PDA

View Full Version : OSX Based iPods In August?

MacRumors
Jul 11, 2007, 09:04 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

DigiTimes claims that Wintek has been given the contract award (http://www.digitimes.com/displays/a20070710PD217.html) for producing the the panels of Apples upcoming iPod refresh, which DigiTimes notes will be in August. The touch screens will reportedly be similar to the iPhone's touch screen.

Steve Jobs made comments during a town hall meeting of Apple Employees that the Mac OS X group was working on unreleased iPods as well as the desktop OS and iPhone OS. Analyst Gene Munster (http://guides.macrumors.com/Gene_Munster_%28Analyst%29) recently chimed in (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/09/os-x-based-ipods-soon/), stating he believed that the updated iPods would come by Macworld 2008.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/11/osx-based-ipods-in-august/)

Poff
Jul 11, 2007, 09:08 AM
I'm guessing it's too early.. If they released it now, it would cannibalize the iPhone sales. (or, it would have to not incorporate stuff like notes, web-browsing and stuff. Just be a plain iPod. But why produce such an expensive iPod if nothing is gained apart from CoverFlow?

On second hand - I'm just plain stupid. You've got the huge screen for videos - that's enough for me wanting one. :)

FF_productions
Jul 11, 2007, 09:08 AM
I can't wait!

Matteh117
Jul 11, 2007, 09:10 AM
Touch screen iPod..? Well that sold it for me.

:)

Aniej
Jul 11, 2007, 09:10 AM
thus bringing the tally to 200,000,000 iPods v. 1,000,012 zunes.

Aldyn
Jul 11, 2007, 09:11 AM
I can't wait!

ditto

roland.g
Jul 11, 2007, 09:13 AM
2 scenarios:

1. iPhone only through xmas so that it is the hot holiday gift. Then new iPods at MWSF 08.

2. new iPods in either September or November in time for xmas.

bommai
Jul 11, 2007, 09:14 AM
Lots of rumors recently without any basis. JP Morgan retracted the iPhone nano claim yesterday. I am sure Apple is working on new iPods - that is expected. But, no one knows when it will be out.

GreasyWeasel
Jul 11, 2007, 09:14 AM
Bringing out a 120GB wide touch screen iPod now would not stop me wanting to get an iPhone once they release over here, it would just make me a happy man now.

mickeymikey
Jul 11, 2007, 09:15 AM
August makes much more sense. The Macworld rumor just doesn't fit Apple's MO of carpet bombing consumer gear for XMAS.

P-Worm
Jul 11, 2007, 09:18 AM
I think it is in Apple's best interest to make a new iPod before Christmas that doesn't have a monthly fee attached to it. I would love a new iPod that is geared around playing videos rather than just music. Give me a large screen. I don't think they need to include internet access either, although that would be nice.

P-Worm

iBeard
Jul 11, 2007, 09:19 AM
I have a theory that the "iPhone Nano" everyone is talking about is actually the 6th Gen iPod. This would help back that up if the new iPod has touch screen and runs OS X.

zombitronic
Jul 11, 2007, 09:19 AM
But why produce such an expensive iPod if nothing is gained apart from CoverFlow?

I'm not sure that it would be that expensive, at least not any more than the current top-of-the-line iPod. When Apple creates a better version of a product of theirs, gen-X usually becomes unavailable through Apple, while gen-Y takes its place and price. I would assume that gen-6 of the iPods, if only an iPod, will follow this same pattern.

lorien
Jul 11, 2007, 09:20 AM
:):):) Can't wait either! I've only been waiting 3 years for this baby, so a few more months won't hurt. I agree it might canabalize the iPhone somewhat, but at the same time at the current bleeding iPhone price point :apple: has to be missing out on a large potential market.

defeated
Jul 11, 2007, 09:21 AM
this would be nice, would be a device Im willing to pay for, if it has a wi-fi. :D

Matteh117
Jul 11, 2007, 09:22 AM
2 scenarios:

1. iPhone only through xmas so that it is the hot holiday gift. Then new iPods at MWSF 08.

2, pleaaaaaase 2.

It would make sense for them to release before christmas. It's not like it's an iPhone competitor (that's the right word, right?).. it doesn't have a phone (or WIFI?).

Remove the clickwheel and add multitouch... winner.

zorinlynx
Jul 11, 2007, 09:24 AM
I'm guessing it's too early.. If they released it now, it would cannibalize the iPhone sales. (or, it would have to not incorporate stuff like notes, web-browsing and stuff. Just be a plain iPod. But why produce such an expensive iPod if nothing is gained apart from CoverFlow?

On second hand - I'm just plain stupid. You've got the huge screen for videos - that's enough for me wanting one. :)

I don't believe it would cannibalize iPhone sales; rather it would generate more sales from people who:

1) Want a new touch screen iPod,
2) Are happy with their current phone and don't want to change.

That fits this Treo 650 user to a tee, so by releasing such a device, they'd gain a sale they otherwise wouldn't have gotten.

I'm sure many folks are in my category.

Thataboy
Jul 11, 2007, 09:24 AM
If Apple releases a touchscreen iPod, I don't see it including WiFi. A WiFi touchscreen iPod would obliterate sales of the iPhone.

I think they will say "WiFi is an unnecessary battery drain" and say they are positionining it as the king of all media devices, not an internet communicator.

ajhill
Jul 11, 2007, 09:27 AM
New iPods, new iPhones, new MacBook Pros, New iMacs next month.

Have you ever seen a company so focused on improving their product line so aggressively?

The real question is, how many of those people who were packing the Apple stores before and after the release were "New to Mac" customers. I saw a lot of boxes leaving the store. Not that I'm a "trusted source", or an "Apple insider" just a guy who had to wait in line to buy a display. It was like the Christmas season was starting early.

L3X
Jul 11, 2007, 09:30 AM
before Sept 15th would be nice so i can use the $200 student rebate after i buy my MBP.

I don't want all the monthly fees of the iPhone but i would buy a TS iPod soon.

the iPods are due for an update. I'm guessing they will be around the same price as the current vid iPods, $300 or so.

SiliconAddict
Jul 11, 2007, 09:31 AM
About fracking time. My 60GB iPod Photo is down to 2GB of free space. I've been deleting stuff I know I will never listen to...How the hell did Vanilla Ice get on my iPod?!?! But its not enough.

Come on Apple! Screw the iPhone. Give me my 100GB iPod Video.

splintah
Jul 11, 2007, 09:31 AM
yeah thats what we need

an iphone without phone ability
but 30gb + of storage
wifi organizer
and widescreen

waiting for half a year now

alec
Jul 11, 2007, 09:34 AM
oh god if it has wifi + osx, just put it in my mouth and let me suck on it

Glenny2lappies
Jul 11, 2007, 09:34 AM
Lets hope it's not another MacWorld dominated by bloody consumer goods again. It'll be nice if it's got some computing content for a change!

iPhone = iBore

pagansoul
Jul 11, 2007, 09:35 AM
The real question is, how many of those people who were packing the Apple stores before and after the release were "New to Mac" customers. I saw a lot of boxes leaving the store. Not that I'm a "trusted source", or an "Apple insider" just a guy who had to wait in line to buy a display. It was like the Christmas season was starting early.

It's not X-mas time till after Labor Day :D Remember when it used to come after Thanksgiving.

jay-t
Jul 11, 2007, 09:36 AM
If true, I hope the screen is going to be as scratch-resistant as the German one of the iPhone! Otherwise I already can see complains comming :(

Glassman
Jul 11, 2007, 09:36 AM
web browsing - unlikely, that's an iPhone's work and large part of it's appeal
wifi - ditto

iPhone look & feel - oh yeah
plenty of disk space - sure
iPod games - you bet

comming for xmas shopping season..

iMichael72
Jul 11, 2007, 09:37 AM
to...How the hell did Vanilla Ice get on my iPod?!?!

Ice, Ice, baby!!

Rojo
Jul 11, 2007, 09:38 AM
I don't think it's going to have wifi either.

I also think it might have a very different form factor, to differentiate it from the iPhone.

defeated
Jul 11, 2007, 09:40 AM
If Apple releases a touchscreen iPod, I don't see it including WiFi.
ahhhh, thats my bottom line, but i guess i really want a pda then. :D

Digitaljim
Jul 11, 2007, 09:42 AM
This is music to my ears!

I sold my 30gb 5th gen a few months ago in order to beat the drop in value when the 6th gens are released. Didn't think i'd be waiting this long though.

BTW: As a stop-gap music player i got the iRiver Clix2 4gb (http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h1278.htm)- I cannot recommend it enough! It has a simply stunning screen for video and a really great flash-based interface which has loads of sexy themes. Not a full-size iPod beater, but certainly a contender for the nano's crown.

JetStar
Jul 11, 2007, 09:42 AM
Remember the iPhone is currently only available in the US, if they release a new iPod it will be available throughout the world thus not cannibalizing the iPhone sales. Plus so many people have been waiting for a new iPod, more than have been waiting for an iPhone.

wifi on it would be a bonus, but it definitely needs to be widescreen.

Glassman
Jul 11, 2007, 09:44 AM

I also think it might have a very different form factor, to differentiate it from the iPhone.

the form factor is largely determined by the available display formats and the harddrives.. I think it'll be like the iPhone sans it's 'forehead' and 'chin'.. that would mean no home button - very well possible as it's iPod with a limited functionality and not a networked communicator.. I'd guess the interface will look more iPod-like wherever practical..

Stella
Jul 11, 2007, 09:47 AM
This will be great. Its about time Apple made some serious changes to the iPod. For a few years now the iPod has remained largely static with minor enhancements.

Watching movies on the iPod will be more bearable - assuming a landscape option.

iPhone interface on the iPod will ensure the iPod remains ahead of the competition.

barcodebawtv
Jul 11, 2007, 09:50 AM
So iPods, iMacs, and MacBooks (ultra little slim.... whatever) are all supposed to be changing by August. This dramatic of a change usually requires Mr. Jobs on stage making an audience scream at his new toys
"... and one more thing, it makes your coffee too."
As far as I know, nothing is planned, have they ever had a sudden presentation for anything like this?

bravedeer
Jul 11, 2007, 09:51 AM
Only downside I can see of running OSX on iPods is that there'd be a "boot time" just like the iPhone has. Or am I wrong and it can be in standby mode all the time just like the current iPods? :)

jklps
Jul 11, 2007, 09:52 AM
It's not in direct competition to me. I want an iPod to play music, and 8gb for me just does not cut it.

I want a 120 hint hint.:mad:

Multimedia
Jul 11, 2007, 09:52 AM
I sure hope they go all the way to one third HD resolution instead of iPhone res. In any event I will definately be getting the one with the largest capacity as I now have almost 2TB of iPod compatible files sitting on four 500GB USB drives with more than 2TB of original EyeTV recordings still to be ripped down to another TB or so. And here comes the Fall season including the new Bionic Woman... :eek:;)So iPods, iMacs, and MacBooks (ultra little slim.... whatever) are all supposed to be changing by August. This dramatic of a change usually requires Mr. Jobs on stage making an audience scream at his new toys
As far as I know, nothing is planned, have they ever had a sudden presentation for anything like this?Paris Apple Expo September 25-29. Four years ago Steve introduced the 15" Aluminum PowerBooks there. While that's later than this prediction, it's certainly a time and place for Steve to tell us the date Leopard will ship with "free" upgrades for all who purchase one of these new babies before then.

And don't forget the new 8 core Mac Pros too.

kw78
Jul 11, 2007, 09:53 AM
Do you really think Apple is afraid cannibalizing its own iPhone with a product of equal value. Come on. An iPhone-esque iPod (with HDD to differentiate enough) would allow them not only to reach a broader Int'l market but also to avoid the wait and see attitude of people currently interested in an iPod only.
And yes with Wifi and ... (read iChat) it is also be a "breakthrough Internet Device". This is just basic market segmentation and consumer choice.

rockthecasbah
Jul 11, 2007, 09:55 AM
As much as I'd love it to be earlier since I will be buying one as soon as they come out, i think the update will come a month later, after the Free iPod Nano College deal has finished running its course through the leftover iPod inventory. That seems to the pattern Apple has run, so why release a new product that will get much hype at a large discount time?

Besides, this is a story from Digitimes, 'nuff said :rolleyes:

bobber205

That many sold or shipped? ;)

darh
So iPods, iMacs, and MacBooks (ultra little slim.... whatever) are all supposed to be changing by August. This dramatic of a change usually requires Mr. Jobs on stage making an audience scream at his new toys
As far as I know, nothing is planned, have they ever had a sudden presentation for anything like this?

Yeah no problem, they can sent out media inventations a week before the event... They did quite some times actually!

Sweetfeld28
Jul 11, 2007, 09:56 AM
How the hell did Vanilla Ice get on my iPod?!?!

That's hilarious. Note to self: Take Vanilla Ice off my iPod. :D

CommodityFetish
You can bet it will be after Sept 15 when the edu ipod promo ends. These promos are there to get rid of the old stock before updating the product line.

I don't think they'll wait until January, it's been too long since they had a major revision of the ipod. They need a new mass market device for the holidays, which the iphone isn't and Jan will be iphone2 right?

I bet it will look much like the iphone, but only with its ipod functions. That will keep it from cannibalizing iphone sales. But since it looks a lot like the iphone, it will seem like everyone you see on the street has an iphone... :rolleyes:

and you will want one too.

FJ218700
before Sept 15th would be nice so i can use the $200 student rebate after i buy my MBP.

I don't see this happening until after the summer MB + nano promotion ends. they want to unload as many as they can before an update

ccrandall77
Jul 11, 2007, 09:57 AM
I think it is most likely that a new 6G iPod will be released right at the end of the back to school sale in mid-Sept. There's no way they can leave the iPod line w/o a refresh for over 15-16mos.

I do, however, fall into the camp of people that think the 6G iPod will not have WiFi/Safari/mail. I think it is likely that it'll only be an A/V player with updated versions of the PIM apps that the iPod has now plus video games. I hope I'm wrong, but lately new Apple products just seem to fall short of perfect. Still very cool products, but they always leave you wanting for just a little bit more.

RaulCelis
Jul 11, 2007, 10:00 AM
:eek:!!!!!!!!!! I want this iPod!

Sweetfeld28
Jul 11, 2007, 10:01 AM
Only downside I can see of running OS X on iPods is that there'd be a "boot time" just like the iPhone has. Or am I wrong and it can be in standby mode all the time just like the current iPods? :)

I don't think that it would have that noticeable of a difference if it is in fact Flash memory based. This is exactly why HD manufacturers are trying to incorporate flash memory into HDs [faster boot times, and less battery usage].

I just don't know how well Video plays from all Flash based systems, hopefully Apple will incorporate these new hybrid drives into these new iPods.

Eraserhead
Jul 11, 2007, 10:03 AM
1,000,012 zunes.

Have they actually announced that they sold a million yet or are they still "on track" to selling that many. They haven't had a press release (http://advertising.microsoft.com/press-release) about it yet.

iAlan
Jul 11, 2007, 10:03 AM
I think we will see a widescreen iPod before te end of August.

No WiFi, no internet, no iPhone like functions. ust the next generation iPod.

Big HD, nice screen, basic multitouch, scratch resistant and a slightly differet form factor to differentiate it from the iPhone

Let7s remember that Apple will be rolling outthe iPhone in other geographies and I am sure they do not want a similarly functional iPod to steal iPhone sales - if Apple gets a percentage of the monthly fees onthe iPhone then that is a revenue stream they will not want to loose.

Anyway, widescreen iPod, nothing more, nothing less - and in August.

I can only hope...

And 2.444 yen is US$0.02 a todays exchange rate

sneakyh
Jul 11, 2007, 10:11 AM
Anyway, widescreen iPod, nothing more, nothing less - and in August.

Don't forget COLORS!
I bet the new iPod changes very little, but just comes in more colors like the Nano.

lord patton
Jul 11, 2007, 10:12 AM
I think the iPods will have WiFi, and I think that is in part because Apple/Jobs recognize the value of viral content, such as YouTube.

Apple created iTS to make their hardware more attractive, not to make money directly. It is a significant step for Apple to leverage a third party into doing the same thing i.e. Google/YouTube makes the iPhone and :apple:TV more attractive.

Apple is getting better at partnering. In the case of :apple:TV, Jobs said that it will continue to evolve, and that shared-content from the internet, not paid content from your home PC, may be its killer-app.

If Jobs thinks that about :apple:TV, then I don't think he's going to offer the new iPod with out YouTube and WiFi. We'll see, though.

whatever
Jul 11, 2007, 10:13 AM
I have a theory that the "iPhone Nano" everyone is talking about is actually the 6th Gen iPod. This would help back that up if the new iPod has touch screen and runs OS X.

Since someone else brought up the iPhone Nano, I thought I would take a second to respond.

There will be no product called the iPhone Nano in the future.

And those early iPhone adopters who are afraid of being left behind when the iPhone moves to AT&T 3G network, should not worry either. The iPhone will support 3G with a software patch once AT&T is ready, which may happen at the same time that iPhone is launched in Europe.

Sorry to be off topic, but just thought I would mention it.

As for the iPod, expect the new video iPod this year, well before November and expect it to be the best selling iPod of all time!

hbwill
Jul 11, 2007, 10:13 AM
A couple of thoughts:
1. Using iPhone components for a new ipod will create economies of scale and reduce production cost for both.
2. In order to keep the thin “nano” form, solid state memory would be used and also increase economies of scale, driving solid-state memory costs down and allowing capacity expansion at the same price point.

cliffjumper68
Jul 11, 2007, 10:20 AM

If they released a wifi internet capable ipod it would steal a lot of the thunder from the iphone since only wifi offers a quality web experience.

Padraig
Jul 11, 2007, 10:20 AM
[QUOTE=whatever;3904430]
And those early iPhone adopters who are afraid of being left behind when the iPhone moves to AT&T 3G network, should not worry either. The iPhone will support 3G with a software patch once AT&T is ready, which may happen at the same time that iPhone is launched in Europe.
QUOTE]

The iPhone doesn't contain a 3G radio, therefore it's impossible to enable 3G via a software patch.

Cloudsurfer
Jul 11, 2007, 10:22 AM
I'd get a full sized iPod if I had a few GB of music. I'll just stick to my nano instead.

ariza910
Jul 11, 2007, 10:27 AM
Am I the only one that thinks a touch screen iPod is a step backward when your current iPod has probably one of the best controls ever on an electronic device, the click wheel!

I actually wish that the iPhone had a small click wheel a the bottom in addition to the touch screen.

what a shame - I guess people dont remember what a pain in the ass the 3g iPods were with those touch button controls. I couldnt use it while snowboarding, I would accidentaly tap pause instead of skip forward when using it in the car, it was terrible.

and yes I do have an iPhone and love the multi-touch but please keep the click wheel on the iPod.

macFanDave
Jul 11, 2007, 10:32 AM
If Apple releases a touchscreen iPod, I don't see it including WiFi. A WiFi touchscreen iPod would obliterate sales of the iPhone.

I disagree.

I've wanted the "iPhone without the phone" since Steve spoke of the three devices. I was disappointed that the cool ones were brought low by the most obnoxious technology developed in the past quarter-century. Aside from the annoyance that I would be stuck with AT&T, I simply do not like possessing a cell phone. When "they" invent the technology that allows others to call me only when I want to hear from them (or when it isn't dangerous to talk), I might like it. But until that day comes, cell phones are more trouble than they are worth.

I think the number of people who will buy an iPhone just to get the iPod/Internet communicator features (and accepts the odious phone capability as a price to pay for the other greatness) is quite small, so the potential for cannibalization is pretty insignificant.

Of course, when Apple comes up with the mind-reading technology to determine when I want to talk to someone, I'll get the full-fledged iPhone ;)

Delicious-Apple
Jul 11, 2007, 10:33 AM
WiFi is needed but for built-in Apps (that don't include Safari or Mail). That said, Apple may hold out for Revision 2 just to make everyone buy two of those bad boys.

I'd like to see:

Widescreen MultiTouch

Could be Flash or 2.5 HD Storage

YouTube App

Remote Control for your other Apple Media Devices (Front Row on your Mac, Apple TV)

Wireless Sync (Apple TV Style)

Photos

Games

and that's about it.

PS: I forgot to mention, similar headphones to those released with the iPhone so there is still some physical functions when it comes to basic music playback

whatever
Jul 11, 2007, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=whatever;3904430]
QUOTE]

The iPhone doesn't contain a 3G radio, therefore it's impossible to enable 3G via a software patch.
Really.... I must be mistaken then (LOL).

Time will tell.

zombitronic
Jul 11, 2007, 10:36 AM

Sudden presentation...probably not, as this would require letting people know ahead of time that there's going to be a presentation to attend. Sudden press release is more likely.
I could see new iMacs or MacBooks being introduced via a press release, (probably with daily rumors for a few weeks earlier stating that a new product will be unveiled tomorrow,) and then popping up on the apple.com main page for the rest of the world to witness.
If the new iPods are even half of what everyone is expecting, my guess is that Jobs will want to show it off, which is why my bet goes to MWSF.

Random Ping
Jul 11, 2007, 10:37 AM
I'm guessing it's too early..

I feel it is too early as well. Something just doesn't smell right.

(Edit: OK, I've changed my mind just a little. If Apple wants to promote the iPod and iPhone for games, then it would make sense for Apple to ditch the current video iPod (which uses the click wheel for input) and go with a touch screen video iPod. This way, game developers would have a consistent platform for game development.)

yzp
Jul 11, 2007, 10:49 AM

dump for apple, but pretty cool for us!!

not that I'll get one, but it is awesome for apple's prooduct!! I mean, innovation never stops!! Apple:apple: is on its way to conqueer the world, again!

Porchland
Jul 11, 2007, 10:53 AM
2 scenarios:

Agreed. The long lag without a new iPod and the fact that the technology is already in the iPhone makes me think September/October.

Apple will have to figure out how to distinguish the iPod from the iPhone. The iPod will be cheaper and have a larger drive, but it's going to be difficult to come up with features that make sense on the iPod but not on the iPhone.

ccrandall77
Jul 11, 2007, 11:00 AM
If they released a wifi internet capable ipod it would steal a lot of the thunder from the iphone since only wifi offers a quality web experience.

While I suspect the new iPod will not have WiFi, I personally don't buy that it'll steal any thunder from the iPhone if it does. I think that in a very short period of time, iPhone sales will be flat because everyone who really wanted one probably already has one. Then there will be those people that are waiting for their contracts to terminate that'll provide some sales volume, but I just can't imagine sales being very high for a device that ties you to a poor cell provider and doesn't offer some very basic phone and PDA functionality.

Probably only when a major software patch or the release of a 3G capable iPhone comes out will sales spike again. But I just don't think that releasing an iPod which is an iPhone - phone + more storage is going to impact iPhone sales that much.

Mantronix
Jul 11, 2007, 11:01 AM
WiFi is needed but for built-in Apps (that don't include Safari or Mail). That said, Apple may hold out for Revision 2 just to make everyone buy two of those bad boys.

I'd like to see:

Widescreen MultiTouch

Could be Flash or 2.5 HD Storage

YouTube App

Remote Control for your other Apple Media Devices (Front Row on your Mac, Apple TV)

Wireless Sync (Apple TV Style)

Photos

Games

and that's about it.

PS: I forgot to mention, similar headphones to those released with the iPhone so there is still some physical functions when it comes to basic music playbackThat would be a dream. I've been holding off on an iod to see if they fer updated.

apb3
Jul 11, 2007, 11:04 AM
Do you really think Apple is afraid cannibalizing its own iPhone with a product of equal value. Come on. An iPhone-esque iPod (with HDD to differentiate enough) would allow them not only to reach a broader Int'l market but also to avoid the wait and see attitude of people currently interested in an iPod only.
And yes with Wifi and ... (read iChat) it is also be a "breakthrough Internet Device". This is just basic market segmentation and consumer choice.

As a shareholder, I'd care... and I hope Apple cares as well.

While it may not seem the "nicest" thing, Apple is getting A LOT of those very same people who would buy "just" the TS iPod to compromise and get the iPhone because there is no TS iPod yet. Releasing said TS iPod would eat into said sales of said iPhones. And, Apple needs the iPhone to show well in the marketplace. You'd be dividing sales numbers across two (or more) products when they could just sit back and let those people who can't or won't wait for the actual TS iPod get the iPhone. Nothing's stopping them from releasing it later once that market is saturated and those who had the patience to wait will STILL buy the TS iPod thus maximizing apple's sales in both product lines.

Anyway, I lose interest in this argument. Basically just a long way to say that anyone intersted in maximizing profit/profitability DOES care.;)

schnico
Jul 11, 2007, 11:05 AM
Along with a lot of the folks posting here, I also want the new iPod to have WiFi. But I don't think it will come with WiFi and a browser.

Jobs just made it clear that the iPhone is one leg of a new 3-legged-stool strategy. Do you think he is likely to immediately go chopping on the new leg, and also undercut AT&T? I don't. Apple will add WiFi to iPods, but later, not now.

So I believe these new iPods will be similar to iPhones, but will have no phone, no WiFi and of course, then, no browser.

I already have two fine functional iPods (3G and 5G), so I don't see getting this 6G, as I want WiFi and browser too. So instead for my next "iPod" I will get the 12" ultra-micro-mini portable, which I believe will have multi-touch, WiFi, flash storage, and a full OS X, and will be a really butt-kicking iPod. Except for this little detail - it won't fit in my pocket. Oh, and one more thing...it will cost a tad more than a 6G.

Thomas2006
Jul 11, 2007, 11:06 AM
Did Microsoft reach their goal of 1,000,000 Zunes by the end of June?

emotion
Jul 11, 2007, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=whatever;3904430]
QUOTE]

According to the ars technica disection of the device the Infineon multimedia chip on the iPhone is 3G capable.

I think the new ipod, if based on OSX, is likely to have wifi and at least you tube support, if not a web browser. We need a proper way to hook this to a TV too (not sure you can do that with the iphone).

Porchland
Jul 11, 2007, 11:11 AM
A couple of thoughts:
1. Using iPhone components for a new ipod will create economies of scale and reduce production cost for both.
2. In order to keep the thin “nano” form, solid state memory would be used and also increase economies of scale, driving solid-state memory costs down and allowing capacity expansion at the same price point.

How large an all-flash HD (or HDs) could an iPod have and stay in the current price range? 16 GB?

scootermafia
Jul 11, 2007, 11:14 AM
If you think that the Ipod is going to have web browsing capabilities or other iPhone-like features other than a refreshed media player interface with touch controls, you're smoking crack. There's no way they'd put the 620mhz iPhone processor into an iPod, it's worth too much. With the insane cost of the (hoped for) 120GB iPod hard drive, it'd be like 800 bucks. I don't believe any of that.

richpjr
I'm not sure I buy the cannabalize argument on the iPhone. If Apple released an iPod that had everything but the phone in it, they'd sell a hell of a lot more of them than they'd ever sell iPhones. I am stuck with Verizon and am out in the cold for an iPhone, but I'd buy a device like that in a heartbeat. So would many other people. Does it really matter if they make money on phones or music players?

hvfsl
I think it will have wifi. But the main use of wifi will be to share your content with other 6g ipod users, itunes and the Apple TV. Plus you will be able to watch youtube and listen to internet radio when near a wifi hotspot.

Plus in early 2008, UK users will be able to view BBC programmes on the thing with the iPlayer (they are currently developing it for many different platforms), although it will be Windows XP only at first. It has been hinted at that the iPhone is one of those platforms, so as long as the new iPod has wifi, it should be able to do it too.

nja247
Jul 11, 2007, 11:19 AM
I don't see this happening until after the summer MB + nano promotion ends. they want to unload as many as they can before an update

I dunno, I believe the new iPods would be to replace the current "video ipods" and not the nano's. So I don't think that would make a difference.

swwack91
Jul 11, 2007, 11:19 AM
i just want this to come true. new iPods in august!

right now i have a 2GB nano that only holds a fraction of my library and my bday just passed so i have plenty of spending money.

iPod please!!!:apple::D

swwack91
Jul 11, 2007, 11:22 AM
and to follow up -

the next iPod won't have WiFi internet like browsing. it would only be there for exchanging content or buying from the iTunes store. maybe youtube... but definitely not full browsing - it would be too much of a PDA like the iPhone.

nja247
Jul 11, 2007, 11:27 AM
and to follow up -

the next iPod won't have WiFi internet like browsing. it would only be there for exchanging content or buying from the iTunes store. maybe youtube... but definitely not full browsing - it would be too much of a PDA like the iPhone.

If it had WiFi capability, which was limited in any capacity, I can assure you that there would be a huge effort to crack it wide open. I personally don't foresee WiFi because it'd just drive up the price. If you want internet, get the iPhone.

emotion
Jul 11, 2007, 11:28 AM
If you think that the Ipod is going to have web browsing capabilities or other iPhone-like features other than a refreshed media player interface with touch controls, you're smoking crack. There's no way they'd put the 620mhz iPhone processor into an iPod, it's worth too much. With the insane cost of the (hoped for) 120GB iPod hard drive, it'd be like 800 bucks. I don't believe any of that.

If they're gonna have functionality like the iphone (multitouch, media handling etc) then they're going to need that power as it's running OSX. In any case economies of scale always kick in for these things (as the development cost s amortised across more devices).

I agree the cost is something they need to keep an eye on however.

mudaudio
Jul 11, 2007, 11:31 AM
I think it will have wifi. But the main use of wifi will be to share your content with other 6g ipod users, itunes and the Apple TV. Plus you will be able to watch youtube and listen to internet radio when near a wifi hotspot.

I agree with this.

I think the new iPod will have wifi, but will mimic Apple TV, in that it will allow content streaming across devices, youTube access etc.

Losing the PIM/Internet/comms features, but enabling media streaming ala Apple TV will differentiate from the iPhone, offer a complete 'multimedia' experience (as apposed to communications) - and potentially allow cross selling of the Apple TV as people become familiar with its features and ease of use... If Apple can mimic the iPod/Mac halo effect in this way then Apple TV may beging to get some grounding in the market.

That would be my strategy anyway. Obvious and fair differentiation between iPod/iPhone, with the added benefits of synergy with Apple TV and Front row etc.

ps. I'm sure the hackers would have a field day cracking OS X and installing full functionality etc. but that's another story!

OldTimey
Jul 11, 2007, 11:31 AM
iphone=ibore indeed.

apple...we need updated versions of Logic, iLife, Aperture...get Leopard out the door on time...

sure macs and ipods are cool...but i dont use a mac because it looks cool, i use it cause it runs OSX and the software i like to use...

it's about the software! c'mon, make some more cool software!

Telp
Jul 11, 2007, 11:39 AM
New ipods with the release of the new iMac? Well if the iMac is gunna be as different as they say, i think not.

m-dogg
Jul 11, 2007, 11:39 AM
Am I the only one that thinks a touch screen iPod is a step backward when your current iPod has probably one of the best controls ever on an electronic device, the click wheel!

I actually wish that the iPhone had a small click wheel a the bottom in addition to the touch screen.

what a shame - I guess people dont remember what a pain in the ass the 3g iPods were with those touch button controls. I couldnt use it while snowboarding, I would accidentaly tap pause instead of skip forward when using it in the car, it was terrible.

and yes I do have an iPhone and love the multi-touch but please keep the click wheel on the iPod.

I strongly disagree - In my opinion, the 3rd generation was the best style iPod they made. I've been holding on to mine becasue I don't like the current click wheel. It's always felt like a step backwards to me...

OldTimey
Jul 11, 2007, 11:40 AM
If it had WiFi capability, which was limited in any capacity, I can assure you that there would be a huge effort to crack it wide open. I personally don't foresee WiFi because it'd just drive up the price. If you want internet, get the iPhone.

well id consider it, but i dont want to use the iphone as a phone...650+2000 in contract fees?

PSP has wifi, a larger, brighter screen than ipod, plays games, plays music, video, internet browser...for $169. yea i know it's sony, doesnt have multitouch blah blah blah, but point is, it shouldnt be hard for apple to turn a profit on a 399 80GB wifi ipod.

don't think theyll do it though.

Stella
Jul 11, 2007, 11:40 AM

Plus in early 2008, UK users will be able to view BBC programmes on the thing with the iPlayer (they are currently developing it for many different platforms), although it will be Windows XP only at first. It has been hinted at that the iPhone is one of those platforms, so as long as the new iPod has wifi, it should be able to do it too.

iPlayer relies upon micrsoft formats + DRM

Mac development will be evaluated every 6 months.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6236612.stm

mudaudio
Jul 11, 2007, 11:41 AM
it's about the software! c'mon, make some more cool software!

To me, this argument is like saying... C'mon Virgin, stop messing about with broadband internet services and start making my trains run on time. Virgin do both, but they are distinct business units.

Ok so OS X was delayed by iPhone, I'll give you that... But only because they were developing software.

Second, many believe OSX for iPhone to be the most revolutionary software for mobile devices ever created, stomping on Windows Mobile and the crappy Symbiam OS.

As the lines between computing and mobile devices become eve more blurred, an OS capable of dominating both areas is surely the 'coolest' software I've seen in a while.

cliffjumper68
Jul 11, 2007, 11:45 AM

I have really enjoyed the click wheel interface as well, but the last generation wheel was a step backwards. My 4th gen ipod had a concave convex setup that made it easy to find and orient on by feel. My 5th gen video ipod is completely flat which makes it more difficult to distinguish where your thumb is. I could see that being an issue with a touch display as well.

OldTimey
Jul 11, 2007, 11:46 AM
oh and as for cannibalization, if anything is cannibalizing anything, it's the iphone on ipod sales.

what's better for apple, 12,000,000 iphones sold worldwide , and 50,000,000 ipods, or potentially 10,000,000 iphones and 60,000,000 ipods (if they introduced a wifi version)? (obviously this is worse for the carriers, which is why they won't do it)

yes, i KNOW this logic is flawed, there is no proof that a wifi ipod would only dip into iphone sales by a small amount and boost ipod sales by a huge number...but there isn't any proof as to the contrary soooooooooooo

it's all speculation.

OldTimey
Jul 11, 2007, 11:51 AM
To me, this argument is like saying... C'mon Virgin, stop messing about with broadband internet services and start making my trains run on time. Virgin do both, but they are distinct business units.

Ok so OS X was delayed by iPhone, I'll give you that... But only because they were developing software.

Second, many believe OSX for iPhone to be the most revolutionary software for mobile devices ever created, stomping on Windows Mobile and the crappy Symbiam OS.

As the lines between computing and mobile devices become eve more blurred, an OS capable of dominating both areas is surely the 'coolest' software I've seen in a while.

its not an argument. iphone is boring to me. while it is a fascinating product, and the os is a marvel for mobile devices...it well, you said it, delayed leopard, and most likely other unannounced updates and apps, that run on full version macs.

so osx on iphone is a revolutionary product...ok, if so, why can't devs make applications for it? it is amazing, a step forward, but pretty small scale compared to OSX for macs, and not terribly useful. Get final cut to run on an iphone, and then ill be impressed.

CommodityFetish
Jul 11, 2007, 12:00 PM
don't know why I didn't think of this before, but...

what are they going to use OS X for on an ipod, unless they are adding some new features not currently on the ipod? Maybe just games? But perhaps wi-fi and other iphone apps?

I hope so.

johnmcboston
Jul 11, 2007, 12:01 PM
i just want this to come true. new iPods in august!

Well, if that contract was 'just awarded', you're not going to see anything for months. Any new ipod that would come out in august would be in full production as we speak to make an August delivery.

mwxiao
Jul 11, 2007, 12:01 PM
August makes much more sense. The Macworld rumor just doesn't fit Apple's MO of carpet bombing consumer gear for XMAS.

I just checked MR's buyer's guide. None of the ipod or mac was released in August.

"Buy a MAC and get an ipod nano" lasts unitl mid sept., no new things will be released unitl this propomotion is over.

August makes no sense.

TuffLuffJimmy
Jul 11, 2007, 12:07 PM
Lets hope it's not another MacWorld dominated by bloody consumer goods again. It'll be nice if it's got some computing content for a change!

Macworld is for consumer products....

"I hope BMW doesn't come out with another danm car, I like the tee shirts they make way more"

izzle22
Jul 11, 2007, 12:09 PM
[QUOTE=whatever;3904430]
QUOTE]

This is true. Steve said in an interview that one of the reasons they didn't go with 3G is that the reciever was too big and they did not want to make the iPhone any larger but when the reciever gets smaller, in time they may implement it in later versions.

brepublican

Ewww? That just dun sound right :eek:

Anyway, we all know the iPod has to get a refresh at some point. And its definitely gonna be an improvement over the current gen. Touch screen, cover flow and some other goodies? Lets just hope its sooner rather than later- I'm willing to bet its this holiday season :apple:

bit density
[QUOTE=Macrumors;3904181]

DigiTimes claims that/QUOTE]

Digitimes has been so wrong so often, I am convinced this is Steve Job's blog entrapment source. This source is only all the things that are never going to happen, and I am not sure why any post that uses DigiTimes is given front page news anymore. What other than always being wrong should qualify you for Page 2???

CmdrLaForge
Jul 11, 2007, 12:12 PM
That would be really great - I am not sure I could resist.

cliffjumper68
Jul 11, 2007, 12:13 PM
I just checked MR's buyer's guide. None of the ipod or mac was released in August.

"Buy a MAC and get an ipod nano" lasts unitl mid sept., no new things will be released unitl this propomotion is over.

August makes no sense.

That would place a update in the Sept./Oct. time frame which would help to build holiday sales and coincide with the release of Leopard. One of the posts on Hackintosh was from a person who claimed to be a "Apple internal programmer" who said that no meaningful access to the iphone would take place until leopard was released. If there is cross platform compatibility between the OSX version of the iphone and Leopard, then it would make since that any new ipod built on the same mobile OSX would also require leopard. That is assuming of course that the post actually was from someone on the apple team.

gugy
Jul 11, 2007, 12:15 PM
My guess is end of October in a special event they will announce the new iPod line.
That way the iPhone news will start to become ordinary and Apple will take advantage of Xmas season shopping.

I believe the iPod 6g will have:
80gig / 120gig $299 / $399
widescreen, touchscreen
wi-fi
everything like the iPhone without the phone.

Bring it on!

bit density
Jul 11, 2007, 12:16 PM
The only thing that I would expect on the next Ipod is coverflow.

Steve Jobs seems enamored with it instead of a list view. Coverflow means a bigger screen, a bigger screen means that it is difficult to put a click wheel in.

So here you have something that looks like the Iphone, but is mearly an Ipod with Coverflow. I think you add simple calendaring and notes, and photos and games. But that is as far as you go. It probably won't have Wi-fi because of batteries.

But it starts with Coverflow.

RoDe
Jul 11, 2007, 12:17 PM
Well of course this was to be expected, nothing new here. But will they use Flash or HD or Flash for the 30GB and an HD for the 80 or higher model?

I just have one wish, BRING BACK FIREWIRE SUPPORT DAMNIT!!! please Apple please :mad:

age234
Jul 11, 2007, 12:21 PM
I don't think it'll have Wi-Fi or any other communications capabilities (though I'd love it). That would be too risky vs iPhone sales, I think.

But I'd still get one. It would most likely have all the other iPhone stuff - notes, calendar, photos, games, camera, etc - most of which iPods already have.

I just hope it comes out before I lose my student discount in October...

eastcoastsurfer
Jul 11, 2007, 12:24 PM
its not an argument. iphone is boring to me. while it is a fascinating product, and the os is a marvel for mobile devices...it well, you said it, delayed leopard, and most likely other unannounced updates and apps, that run on full version macs.

so osx on iphone is a revolutionary product...ok, if so, why can't devs make applications for it? it is amazing, a step forward, but pretty small scale compared to OSX for macs, and not terribly useful. Get final cut to run on an iphone, and then ill be impressed.

I agree with OldTimey. The iPhone as a phone is really boring. The new touchscreen interface is cool, but using it on a phone was the wrong place to debut it. After playing with an iphone for awhile it seems to me that touchscreen worked best managing photos (here it shined!) and maybe going through coverflow (although I can still reach my music faster by typing). As a general interface to a phone, I think the touch screen falls short.

I would much rather have seen Apple release Leopard and macbooks with optional touch screens or touch pads that worked like the iphones screen does. Of course that doesn't fit with Apples strategy of moving into general consumer electronics and away from being a computer company :(

Fwink!
Jul 11, 2007, 12:27 PM
I think we'll see wi-fi for a couple of reasons.

Internet Radio and Podcasts.

But I also think we will see reduced capacities, or the same capacity across the board.

I think simply being a phone will limit iPhone's cannibalization by a new iPod. They could have always put a 80 gig drive in the iPhone, after all.

It will be hard for Apple to justify limiting features on a new iPod if i shares the same OS as the iPhone.

Mgkwho
Jul 11, 2007, 12:30 PM
No way-

They'll release them in September along with refreshed nanos and shuffles.

-=|Mgkwho

age234
Jul 11, 2007, 12:31 PM
Incidentally, just for fun I've been looking over fan-made iPhone mockups from last year and before.

Wow. They must have looked cool at the time, but in retrospect they're all clunky to one degree or another. Apple really blew them all away with the actual design. They really have some visionary people working there.

Eraserhead
Jul 11, 2007, 12:39 PM

Really.... I must be mistaken then (LOL).

Time will tell.

Arstechnica seem to be saying that the iPhone DOES contain 3G hardware in their review, though they can't be sure.

vandlism
Jul 11, 2007, 12:43 PM
Ahh the new iPod, now with Mac OS X. What technologies can we bring now to the iPod because of this? Well all the things that we always hear so much about: Core Animation, power management, multitasking, memory managment, networking, etc. From this, I would guess that we will see a touchscreen iPod much like the iPhone including items such as YouTube. That means the iPod WILL have Wi-Fi, but not for communication purposes (Safari, iChat, etc). Expect it to steal the "social" from the Zune by offering Bonjour networking with other iPods, Macs, iPhones and the AppleTV. Be prepared to be able to browse your neighbors iPod music and purchase songs from iTunes on your iPod. This could help explain Apple's push for DRM-free music. With Apple placing OS X on their digital devices, there's not much separting them from computers. Currently, an unlimited number of iPods can be synced to your music library, but only a certain number of AppleTVs and other Macs can be authorized. With all the devices becoming essentially mini computers, the licensing and authorization becomes messy. Expect Apple to announce more DRM-free music when the next gen iPod ships.

vassillios
Jul 11, 2007, 12:51 PM
I'm guessing it won't have Wi-Fi (although i'm hoping it does). It will probably have bluetooth so you can do wireless syncing and headphones. I hope it also has the calendar and notes apps that the iPhone has. It might even have a camera?!?. I also hope it has the same metal backing that the iphone has...but I doubt that too.

gugy
Jul 11, 2007, 12:56 PM
this is good news.

I was ready to buy the iPhone, but the low storage and AT&T was not very enticing to me. I rather have a huge storage and just keep my Verizon phone (good reception) and have an amazing iPod widescreen.

I don't think the iPod with Wi-Fi will cannibalize the iPhone. Anybody who needs a phone and iPod together will buy the iPhone. The rest who hates AT&T and want more storage will get the iPod. In the end is a win-win situation for Apple. They will please everybody out there and make a killing this Xmas season.

I predict a special event around October to announce it.

yoak
Jul 11, 2007, 12:59 PM
Siliconaddict: "About fracking time. My 60GB iPod Photo is down to 2GB of free space. I've been deleting stuff I know I will never listen to...How the hell did Vanilla Ice get on my iPod?!?!"

He he he, I know the feeling

vassillios
Jul 11, 2007, 12:59 PM
If they were smart, they would have Wi-Fi and include some kind of interface that can play Sirius sat radio. I downloaded a free Sirius player for my MBP that automatically logs you into the internet browser player found on the sirius site. You never even have to bring up safari, it does it all in the background. I can see some kind of Sirius Icon on the main screen that does this for you (sponsored by Sirius of course).

So now you can listen to your music collection, watch movies, look at your pics and now listen to sat. radio over Wi-Fi. It would be even cooler if Apple/Sirius supplied an antenna that you could plug into the iPod so you can listen in your car where there is no Wi-Fi.

I would buy 1 in an instant.

cmcconkey
Jul 11, 2007, 01:01 PM
In order for me to buy one it will have to have WIFI. I am not going to get the iPhone until it is offered on another carrier around here. AT&T service (Customer and Signal) is so sad around here that there is no point in it. I currently have an 80gb (5.5 G) and it works great, but I want some of the features of the iPhone.

Nice 6G iPod

100-120 GB HD (Flash based OS in a perfect world)
Multi-Touch
WIFI
iTunes Store for purchasing
FireWire support brought back
Safari
Mail

This would make a very powerful iPod and would hopefully put a nail in the M$ Zune world.

Christopher

Chosenbydestiny
Jul 11, 2007, 01:03 PM

Do you mean 12? I haven't seen ONE person out here with a zune. And my friends who work in electronics stores tell me they just collect dust in the stockroom.

yoak
Jul 11, 2007, 01:11 PM
For me to get a new iPod it would have to have Wifi (that´s just me). Otherwise it´s not worth it.
I have a B/W iPod. Never bothered eith the colour screen, because it was so small. Iwould never watch movies or TV on a scren that size.
BUT it would be great to surf the web with my iPod.My mobile just dosen´t cut it on the web (the GPS is great though)

dumbduck
Jul 11, 2007, 01:17 PM
It does make some sense to have the new ipod come out in August. If you read the Buyer's Guide you see that the last two ipods (5G and 5.5G) came out 11 months apart on the same day. (October 12 and September 12) If Apple stuck to the average then the Ipod would come out on August 12. This isn't likely but I sure as hell hope that it happens.

My 6G Ipod
Widescreen with touch capabilities
80GB (low end) 120 GB (High end)
wifi
Optional Camera (for more money)
OSX
Itunes store
You Tube
Radio
Voice Recording
Speaker Built in (Better than the iPhone's speaker)

pacohaas
Jul 11, 2007, 01:26 PM
I really hate all the question marked titles, a question mark should be used at the end of a question, not a statement. It's called macRUMORS.com, we understand that it might not be true, there's no need for the constant uncertainty in every topic title. What are you trying to save your @$$ from?

Macrumors sucks?

bobber205
Jul 11, 2007, 01:29 PM
All I really desire in a next gen ipod is the ability to listen to online radio stations/music. That's it. :p

xfiftyfour
Jul 11, 2007, 01:34 PM
I think August is a little early, but I wouldn't be surprised by September/October - in time for xmas sales.

I'd love a touchscreen iPod. I realize they can't include too many of the iPhone features, but I really hope that wi-fi and the browser are ones that do make it onto the iPod..

queshy
Jul 11, 2007, 01:38 PM
it definitely won't have wifi...then it'd be too similar to the iPhone. if theres wifi and a browser let's say, they'd have to implement the iPhone keyboard...at that point the only main difference is the phone capability and at least 10x less storage!

for the 6th gen iPod all they need to and probably will put in is a fullscreen that has touch capabilities. it will be a bit thinner, and have 60 and 100 gb capacities. 'nuff said!

suzerain
Jul 11, 2007, 01:47 PM
First of all, iPhone without phone is exactly what I'd like to see, also. Or, iPod + OS X + WiFi; whatever you want to call it. Then I want to see Skype as one of the development partners, like Google.

Will it happen? I dunno.

I can say, though, that if Apple did put WiFi on iPod, then all the iPhone apps would be there, because Apple would want the experience to be completely consistent.

Secondly, I was a little surprised Apple agreed to a 5 year exclusive contract with at&t. Releasing a WiFi iPod would be a way around this; as presumably we're going to start seeing WiFi phones become more prevalent, and the iPod could become that market.

Finally, there would be one very beneficial use of WiFi on an iPod, and it's the same thing that's missing from the Apple TV: the iTunes store. I could conceivably see Apple adding iTunes Store to Apple TV and iPod at the same time if they added WiFi.

One negative is that they'd break the games, cause the iPod uses a different OS and processor than an OS X-based iPod would. So, they'd either be pissing off customers, or they would need to provide some sort of emulation for those, or else a re-download of what yu bught in an OS X-friendly format.

oscuh
Jul 11, 2007, 01:47 PM
I really hate all the question marked titles, a question mark should be used at the end of a question, not a statement. It's called macRUMORS.com, we understand that it might not be true, there's no need for the constant uncertainty in every topic title. What are you trying to save your @$$ from?

Macrumors sucks?

And in the context of this thread your post achieves what?

chyeahish
Jul 11, 2007, 01:50 PM

hahahahaha

AppleIntelRock
Jul 11, 2007, 01:50 PM
So long as they offer an 80GB+ capacity, I'd still purchase one- even though I own an iPhone.

abrooks
Jul 11, 2007, 01:52 PM
Arstechnica seem to be saying that the iPhone DOES contain 3G hardware in their review, though they can't be sure.

I can't find this anywhere in the review, care to link the page?

pacohaas
Jul 11, 2007, 01:56 PM
And in the context of this thread your post achieves what?
It's a comment about the title of this thread, I'd say it's relevant.

Flyinace2000
Jul 11, 2007, 02:00 PM
If this is true than it makes my decision to return the iPhone even easier.

ariza910
Jul 11, 2007, 02:04 PM

I have really enjoyed the click wheel interface as well, but the last generation wheel was a step backwards. My 4th gen ipod had a concave convex setup that made it easy to find and orient on by feel. My 5th gen video ipod is completely flat which makes it more difficult to distinguish where your thumb is. I could see that being an issue with a touch display as well.

exactly - the tactile feel is very important in an iPod - While Apple can probably get away with all touch screen on something like the iPhone I think the novelty will wear off very quickly on a music/video player like the iPod

ortuno2k
Jul 11, 2007, 02:09 PM
An iPod with two or three capacities, starting at 30GB, 60GB & 80GB.
It'd be widescreen, OSX based and using multi-touch like the iPhone.
It'd also have WiFi and Safari. Of course, an improved Calendar that syncs with iCal (or Outlook), it also syncs your pictures with iPhoto (or My Pictures in XP)...
I'd be all over that!

edgeman
Jul 11, 2007, 02:09 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070515 Firefox/2.0.0.4)

http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

DigiTimes claims that Wintek has been given the contract award (http://www.digitimes.com/displays/a20070710PD217.html) for producing the the panels of Apples upcoming iPod refresh, which DigiTimes notes will be in August. The touch screens will reportedly be similar to the iPhone's touch screen.

Steve Jobs made comments during a town hall meeting of Apple Employees that the Mac OS X group was working on unreleased iPods as well as the desktop OS and iPhone OS. Analyst Gene Munster (http://guides.macrumors.com/Gene_Munster_%28Analyst%29) recently chimed in (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/09/os-x-based-ipods-soon/), stating he believed that the updated iPods would come by Macworld 2008.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/11/osx-based-ipods-in-august/)

Well seems to me that Apple is in the process of buying lots of screens the more to build iPods, iPhones the better, also after selling 700,000 iPhones on a weekend in the US only and no where else means that iPod sales would be through the roof in Canada, UK, Europe, Australia, Pacific Rim countries and anywhere where NO iPhones are able to being sold .... Steve's NO Dummy so I predict that the NEW iPods will be there for the X-Mas Season, with Bluetooth built in & perhaps a Camera, can you say Digital Video as well as Digital Pictures and perhaps Maybe Sattelite Music being sold through the Apple Store as they have just about every artist there already.

Evangelion
Jul 11, 2007, 02:14 PM
I'm guessing it's too early.. If they released it now, it would cannibalize the iPhone sales.

I'm getting tired of that argument... What does it matter if one hi-margin product cannibalizes sales of another product from the same company? And would it really? Last time I checked, iPhone is a phone, whereas iPod is not. If you want an iPod, why get an iPhone? If you want a phone, you need to buy the iPhone, iPod is not an alternative. If you want a hi-capacity mediaplayer, you need the iPod, iPhone is not an alternative.

And why is everyone concerned about iPod cannibalizing sales of iPhones, but no-one is concered about iPhone cannibalizing iPods?

(or, it would have to not incorporate stuff like notes, web-browsing and stuff. Just be a plain iPod.

It would have the stuff current iPod has, plus bigger screen, new UI and maybe Bluetooth and some other new miscellianeous new features. Of course it would also have more storage-space.

But why produce such an expensive iPod if nothing is gained apart from CoverFlow?

Huh? Bigger screen, kick-ass UI, better design, more features (newer iPods have always had more features than the ones before it). People have kept on rebuying iPods, even though the newer models only offer better screen, more storage and smaller size. And that looks to continue.

Apple Architect
Jul 11, 2007, 02:24 PM
That would be a dream. I've been holding off on an ipod to see if they fer updated.

Anyone else think it will be a portable :apple:TV with a touch screen.

Makes kinda sense. They can use the same OS plug-ins. I am just a little unsure whether or not it will have wi-fi......

hmmmmm

Much Ado
Jul 11, 2007, 02:29 PM

Makes kinda sense. They can use the same OS plug-ins. I am just a little unsure whether or not it will have wi-fi......

hmmmmm

Well if it didn't have Wifi it would hardly be a mini :apple:TV.

The idea of streaming your music to your iPod like an :apple:TV, only without wifi is...well...not really possible at all.

kugino
Jul 11, 2007, 02:47 PM
though the iphone and touchscreen ipod would seem to have many similar features, i don't think they will compete against one another as much as people think. while the iphone has great ipod capabilities, it's still limited in many ways because of its small storage capabilities and battery performance constraints. while battery life may be good for smartphones, it sucks as a music/video device. and i'd still want the iphone to surf the web, do email, make calls, etc. now, if the iphone had a 40GB hard drive and battery life were improved just a bit more, then it would be a harder sell on the widescreen ipod.

a widescreen touchscreen ipod with 120GB hard drive for $400? count me in...

aidanpendragon
Jul 11, 2007, 02:56 PM
August...thank God if it's true...I need a commute media device, and the 5.5G doesn't cut it nearly as well as the purported 6G would.

ariza910
Jul 11, 2007, 02:58 PM

The idea of streaming your music to your iPod like an :apple:TV, only without wifi is...well...not really possible at all.

I would love to see a mini :apple:TV that can access all the content on my Apple TV over WiFi - sort of like a slingbox

huntercr
Jul 11, 2007, 03:08 PM
I think apple will wait a little while longer for ipod widescreen...Christmas or later as others have said so as to not cannibalize iphone sales, but also to wait for develpoment of a higer res screen...640x360 perhaps? thee's no way to do anything higher at 160ppi IMHO, which they could still fit into the same form factor when they get rid of all the stuff taking up the top and botum of the iphone.

Ha ze
Jul 11, 2007, 03:08 PM

I'm not sure it would have wifi, but it could have the same interface with touch controls couldn't it?

although if it has a youtube area like the :apple:tv then i guess it would have to, but even still the platform could just be a combo iPod/:apple:tv and sync it like the iPods, no streaming

storage
Jul 11, 2007, 03:12 PM
A Nokia N800 "killer" from Apple, I would buy that.

dswoodley
Jul 11, 2007, 03:13 PM
So if the new ipods do the same thing as the current ipods (play music, pictures, movies) just in a different form factor, why would you need OSX on them? What does adding OSX bring?

emotion
Jul 11, 2007, 03:19 PM
I can't find this anywhere in the review, care to link the page?

Look for the word Infineon in the disection of the hardware at the end of the review.

swwack91
Jul 11, 2007, 03:22 PM
So if the new ipods do the same thing as the current ipods (play music, pictures, movies) just in a different form factor, why would you need OSX on them? What does adding OSX bring?

agreed. iPods can do a lot already, i'm only really looking for a bigger screen, cover flow, and multi-touch....

where does OSX come in?

emotion
Jul 11, 2007, 03:26 PM
agreed. iPods can do a lot already, i'm only really looking for a bigger screen, cover flow, and multi-touch....

where does OSX come in?

Multitouch is only on OSX?

I'd be very surprised if they don't have the YouTube support. I'd say to have that you'll need wifi and OSX follows from that.

Also why would apple go to the lengths they have to use OSX on the iphone if that is the only device that they use it on. They've delayed their major OS update for this I'd say they'd want to get the most out of it.

Loge
Jul 11, 2007, 03:28 PM
The widescreen is pretty much a definite requirement of the next iPod as well as increased storage.

It remains to be seen how good the touchscreen interface is at navigating 10000 or so songs. The scroll wheel does this really well, but since the iPhone is only 8GB max, I don't imagine anyone is really using it with that sort of number of songs.

RoboCop001
Jul 11, 2007, 03:34 PM
I like the scroll wheel in the current iPod because I can pause, skip and adjust volume without looking.

That would probably be lost with a touchscreen....

Unless maybe they can do something like this:
One tap makes the music pause. Two finger tap (or maybe a double tap) causes it to skip the song. Sliding your finger adjusts the volume.

Hmm... maybe it's not that practical. But if they throw in an ambient light sensor (which also adjusts the screen brightness), it would know when it's in your pocket because of the darkness. And when it knows it's in your pocket, then those controls become available so you can do them anywhere on the screen.

Of course it could get tight in a pocket, so tapping may not be possible. But maybe they could be simple gestures instead.

Again, it would know when it's in your pocket. And if it has an accelerometer in it, it can know which way is "down" regardless of what orientation it's at inside your pocket. Though I'd imagine it's always going to be with the earphone jack pointing up.

ANYway.... so... simple gestures... sliding a finger changes volume, doing a circular motion can skip a song. Sliding two fingers pauses the song.

And... going back to the "it knows which way is down" thing, it can therefore determine if it's a clockwise or counter-clockwise motion you're making. So you can even skip backwards.

Or maybe the circular motion can be used to change volume, like the click wheel. And the sides of the screen closest to the edge of the iPod are reserved for "back" and "forward" and "pause" commands.

Maybe it's too complicated, but it's an idea! :)

motulist
Jul 11, 2007, 03:37 PM
No way, no how. It is not gonna have wifi. There is no reason for it to have wifi. It will not run the web, email or any other net utilities. If you want a device that does all that, it already exists, it's called the iPhone.

The next iPod will have full sized wide screen, multi touch interface, have coverflow, maybe run games, etc. The iPod moniker is always going to be for a media entertainment-only device, not an internet device. End of story.

emotion
Jul 11, 2007, 03:41 PM
No way, no how. It is not gonna have wifi. There is no reason for it to have wifi. It will not run the web, email or any other net utilities. If you want a device that does all that, it already exists, it's called the iPhone.

The next iPod will have full sized wide screen, multi touch interface, have coverflow, maybe run games, etc. The iPod moniker is always going to be for a media entertainment-only device, not an internet device. End of story.

How can you be so certain? Know something we don't?

Personally I'm not sure, either way.

vandlism
Jul 11, 2007, 03:43 PM

soooo....then why does the zune have wifi? its certainly not an internet communicator. bonjour music sharing, itunes, airtunes, airport express, future ipod hi-fi. music store, youtube - these are just a few reasons why the ipod COULD have wi-fi. none of these are internet communication uses.

Lara F
Jul 11, 2007, 03:45 PM
oh and as for cannibalization, if anything is cannibalizing anything, it's the iphone on ipod sales.

ITA. I have a 10Gb 3G iPod, and am definitely in the market for something new. I'd love more storage and video capability. But no way am I picking up a stopgap (well, if it can still be called that after a year) :rolleyes: :p 5.5G version after seeing the iPhone. I've been willing to wait ever since the MWSF keynote came out. And if Apple's hoping I'll get an iPhone in the meantime, that's not going to happen either - not when I'm with Verizon and needing more than 8Gb space. The longer the 6G takes, the longer I'm just holding on to my money.

Now, I agree a few months with the iPhone only is reasonable - those who are in a position to get it and impatient for the features will do so then. But not having the iPod line refreshed by late fall would be extremely short sighted of Apple I think (and I doubt will happen).

I'm also crossing fingers it has Wifi/Safari and will be annoyed if they leave it out for the sake of the iPhone (since it's not even an option for me)...but realistically I know I'd get it regardless. Grudgingly maybe but still. ;)

Lara F
Jul 11, 2007, 03:50 PM

An iPhone that many people just aren't in a position to get because of contract ties or other valid reasons for preferring another company (in my case I need to be able to call Canada without extra long distance fees). How fair is that? It's not like the extra features/power in a MBP that's at least more open (in comparison) to everyone.

peharri
Jul 11, 2007, 03:54 PM
Look for the word Infineon in the disection of the hardware at the end of the review.

People are reading way too much into this.

The chip involved is one component (I believe it concentrates on digital signal processing) of a much larger device, and it's designed to be generic. It has W-CDMA support, but only because it's a generalized device, and in order to work it needs to be provided with a full 5MHz W-CDMA input signal to actually process.

If the iPhone supports, on a hardware level, UMTS, then it needs much more than one component to do that. The radio has to be ready. There's no evidence that the radio actually is able to process anything other than the usual 200kHz GSM signals.

This is the equivalent of finding a general purpose chip on an Apple motherboard that supports PS/2 keyboards and mice (there probably is one, Apple's hardware these days uses very standard parts), and assuming that this means the next version of Mac OS X will "enable" PS/2 input device support. Well, how are you going to plug them in? ;-)

This is just a standard, off-the-shelf, component and it supports more functionality than it needs to. It's safe to bet that the iPhone, in its revision 1 form, will be EDGE forever. No UMTS support will ever come down in the form of a software update.

FWIW, AT&T has just bought a metric crapload of AWS spectrum, specifically for UMTS. The Rev. 1 iPhone doesn't support those frequencies. When a UMTS iPhone comes out, you can bet AT&T will want it to be able to use AWS.

(And another thing, this chip supports W-CDMA but apparently there's no support for HSDPA. W-CDMA, in its plain, boring, form, isn't that much faster than EDGE. EDGE's theoretical max is 236.8kbps, vs "plain" W-CDMA's 384kbps. You need the HSDPA improvements to start getting real bandwidth and tolerable latency out of UMTS.)

motulist
Jul 11, 2007, 03:57 PM
How can you be so certain? Know something we don't?

Personally I'm not sure, either way.

I'm certain because there's no reason for an iPod to run the net. If they do put wifi in, it won't be to run the net. "iPod" as a brand means something very specific, it's known as the coolest music player ever, and Apple has poured an ENORMOUS amount of marketing money into making it mean that. They are not going to do anything to dilute that brand message. Why do you think the iPhone is called the iPhone and not the iPod Phone like they did on the iPod Photo and the iPod with Video? "iPod" as a brand has always meant the ultimate portable music device. iPhone is now being developed to mean the ultimate all-around portable wireless device. If Apple is going to come out with a device that has any real internet abilities, it's not gonna be in their iPod device category, it's gonna be more along the lines of an iPhone nano device which would be an additional device separate from and alongside the iPod devices.

It's just marketing 101, and Apple is the king of marketing. There's just no way they're gonna dilute the iPod brand. Especially not when they are on the verge of creating a whole new category of devices that they can be king of which would be in addition to maintaining their music player dominance.

Bottom line: if a portable apple device has any real internet capabilities it will get branded as some sort of iPhone and will be produced in addition to their other iPod devices that are produced at the same time. And the two devices in each separated category will never overlap much.

sishaw
Jul 11, 2007, 04:00 PM

This is what it says:

"The IC in the lower-left is purported to be a Multimedia Engine by Infineon by several sources. However, the markings on this device do not match up with any Infineon devices as far as we could tell. This particular part is a jack-of-all trades that can decode/encode audio formats, decode H.264 video, perform EDGE modem capabilities, and interface with Bluetooth, FM radio, and other systems, as well as drive the camera and the high-resolution display. (Edited for clarity.)"

This statement in no way suggests a 3G capability, although, interestingly, it does say "EDGE modem capabilities." Maybe that capability will be made available at some point via software update?

QCassidy352
Jul 11, 2007, 04:08 PM
I disagree.

I've wanted the "iPhone without the phone" since Steve spoke of the three devices. I was disappointed that the cool ones were brought low by the most obnoxious technology developed in the past quarter-century. Aside from the annoyance that I would be stuck with AT&T, I simply do not like possessing a cell phone. When "they" invent the technology that allows others to call me only when I want to hear from them (or when it isn't dangerous to talk), I might like it. But until that day comes, cell phones are more trouble than they are worth)

Actually, some cell phone makers are now including a feature that allows people to only reach you when you want to be reached. They call it an "off button." ;-)

whatever
Jul 11, 2007, 04:15 PM
It does make some sense to have the new ipod come out in August. If you read the Buyer's Guide you see that the last two ipods (5G and 5.5G) came out 11 months apart on the same day. (October 12 and September 12) If Apple stuck to the average then the Ipod would come out on August 12. This isn't likely but I sure as hell hope that it happens.

My 6G Ipod
Widescreen with touch capabilities
80GB (low end) 120 GB (High end)
wifi
Optional Camera (for more money)
OSX
Itunes store
You Tube
Radio
Voice Recording
Speaker Built in (Better than the iPhone's speaker)

The iTunes store will never be available in a mobile device (iPod or iPhone) mainly because of support issues. Imagine if you will someone sitting in a Starbucks and they hear a Beach Boys song (don't ask why I picked them) which reminds them of their lost youth. They connect into the iTunes Store and download the album. They finish their coffe and and realize that they're late for a meeting, so they rush out, breaking their download connection. Thus forcing them contact support....

Now do you see why this feature will never be available. On the Apple TV someday, but never on an iPod or iPhone.

emotion
Jul 11, 2007, 04:30 PM
This is what it says:

"The IC in the lower-left is purported to be a Multimedia Engine by Infineon by several sources. However, the markings on this device do not match up with any Infineon devices as far as we could tell. This particular part is a jack-of-all trades that can decode/encode audio formats, decode H.264 video, perform EDGE modem capabilities, and interface with Bluetooth, FM radio, and other systems, as well as drive the camera and the high-resolution display. (Edited for clarity.)"

This statement in no way suggests a 3G capability, although, interestingly, it does say "EDGE modem capabilities." Maybe that capability will be made available at some point via software update?

"Edited for clarity" - I read the pre-editted version that mentioned 3G. Please see the other iPhone threads as to why it's impossible for Apple to succeed in the European market with a non-3G phone. However this is not the place for this discussion

emotion
Jul 11, 2007, 04:32 PM
I'm certain because there's no reason for an iPod to run the net. If they do put wifi in, it won't be to run the net. "iPod" as a brand means something very specific, it's known as the coolest music player ever, and Apple has poured an ENORMOUS amount of marketing money into making it mean that. They are not going to do anything to dilute that brand message. Why do you think the iPhone is called the iPhone and not the iPod Phone like they did on the iPod Photo and the iPod with Video? "iPod" as a brand has always meant the ultimate portable music device. iPhone is now being developed to mean the ultimate all-around portable wireless device. If Apple is going to come out with a device that has any real internet abilities, it's not gonna be in their iPod device category, it's gonna be more along the lines of an iPhone nano device which would be an additional device separate from and alongside the iPod devices.

It's just marketing 101, and Apple is the king of marketing. There's just no way they're gonna dilute the iPod brand. Especially not when they are on the verge of creating a whole new category of devices that they can be king of which would be in addition to maintaining their music player dominance.

Bottom line: if a portable apple device has any real internet capabilities it will get branded as some sort of iPhone and will be produced in addition to their other iPod devices that are produced at the same time. And the two devices in each separated category will never overlap much.

The walkman was the "coolest music ever" until 5 years ago.

Walkman's these days are phones, with 3G, wifi, hires cameras etc

The iPod brand is there for Apple to make money off. That's the only purity in it.

emotion
Jul 11, 2007, 04:35 PM
People are reading way too much into this.

The chip involved is one component (I believe it concentrates on digital signal processing) of a much larger device, and it's designed to be generic. It has W-CDMA support, but only because it's a generalized device, and in order to work it needs to be provided with a full 5MHz W-CDMA input signal to actually process.

If the iPhone supports, on a hardware level, UMTS, then it needs much more than one component to do that. The radio has to be ready. There's no evidence that the radio actually is able to process anything other than the usual 200kHz GSM signals.

This is the equivalent of finding a general purpose chip on an Apple motherboard that supports PS/2 keyboards and mice (there probably is one, Apple's hardware these days uses very standard parts), and assuming that this means the next version of Mac OS X will "enable" PS/2 input device support. Well, how are you going to plug them in? ;-)

This is just a standard, off-the-shelf, component and it supports more functionality than it needs to. It's safe to bet that the iPhone, in its revision 1 form, will be EDGE forever. No UMTS support will ever come down in the form of a software update.

FWIW, AT&T has just bought a metric crapload of AWS spectrum, specifically for UMTS. The Rev. 1 iPhone doesn't support those frequencies. When a UMTS iPhone comes out, you can bet AT&T will want it to be able to use AWS.

(And another thing, this chip supports W-CDMA but apparently there's no support for HSDPA. W-CDMA, in its plain, boring, form, isn't that much faster than EDGE. EDGE's theoretical max is 236.8kbps, vs "plain" W-CDMA's 384kbps. You need the HSDPA improvements to start getting real bandwidth and tolerable latency out of UMTS.)

Agreed on all points. I've been harping on about a lot of those points a lot on here recently. As I say this thread is an ipod thread though.

MonkeyClaw
Jul 11, 2007, 04:36 PM
I like the scroll wheel in the current iPod because I can pause, skip and adjust volume without looking.

That would probably be lost with a touchscreen....

Unless maybe they can do something like this:
One tap makes the music pause. Two finger tap (or maybe a double tap) causes it to skip the song. Sliding your finger adjusts the volume.

Hmm... maybe it's not that practical. But if they throw in an ambient light sensor (which also adjusts the screen brightness), it would know when it's in your pocket because of the darkness. And when it knows it's in your pocket, then those controls become available so you can do them anywhere on the screen.

Of course it could get tight in a pocket, so tapping may not be possible. But maybe they could be simple gestures instead.

Again, it would know when it's in your pocket. And if it has an accelerometer in it, it can know which way is "down" regardless of what orientation it's at inside your pocket. Though I'd imagine it's always going to be with the earphone jack pointing up.

ANYway.... so... simple gestures... sliding a finger changes volume, doing a circular motion can skip a song. Sliding two fingers pauses the song.

And... going back to the "it knows which way is down" thing, it can therefore determine if it's a clockwise or counter-clockwise motion you're making. So you can even skip backwards.

Or maybe the circular motion can be used to change volume, like the click wheel. And the sides of the screen closest to the edge of the iPod are reserved for "back" and "forward" and "pause" commands.

Maybe it's too complicated, but it's an idea! :)

I love this idea!

lord patton
Jul 11, 2007, 04:39 PM
Imagine if you will someone sitting in a Starbucks and they hear a Beach Boys song (don't ask why I picked them) which reminds them of their lost youth. They connect into the iTunes Store and download the album. They finish their coffe and and realize that they're late for a meeting, so they rush out, breaking their download connection. Thus forcing them contact support....

How does that differ from you home network going down in the middle of a download? That happens all the time, and it doesn't require contacting support... you just finish downloading later.

Companies make money from impulse buyers... lots of it. iTS will come to iPhone, and any WiFi iPod, should one come to exist.

vandlism
Jul 11, 2007, 04:42 PM
They finish their coffe and and realize that they're late for a meeting, so they rush out, breaking their download connection. Thus forcing them contact support.....

I take it you have never closed a MacBook or lost power during a download. Handy little "Check for Purchases" button in iTunes. It sets things right.

mandoman
Jul 11, 2007, 04:43 PM
Widescreen/Iphone form factor - this brings economics
of scale if parts can be shared between ipod and iphone
= lower cost to produce.

Coverflow, games, ical definate.

Maybe a camera, probably not though

No wifi this iteration! Why? NOT because it would cannibalize
iphone sales (two different markets), but because Apple
likes to trickle out features so Apple Fanbois buy a new ipod
every year. Expect a WiFi ipod in late 2008.

October release

Gurnatronic
Jul 11, 2007, 04:47 PM
Can you please just add one feature of the iPhone to iTunes please .... You know when in coverflow on the iPhone an select an album an it kinda flips over and you can select the song from the list there... add it to iTunes in full screen coverflow mode please, even if i have to use the (increasingly antiquated)

RoboCop001
Jul 11, 2007, 05:15 PM
I love this idea!

Thanks! I figure the last part would probably be most practical and best for transitioning from scroll wheel to touchscreen.

Just a refinement...
Instead of the ambient light sensor to detect if it's in a pocket or not, I guess it should be a proximity sensor? Maybe that would be better. Because you never know when you'll have your iPod out of your pocket, and it's pitch black outside, or in the room.

Anyway... since it could have an accelerometer in it to detect "which way is down", therefore no matter what orientation it is in your pocket, the "left" side of the iPod will always be "skip backwards" and the "right" side of the iPod will always be "skip forwards". And anywhere else on the screen, when you do a circular motion it makes the volume go up and down. So when you tap (or slide your finger in a short motion if it's a tight-fit in the pocket) on, say, the "right" side of the iPod, it goes to the next song.

Or maybe there could be an option to have fixed locations be "skip forward" and "skip backward". Oh, and "play/pause" can be at the bottom (maybe also at the top?). So yeah... just tap, or do a really short slide motion, and it does one of those commands depending what edge of the screen you're touching.

So that's the "virtual sides" idea.

The "fixed commands mode" could be this way.... there's going to be a headphone jack on it right? That's the top of the iPod. So, just feel where the headphone jack is, and the left side of the screen in relation to the jack (that being the top of the iPod) is "skip backwards", and so forth.

And that's the "true sides" idea.

Of course, when you're holding the iPod in your hand, these commands wouldn't be active. You'd just use the on-screen ones like they have on iPhone.

It could work! I should patent this or something. First Canadian iPod patent! Then Apple will buy it from me and I'll make trillions.

ccrandall77
Jul 11, 2007, 05:23 PM
As a follow on to my previous comment about the likelihood that a new iPod would coincide with the end of the back to school sale, it seems to me that last year the Paris Expo was around 9/12 which was when the last refresh occurred. My money is on both new iPods and Leopard at the Paris Expo... not necessarily available that day, but probably the iPods would be immediately available and they'll announce the day in Oct that Leopard will be available.

Digitaljim
Jul 11, 2007, 05:26 PM
I sure hope they go all the way to one third HD resolution instead of iPhone res. In any event I will definately be getting the one with the largest capacity as I now have almost 2TB of iPod compatible files sitting on four 500GB USB drives with more than 2TB of original EyeTV recordings still to be ripped down to another TB or so..

I bet you'd be pissed off if the new iPod only supported wmv or xvid or something ;)

age234
Jul 11, 2007, 05:37 PM
exactly - the tactile feel is very important in an iPod - While Apple can probably get away with all touch screen on something like the iPhone I think the novelty will wear off very quickly on a music/video player like the iPod

That is an interesting point. If Apple intends for the iPod to remain a media player only, the only advantage to going the iPhone way is the large screen for watching videos.

iPhone needs the fullscreen design because of all the different UI possibilities. But try skipping to the next song on an iPhone while driving, I don't think you can do it without looking. You can with an iPod.

Maybe, then, a touchsceen iPod would be the start of a new line of premium iPods geared towards video, a "Pod Pro", if you will. There is still a place for the clickwheel, which works great because you don't need to look at it to do basic functions.

Maybe the "Pod Pro" would be the "iPhone without the phone", then, which would join as a new line aside iPod, Nano, and Shuffle, and include wifi and non-phone communication functions.

dontwalkhand
Jul 11, 2007, 06:18 PM
It would be cool to have the ipod be a PDA/portable web browser type device as well, I wouldn't mind it :) if it doesn't, I would still buy it, as hopefully it would be a true video iPod.

PURCELL429
Jul 11, 2007, 06:38 PM

First off, I loved the 3G ipods interface...sadly i broke the screen on it (other than that, it still works (anyone know where to get a cheap screen from?) so i "upgraded" to a 5G...the new style of buttons save space for the screen...but 3 disadvantages:

1) accidental button pushes while in my pocket! I know there is a lock button...but still...nothing but your fingers would work the buttons

2)more responsive buttons...only the slightest tap was necessary...my new one, i find i have to push buttons more than once on occasion...plus the scroll wheel is much less sensitive...i find myself scrolling too far or not far enough a lot of the time, even after months of use...as for the not being able to operate it with gloves on...you cant scroll through menus or change the volume with the new one either if your wearing gloves..

3)red backlighting! looked so cool...I could use it in the dark!

so now that im done with that rant....

I was holding on to my 3g for so long because i have been waiting for the touchscreen ipods for years now (unrealistically i realize...) because the small screen isnt that conducive to watching video...

But it seems to me that the new ipod will look something like this, after reading this thread:

-Touchscreen (same screen and display as iphone to cut costs)
-ghost wheel (i saw a fake one a year ago on some website)...a semi transparent scroll wheel on one side of the ipod that changes orientation with the ipod that disappears when you take your hand off the screen.
-NO WIFI (at least no safari) if you have safari and mail...there is no point to have an iphone...besides, it would kill battery life and cut down on space to put a HD in
-Bluetooth? Headphones, car accessories, remote, ect.
-No flash memory (still too expensive and small capacity) They wouldnt dare release ipods with storage capacities of 8, 16, and 32 gigs (since 32 is the biggest ssd drives avaliable (and costs something like $500)

Apple doesnt want to eat sales of the iphone...so you get a fullscreen videoplayer/music player w/touchscreen and large capacity. Who would buy a $600 8gig iphone when you could buy the same thing but 80gigs for $399 minus the phone? Morons?

When will it come out? Id guess by Christmas hopefully...(crossing fingers)

Mugs
Jul 11, 2007, 07:05 PM
How cool would it be if the home screen was like the new front row in leopard!!!! so you flick to the next thing n they're all in a circle!!! i wud soooooo buy that!! bt i'll buy woteva comes out cus my ipod is like sooooooo nearly dead! hopes its in august as well!

broncopde
Jul 11, 2007, 07:34 PM
Thanks! I figure the last part would probably be most practical and best for transitioning from scroll wheel to touchscreen.

Just a refinement...
Instead of the ambient light sensor to detect if it's in a pocket or not, I guess it should be a proximity sensor? Maybe that would be better. Because you never know when you'll have your iPod out of your pocket, and it's pitch black outside, or in the room.

Anyway... since it could have an accelerometer in it to detect "which way is down", therefore no matter what orientation it is in your pocket, the "left" side of the iPod will always be "skip backwards" and the "right" side of the iPod will always be "skip forwards". And anywhere else on the screen, when you do a circular motion it makes the volume go up and down. So when you tap (or slide your finger in a short motion if it's a tight-fit in the pocket) on, say, the "right" side of the iPod, it goes to the next song.

Or maybe there could be an option to have fixed locations be "skip forward" and "skip backward". Oh, and "play/pause" can be at the bottom (maybe also at the top?). So yeah... just tap, or do a really short slide motion, and it does one of those commands depending what edge of the screen you're touching.

So that's the "virtual sides" idea.

The "fixed commands mode" could be this way.... there's going to be a headphone jack on it right? That's the top of the iPod. So, just feel where the headphone jack is, and the left side of the screen in relation to the jack (that being the top of the iPod) is "skip backwards", and so forth.

And that's the "true sides" idea.

Of course, when you're holding the iPod in your hand, these commands wouldn't be active. You'd just use the on-screen ones like they have on iPhone.

It could work! I should patent this or something. First Canadian iPod patent! Then Apple will buy it from me and I'll make trillions.

Going along with the iPod having OSX, these features could be activated through hot corners. I'm thinking that'd be good for apple to do in reaching out to potential switchers from windows: the more osx features apple can work into the ipod, the better for us and apple's marketshare.

barcodebawtv
Jul 11, 2007, 08:44 PM
How cool would it be if the home screen was like the new front row in leopard!!!! so you flick to the next thing n they're all in a circle!!! i wud soooooo buy that!! bt i'll buy woteva comes out cus my ipod is like sooooooo nearly dead! hopes its in august as well!

Now that would flippin' rule! That would be a very attractive selling point in my eyes.

PygmySurfer
Jul 11, 2007, 08:52 PM

hmmmmm

I think that'd be perfect. Ship it with a dock, which you can use to charge it and hook it up to your TV and Home Theatre. It could actually replace the current Apple TV product.

twoodcc
Jul 11, 2007, 09:13 PM
Well I sure hope that this is true. Well see

cmcconkey
Jul 11, 2007, 10:36 PM

True the iPhone is out there, but not everyone wants to get the iPhone. There are many people out there that will not ever get the iPhone because of one reason or another, those are the people that are wanting a REAL 6G iPod with all the nice toys that the iPhone has. I will not ever have an iPhone until they get onto a real network (AT&T blows around here) and get some good storage (greater than 60gb). To me the iPhone should be the all around mobility tech device, but it can't be as long as it has small drives and only one one network. This is all my $.02 so I am sure that I will be flamed a little by the iPhone lovers but there will be more out there to agree that the next iPod has to have WIFI to be worth anything in the new world of mobile medai players. If Apple doesn't do it now then they will miss out on the next logical move for media players.

Christopher

JGowan
Jul 11, 2007, 10:39 PM
In order to keep the thin “nano” form, solid state memory would be used and also increase economies of scale, driving solid-state memory costs down and allowing capacity expansion at the same price point.I hear what you're saying but I believe that's all down the road in a couple of years when 80GB of solid state will cost significantly lower prices. I just don't think Apple will release a touchscreen iPod with small capacity. The current 80GB ipod that has a standard HD(s) is pretty dang thin, surely thin enough to put into this supposed 6G iPod.

I imagine, we'll see a bigger drive than ever before (120GB) and it'll probably cost $599 for the high end and $499 for a lower model (perhaps 80GB). They'll market it as something slightly different like "iPod AV", while continuing to sell the current form (5.5 Generation). Probably lower the price slightly and bump up capacity on the low one ($199/40GB and $249/80GB). We'll probably see a slight redesign to sweeten the deal and perhaps some sort of software addition or application to help move the masses to buy.

They won't discontinue the click wheel... to many people, the WHEEL IPOD is what the iPod is and they no that some people are just against the touchscreen. I think it will be a long while before they stop selling an iPod with a wheel.

SactoGuy18
Jul 11, 2007, 10:45 PM
Folks,

I think you're all expecting too much from the replacement for the 5.5G video iPod.

The new video iPod will most likely offer these features:

1) Full-screen 8:5 aspect ratio display, but the player's physical size will be exactly the same as the 5.5G 80 GB iPod to maintain compatibility with current iPod docks.

2) Touchscreen functionality with either Multi-Touch operation or a touchscreen representation of the classic Click Wheel functionality.

3) 60 or 100 GB hard drive storage.

4) NO WiFi or Internet surfing capability. This is, after all, a media player, not a device to access the Internet.

JesterJJZ
Jul 11, 2007, 10:52 PM
Siliconaddict: "About fracking time. My 60GB iPod Photo is down to 2GB of free space. I've been deleting stuff I know I will never listen to...How the hell did Vanilla Ice get on my iPod?!?!"

He he he, I know the feeling

I'm still on my first gen 10gig...and it's dying. :(

rwdebes
Jul 11, 2007, 11:04 PM
Folks,

I think you're all expecting too much from the replacement for the 5.5G video iPod.

1) Full-screen 8:5 aspect ratio display, but the player's physical size will be exactly the same as the 5.5G 80 GB iPod to maintain compatibility with current iPod docks.

2) Touchscreen functionality with either Multi-Touch operation or a touchscreen representation of the classic Click Wheel functionality.

4) NO WiFi or Internet surfing capability. This is, after all, a media player, not a device to access the Internet.\

i think will have the same screen size and specs as the iphone (3.5")
will have coverflow and most feature the iphone have for the ipod.
wil be an iphone with no internet and no phone. ( maybe internet , ipod need to become more than a music player.. if u can get into internet , sales will explode.

I'm still on my first gen 10gig...and it's dying. :(

wow the first gen ? i sold my 5gb.. when u decide to sell let me know.
i want my first gen back.

lazyrighteye
Jul 11, 2007, 11:11 PM
Sorry, did't read a single post - which is to say, this has surely been mentioned: but doesn't the Mac + free iPod thing expire in Sept?
Meaning, I can't see Apple announcing a new iPod when they are currently trying to clear inventory. Can I?

bnsmmr
Jul 12, 2007, 12:53 AM
A few arguments for sticking WiFi/Safari in the next iPod:

At WWDC, Jobs talked about Apple's serious interest in growing Safari marketshare and mindshare. I believe the chart they showed indicated that they envisioned Safari taking up to 20% of the browser market. If you accept this as a near-term strategic priority and goal for Apple, Safari on iPod seems like an obvious and giant next step toward that goal. Adding WiFi/Safari on every high-end ipod sold through this year's holiday season would goose Safari's numbers by year-end.

An iPod-fed rising tide of Safari users would benefit the entire Mac/iPhone platform, because as Safari marketshare grows, more of the web will be cajoled into compatibility or even mobile-Safari-directed content.

- - - - -

I don't see any significant issues of cannibalization or competition between the iPhone and iPod, even if they were identical in all specs except for the phone piece. The phone component (not the internet/WiFi stuff) is the important differentiator, which is why they have keyed-in on "phone" in the name. People who want it all in one device will go iPhone; if the Apple/ATT phone implementation doesn't meet your telephony needs, then the iPod is for you. My guess is that most customers would fall pretty strongly on one side of this fence or the other, so neither product would be stealing users from the other.

- - - - - -

Jobs comments (maybe at the D conference?) regarding iPhone direct access to the iTunes store seem to have shifted toward the coy, "one never knows" kind of answers. I bet this is coming and this is another direct, revenue-generating reason to build WiFi into the next gen iPod.

- - - - - - -

WiFi is in the PlayStation and a growing number of other portable devices. Apple needs to stay ahead. And since it's in the iPhone, it's already developed...

dontwalkhand
Jul 12, 2007, 01:00 AM
Folks,

4) NO WiFi or Internet surfing capability. This is, after all, a media player, not a device to access the Internet.

I agree with all of this except #4. Look at the PSP, PS3, and Wii its a gaming device, not a device to access the internet...yet it still has a browser. I would love a browser in my iPod, and for people against it, just turn off Wifi and don't use it.

Marx55
Jul 12, 2007, 01:13 AM
I only hope one thing, because then and only then we will buy thousands of new iPods for our University:

MAKE THE NEW IPOD A FULL HANDHELD COMPUTER BASED ON OS X.

When I say a full cmputer, I mean it. No restrictions for which applications can we run on it. No restrictions to use it for Keynote or PowerPoint presentations, as now can be used any Mac.

WE DO NOT WANT TO USE IT AS A MUSIC PLAYER. WE WANT TO USE IT AS A HANDHELD COMPUTER. LIKE THE LAST GENERATION PDAs OR SMARTPHONES (but withot phone, that is fine for us).

Is Apple listening?

pjarvi
Jul 12, 2007, 01:46 AM
I need an iPod with 120GB storage. My collection is already at 81GB which makes the 80GB too small to be worthwhile. Otherwise, I'm going to have to buy 3 iPods, one each for movies, TV Shows, and music/podcasts/audiobooks.

I'm holding off until the end of August regardless.

I could care less about having a touch screen. I prefer the raised buttons of the Shuffle, as it is. More storage would be best.

jouster
Jul 12, 2007, 05:51 AM
...Secondly, I was a little surprised Apple agreed to a 5 year exclusive contract with at&t. Releasing a WiFi iPod would be a way around this.....

I would be very surprised if this would be permitted under the terms of the AT&T agreement. It's way too obvious for either party not to have thought of it.

rob@robburns.co
Jul 12, 2007, 07:05 AM

Don't worry, Apple will do a software update so that you can plugin your PS/2 device.

rob@robburns.co
Jul 12, 2007, 07:30 AM
I don't see any significant issues of cannibalization or competition between the iPhone and iPod, even if they were identical in all specs except for the phone piece. The phone component (not the internet/WiFi stuff) is the important differentiator, which is why they have keyed-in on "phone" in the name. People who want it all in one device will go iPhone; if the Apple/ATT phone implementation doesn't meet your telephony needs, then the iPod is for you. My guess is that most customers would fall pretty strongly on one side of this fence or the other, so neither product would be stealing users from the other.

I'm not sure where the fears of cannibalization come from. At the iPhone announcement, Jobs compared the portable media player market to the cellular phone market. It was 100s times larger. So hurting phone sales by providing a full-featured iPod shouldn't be that great of a concern.

As for the argument others have made that this is a media device and not an internet device: well you can get media from the internet.

tarjan
Jul 12, 2007, 07:45 AM
The only reason for it to have osx is for it to have networking support. Anything else would probably be a waste of resources, memory and power.

My bet is networking will be for it to be a hard drive storage system used with your iphone. Then you can bring your music and video library with you, while keeping the iphone nice and slim.

johnmcboston
Jul 12, 2007, 08:05 AM

We have a video touch screen movie watching device. It's called an iphone.

I don't want to have to take my music ipod out of my pocket to look at controls every time I want to change volume or skip a song. i can do this with a click wheel. if we went all iphone-like touch-screen, it would make using the player a nightmare...

I'm not sure people who have video ipods used them for video as much as music...

cmcconkey
Jul 12, 2007, 08:34 AM

I don't want to have to take my music ipod out of my pocket to look at controls every time I want to change volume or skip a song. i can do this with a click wheel. if we went all iphone-like touch-screen, it would make using the player a nightmare...

I'm not sure people who have video ipods used them for video as much as music...

I don't use mine much for video because the screen is so dang small. I could see me watching a lot more video if I had a nice wide screen version of the iPod. When I travel I would like to have something to do other than listen to music, it is nice to have music but to have the ability to watch a movie or catch up on a tv show while I am in a plane (and not have to get out my PB) would be so very nice.

Christopher

emotion
Jul 12, 2007, 08:40 AM
Flawed article but it makes a few interesting points Re: iPods

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/12/kewney_iphone_magic/

From the article:

"And the small, incremental step was not the phone. That's typical Steve Jobs magic - "Watch my fingers carefully!" says the stage magician. What he's really doing is something entirely different...he's re-designing the iPod user interface.
If Apple had announced that it was abandoning the spin-wheel for the iPod, and had just launched iNew iPod there's a real chance it would have gone down like New Coke did. People understand the iPod. They can scroll through their songs with their hands in their pockets, or while running or in the dark. Why change?"

peharri
Jul 12, 2007, 08:41 AM
The only reason for it to have osx is for it to have networking support. Anything else would probably be a waste of resources, memory and power.

My bet is networking will be for it to be a hard drive storage system used with your iphone. Then you can bring your music and video library with you, while keeping the iphone nice and slim.

Standardizing on one platform helps with compatibility and maintainability, and can probably help cut costs enough to nullify the impact of slightly more expensive hardware.

Remember, that Quicktime framework that's required for iTunes to play a downloaded movie needs porting to any device the same movie needs to be played upon. Right now, that's Windows, recent iPods, and OS X. Eliminate custom-OS iPods from that collection, and you only have two platforms you need to support.

The expensive hardware is arguably necessary anyway, anything incapable of running NEXTSTEP (for that is what OS X is, when it comes down to it) is probably not capable of showing a movie encoded using a modern codec at a reasonable resolution in real time. "Mac" OS X's apparent high hardware requirements are more to do with Quartz than anything particularly taxing at lower levels.

peharri
Jul 12, 2007, 08:47 AM

Good point. I wonder, actually, given that the iPhone is supposed to be "the best iPod evah!(tm - SJ)" how they've dealt with that very issue on the phone.

One of my reasons for feeling that iPhone is not a panacea is the whole "Have to look at it to operate it" aspect. People are raving about how easy and intuitive the device is, but I'm not getting an idea of how useful it is in contexts where you can't really/don't want to look at the thing. Given it's a phone and a music player, and those, actually, are probably the primary functions people wanted out of an iPhone before Jobs demonstrated iSafari, I'd be curious to know how well it works.

(Strikes me that there might be a space for voice control here, if Apple ever gets around to supporting that. Touch the function button on your BT headset and say "Next", "Previous", "Call Home", etc. Not as responsive as direct touch, but the avoidance of fumbling around in your pocket may compensate for that.)

cmcconkey
Jul 12, 2007, 08:57 AM
People are raving about how easy and intuitive the device is, but I'm not getting an idea of how useful it is in contexts where you can't really/don't want to look at the thing. Given it's a phone and a music player, and those, actually, are probably the primary functions people wanted out of an iPhone before Jobs demonstrated iSafari, I'd be curious to know how well it works.

(Strikes me that there might be a space for voice control here, if Apple ever gets around to supporting that. Touch the function button on your BT headset and say "Next", "Previous", "Call Home", etc. Not as responsive as direct touch, but the avoidance of fumbling around in your pocket may compensate for that.)

There could be a click wheel put onto the other side, in my opinion not a good idea. Or set up a "gesture" that would mimic the click wheel.

Christopher

rob@robburns.co
Jul 12, 2007, 09:07 AM
Standardizing on one platform helps with compatibility and maintainability, and can probably help cut costs enough to nullify the impact of slightly more expensive hardware.

Right now, that's Windows, recent iPods, and OS X. Eliminate custom-OS iPods from that collection, and you only have two platforms you need to support.

Certainly one platform would be good if there were not other concerns. And that is that this platform relies on costly components right now. I think that means the current iPod platform will not go away for a while (and while Apple may bring a phone out on that platform too). After all, the new iPhone platform is not going to come below the $500 + price for a while. With the classic iPod platform Apple can continue to advertise "iPods (and maybe iPhones too) from $99".

The expensive hardware is arguably necessary anyway, anything incapable of running NEXTSTEP (for that is what OS X is, when it comes down to it) is probably not capable of showing a movie encoded using a modern codec at a reasonable resolution in real time. "Mac" OS X's apparent high hardware requirements are more to do with Quartz than anything particularly taxing at lower levels.

I don't imagine Quartz on its own is that much more processor intensive than Display PostScript (from the OpenStep days). In some ways its probably less processor intensive. However, we're asking our computers to do more with CoreImage, CoreVideo, CoreAnimation (coming soon), fluid Multitoch animation, etc. That's where the processing power needs come from.

JohnnyQuest
Jul 12, 2007, 09:20 AM
What I want and what I think I'm gonna get.

Want:
- 3.5 inch wide screen
- Not chrome, metal.
- OS X like iPhone
- Wifi (even though it won't happen)
- Video out
- Built in iTunes Store
- Touchscreen

Realistically:
- 3.5 inch wide screen
- metal
- watered down OS X
- Video Out
- Touchscreen

pocketrockets
Jul 12, 2007, 06:03 PM
About half of you don't understand that the BTS promotion doesn't have to end for Apple to announce new iPods. The new iPods won't qualify for the rebate, yet students and educators will still buy the old one because its free! Exact same thing happened last year.

I predict that the new iPod WILL have OS X and wifi capability because Jobs himself hinted at that. Most devices like PSP, Wii, and even Nintendo DS, etc already have wifi also. Apple has no reason to put that off especially in something as popular as an iPod.

Furthermore, all models will have the same software, etc. It has ALWAYS been that way. As per usual, capacity will be the only determinant in price.

lazyrighteye
Jul 12, 2007, 07:08 PM
I don't use mine much for video because the screen is so dang small. I could see me watching a lot more video if I had a nice wide screen version of the iPod. When I travel I would like to have something to do other than listen to music, it is nice to have music but to have the ability to watch a movie or catch up on a tv show while I am in a plane (and not have to get out my PB) would be so very nice.

Christopher

I just flew on my 1st business trip with my iPhone.
Glorious.

In the airport: emailed some pix I took with the built-in camera, did some txting, fielded a couple of phone calls, entered a few new events in iCal based on the phone calls, snapped a couple more pix, checked the weather in my destination city, kept up-to-geek with macrumors... all while listening to music.
On the plane: more music and then a movie. Then a slide show, just for kicks.

And the best part?
I didn't have to take out my MacBook Pro, once (ok, besides the security check point).

Thank you Apple.

SactoGuy18
Jul 12, 2007, 07:26 PM

Funny you mention that because a recent article posted here on MacRumors talks about an Apple patent for an iPod video with a touchscreen on one side and the classic Click Wheel on the other side.

AppleIntelRock
Jul 12, 2007, 07:41 PM
Funny you mention that because a recent article posted here on MacRumors talks about an Apple patent for an iPod video with a touchscreen on one side and the classic Click Wheel on the other side.
I seriously doubt that. Steve is obsessive about design, and a double-sided iPod would be very... ZuGly™ (Zune/Ugly :p). Personally, I find the iPhone's touch-screen to eclipse the scroll-wheel and I seriously can't imagine TWO different interfaces on who device- sounds clunky and outlandish. I think a simple inline remote could solve this problem, and would be much simpler, less expensive, and much more elegant then a two-headed iPod :eek::eek::eek:

kenaustus
Jul 12, 2007, 08:52 PM
I haven't had time to read the board, but I did note that APple is playing their annual "buy a Mac and get a free iPod" promotion for back to school. That promotion ends around Sep 16th so it seems logical that a new iPod would be announced right after that. The promotion sells a lot of Macs and clears out iPod inventory for the new line . . .

pocketrockets
Jul 12, 2007, 09:53 PM
I haven't had time to read the board, but I did note that APple is playing their annual "buy a Mac and get a free iPod" promotion for back to school. That promotion ends around Sep 16th so it seems logical that a new iPod would be announced right after that. The promotion sells a lot of Macs and clears out iPod inventory for the new line . . .

You're a freaking idiot. Again:

About half of you don't understand that the BTS promotion doesn't have to end for Apple to announce new iPods. The new iPods won't qualify for the rebate, yet students and educators will still buy the old one because its free! Exact same thing happened last year.

cmcconkey
Jul 12, 2007, 10:26 PM
I just flew on my 1st business trip with my iPhone.
Glorious.

In the airport: emailed some pix I took with the built-in camera, did some txting, fielded a couple of phone calls, entered a few new events in iCal based on the phone calls, snapped a couple more pix, checked the weather in my destination city, kept up-to-geek with macrumors... all while listening to music.
On the plane: more music and then a movie. Then a slide show, just for kicks.

And the best part?
I didn't have to take out my MacBook Pro, once (ok, besides the security check point).

Thank you Apple.

I want something like that but with the major drive space and without the annoying AT&T/Cingular part. I am quite happy with my verizon service and my chocolate.

Christopher

Nym
Jul 13, 2007, 07:17 AM
It's funny that some people act as if they knew what Apple is going to do or not...

"There will be no wi-fi"
"There will be no touchscreen"
"There will be no Touchscreen iPods until 2008"

I mean, no one knows if any of these things are going to happen nor when they will arrive, so, it's best to start your posts with "IMO" because that's what it is, unless you're way up in Apple's hierarchy, there's no way that you're opinion is more accurate than the guy posting above or below you.

Having said that... my prediction is that the new iPod will be touchscreen, I say this because, if you follow the logical order of things you'll realize that:

People wanted a Video iPod, they got it, however, the screen is way too small to actually watch a 2 hour movie and it just feels ackward.
Ok, so, Apple needs to make the iPod screen bigger without compromising it's size and form factor. So, my guess is that a touchscreen display will be essential to the 6G iPods, not because "it's cool" or that "it's already in the iPhone", but instead because there's a need to make the screen bigger without changing the iPod size, and Apple already has the multitouch techology so, it's only a small step to implement it in iPods too.

IMO, the new iPod will also have Wi-Fi, however, I don't think it will have a web-browser like the iPhone.
I think that the Wi-Fi in the iPod will be used to make right what "t3h Zune" got wrong.

True Wi-Fi streaming of music from another iPods, imagine that you're on the train (subway, bus, whatever) and you can go and search "shared libraries" from other iPod's around you and listen to the songs (streaming, obviously)!

This would be a killer feature, and, once again, Apple already has the technology to do this, so, it's easy to get it right.

Wi-Fi doesn't necessarily mean "Web Browser and E-Mail", but it opens the doors to YouTube, Wireless Synching, Shared iPod Libraries and a whole lotta stuff we can't even imagine.

BTW - The Front Row 2 interface idea for the iPod and the "touchscreen tapping screen commands" would be perfect :)

peharri
Jul 13, 2007, 08:01 AM
I seriously doubt that. Steve is obsessive about design, and a double-sided iPod would be very... ZuGly™ (Zune/Ugly :p). Personally, I find the iPhone's touch-screen to eclipse the scroll-wheel and I seriously can't imagine TWO different interfaces on who device- sounds clunky and outlandish. I think a simple inline remote could solve this problem, and would be much simpler, less expensive, and much more elegant then a two-headed iPod :eek::eek::eek:

The thing that kills the inline remote (which is otherwise a good idea, for now) (aside from the fact a version needs to be made that works with third party headphones, I don't know about everyone else but I hate those ear bud things Apple gives you with a passion, and even people who like that style have different needs) is the rise of Bluetooth as an increasingly viable audio equipment interface.

Apple probably needs to set some standards so, at the very least, "previous/next"/etc buttons can be incorporated into Bluetooth equipment, not just for headsets, but for, say, car audio system front panels.

tarjan
Jul 13, 2007, 11:00 AM

What did I say?

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/07/12/apple-patents-method-for-iphones-and-ipods-to-chat-wirelessly/

Hard drive storage system for your iphone. Leave it in your bag and use your phone to actually listen to your music. Add in apple tv etc and you walk into your house and can access any of your media from the iphone, or maybe even have it act as a remote control on your other apple products int he house for playing video etc.