Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

capoditutti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
London
What is the procedure for installing a new hard drive in a 3G ipod? I've got the replacement drive and put it in already, but i'm still getting the dreaded Folder with exclamation mark... Any help?

*iPod will not show in itunes, either on a windows machine via usb or on a mac via firewire

cApO

Rasheem

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2006
well i cant help you with much. but i do know that you will have to use firewire. USB will not work.

capoditutti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
London
why doesnt it work with USB? i was just trying to get either version of itunes to install something onto the disc so i can then get to work on sorting it all out in iTunes on OSX, but i cant get it to do anything.. In XP it actually does more than in OSX - in XP it shows as a malfunctioning USB device, but nothing shows in OSX..

capoditutti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
London
I spoke to someone at Apple UK about my problem and they said it's likely there is some sort of fault with the logic board - how can i tell if the HDD is still working ok, because now i've got 2 40gb HDDs for a 3rd gen iPod and nothing to use them with!

Because the logic board is likely to have a fault, it may be why the HDD test in iPod diagnostic mode doesnt complete, and all the other tests do?

Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.