Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005

Are there any problems with the iPhone that we girls may face that the average male wouldn’t? Do long fingernails, for example, interfere with the use of the iPhone's touch interface in any way? Let’s find out….

I've been texting on the iPhone like mad ever since I got it. Texting is the easiest way to get in touch with most of my friends, so if it didn’t work well with long fingernails, my nails would be gone, or at least shortened. And I do love my nails!

Read Full Article

rachaface

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
i used to have long gel nails (3 of them broke off this week :X but i've been wanting to get rid of them for the months ive had them), and they did get in the way. granted, theyre longer than the average nail, but it was really difficult to pinch with them.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
i used to have long gel nails (3 of them broke off this week :X but i've been wanting to get rid of them for the months ive had them), and they did get in the way. granted, theyre longer than the average nail, but it was really difficult to pinch with them.

I usually use two hands. Hold down my left thumb and pinch open and pinch shut with my pointer finger on my right hand. Much easier, with or without nails, imho.

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
You need the actual skin-to-screen contact to do anything with it.

Interestingly, I've found that the thin latex gloves we use at work actually function with the iPhone. I'm pleasantly surprised, and no longer have to worry about operating it with my nose. :p

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
Guitar Players

I play guitar for my own amazement (finger picking) and keep my right-hand nails a little longer than normal.

I have short, chubby fingers and I try to key text on the iPhone with the tip (nail) of my fingers... I have problems with the iphone, unless I stop & think to use my fingerpads instead of fingernails...

... Since I started adjusting to the iPhone, I can't type worth crap on a normal computer KB. %^(>

Rivka

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2007
ok first of all, to the OP, you do not have long finger nails be any stretch of the term. I would say for long nails, mine are just about in the middle, and they are way longer than yours, way shorter than those girls with the dragon nails all blinged up.

i have very little problem using my iphone despite the longer nails, but i do use it differently than other folks. i notice for instance that i use my index and middle finger (instead of thumb) flat on the surface to pinch and pull it happened very effortless that way and just stuck

and the glove thing? i got mine to work thru fine leather gloves, not great but enough to unlock it and make a call

My Garmin Nuvi has a great touch screen.
It cost me just as much as the iPhone would... (if I had one :()

it is soo funny and frustrating at times because i have a Nuvi on my jeep as well and going back and forth from a conductive touch screen (iPhone) and a pressure touch (Garmon Nuvi) means that i have to constantly resent my behavior

wickedsteve

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2006
You call those little things long? Those are not long fingernails. My friend has long fingernails that make yours look short. She had a few problems using my iPhone.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Thanks! I was worried about this as well. My nails are longer than yours in the pic, but when I tested it in the store, I didn't make a single mistake. Kind of freeked me out.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
You call those little things long? Those are not long fingernails. My friend has long fingernails that make yours look short. She had a few problems using my iPhone.

For 13 years of my life, I played violin and viola so my nails were trimmed down to the wick. They feel long to me.
Long enough to feel somewhat elegant, but short enough that I can still decorate cakes, gift wrap at work, etc.

*shrug*

Claypidgeon

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
I've noticed issues with using the screen when other people are holding my phone as well. Wierd. I suspect maybe its just that they aren't holding onto it as "hard" as I would be when I know I'm going to hit the screen with the other hand.

Bahwinkle

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
Houston
I've noticed issues with using the screen when other people are holding my phone as well. Wierd. I suspect maybe its just that they aren't holding onto it as "hard" as I would be when I know I'm going to hit the screen with the other hand.

I think of it like a loyal dog, knowing who it should trust.

HotdogGiambi

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
Charlottesville, VA
Are long fingernails compatible with LIFE?

This should be the real question. What's up with long fingernails anyway? Why bother. Seems like a ridiculous cultural stereotype perpetrated on women. Make up, perfume and long fingernails are absurd. Break free of the Matrix and trim those talons and stop painting your face like Bozo the Clown. It'll also probably make typing on your iPhone easier.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
This should be the real question. What's up with long fingernails anyway? Why bother. Seems like a ridiculous cultural stereotype perpetrated on women. Make up, perfume and long fingernails are absurd. Break free of the Matrix and trim those talons and stop painting your face like Bozo the Clown. It'll also probably make typing on your iPhone easier.
But please continue to shave those legs and armpits ;)

Gonzlobo

Suspended
May 9, 2007
Albuquerque

Please go back to france. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.