Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Hey,

There is a large chance that Apple will put the new DVD-R Drive from Pioneer (DVR-A03) in its macs.

The new drive is about $150 cheaper than the new one and therefore the price of the iMac could drop by about that amount, therefore it would return to its original price.

The new drive is also faster.

Lets just hope this happens!

Ensign Paris

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
i would think they would just take the better margin over dropping the prices again, altho if they catch enough heat for the IMHO justified price increases, anything is possible.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Knowing Apple and its need to look good in the eye of the consumer, they just might announce in MWNY that the prices will come down, so sorry for the past several months....

I could see Jobs up there talking about how all the other PC makers upped their price 10%-20% and now Apple's lowering, maybe even more than $100. The new superdrive would be a good way to get them there, but other prices for components will have to stabilize or come down too.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Both very good points! On one hand, Steve could use the price drop as ammo for the other companies' raises, and on the other hand, they could keep the extra profit by maintaining the same price. Usually I have a definite thought as to what will happen, but this is a toss-up... I could see either one easily happening! And neither one would be that bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.