PDA

View Full Version : iPod and Digital Photography

bellis1
Jul 21, 2003, 12:17 PM
Not sure if this is a hardware/software question. But does anyone know if there is anyway to transfer files from a Digital Camera, via USB, to an iPod for storage reasons. Those little cards are expensive and I have a huge hard drive in that iPod available. Would be great if you did not want to lug a laptop around on trips. Is it supported or is it possible to update an iPod so it would allow this. Would be very cool.

yzedf
Jul 21, 2003, 12:50 PM
I would say not. Both devices (iPod and camera) need a computer to do the actual work (download / uploading / deleting). The camera does not have a "send" mode, just a "ready to communicate" mode.

I do think it is a very cool idea though! :D

SilentPanda
Jul 21, 2003, 12:58 PM
What kind of memory card do you need? Crucial was selling their 128 MB compact flash cards for $30... I bought one, works wonderfully... dunno how much space you're looking for though... I could take about 250 pictures at high enough resolution to print 8x10s out through iPhoto with no warning... might check places like pricewatch too.

sfplay~
Jul 21, 2003, 04:45 PM
One of the major selling points onf firewire is that unlike USB1.1 and 2.0 firewire is peer to peer (meaning it does not require a computer to mediate beween two devices). So in theory if you had a firewire camera will the ability to transfer files onto a mass-storage device you should be fine.

rainman::|:|
Jul 21, 2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by sfplay~
One of the major selling points onf firewire is that unlike USB1.1 and 2.0 firewire is peer to peer (meaning it does not require a computer to mediate beween two devices). So in theory if you had a firewire camera will the ability to transfer files onto a mass-storage device you should be fine.

in theory perhaps; but i think in practice you'd have a hell of a time getting the iPod to go into disk mode for the camera--

pnw