PDA

View Full Version : David Coursey explains (again) why he thinks it's a good id...

MacBytes
Jul 21, 2003, 08:11 AM
Category: Opinion and Speculation
Link: David Coursey explains (again) why he thinks it's a good idea to put Mac OS X on Intel. (http://asia.cnet.com/newstech/perspectives/0,39001148,39142023,00.htm)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Bear
Jul 21, 2003, 09:12 AM
It's of course a bad idea. Some of the comments on CNET actually state why.

Will application developers want to support yet another platform?

Will they drop PowerPC is they start to support Pentium based Mac OS X?

The ocst of adding an additional platform o both application developers as well as Apple. Also, Will CompUseless give enough space to stock this?

Apple will have to train all their hardware support people to support another platform. Come to think of it, the software people will have to be trained on both sets of hardware. Some might require more than others depending on what they support exactly.

And of course the last reason why I rhink Pentium based Max OS X is not a good idea at all is that the Pentium chip architecture is deficient in my opinion.

Apple might do better to port Mac OS X to Sun SPARC systems. But this is also a lousy idea for the reasons stated above. But at least it's a decent processor architecture.

mrsebastian
Jul 21, 2003, 11:26 AM
a random thought on vpc... for those that have been following the soon to be upgraded osx, remember how they had user switching where the screen would "rotate" to the next user. well why not incorporate vpc to run seemless as if it was another "user". i would think this could be a huge marketing tool to switch over windows users.

pretentious
Jul 21, 2003, 02:41 PM
a random thought on vpc... for those that have been following the soon to be upgraded osx, remember how they had user switching where the screen would "rotate" to the next user. well why not incorporate vpc to run seemless as if it was another "user". i would think this could be a huge marketing tool to switch over windows users.
Well your going to have to ask Microsoft if they like that idea since the would involve Windows and now even VPC. Sounds real cool but that whole MS thing makes me think that it isn't going to happen.
I don't think that MS are wanting too many switchers, but you never know :).