PDA

View Full Version : Sound stopped working on iPhone!!

Khurram
Jul 9, 2007, 09:38 PM
Something strange just happned to my iphone.

None of the phones sounds are coming thru the speaker!
The keyboard clicking sound is not working, the sleep button sound is not working, the music is not playing thru the speaker, nothing!
I tried doing a soft reset and it didn't do anything

Weird thing is, the sound is working thru the headphones! This sucks...hope someone has a quick fix for this , I really dont want to do a hard reset:mad:

Any suggestions?
Khurram

Khurram
Jul 9, 2007, 09:42 PM
And another thing I just noticed.
When I unplug my headphones , the ipod function starts up on it's own, but without any music or other sounds coming from the phone.

This happens even when the headphones are plugged in and not running the ipod. I just unplugged them to see if the sounds would work and it repeatedly starts the ipod function when I unplug my headphones?!

ricksbrain
Jul 9, 2007, 10:05 PM
Even after you reset it?

Andrmgic
Jul 9, 2007, 10:07 PM

The keyboard clicking sound is not working, the sleep button sound is not working, the music is not playing thru the speaker, nothing!

Weird thing is, the sound is working thru the headphones! This sucks...hope someone has a quick fix for this , I really dont want to do a hard reset:mad:

Any suggestions?
Khurram

Check your silent mode switch? It affects everything, not just the ringer.

Khurram
Jul 9, 2007, 10:18 PM
Check your silent mode switch? It affects everything, not just the ringer.

The silent button is not on.

I did not do a restore thru itunes but I did do a soft reset by holding down the home key and the power button.

The sound just came back a minute ago, but then it went again.

It just came back and again, and now it's gone again.
This sucks...gonna have to go to the apple store tomorrow I suppose.
Do you think I should do a factory restore?
Will that erase all my itunes data on my iphone if I do that?

hexonxonx
Jul 9, 2007, 10:35 PM
Yes, everything will be erased but that may just work at restting the sound so it works.

dwsolberg
Jul 9, 2007, 11:45 PM
Weird. Just after I read this, the same thing happened to me. I tried putting the phone to sleep, then waking it up. That did not work. Then I called myself from the landline, and the iPhone did not make a ringing noise and I did not answer the iPhone. After that it made the clicking sound as it went to sleep. So far, the sound's been working after that, but I guess it could stop working again.

It seems there's a bug in the software. Let me know if the sequence that worked for me works for you.

Also, does anyone know where to log iPhone bugs with Apple?

Khurram
Jul 10, 2007, 07:45 AM
Weird. Just after I read this, the same thing happened to me. I tried putting the phone to sleep, then waking it up. That did not work. Then I called myself from the landline, and the iPhone did not make a ringing noise and I did not answer the iPhone. After that it made the clicking sound as it went to sleep. So far, the sound's been working after that, but I guess it could stop working again.

It seems there's a bug in the software. Let me know if the sequence that worked for me works for you.

Also, does anyone know where to log iPhone bugs with Apple?

Mine started working again on it's own after messing around with it.
I dont know exactly what sequence I used to get the sound back, but if it happens again i'll be sure to post.
It's def a software bug

Khurram
Jul 10, 2007, 02:23 PM
Sound is still coming and going at random.

Once it goes, i can't figure out how to get it back other than to wait it out..
I'm gonna do a hard restart or reinstall whatever it is thru itunes and see if that fixes it.
otherwise i'm gonna make an appointment at the genius bar.

lilnyc
Jul 10, 2007, 08:21 PM
Sound is still coming and going at random.

Once it goes, i can't figure out how to get it back other than to wait it out..
I'm gonna do a hard restart or reinstall whatever it is thru itunes and see if that fixes it.
otherwise i'm gonna make an appointment at the genius bar.

Your iPhone is backed up via iTunes each time you sync it. I found that out at the Apple store after giving the okay for them to restore it to factory condition to solve a crashing issue. We were all relieved when they plugged it into my computer and iTunes popped up a backup restore option. Your minor settings (wallpaper, configurations, etc) will not be saved.

Sidenote -- my iPod Nano did this sometimes. The sound didn't play and/or the songs would continuously forward themselves. I did a hard reset and resolved the problem.

But a Nano is cheaper than an iPhone. Please take it to Apple.

desenso
Jul 10, 2007, 08:30 PM
Mine did this once... when i sync'd it, iTunes asked for permission to send a bug report.

Hasn't happened since...

macbook123
Jul 10, 2007, 08:43 PM
I had it happen today too.

Other annoying thing: the iPod came on once after I ended a call - although I had never switched the iPod on!

marshalljones
Jul 11, 2007, 09:32 PM
I had a similar (if not the same) problem with my iPhone's sound. I could hear people when on speaker and with the headphones, but not when my ear was to the phone. It was infuriating me ... this is my second iPhone. I use the iPod section of the phone quite a bit so I clicked on iPod and noticed that, although I turned the sound all the way up using the volume switch on the side, the volume on the iPod was turned all the way down. As soon as I turned it back up (using the touch screen) I could use my phone without a problem.

I really hope this helps anyone else who runs into this problem.

longofest
Jul 11, 2007, 10:26 PM
There is clearly a bug with the sound settings in the iPhone. I also had a similar problem happen to me today. The only way I could get it to resolve itself was to plug the headphones in, and then unplug them (thinking that the iPhone might have not recognized that the headphones were not there).

I'm going to mark this as a confirmed bug in our bug tracking thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=322939).

daveo123
Jul 12, 2007, 09:37 AM
Sound was working no problem until I plugged in the headphones. Wasn't playing anything out of the external speaker until I plugged in and unplugged the headphones again. Like it didn't recognize that I unplugged them the first time.

But when it did recognize it, it paused the song I was playing just like when you pull the head phones out of an iPod.

mgrogan
Jul 15, 2007, 06:04 PM
in the upper left above the volume control buttons, there is a slider that will toggle sound off and on. give that a try.

Arbitrary
Jul 16, 2007, 09:06 AM
I had this same issue where I was getting no speaker sound when watching YouTube videos or playing music. I went into my settings and changed my ringtone and that played fine through my speakers. Audio from videos and songs still did not work. I then tried plugging in my earphones and unplugging them and my sound returned. It's definitely a bug related to the switching of sound when plugging and unplugging the headset.

There is clearly a bug with the sound settings in the iPhone. I also had a similar problem happen to me today. The only way I could get it to resolve itself was to plug the headphones in, and then unplug them (thinking that the iPhone might have not recognized that the headphones were not there).

I'm going to mark this as a confirmed bug in our bug tracking thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=322939).

kqwik78
Jul 16, 2007, 11:13 AM
Man, i thought i was the only one. I just happened to me this morning. I can hear my ringtones and all just fine, but inorder for me to talk to someone i have to use the speakerphone.

My music/videos do not play sound through the speaker. I made an appointment with a Genius today and hopefully they can fix it. It's past the 2 week mark so will they have to send it back or can they do a replacement for me there?

I was thinking that I just may need a restore, but I'm currently at work so I can't do that at the moment. They can do a restore at the Apple store right?

yoman
Jul 17, 2007, 04:52 PM
I had the same problem and the sound ended up working after I turned off my WiFi then plugged and unplugged the headphones.

Chooser
Jul 27, 2007, 02:49 PM
I just got my iPhone yesterday and the earpiece speaker has been on and off. I've been trying to recreate the problem with no success. It seems completely random when the earpiece speaker wants to quit. At one point it stopped working in the middle of a call. Everything else (headphones and speaker) work just fine.

Did restarts and a restore and didn't really notice a change for the better or for the worse.

The one thing I am noticing is that the amount of time it does work is becoming longer.

oogje
Jul 27, 2007, 05:20 PM
Same symptoms (I believe as OP). No sound out of the speakers - iPod, rings, ring tones in setttings, dialing, speaker phone, etc. Can hear callers with the phone to my ear and earphones work with all sounds. Went through the whole routine with Apple iPhone Support - Ring/Silent switch, volume settings, power cycle, reset, full restore. No go. Additionally I plugged/unplugged the headphones a dozen times to no avail.

Support offered to send me a free loaner while I send mine in or I could trot it over to the Apple Store. I chose a 10:05pm EDT appointment at the store. Will update.

ETA: Not much to report. The Apple Store ran through the same procedures as the phone support had me do with the same results. I was handed a free loaner and my phone will repaired or replaced and mailed back to me.

August 1st update. Fedex delivered my phone this afternoon. It included a letter stating:

The reported symptom(s) that is not reproducible:
774/Cannot Hear Incoming Caller

Well, that wasn't the problem. The Genius Bar Work Authorization states:

Problem Description/Diagnosis
ISSUE: Speakers not working. Restored. Same issue.
POSSIBLE LIQUID DAMAGE (Y/N): No
STEPS TO REPRODUCE: Attempt to use iPod/speaker phone etc

And yes, the sound through the speakers still doesn't work. I'll take it over to the Apple Store today. I wanted to go there anyway to buy more stuff despite the little snafu.

desertmonkey
Sep 22, 2007, 03:38 PM

Any suggestions?
Khurram

I had this same issue this morning, after 2 months of relatively trouble free use. Talk about frustrating! No audio unless I had the headphones plugged in, so system sounds or anything, and making calls I could not hear the phone ring, the other person answer, and the other person could not hear me.

After ineffective resets, what ended up working for me was toggling the speaker phone setting -- turned speaker phone on, then off, now the phone works fine.

MarkW19
Sep 25, 2007, 05:07 AM
I've got the same problem as of today as well! I thought it was to do with the activation/unlock I did last night using the new iNdependance (I've been unlocked and activated using the OLD iNdependance with absolutely no issues for 2-3 weeks now!), but maybe not. I seem to lose sound when I put it on Silent, and then back on Ring. I can restart the phone and then it's ok....for a bit.

Hmmm...

pilotError
Sep 25, 2007, 09:05 AM

Any suggestions?
Khurram

I had the same issue the other day. I don't often use the headphones, but that day I did.

There must be some sort of mechanical switch that gets stuck when you pull the headphones out (not sure if its a dirt issue or what).

I had to insert/remove the headphones a few times, then I got it to work again.

I had it once or twice now, not sure whats going on there. Really pissed me off, as I missed an important phone call.

Mike...

leonowski
Sep 27, 2007, 06:14 AM
I had the same issue the other day. I don't often use the headphones, but that day I did.

There must be some sort of mechanical switch that gets stuck when you pull the headphones out (not sure if its a dirt issue or what).

I had to insert/remove the headphones a few times, then I got it to work again.

I had it once or twice now, not sure whats going on there. Really pissed me off, as I missed an important phone call.

Mike...

Hi All,

I just experienced this problem and found this forum while doing a Google search.

The problem happened to me when I quickly pulled out my car's tape adapter headphone plug from the iPhone jack. I had it connected using a Belkin iPhone adapter (I hate the darn recessed headphone jack!). I also had music playing at the time. This was the first time that I had pulled the plug while listening to music. That may have caused the problem as I noticed the same symptoms you all listed above while using my iPhone later that night:

- I had no keyboard clicks
- No sounds from itunes, browser, or youtube
- Strangely, my ringtone still worked.
- When I plugged in the mini headphones that came with the iPhone, iTunes would start up. This would happen no matter what application I was in.

I tried a hard and soft re-start. I tried to force close the music player Nothing seemed to work. I then tried a headphone plug that didn't work with the iPhone due to the recessed jack (unless I put some pressure on the plug into jack) while music was playing. That seemed to do the trick as my sound did return.

So, it seems like there is a combination hardware and software problem going on here. There seems to be some sort of headphone plug-in/unplug detection code that disables and re-enables the speakers. Unfortunately, it looks like there is a bug in the code that gets the iphone in a state where it never plays from the speakers again until you mess around with the headphone jack. Ugh

leonowski
Sep 27, 2007, 06:25 AM
Also found this:

http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2007/08/30/no-iphone-audio-a-simple-fix/

I hope 1.1.1 fixes this stupid bug. Or, present an option in Settings to reset the audio state.

polvero
Dec 3, 2007, 03:44 AM
From what I can remember, I think the cause came down to a race condition (a common bug in software engineering where to tasks are competing for each other, where in fact, the order of execution of two functions *matter*, but the other function sporadically wins.

I distinctly remember switching my sound mode to *silent* and then toggling the main power switch (the slim switch on top of the phone). I heard a glitch (the main locking sound), and when I turned it back on, no matter which setting (sound mode - or silent mode), the sound would not play... and of course, I'm experiencing the same thing that everyone else is discussing in this thread.

As how to officially fix this? I don't know. I haven't read all the thread posts yet, maybe someone's already posted a solution. If I find one, I'll share it with everyone.

polvero
Dec 3, 2007, 03:59 AM
Ok. I think I've found a workaround fix for this particular bug (without going to one of those Geniuses).

1) Plug your headphones into your iPhone.
2) Initiate your iPod.
3) Go ahead and find your favorite track.
4) Play it.
5) Confirm that there is sound coming out (you don't need to actually wear the headphones).
6) Switch your sound mode to *on*
7) This next step involves two simultaneous events
- switch your sound mode back to *silent*
- press the main power switch on the top of your phone

Do your best to do step number 7 *at the same time*
8) Unplug your headphones.
9) Is your phone playing music from the speakers now?
- if "no": Plug your headphones back in, then repeat steps 7 and 8 starting with your sound mode switched to *on*
- if "yes": congratulations, you fixed phone (until the next time it crashes ;) )

Cheers :)

guppysingh
Dec 3, 2007, 07:29 AM
just unlocked my iphone....
sound works fine on the ipod or on speakers.....but when i ring someone it is really quiet...even when i turn the volume to full....any one have any ideas on how to fix it?

thanks

nicoska
Dec 6, 2007, 08:50 AM
Ok. I think I've found a workaround fix for this particular bug (without going to one of those Geniuses).

1) Plug your headphones into your iPhone.
2) Initiate your iPod.
3) Go ahead and find your favorite track.
4) Play it.
5) Confirm that there is sound coming out (you don't need to actually wear the headphones).
6) Switch your sound mode to *on*
7) This next step involves two simultaneous events
- switch your sound mode back to *silent*
- press the main power switch on the top of your phone

Do your best to do step number 7 *at the same time*
8) Unplug your headphones.
9) Is your phone playing music from the speakers now?
- if "no": Plug your headphones back in, then repeat steps 7 and 8 starting with your sound mode switched to *on*
- if "yes": congratulations, you fixed phone (until the next time it crashes ;) )

Cheers :)

Sorry, but it doesn't work for me :(
Please, Apple help us

Nico

Foxer
Dec 10, 2007, 05:17 PM
I had this happen on two phones. The Apple Store replaced each phone. I still don't know what caused the glitch. Does anyone have any idea?

Vibe69
Dec 22, 2007, 03:08 AM
SOLVED!!!

This has happened to me two times. The first time I by chance fixed it by putting the headphones in & taking them out unitl it happened to fix it.

HOWEVER the second time I did a little research and found this little diamond in the rough!!!!

http://www.luckow.com/iphone/

It turns out that the problem comes from dust/dirt randomly settling inside the headphone jack. Eventually something will get in there. When you plug your eadphones in after this happens, you are shoving the dust/dirt in there tight and sometimes it will end up in the right spot and short some connection inside there. The genius repair solution is in the above link.

This has fixed the problem for 95% of people who have had the problem & tried this fix. And both times when it happened to me was right after using some headphones with it. So I'm pretty confident this is no longer a mystery!

Unfortunately, I don't see this as being a simple thing for Apple to solve this.

PS - [about the fix] I think it might not be good to leave any of the fuzz at all when u clip it because it may get lost in there too, but I've only done this once. Let me know what you think is the better way, guys so I know for next time because it's obviously going to happen again.

I will accept paypal as a thank you :)
Just PM me and I'll send you an invoice

mikehockenballs
Dec 29, 2007, 07:21 AM
Hi Guys,

I can confirm that the last post tip from 'vibe69' worked for me!

I had no system sounds or clicks, but I did have sound from the speaker for the ipod function with songs and video.

I had recently performed a full virginise - restore - unlock and software rebuild and since then I had the no system sounds issue, so I thought that I would need to do another restore etc...

But this prodecure worked for me , with a couple of small differences:-

I used a wooden cocktail stick with cotton wool because I had no cotton buds ( Q-Tips )
I used Surgical Spirit instead of the window cleaner shown in the video.

All is fine in the world of iPhone sysytem sounds now, but I will keep my cleaning kit at hand because it will probably happen again.
I think that Apple should provide an optional plastic or rubberised grommet for when you are not using the headphones to stop dust and crap getting into the headphone recess.

Thanks to 'vibe69' for the tip!!

Cheers!

NitrousFlare
Dec 29, 2007, 07:27 PM
I fixed this problem by inserting and removing the headphones a few times.

0B1
Dec 29, 2007, 08:40 PM
just had this happen to me. Seems that the iPhone doesn't like to have ear phones pulled out during play back. Went into iPod plugged in ear phones and pressed play. Removed earphones and tune automatically stopped. Replaced ear phones and pressed play. Paused music and removed earphones. Pressed play. Sound is now back to normal.

rojeda
Dec 30, 2007, 12:23 PM
hey, i have recently purchased the iPhone, unlocked it and put in my sim.I live in Mexico city and everything was working just fine until my iPhone wouldn't call. The problem was that it would just say "call Failed" and i have tried literally everything: reset, turning it on and off again, syncing it.. please somebody help me. It lets me receive calls and send SMS messages but i just cant call. i hear three beeps and then it says call failed.

rojeda
Dec 30, 2007, 12:40 PM
hey, i have recently purchased the iPhone, unlocked it and put in my sim.I live in Mexico city and everything was working just fine until my iPhone wouldn't call. The problem was that it would just say "call Failed" and i have tried literally everything: reset, turning it on and off again, syncing it.. please somebody help me. It lets me receive calls and send SMS messages but i just cant call. i hear three beeps and then it says call failed.

simply putting caller id ON

docamit
Feb 7, 2008, 11:26 AM
I have looked everywhere for a solution and cause for the lack of sound through the iphone main speaker when answering calls and only being able to use the headset. Firstly you can take calls using the speakerphone if you are currently stuck. There is little out there that i found worked.

The one thing did work for me was:
1. clean the iphone headphone socket ( see http://www.luckow.com/iphone/ )
Still didn't work for me :mad: until :

2. Clean headphone jack with same cleaning solution (windex / alcohol etc.)

Worked just great. :)

Explanation: :cool:
obervations - taking the headphone plug in and out of the socket caused ipod player to skip to next song or start playback etc. This made me think that the jack was causing the tight socket to trigger as it was being removed making the iphone think that the headphone was reinserted as you remove it. This explains why the iphone remains in headphone mode even when the jack is out.

Cleaning the hole was not enough - clearly the problem was with the dirty jack. Cleaning it was all that i needed to do.

Other people have noted repeatedly inserting and removing the jack works eventually - possibly by eventually dislodging the faulty contact area. It also explains why restarting the iphone does not work - its a hardware problem with a dodgy contact NOT a software issue.

Hope this helps

Amit :apple:

bensternater333
Feb 7, 2008, 11:45 AM
this is how u fix it... I had this problem... Took it to the apple store and he got a can of air and sprayed it inside where u plug the earphones in... Just spray some air in there and you should be good!
See... There is a sensor in the earphone plugs in so when there are earphones in there... It automatically turns the sound off on the phone... Therefore... If u have dust in there then it thinks that there is actually earphones in there and the sound won't work!!!
UR WELCOME!!!!!!

pbogdanovic
Feb 17, 2008, 01:03 PM
Sadly, none of the above works for me. I have a 1.1.2 OTB unlocked phone and using it outside of the USA, therefore no Apple service.

I tried virtually everything and the worst thing is that the sound during a call doesn't even work through the headphones - I can only use speakerphone, but for obvious reasons I cannot make every call that way.

I still think this can be solved by software. Hopefully a solution will be found.

ryanoff
Feb 22, 2008, 11:27 PM
Today I had the situation where no sound was coming from the built-in speakers, handset, or headphones. I tried the previously posted methods and none of them worked. An additionally strange function was that in the ipod music player once I paused a song, I could not get it to "play". Clicking on the play button would highlight, but not change and the song would not progress.

While it might not be the best solution, the only way I was able to get it working again was to do a full restore in iTunes. This worked perfectly and now my iPhone is back to where it used to be (after a few hours to restore, sync and put back in all my settings). While I am using a US (OTB 1.1.2) phone in the UK with Orange, I of course had to restore and then use another program to jailbrake/sim release/etc. But overall was quite painless. I just hope this doesn't become a weekly occurrence.

RevolutionOne
Feb 23, 2008, 09:43 AM
My iPhone developed this problem last Monday, I answered a call but could not hear anything, as I went to turn up the volume, it had headphones in brackets on the volume icon, but there were none plugged in.

I tried resetting and restoring but nothing would solve it. It went on for a few days but only went away randomly on Thursday..

Very frustrating

trogdor!
Feb 23, 2008, 10:49 AM
Someone mention using a liquid cleaner in the headphone port. Isn't this one of the locations apple has the color changing moisture paper or whatever substance it is to determine if the phone has gotten wet or moisture in it for warranty services?

pbogdanovic
Feb 23, 2008, 03:39 PM
Someone mention using a liquid cleaner in the headphone port. Isn't this one of the locations apple has the color changing moisture paper or whatever substance it is to determine if the phone has gotten wet or moisture in it for warranty services?

True, it does have the color-shifting paper that might void your warranty, should it get moist enough. Therefore, pay attention when using Windex/Alcohol or any other liquid.

I'm sadly still stuck with a mute iPhone, despite upgrading to 1.1.3 and then coming back to 1.1.2. Tried alcohol, compressed air, plugged and unplugged headphones about 3.4 million times, but still no sound through the internal speaker.

docamit
Feb 24, 2008, 06:09 AM
sorry to hear you still cant get your phone to work.

have you tried cleaning the jack with some alcohol/windex as well. I couldnt get mine to work either despite all the steps until i cleaned the headphone jack as well. Worked first time.

:)

SuPaNiNjA
Feb 24, 2008, 09:41 AM
True, it does have the color-shifting paper that might void your warranty, should it get moist enough. Therefore, pay attention when using Windex/Alcohol or any other liquid.

I'm sadly still stuck with a mute iPhone, despite upgrading to 1.1.3 and then coming back to 1.1.2. Tried alcohol, compressed air, plugged and unplugged headphones about 3.4 million times, but still no sound through the internal speaker.

Lo every1.I had this kind of problem TWICE and both times solved it with a simple solution. Go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset all settings.:rolleyes:

InfamousPhear
Feb 25, 2008, 03:20 PM
Well i was having a similar problem. Except i was not able to get any sound from my headphones or my speaker not matter what i did. I found that one of the software packages i installed was glitching the sound system and not allowing anything to play. I am currently running a 1.1.3 OTB jailbroken/unlocked iphone. I thought it was weird that i had this problem and didn't have any sound packs or sound related applications installed. I just un-installed the few apps that i put on, restarted, and worked fine with me.

tim370
Feb 25, 2008, 10:27 PM
Lo every1.I had this kind of problem TWICE and both times solved it with a simple solution. Go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset all settings.:rolleyes:

thankyou so much! you just saved me doing a restore and unlocking it again!

for the record - i had no sound what so ever... nothing through my speakers, no sleep or unlock sound, no keypad sounds, no ringtone. and nothing through my headphones - i couldn't hear calls coming through them, i couldn't hear the person on the other end (headphones and earpiece) and i was suitably ******** bricks because i'm in australia and have no store to return it to.

the only thing that made me think it was a software error and not hardware was that my ipod was freezing up - i'd select a song and it would say its playing but it the song timer never moved from 0:00 and there was no sound at all. i also had a similar problem as "ryanoff" where, once i press pause, it changed to the pause symbol (and look like it was paused), but when i'd try to un-pause it, it would never go back into 'play mode'

anyways its all good now thanks to a ridiculously simple solution... just thought i'd share my problem for anyone experiencing something similar

JamesSykes
Feb 27, 2008, 10:51 AM
Hi all!

Well here i am with my first iphone, purchased last year in november and left in the box until today.

So here are the facts :

Firmware 1.1.3
Music plays fine through built in speakers and headphones
Keypad makes noise through speaker without headphones
I can make calls with headphones and with speaker phone

The big problem is that i cannot hear anyone speak, as if the call speaker is broken. I've tried everything in this thread.

Sounds like its not the normal "iphone thinks headset is still plugged in" because i can hear the keypad tones.

Any ideas? I just unlocked it too (thisproblem was happening before the unlock)

dh507249
Mar 10, 2008, 02:54 PM
Hey All,

So I am having a similar problem, I can't figure out what the problem is though.
My iphone's text sound, unlock clicker sound, and email alert sound doesn't come up. Whenever I get a text I don't know it until I look at the phone and see I have new messages. This use to work before but now it doesn't. I tried doing a soft reset, made sure the silent button above the volume is not showing the orange dot, and tried putting my headphone's in and out a few times. None of these worked. My ringer sounds when someone calls, i could also talk to them without any problem. The only issue is my notification sound. Plus all the sound settings in General are all on.

Any help is appreciated please?

r@ndom
Mar 10, 2008, 03:31 PM
Hey All,

So I am having a similar problem, I can't figure out what the problem is though.
My iphone's text sound, unlock clicker sound, and email alert sound doesn't come up. Whenever I get a text I don't know it until I look at the phone and see I have new messages. This use to work before but now it doesn't. I tried doing a soft reset, made sure the silent button above the volume is not showing the orange dot, and tried putting my headphone's in and out a few times. None of these worked. My ringer sounds when someone calls, i could also talk to them without any problem. The only issue is my notification sound. Plus all the sound settings in General are all on.

Any help is appreciated please?

have you tried going to settings>general>reset>reset all settings?

dh507249
Mar 10, 2008, 04:08 PM
I didn't want to do that because it will erase all contacts and data saved.

Is there another way?

r@ndom
Mar 10, 2008, 05:48 PM
I didn't want to do that because it will erase all contacts and data saved.

Is there another way?
no no no, that doesn't erase contacts or anything. all it does it reset the phone's setting like brightness, sounds/vibration, passcode stuff like that. even before a restore you can sync your iphone with itunes to back up contacts and sms. but no, it doesn't erase that.

dh507249
Mar 10, 2008, 08:19 PM
Before I do that maybe you should know that my iphone is unlocked, since my carrier is Tmobile. Does that change anything?

dh507249
Mar 10, 2008, 08:24 PM
Never Mind. I did it! that helped a lot. Thanks a lot!!!! I greatly appreciate your help. Simple fix saved my iphone.

coryetzkorn
Mar 10, 2008, 08:27 PM
This happened to me too, but I assure you its NOT a software bug. Your headphone jack is dirty and it is causing the iPhone to think headphones are always plugged in, hence no sound in the speakers but a working mic.

I sprayed mine with an air duster and the problem dissapeared.

dh507249
Mar 10, 2008, 08:39 PM
No it had nothing to do with the headphone jack.

Sound was coming out of speaker when i played songs, also I could hear and talk to people clearly, and my ringer was ringing. Something differed with my phone. The alert sounds weren't picking up, no text sound, no message sound, and no clicker sound. But thanks to the Reset button and the help of this Forum all I had to do was go to Setting>General>Reset>Reset all settings. And IT WORKED!

Plus none of my info got deleted, just basic changes I had made that I already switched back like ringtone and email settings. =)

Thanks again for the person who helped me!

meggers760
Mar 17, 2008, 03:28 AM
my sound on my iphone all the sudden stopped working. I can't hear anything audio related. The headphones don't even work. Ive tried everything including reseting my phone and plugging and unplugging my earphones. Any suggestions?

ArabiianBarbiie
Mar 18, 2008, 08:59 PM
My Iphone's switch from ring/vibrate will not work...i tried putting it to sleep as well as shutting it and restarting settings but it wont work. It rings just fine, just wont vibrate... i need it for school :confused:

XenNightz
May 24, 2008, 04:54 AM

Wholy crap bro! It worked!!! :eek: I was just about to restore and do all of that crap. Wow man, thanks!!!! :)

kevindeluca1
Jun 19, 2008, 11:17 PM
Hi All,

I just experienced this problem and found this forum while doing a Google search.

The problem happened to me when I quickly pulled out my car's tape adapter headphone plug from the iPhone jack. I had it connected using a Belkin iPhone adapter (I hate the darn recessed headphone jack!). I also had music playing at the time. This was the first time that I had pulled the plug while listening to music. That may have caused the problem as I noticed the same symptoms you all listed above while using my iPhone later that night:

- I had no keyboard clicks
- No sounds from itunes, browser, or youtube
- Strangely, my ringtone still worked.
- When I plugged in the mini headphones that came with the iPhone, iTunes would start up. This would happen no matter what application I was in.

I tried a hard and soft re-start. I tried to force close the music player Nothing seemed to work. I then tried a headphone plug that didn't work with the iPhone due to the recessed jack (unless I put some pressure on the plug into jack) while music was playing. That seemed to do the trick as my sound did return.

So, it seems like there is a combination hardware and software problem going on here. There seems to be some sort of headphone plug-in/unplug detection code that disables and re-enables the speakers. Unfortunately, it looks like there is a bug in the code that gets the iphone in a state where it never plays from the speakers again until you mess around with the headphone jack. Ugh

thanks a lot leonowski this fixed my problem instantly, much appreceated!

savanahrose
Jul 6, 2008, 03:40 PM
Macrumors forum to the rescue!! Thanks, my sound wasn't working and I knew that I could get an answer from here. :p;)
What worked was putting the headphone jack back in. Though I did try this before. Thanks again.

gmerin
Jul 18, 2008, 09:28 AM
Macrumors forum to the rescue!! Thanks, my sound wasn't working and I knew that I could get an answer from here. :p;)
What worked was putting the headphone jack back in. Though I did try this before. Thanks again.

Just worked for me too! My sounds from the speaker vanished last night. My ringtones worked but other sounds were gone. Did the Reset All but nothing changed. started playing ipod music (no sound thu speaker) and inserted an iphone plug in and out of the jack while the music was playing and the sound from the speakers returned!

spiggott
Aug 1, 2008, 10:54 AM
Okay, I had the same issue on the iPhone I bought last September (no AppleCare). It started with the external speaker not working - no ringtones on incoming calls, sound effects or speakerphone. However, the internal earpeice did work. Eventually it got to the point where the internal earpeice didn't work and I had to use the headphones for everything. Very annoying.

I tried everything in this thread - plugged/unplugged the headphones about 3.4 million time (thanks, pbogdanovic), reset all settings, cleaned the headphone jack with alcohol and compressed air. I did a full restore, no luck. Shutdown/restarted over and over. Still mute.

Finally, I gave up and went to the Apple Store in Raleigh, NC. I met with a Genius named Scott. He did everything he knew to do. 20 minutes later he handed me a brand new iPhone to replace my mute phone. An excellent customer service experience. The store was slammed with people. There was a waiting line to buy computers (it's tax free weekend in NC) and another to buy iPhones, but my case was handled quickly, efficiently, and by a guy with a good attitude despite the fact that he was running in 20 directions at the same time. Thanks, Apple. This was NEVER the case with the 4 Treo 650s I went through prior to getting my iPhone.

polisciguy12
Aug 1, 2008, 11:36 AM
My boyfriend and I have both had this problem before and it is a much simpler solution than you may think!

If your sound is still working in your headphones, just not the speaker, the problem is dirt in the headphone jack! Because there is some dirt/dust in the jack the iPhone thinks that the headphones are always plugged in (and therefore disables the speaker)

Take a can of spray air and just clean out the headphone jack and it should work great!

If this doesn't fix it then you've got a much bigger problem and should just take it to applecare

Paix247
Aug 1, 2008, 11:38 AM
Same problem here... took it to the genius bar and they just put something in the headphone jack, wiggled it, and it worked again.

Cjtr
Aug 1, 2008, 12:38 PM
Put youre iphone in recovery mode and restore with itunes
to put iphone in recovery mode:
1- Turn off iphone
2- With the iphone off hold the home button
3- While holding the home button connect the cable.

Mark Booth
Aug 1, 2008, 12:49 PM
The vast majority of these problems are due to the aforementioned "switch" inside the headphone jack. Inside the jack, one of the electrical contacts has a little "hump" on it that makes contact with the plug. When the plug is in place, it pushes that little hump back a bit and that causes one end of the metal to break contact with another bit of metal. That is the "switch" that controls whether the sound is going to the headphone jack or to the speaker. The problem is that sometimes the two mating contact points on the switch get dirty or get debris logged in them, preventing a complete connection when the plug is removed. Or, the metal itself loses some of its "spring" ability and fails to come back fully in contact with its mating piece.

Whatever the reason for the "switch" to make proper contact when the plug is removed, the end result is NO SOUND from the speaker as the jack still thinks the plug is in place.

Just sticking a headphone plug into the jack and wiggling it around (gently) should usually be enough to bring things back to normal.

Mark

savanahrose
Aug 2, 2008, 04:33 PM
I don't know if this is the reason for mine but it sure sounds good. When mine failed I had the earphones in when I turned it off. I unplugged the earphones while it was off and then turned it on without the earphones. Once I put them back in and took them out the speakers worked. :confused: :o

ldkaplan
Aug 5, 2008, 10:07 AM
Mark, you are awesome. Worked like a charm.

These rubber cases should have a plug cover with a little nub that goes in the headphone jack to prevent particles from entering that area. I keep my headphones unplugged when not in use out of fear of breaking the jack.

The vast majority of these problems are due to the aforementioned "switch" inside the headphone jack. Inside the jack, one of the electrical contacts has a little "hump" on it that makes contact with the plug. When the plug is in place, it pushes that little hump back a bit and that causes one end of the metal to break contact with another bit of metal. That is the "switch" that controls whether the sound is going to the headphone jack or to the speaker. The problem is that sometimes the two mating contact points on the switch get dirty or get debris logged in them, preventing a complete connection when the plug is removed. Or, the metal itself loses some of its "spring" ability and fails to come back fully in contact with its mating piece.

Whatever the reason for the "switch" to make proper contact when the plug is removed, the end result is NO SOUND from the speaker as the jack still thinks the plug is in place.

Just sticking a headphone plug into the jack and wiggling it around (gently) should usually be enough to bring things back to normal.

Mark

myclock187
Aug 8, 2008, 03:01 PM
Just wanna add my .02 cents... I just got my Iphone 1st gen 8gb 2 days ago, unlocked on t-mobile and jailbroken. for the past two days I've been modding it like mad. I've gotten edge to work, youtube, and was working on adding customized ringtones. Suddenly I realized none of the audio worked anywhere, the phone was running super slow, when I'd make a call it would dial but i wouldn't hear anything and it would automatically reject incoming calls. also no ipod or youtube. I restored the thing from my back up and overall continued to freak out. The last thing i put on through installer was 1.1.1 Ringtone Patch which is supposed to installthe MeCCA patch so you can add ringtones.... it was stupid of me cause I don't even know what it is and plus i'm on 1.1.4. Anyways after uninstalling it everything worked fine!!

who knows, this might help someone.

jimmy83
Aug 21, 2008, 06:35 PM
Noticed last night that while iam on the phone, the person that iam listening to, their voice is really quite, even with the speaker turned right up. This problem only happened a couple off days ago, and before that it was fine and the speaker volume was just over half way.

Upgraded to 2.0.2 and then restored, and I still have this problem.....arrrrrrrrrgggggggg

Tried cleaning the headphone jack, but still no joy! :mad:

docamit
Aug 22, 2008, 02:32 PM
This thread has got so long that its starting to repeat itself. Just read page 2 - VIBE69 posting or DOCAMIT posting.

you will see that several people have solved this in several ways depending on your particular cause of this well known issue.

solution 1. - use a cotton bud tip soaked in some windolene with most of the cotton bud tip cut off to allow it to fit in the hole.
here is the instructions:
http://www.luckow.com/iphone/

solution 2. (worked for me) clean both the jack hole and the jack of the headphones as in step 1

solution 3. repeatedly insert and remove jack (however this seems to just do a bit more cleaning as in step 1 so perhaps use a bit more windolene and clean more thoroughly).

solution 4. use a can of compressed air and spray into the hole in the iphone for the headphone jack.

solution 5. do some mad thing with switching to silent whilst plugging unplugging headphone jack (see Polevero page 2 of this thread)

solution 6. (Supaninja page 2) Go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset all settings.

solution 7. (last resort and if your lucky enough to still have the warranty) - take it back for a new one!

Good luck
Perhaps people could post what DOES work.

Amit
Doctor Amitabh Dwivedi MBChB BMedSci MRCGP MRCP GPWSi

jimmy83
Aug 23, 2008, 07:42 AM
Got a replacement.

jimmy83
Aug 25, 2008, 10:11 AM
Got a replacement.

Now this one has the same problem, so it must me the earphones that jam using! So don use sennhiser x400 earphones with your iPhones guys!

Gutted so will have to get another replacement now :-(

coryetzkorn
Aug 25, 2008, 02:45 PM
Your iPhone is working perfectly fine. You just need to clean out your headphone port becuase it is dirty and is tricking the iPhone into thinking the headphones are plugged in when they're really not. Thus, the headphones work and the speaker does not. Try plugging your headphones in and out about 20 times and blow out your headphone port with an air can. It will be back to normal in no time. Same thing happened to me a while back.

jimmy83
Aug 26, 2008, 04:55 AM
Your iPhone is working perfectly fine. You just need to clean out your headphone port becuase it is dirty and is tricking the iPhone into thinking the headphones are plugged in when they're really not. Thus, the headphones work and the speaker does not. Try plugging your headphones in and out about 20 times and blow out your headphone port with an air can. It will be back to normal in no time. Same thing happened to me a while back.

I've tried plugging-unplugging the headphones both the cx400's and iPhone ones. I take it you mean try using compressed air?

docamit
Aug 26, 2008, 02:55 PM
clean the headphone jack as well as the iphone. its a tight fit and if you have dirt etc on the jack then you will short circuit the iphone into wrongly sensing which state the headphones are - worked for me.

Amit

sugadocious
Sep 20, 2008, 09:22 AM
I play my iphone through my speakers in the car with the casette adaptor( i
found online for 3.95)--And i noticed that sometimes after I pull the adaptor out, the music will stop playing thru the phone. and it will stop ringing...all my apps make sound, games etc....but no sound from the ipod or ringing of any kind! I then held the top silver button and the circle with the square in it button for 3-5 seconds--- restarted the phone ---sound to phone and Ipod feature came back loud and clear.....

mmccaskill
Sep 26, 2008, 08:05 AM
My problem is the ear buds aren't connecting. Plug them in and sound still comes out of the speaker. They look rough and I see a wire exposed next to mic so I guess they're shorted.

MyWifeH8sIphone
Jan 13, 2009, 04:31 PM
Hey Guys,

New to the forums here. Had an iphone unlocked and jailbroken for the past year using it on T-mobile. My favorite phone ever.

Although about 2 months ago, my speakerphone/ringtone speaker stopped working. Not entirely, just when any sound comes through it it sounds completely broken - completely distorted. So I have tried all the tricks, upgrading to 2.1, taking the earbuds in and out and to no avail. So my next step is to just replace it.

Heres the link to the speakerphone replacement...http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...link:middle:us

Oh and this is NOT the "i think one side of my speakerphone is broken" syndrom. I saw that thread, and it is not me.
Now, on youtube I can pretty much find every type of video - taking the iphone apart, etc. Buy no one anywhere says anything about the ringtone speaker. Is there just a clip I remove from the mother board? Is it soldered on? I work on r/c planes with alot of electical and soldering experience so I have some basic knowledge on electronics.

Has anyone done this? Is there a youtube video or a thread already dedicated to this?

Any help is much appreciated.

epicjames
Feb 15, 2009, 09:36 PM
My sound also stopped working today. No music through ipod, or pandora. Couldn't hear clicks. My ringtones would work tho. I went to sound settings and turned keyboard clicks off, then on and it works fine now.

dizash
May 1, 2009, 10:55 PM
I've been having this problem off and on for about a week. NONE of the many fixes have worked. What has worked was smacking the back of the phone into the palm of my hand.
So, either it's a loose connection internally or I'm jarring something in the headphone port to allow it to work. This just worked so I'll keep my eye on it. I'm really not looking to get a 3rd phone and have to restore everything, jailbreak, redo categories, etc. but if the problem continues, it's back to the genius bar for a new (aka refurb).

grungerabbit
May 2, 2009, 06:18 PM
so uh, i've tried the headphone thing and the q-tip, and i was very surprised that the speaker started working again when unlocking and playing music [ringtones work just fine, so it's not a problem with the speaker i don't think]

however, about three seconds later the "this accessory is not meant to be used with the iPhone turn on airplane mode?" popup happened, and it stopped working again

so i don't know what the problem is anymore
the speakers stopped working yesterday, after my friend tried to soft reset my phone but instead made it whitescreen and do nothing

...oh wow, i just got a text and the tri-tone worked, then the popup happened and sound failed again
is there any way to suppress that popup in general?

i228
Jun 15, 2009, 07:14 PM
so uh, i've tried the headphone thing and the q-tip, and i was very surprised that the speaker started working again when unlocking and playing music [ringtones work just fine, so it's not a problem with the speaker i don't think]

however, about three seconds later the "this accessory is not meant to be used with the iPhone turn on airplane mode?" popup happened, and it stopped working again

so i don't know what the problem is anymore
the speakers stopped working yesterday, after my friend tried to soft reset my phone but instead made it whitescreen and do nothing

...oh wow, i just got a text and the tri-tone worked, then the popup happened and sound failed again
is there any way to suppress that popup in general?

Did you get your phone wet? Try this http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=350765&page=8

I'm also having speaking problems... I restored my phone then jail broke due to unstablility issues. Now my sound doesnt work for text messages, and typing messages, or any app that has sound. When someone calls the ringtone still works and I can head and talk on the other line, and if I use my headphones those work also. Just not my speaker :(

EDIT: I fixed my sound issue... I forgot that I had also tried using the technique before I restored today http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7499671&postcount=175 this should restore sound for you. Be warned sometimes it doesn't always work but within 60 secs or so sound should work again.

zilojian
Jul 4, 2009, 09:29 PM
hi guys,

I just a bought 2nd hand iphone. Initially able to hear sounds,
after i Jailbreak with 2.2.1 and suddenly switch to auto headphone mode while playin apps like Youtube or Games.
i did a restore and unfortunately have to upgrade to OS 3.0 which i did so.
and restore back to factory settings.
The problem came back with auto headphone mode while playin apps.
But if i leave my iphone without playing apps or youtube, it will be in ringer mode
unless i play the latter.
I tried to clean my headphone jack etc and use cotton bud to clean etc.
and plug in/out headphone 20over times. still the same happens
if i completely off the iphone for 2-5 mins, the ringer will be back on till i play apps.
anyone got the same issue before? need help!!

paulic
Jul 9, 2009, 08:35 AM
My 3G iphone is driving me crazy. A new one was given to me in May when I encountered WIFi problems. The last two weeks after 3.0 update, I have been experiencing a soundless iPhone - only sound is the ringing tone. When no sound, cannot hear the games, songs from iPod, new delivery of SMS & mails, successful sent of SMS & mails and also keyboard clicks. Practically every option in the Sound settings enabled can't be heard. Can hear phone ringing when someone calls. i tried restore but problem still exists. As I was lying in bed sick the last two days, I got the opportunity to observe the behaviour of my iphone. The sound comes on and off intermittently after without any change of settings or resetting. Another weird thing is the error message that "This accessory doesn't work the iphone....." even with nothing attached to it. I am wondering if this is really the signs of 3.0 instability or this one month old iphone has hardware problem.

Zoom41
Jul 29, 2009, 12:39 PM
in the upper left above the volume control buttons, there is a slider that will toggle sound off and on. give that a try.

Hey thanks very much this worked for me,i feel like a right dumb ass
i must have tryed everything else and if this did not work was gonna do hard restore but thankfully am spared all that cheers. :)

shelly49
Aug 6, 2009, 05:34 PM
I have only had my iPhone about a month now and today the sound was going on and off and now is pretty much not working at all. I am not too happy right now but hope there is an easy fix to this

amro
Aug 12, 2009, 03:52 AM
So, I lost the sound on my 3GS as well yesterday. Read through this thread, and felt silly blowing into my headphone jack. Lo and behold, sound returned.

Goteman
Nov 27, 2009, 06:23 AM
My phone just had this problem for the first time today, I fixed it by restoring the phone in iTunes.

Gadgetgeezer
Nov 28, 2009, 05:06 PM
I fix iphones and I have found a bad problem on one which I purchased. The speaker is very crackly and sometimes doesn't work as is the earpiece - sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I have done alot of research and found that all the sound is controlled by a Wolfson CODEC and I now have the data sheet for it. It controls microphone, earpiece, headphone and speaker i.e. changes digital signals into analogue ones which humans can hear.

Now that I know this, I pressed down on the area of the board where this chip sits and hey presto, the sound returns. It is a bad fault to have but always a possibility for others if you think everything else is ok.

Cheers

Spencer

areddingrn
Nov 30, 2009, 06:28 PM
Lock sounds has to be on in the settings to get the "slide to unlock" to sound and the sleep sound. I thought I had a problem, but it was there in general settings under sounds. Ya'll probably already knew that, but for me as a newbie to the iphone, it was a discovery...lol

michaelkristine
Dec 1, 2009, 09:36 AM
I found an issue that may be causing this. The sounds stop when it is connected to a bluetooth device. When the sound is not working, see if you are connected to a bluetooth device. Turn off bluetooth and see if your sound comes back.

cjcampbell
Apr 8, 2010, 09:18 PM
Now I have this problem -- sometimes sound works; most often it doesn't. If I plug something into the connection port and jiggle it the sound will sometimes come on, but it will not stay on.

AdobeWanKenobi
Aug 11, 2010, 07:50 PM
I have an iPhone 3G, and I had the same issue a while ago. It seems that the issue is with the build quality (or lack thereof) of the combination speaker/mic/antenna/buzzer/dock connector module at the bottom of the phone. There it develops a short in the connection, which being intermittent, will result in the external speaker failing to reproduce sound.

I have noticed the following things:

When you squeeze the phone from the sides, in line with the home button, sometimes this will (temporarily) correct the issue.

I found a slightly more permanent fix (lasts days instead of minutes).

I was able to determine that the short is located where the 2 pieces of flex circuit come together, near where the home button makes contact with the module. (The two exposed copper rectangles.)

I cut a piece of business card into a triangle and jammed it under the flex circuit as shown in the picture. This seems to correct the issue, and lasts until the paper gets dislodged by the vibrations in the speaker. I have to 'reset' the paper chip every few months, but it's better than not hearing an incoming call!

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
/\dobe \/\/an

http://www.hyperoptic.net/data/sites/2/dsc04678.jpg

stevejust
Dec 31, 2010, 12:47 AM
I've got an iphone 4G, and it's doing the "you have headphones plugged in" when I don't. My girlfriend called three times, and it wasn't until the 4th time I figured out I needed to plug in the headphones. It wasn't even switching to speaker phone the first few times, but now it will. That may or may not be relevant, because:

I've plugged in/unplugged the headphones countless times.

I tuned the phone on and off.

I've tried compressed air in the headphone jack. That didn't work.

I did a hard reset.

I stuck a q-tip in there and tried to clean it out.

Anyone got any further suggestions before I stand in line (after Christmas, no less) waiting for the genius bar?

Protip: tomorrow is new years eve, and I wanted to go out of town for a few days and I'd really like my phone to work correctly before I go.

AngelusRen
Jan 22, 2011, 09:58 PM
I have had this issue repeatedly and it always just seemed to fix itself. However, the last time It happened it didnt fix itself so I had to work out what was wrong. All of the fixes and issues described here and elsewhere online did nothing. I worked out that the reason it wasnt making any sounds is that the phone thought that it was attached to a dock. The dock connected had dust in it that was making it think it was attached. After cleaning it out, the sound came back.

It is a little tricky since the volume indicator doesnt say it is connected to an external source like it does with headphones but that is what was wrong.

TLDR: If you are having trouble with sound, clean out your dock connector port. It is probably dusty.

poison1vy
Jul 9, 2011, 03:49 AM

i didnt even think of checking that been messing with the settings for ages as all the phone wld do is vibrate cld get no sound at all must have knocked it somehow dont think i wld have checked that either so thankyou for letting me have sound bk on my phone now i can hear when ppl ring rather than seeing loads of missed calls lol :)

curti016
Sep 28, 2011, 10:42 AM
I have an iPhone 3g that is 2 years old now, and recently started having problems with the sound, I have read tons of blogs and even called apple, but of course they won't help me without paying $199! So I need help from anyone please!

The Issue:
No sound at all! iPod will not allow music to play, pandora error message comes up saying "Pandora encountered a problem that paused the music...", youtube won't work, phone does not ring for incoming calls, can't hear anyone when I try to make a call, no sound coming from apps (such as Angry Birds). But texting still works and I can receive the calls, I just can't hear anything and the caller can not hear anything either.

Attempts I have made to fix the problem:
1) plugging and unplugging headphones
2) resetting ALL settings
3) completely wiping out the phone and restoring all data
4) turning phone on and off
5) resetting by holding top button and round button

Any suggestions on what else to do? It seems like there is something wrong with a player or something??? Thanks in advance for help!

Kb1980
Sep 30, 2011, 05:02 PM
The Issue:
No sound at all! iPod will not allow music to play, pandora error message comes up saying "Pandora encountered a problem that paused the music...", youtube won't work, phone does not ring for incoming calls, can't hear anyone when I try to make a call, no sound coming from apps (such as Angry Birds). But texting still works and I can receive the calls, I just can't hear anything and the caller can not hear anything either.

Attempts I have made to fix the problem:
1) plugging and unplugging headphones
2) resetting ALL settings
3) completely wiping out the phone and restoring all data
4) turning phone on and off
5) resetting by holding top button and round button

Any suggestions on what else to do? It seems like there is something wrong with a player or something??? Thanks in advance for help!

I have the exact same issue but with an unlocked phone. I had the phone checked and it is not a hardware issue as the repairer even put a new dock into the phone but it made no difference.

Suggestions would be much appreciated

Jennifer210
Oct 8, 2011, 10:17 PM
Three brand-new iPhone owners I know have asked me about this in the last week, and Iíve heard the Apple Store has gotten more than a few walk-ins who think their iPhones are busted because of this. So, what better way to start out the New Year and our new iPhone 101 series ó for new iPhone owners ó then with this little how-to.

The iPhone has a hardware mute switch, which lets you quickly and easily turn the ringer off and put the iPhone into vibrate-only mode. Itís located on the left side (facing the device) directly above the volume rocker. When the ring/silent switch is in-line with the volume rocker, the ringer is on. When the ring/silent switch is offset from the volume rocker, the ringer is muted (and only vibrate is on).

A bell will flash briefly on the screen when the ringer is on, a bell with a line struck through it will flash briefly when the ringer is muted.

(Note: the iPhone will still sound alarms, play iPod music, and allow apps like games to make sounds even when the phone is set to silent)

Categories: Beginner Tips
Tags: Beginner Tips, how-to, ring, silent

dan8379
Oct 14, 2011, 07:15 AM
Have had my phone for a few months and just experienced this issue yesterday. Tried everything that had been suggested and nothing worked and was planning on taking it into the Apple store today. Decided to plug it into the computer and sync it and for some reason that did the trick and the sound started working again.

Leigh0976
Dec 7, 2011, 10:20 AM
This has been an ongoing problem for me since I traded my 3GS for the 4s. It only happens when I'm streaming video but it shuts down all sounds and no I did not use my headphones I was streaming through the speaker. I'm well aware of the quick silent/noise button on the side as I use it everyday and that is not the problem. If I reset the phone the sound will come back on as well as if I turn the phone off but lately there is less time in between these episodes. Today while streaming a tv show it went out 3 times in 30 mins. It's extremely annoying and worrisome as I use my phone as an alarm clock as well and I worry the sound will just quit sometime before my alarm goes off. Is apple working on an update to the OS to fix this problem or do we just have to live with it?

steelhip
Dec 10, 2011, 12:32 PM
This may be off the thread a bit but I was having problems with my iPhone 3GS (ios5 old boot rom) freezing up intermittently and the camera would also lock up at tomes after installation of the cameralocker lockscreen app from Cydia. For a while I was hard resetting the iPhone two or three times a day. I thought the problem was being caused by everything else except the camera locker app but, when I removed it, all of the problems went away. For instance when the music is starte on the iPhone now and when it is put into sleep mode, the music will continue. Before, it would stop. Also, music played through Apple TV from the iPhone would also stop. So, after that app was removed, and now when I double tap the home button, the slider and with the ios5 camera icon are there on the lock screen! I no longer have camera or phone freeze up problems. It may be a solution to other problems some people may be having too.

q64ceo
Dec 31, 2011, 04:01 AM
Same problem, too.

I think it has to do with a bad iPhone charging port. The iPhone thinks its in Dock mode (hooked up to a dock with speakers), so it mutes all sounds but the ringer.

I am going to get mine replaced tomorrow. That seems like the only fix aval for this issue.

Edit:

Ok guys, it looks like a few iPhones have some bad charging connectors. The iPhone thinks its in Dock Mode/Accessory Mode 24/7/365. Besides a total replacement for an iPhone (hard for me since my closest Apple store is damn far away), this is a software solution.

Prerequisites: You must have a jailbroken iPhone with iOS 5 and OpenSSH installed.

Step 1: Download CyberDuck http://cyberduck.ch/

Step 2: Open CyberDuck and SFTP to your iPhones IP address.

Step 3: Navigate to /System/Library/LaunchDeamons

Step 4: Delete com.apple.iapd.plist

Step 5: reboot

Cons: if you have accessories such as a dock with speakers or certain phone adapters for your car, you will no longer find these accessories working.
tags iphone 4 iOS5 no sound no keyboard click ringer volume buttons headphones

EvolutionXGSR
Jan 1, 2012, 11:37 PM
Almost 5 years & 5 iPhones later and still no fix from Apple on this? I don't know about you, but I find that pretty damn pathetic to be quite honest. Happened to me on Christmas Eve(great present, thanks Apple) and still haven't been able to fix it.
External sound doesn't work at all. Happened halfway thru a video that I was watching on the youtube app. Sound just stopped. Sound thru headphones, bluetooth, etc works fine. Have tried pretty much everything listed on this thread and countless others that I found on google when searching for a solution. Have restored the phone 2 different times, synced it like 5 times, have cleaned the charging jack, headphone jack(w/ windex + q-tip, air can), reset my setting 2 times, flicked mute button on/off over two dozen times, inserted headphone jack in/out countless times, etc etc ETC ETC!!!!
Did just about everything except throw the damn phone at the wall, which i'm pretty sure would finally fix the issue of it making a sound.
Have had my 32g 3GS since it's release, so yes, no warranty anymore. Would've upgraded to the 4GS at the same time as my wife, but decided to hold off and wait for the next model. Now, this happens and it sucks because i'd really love for it to last me several more months until I decide to upgrade.

Any new updates on this?

Seraphim Reaper
Mar 10, 2012, 10:39 PM
I have a problem with the iPhone 4s sound, because when I am playing a game like temple run or bejewled blitz, the sound will work until a little bit into the game when I am in the middle of playing. I have jail broken my device, but that doesn't seem to be the problem, because I read that jailbreaking doesn't affect sound. My mute switch is off, so my ringer is on. Does anyone else have this problem, please help!

AerisLLC
Mar 17, 2012, 04:05 PM
I had the same problem and the sound ended up working after I turned off my WiFi then plugged and unplugged the headphones.

This worked for me-- I've been turning my iphone on and off about 7 times including pressing the top and home button for 5 seconds. I noticed the problem after my headset cable was yanked off the phone during a vigorous workout at the gym, then the sound started acting funny. Every time i tried to turn the volume up with the side buttons there the speaker icon came up but it was blank...

I simply replugged in my headset and turned the "Volume (ringer)" button up and down and it seems to have worked.

Thank you for this, Yoman!!

Arelunde
Mar 17, 2012, 07:44 PM
Do you have the side switch (upper left as you face the screen) with the red showing? That silences all sounds. If it's red, flick the switch toward the screen and you should be back in business.

Fugly
Mar 28, 2012, 01:53 AM
Same problem, too.

I think it has to do with a bad iPhone charging port. The iPhone thinks its in Dock mode (hooked up to a dock with speakers), so it mutes all sounds but the ringer.

I am going to get mine replaced tomorrow. That seems like the only fix aval for this issue.

Edit:

Ok guys, it looks like a few iPhones have some bad charging connectors. The iPhone thinks its in Dock Mode/Accessory Mode 24/7/365. Besides a total replacement for an iPhone (hard for me since my closest Apple store is damn far away), this is a software solution.

you are dead right!!! i was about to take my 3 month old iPhone outside and drive the car over it... then i remembered that Google is my friend and found this site. I saw your post and hooked my phone back up to the computer and plugged and unplugged the phone 3 or 4 times and it worked. then it stopped again, so i repeated the action and it worked. i suspect that because i work in the coal industry, i have dust in my charging port, so i am going to shut it off later and give it a gentle blast of air.

thank you!! saved me smashing my phone... which i have grown rather fond of!!

Willia
Apr 18, 2012, 09:24 PM
Ok, so the bug just HAPPENED out of nowhere... I have an iPhone4, and i tinkered with it for like 15 mins. none of the tips i got worked (using toggle, etc.0 until i saw a video where a man simply went to settings, sounds, ringtones, let them play a few times (they'll work wince they're one the speaker) and then the sound worked, the buttons and everything, the sound bar was on his music and stuff, BUT his headphones were in which didn't seem to help. BUT, I did it anyway (went to settings, sounds, ringtones and messed around with all of them for a couple minutes0 then i went straight to music and it worked and now youtube works and so does the click sound with the slider and EVERYTHING is back to normal... in 18 mins. :)

thanks,

-Willia

drsox
Apr 25, 2012, 06:09 AM
Do you have the side switch (upper left as you face the screen) with the red showing? That silences all sounds. If it's red, flick the switch toward the screen and you should be back in business.

Thanks for this - it has solved a similar problem for me.

LaPlong
Jun 18, 2012, 03:22 PM
have you tried going to settings>general>reset>reset all settings?

Thanks, I was also under the impression this deleted all data but it just resets sounds, brightness, back screen etc and your data is safe. All sounds on my phone are all working :)

Melody64
Aug 24, 2012, 01:19 PM
did you accidentally flick the switch down on the side? by the left side, top? i was wondering why i had no sound but when i tested the text sound it worked, so yeah... i accidentally knocked it down , flicked it up and it works!!! :P :D

Jsb01
Sep 14, 2012, 03:18 PM
My sound spontaneously stops working on my iphone when i try to use pandora and YouTube and shorty after this message has been popping up on my screen every ten seconds:

"This accessory is not optimized for this iPhone. You may experience a decrease in cellular signal strength."

What can I do to fix the problem? What's going on?

ShiTzuism
Sep 24, 2012, 11:41 PM
Just happened to my 4s:( Doh!!

merie22
Nov 2, 2012, 10:50 AM
This is the second time this has happened to me. I have a 3gs. The first time (about a month ago) happened a few days after my phone took a hard fall. To my surprise, no cracks. However, none of the side buttons worked (silent mode button, volume buttons...) and even the top button near the headphone jack. Witch sucked cause if my phone lost battery and I couldn't charge it, I had no way of turning the phone back on....

Then all of sudden, the sound stopped. When I tried playing anything on my iPod, it would just go to the end of the song but never played anything...After a few more days of that, it just started working again.

This morning, my alarm didn't go off:(. I had a feeling it was the same thing...Sure enough, no sound. The Alarm App I use is called "Alarmed" created by Yoctoville. I'm wondering if it has something to do with that app. When I grabbed my phone, it was switching from the alarm sleep mode to ipod mode (I use songs from the ipod for the alarm) super fast as if there was some computer virus on it...I'm guessing the bug.

I plugged it to my iTunes, nothing..I did the update and it gave me an "Error 4002" but it still kept updating..so now I'm waiting. I hope this fixes it, it's taking a while...

It couldn't update. Unknown reason?!?! UGH!!!:mad:

I'm doing a hard shutdown...That worked!!!!! .....And now the update seems to be working from iTunes.

I'm not sure what caused the sound to just stop working, but doing a hard shutdown worked for this second time...

swains.mate
Nov 3, 2012, 02:02 PM
I had an issue with my 4 on ios 6 that the sound got stuck low. The sound was getting like mixed up between sound effect volume, ringer volume, etc.. Sounds like its a common issue. Anyway I could nto turn it up no matter what I did.

I heard 2 solutions one of which I tried and worked instantly. What I did was a home/power button soft reset and things wer eback to normal. I also heard plugging and unpluggin gheadphones would correct the prob

paulold
Dec 3, 2012, 01:14 PM
I have been experiencing this issue myself and it's happened a few times now. Basically, as others have reported, I will notice that my phone has stopped making noises. Since I do make use of the switch to silence my phone regularly, I just assumed I had my phone silenced. But then I realized it was set "on" and still no sounds - no typing clicks, no sounds when I turn on/off the phone. I didn't actually try to play music with my iPhone speakers but I will next time.

I also experienced a weird thing in my car. I have an adapter that lets me connect my iPhone to my car stereo via the lightning port. And just yesterday, I was trying to play music and I could barely hear it. I had to turn my stereo way up to hear it.

Thus far, my fix has been to soft restart my phone. That has worked to fix the sound issues every time I've noticed it. I of course tried to mess with the volume switches and the silencer switch, to no avail. Restarting the phone does the trick for me.

I find it hard to believe it's the headphone jack since I have never had a problem with dust getting in there all these years of owning an iPhone.

I have an iPhone 5 with the latest iOS and it is not jailbroken and I've never dropped it.

Caitlynn
Jun 14, 2013, 07:04 AM
Same thing happened to me :( I fiddled around with it but the sound keeps going away right after I get it back. I gave up... Since my battery was low anyway, I plugged it in and the sound came back. Try that. Maybe your battery was too low or something. If your phone is really old, it might also contribute to the sound problem. Mines been with me a almost 2 years.

Kukla5609
Jun 14, 2013, 11:30 AM
Okay I just made an account to answer this!! Call someone and talk to them and stuff hang up and it will be working fine!!