in the USA... :rolleyes:

jonny
Jul 10, 2007, 11:24 AM

I highly doubt apple would release a flip phone. :)

koobcamuk
Jul 10, 2007, 11:24 AM
See, my idea was to make this just a widescreen iPod with the option of being a phone. Skype's rates are awesome, but if you use 3G you once again are paying for data and that almost always means that you end up with a large phone bill. Tons of people use Skype, so why not just make the widescreen iPod running OS X that we know is coming come BTO with Skype and a speaker and mic, so you can use it as a phone as well?

You don't pay for the 3G data with Skype on '3'. It's all in the bundle of what you pay per month. It's really cool - phoning the world for tuppence.

ajhill
Jul 10, 2007, 11:28 AM
Well, based on all the excitement here today, if Apple hasn't already made this phone, it look like they should.

It really makes a lot of sense. The multi-tiered model works for the iPod. No reason why it won't work for cell phones.

And if anyone still believes that Apple is only shooting for 1% of the cell phone market... looks like the 10%-20% market share is the neighborhood is what they are shooting for.

Should be fun, no matter what the iPhone Nano ends up looking like.

Matteh117
Jul 10, 2007, 11:28 AM
Anyone remember that double-sided nano-sized.. phone?

Yeah...

EagerDragon
Jul 10, 2007, 11:41 AM
I am not fully convinced that this is a good idea. While the cheaper price may attract people with more limited budgets, the functionality and ease of use would have to be similar for a user to change from MOTO to Apple.

If the functionality is lower, maybe it wont be as attractive to customers. If we set asside that Apple writes nice code that provide great user experience; then we are looking at a comparizon of phone features, things like GPS, email, contacts, normal phone capabilites, SMS, MMS, BT, most phones have and some even include very text oriented web browsing and some even have 802.11b/g. How much can you cut out and still be able to compete features wise?

Not sure!!!!!!!!!!!!

EagerDragon
Jul 10, 2007, 11:46 AM
IMHO, what Apple needs is to lower the price by 100, the current version would be perfect at that price point.

If you take features away to create a cheaper phone it is not as as attractive to switch.

EagerDragon
Jul 10, 2007, 11:58 AM
it makes zero sense to backtrack on the product's design by launching a smaller version of an iPhone that looks like yesterday's iPod. The glass and metal design IS the iPhone. It may also be the future design of the iPod...but the scroll-wheel iPod is not (well, shouldn't be) the "back to the future" design of ANY device carrying the iPhone name.

HeHe, it is called the RETRO look (looking like an old iPOD for those that miss the good old times) (JK).

gstylez
Jul 10, 2007, 12:32 PM
I guess why Apple would create a Nano Phone is just to make it an all in one device. Most people are getting tired of carrying an iPod and Cell Phone in their pockets. So why not combine them.

I don't think it would have Safari, but maybe wifi/edge/3g network just for apps like google maps, weather, and stock etc..(widgets). iPod functions for sure, store picture. Video would be pointless. Great for txt message... maybe it will have a camera too.

I will just have to wait until Apple makes an Official Announcement.

MrCrowbar
Jul 10, 2007, 01:54 PM

1. "Normal" people don't use skype and also don't want to.
2. Skype is epxensive, al least around here. I rarely call any landlines and I'm alway cheaper calling mobile number from my cellphone than through skype.

Zukum
Jul 10, 2007, 03:58 PM
A fun and practical user interace could be the click wheel with a screen displaying an old fasion rotary phone.

I will never buy an iPhone because we non-business oriented people are never so far away from a computer (yet somehow within wi-fi range) that we NEED to check stock prices, email, or google maps RIGHT NOW. That's why I buy normal cell phones and not smart phones. I would love a iphone nano if all it did was play music, make calls and interace with itunes.

auenway
Jul 10, 2007, 04:12 PM
Hmm I dont get why some of you think they cant add email?

If you look at the nano right now it has everything an iPod has besides video, so Im pretty sure if there ever is a iPhone Nano that it will have all the features of an iPhone it will just be small it size and capacity.

If you think about it the only reason why a nano cant play video is because of its screen size, but if the iphone nano is going to have a screen the size of the whole nano Im pretty sure they cant fit just about everything on it.

The reason why people love the nano is because it can do everything an ipod can, besides video but that isn't such a big deal, and it is smaller in size and it is cheaper.

I also think iphone Nano will not happen this year.

niclet
Jul 10, 2007, 04:20 PM
So, it will probably be release with the new iLife bundle ;)

EagerDragon
Jul 10, 2007, 04:30 PM
I do not see why some one would switch to an Apple phone (other than the current iPhone which is great) if Apple removes features or reduces integration. I do not see what they can cut out to reduce it to that price level without making the phone a piece of dodo and a failure.

Apple name has prestige and cool behind it, but to switch large masses IMHO the phone needs "WOW", the current iPhone has that, this other one being discuss may only have "cute".

WildCowboy
Jul 10, 2007, 05:10 PM
Bill Shope, a US-based senior analyst for JP Morgan, disagrees with his colleague. He doesn't see the iPhone nano coming any time soon.

AppleInsider article (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/07/10/jp_morgans_us_branch_quashes_iphone_nano_report.html)

Bob Atkinson
Jul 10, 2007, 05:39 PM
Originally, I assumed the original analysis report was just incompetence and confusing a REAL upcoming product (touch-screen iPod Nanos 8-30GB, Flash-memory based, by the Xmas shopping season, probably announced in mid-Sept) with a NON-EXISTENT product -- the 'Nano iPhone'. In my earlier post I mentioned a few of the many, many reasons why a nano-phone will NOT happen this year, or next year, or, as widely depicted, EVER.

NOW it occurs to me that it would be a clever strategy by a cellphone competitor to have this sort of fake rumor leaked to the iPhone-ravenous media. What better way is there to torpedo iPhone sales by getting people to hold off for a 'fall' product that, if it EVER appears, will be a couple of years away?

Although Apple do not generally say anything on upcoming products before the official announcement, they should DEFINITELY get on top of this one to officially CRUSH this BS rumor. Yo ... Steve ....

- BA

Bern
Jul 10, 2007, 05:39 PM
JP Morgan have retracted the statement that an iPhone Nano is on the cards. To read the actual documentation check it out at TUAW (http://www.tuaw.com/photos/jpmorgan-apple-retraction/306175/)

GSV
Jul 10, 2007, 06:31 PM
I'll throw in my 2 cents to the BS Rumor pile:

Along with all other reasons stated such as: it's too early, no FCC approval, and numerous go-nowhere Apple patents, I think it's important to bring up something Steve talked about at the iPhone's intro. He lumped all existing phones into two categories of "smartphones" and "regular cell phones." Smartphones were sort of smart but hard to use, and regular cells were dumb and still sort of difficult to use. "We don't want to do either of those things," he said. An iPhone Nano would just be a fancy dumb cell phone with an Apple logo.

iPhone is obviously what Jobs and the rest at Apple think cell phones should be and will be in the future, so why go a step backwards with a Nano version?

penter
Jul 10, 2007, 07:01 PM
i doubt it.
forget about the iPhone, where is the next gen iPod????

Digital Skunk
Jul 10, 2007, 07:07 PM
i doubt it.
forget about the iPhone, where is the next gen iPod????

:):):) HERE HERE! HAIL TO THE TRUE IPOD... The true device that brought Apple to the masses, not the BS iPhone

Penter... you're not shouting LOUD ENOUGH! :D

Philberttheduck
Jul 10, 2007, 09:33 PM
kevin chang gets owned. tsk, but so do the recently inflated appl stocks..

Rot'nApple
Jul 10, 2007, 11:50 PM
"I will just have to wait until Apple makes an Official Announcement."

Or wait until Apple can supply the consumer with enough first generation iPhones first.

Just did a quick headcount of Apple stores that have iPhone's in stock and out of 165 stores, 88 will have iPhones to sell when they open their doors July 11 and 77 stores will not.

Who knows what the inventory status is of the AT&T stores.

Of course there's always e-bay... BUT...

I don't know if the iPhone is still selling like hotcakes or the second round of 500,000 iPhones haven't hit the distribution channel here in the US let alone it's upcoming launch in Europe.

I think the nano iPhone is still a ways off.

dicklacara
Jul 11, 2007, 12:21 AM
I didn't read any of the posts in thie thread...

...premis is totally wrong!

Apple will intro a more expensive iPhone-like device, say a 3"x 6" (whatever) palm-top MultiTouch device that is a full OS X computer... with all the goodies of the iPhone, plus the capabilities of a Mac. It will cost $799-$999.

Then, Apple will have 2 revolutions in progress...

After the dust settles, Apple will offer lower cost/capability alternatives to both the iPhone and the i----- (whatever it is called)

CalBoy
Jul 11, 2007, 02:18 AM
Apple will intro a more expensive iPhone-like device, say a 3"x 6" (whatever) palm-top MultiTouch device that is a full OS X computer... with all the goodies of the iPhone, plus the capabilities of a Mac.

Your idea seems to just be a 2007 version of Newton. Not a revolution at all.

ajhill
Jul 11, 2007, 02:27 AM
Remember when, MacRumors were just a few a week, instead on a few a day?

Remember when, people didn't ask "Why doesn't this new iPhone do everything my desktop does?

Remember when, 64MB of RAM was a lot of memory?

Remember when, people never used sentences like: "It's going t be against the Law to drive down the street while playing video games."?

Remember when, a new cell phone was much ado about the looks and NOT the funcionality?

Franky I cannot remember any product that was introduced to such acclaim, speculation, biting criticism, hatred, joy, wondement, prejudice, and contentment. And they are now looking forward to the next one.

What have you done, Mr. Jobs?

Whatever it is, keep doing it. It appears that none of your competitors are even in the same ballpark. Let alone close to catching up. They just don't get it...

CalBoy
Jul 11, 2007, 02:37 AM
Remember when, MacRumors were just a few a week, instead on a few a day?

Remember when, people didn't ask "Why doesn't this new iPhone do everything my desktop does?

Remember when, 64MB of RAM was a lot of memory?

Remember when, people never used sentences like: "It's going t be against the Law to drive down the street while playing video games."?

Remember when, a new cell phone was much ado about the looks and NOT the funcionality?

Franky I cannot remember any product that was introduced to such acclaim, speculation, biting criticism, hatred, joy, wondement, prejudice, and contentment. And they are now looking forward to the next one.

What have you done, Mr. Jobs?

Whatever it is, keep doing it. It appears that none of your competitors are even in the same ballpark. Let alone close to catching up. They just don't get it...

Love the poetry:) iPhone proves that Apple has been the true innovator for all these years. It's just that people are getting to see it for the first time on a massive scale.

Polish97
Jul 11, 2007, 06:57 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/keith.kaminski/.Pictures/iPhone%20Nano.jpg

The Toon Master
Jul 11, 2007, 07:35 PM
I'd say 300 Dollars for a 4GB iPhone that has no access to the internet

Something i might be able to convince my parents to buy(Does not have a phone)

What Polish97 made seems the perfect medium..

dergoog
Jul 12, 2007, 12:58 AM
On the broadcast they stated that it is coming, where as on their site, it is quoted as a speculation.

Oh blah....

dontwalkhand
Jul 12, 2007, 01:04 AM
I'd say 300 Dollars for a 4GB iPhone that has no access to the internet

Something i might be able to convince my parents to buy(Does not have a phone)

What Polish97 made seems the perfect medium..I would think Apple would lose out by selling a phone without internet, as all smartphones sold today has internet (yes, even before iPhone), or at the very least, a WAP browser. I surely would want my iPhone nano to have internet.

megfilmworks
Jul 12, 2007, 01:11 AM
Your idea seems to just be a 2007 version of Newton. Not a revolution at all.

Maybe...After all the Newton was really a great concept, way ahead of its time, the technology was just not available to make it anything more than a clunky toy.

The Toon Master
Jul 12, 2007, 02:40 PM
Some people dont need internet, like myself.

Im a sttudent, and my pers dont really have the neccessity for internet, but isee them constantly using their phones and iPods..

megfilmworks
Jul 12, 2007, 06:19 PM

Finally a poster who understands business!!
Refreshing.

Royale w/cheese
Jul 12, 2007, 06:42 PM

No keyboard... the iPhone Nano will simply dial people at random from your contacts list.

Now THAT is funny.

RichL
Jul 17, 2007, 02:20 AM
I'd welcome an iPhone Nano into my arsenal of gadgets.