Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oOSpOOkYOo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
I don't know why this never crossed my mind, or why I haven't seen anyone else really mention it (haven't searched the forum btw), but essentially if someone could un-cripple (is this at all feasible?) the bluetooth on the iPhone and also write some program, couldn't we use a fairly cheap, ~$45, bluetooth GPS receiver to get REAL GPS functionality?

-Steve

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I'm sure there will be a 3rd party dock port connector GPS device out at some time.

Honestly I need to know where I'm going, I already know where I am.

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2005
I was veryyy upset that GPS was not included (or any way of providing live-updating turn-by-turn directions) but then after just several minutes on the google maps app, I was so impressed by the wealth of information provided (far more than my car's nav system) that I am more than fine without it! Having an actual picture of the destination is very useful!

llarson

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
A little more pricey but a GPS option

I have the Garmin Nuvi 360 GPS unit $450.00.

It has Bluetooth for HANDS FREE calling and will sync to your iPHONE and upload your contacts to the Garmin. It also has a FM transmitter so I can play calls through my car stereo. It also has a mic that works great.

I have GPS, Bluetooth calling and when I hook the iPHONE to the iPHONE adptor I have on my Murano I can listen to music through the stereo and when a call comes in the iPHONE mutes itself.

The Grmin is very small and works great.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-All

The iPhone doesn't need GPS. It already has locational technology built-in, as do every mobile phone sold in the US since March of 2002.

Wonder if Apple will enable us to use it for other than 911 calls?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.