Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Anyone else picked this up yet? I thought "why not" and picked it up this morning.

So far it's an almost clone of Sim City 3k (the best one IMO), albeit on a totally flat map, a giant EA logo, no rotating map and poor looking water. Even the original soundtrack has made it.
I've only invested an hour into it so far but it's definitely going to keep me coming back in years to come.

All I need now is RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 and a perfect Worms Armageddon port and I won't need Windows 2000 again :D

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
Anyone else picked this up yet? I thought "why not" and picked it up this morning.

So far it's an almost clone of Sim City 3k (the best one IMO), albeit on a totally flat map, a giant EA logo, no rotating map and poor looking water. Even the original soundtrack has made it.
I've only invested an hour into it so far but it's definitely going to keep me coming back in years to come.

All I need now is RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 and a perfect Worms Armageddon port and I won't need Windows 2000 again :D

I thought I had heard it was more like Population or Civ then Sim City, so I thought the "reimagining" that had happened would make me pass completely.

But you say it really is SC?

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Reimagining? No way. It's just a cut down SC3k (though retaining the same gameplay). Seems to be a little easier too, I started on the Basic map and I'm already making a profit.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Yeah, it does seem easier or at least easier to profit. I picked it up to test for an hour (I have a long backlog of DS games still). The only problem I've had so far is you're limited on zoom and the tools are too sensitive so you might make selections too large or small. As you can imagine, that can be a problem with the bulldozer. If the zoom was better, that problem wouldn't exist. It's still SimCtiy 3000 though, so worth playing if you enjoyed that one. I haven't had a disaster yet, so I don't know how that's working out.

However, I've been spoiled by SimCity 4. As horrible as the performance was on my iMac G4, I liked the micromanagement for each individual civic services like the police station and fire station as well the graphics and just the overall reworked engine. SC3K just isn't as fun as it used to be for me and SimCity DS didn't really get me hooked, but I'll get back to when I'm done with my other DS games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.