PDA

View Full Version : iTunes 7.3.1, Quicktime 7.2 Released

glide
Jul 11, 2007, 03:20 PM
Maybe an iphone update inside? Downloading now.

wyatt23
Jul 11, 2007, 03:21 PM
aren't we on 7.3?

hexonxonx
Jul 11, 2007, 03:22 PM
My iTunes says it is the current version: 7.3

glide
Jul 11, 2007, 03:22 PM
aren't we on 7.3?

Sorry. 7.3.1 is out.

WildCowboy
Jul 11, 2007, 03:23 PM
Yep...7.3.1. Along with QuickTime 7.2.

About iTunes 7.3.1 for Mac
With iTunes 7.3, you can now activate iPhone service and sync it with your music, TV shows, movies and more. Also, you can now wirelessly share and enjoy your favorite digital photos from any computer in your home with Apple TV.

iTunes 7.3.1 addresses a minor problem with iTunes 7.3 accessing the iTunes Library.

About QuickTime 7.2 for Mac
QuickTime 7.2 addresses critical security issues and delivers:
- Support for full screen viewing in QuickTime Player
- Updates to the H.264 codec
- Numerous bug fixes

This release is recommended for all QuickTime 7 users.

siurpeeman
running software update gave me an update to quicktime to 7.2 but no itunes 7.3.1. maybe it'll show after the quicktime update.

*edit*
doh, beaten by the cowboy. too quick for me.

appie57
Just installed Quicktime 7.2 and iTunes 7.3.1 through Software Update. Long reboot, all seems well.:)

Oops. beaten by 3 minutes.

MACsimus19
Jul 11, 2007, 03:27 PM
Just installed Quicktime 7.2 and iTunes 7.3.1 through Software Update. Long reboot, all seems well.:)

Ringtones tab when iPhone is sync'd up....anyone...anyone?

Eidorian
Jul 11, 2007, 03:27 PM
- Support for full screen viewing in QuickTime Player*Head explodes*

Wow, I have to try this out.

glide
Jul 11, 2007, 03:30 PM

I downloaded it but don't have an iphone/ipod cable at work. D'oh!

fistful
Jul 11, 2007, 03:32 PM
Niceness! You no longer need QT Pro for full screen. We already knew this would be unlocked in Leopard but it's nice to know Tiger has this feature as well. This has been long overdue.

St. Germain
Jul 11, 2007, 03:35 PM
Nope. And no iPhone update available after the iTunes & QT install reboot.

mkrishnan
Jul 11, 2007, 03:38 PM
*Head explodes*

Wow, I have to try this out.

I know, right? Amazing! :) The headless iMac must be next. :eek: ;) :D

Can anyone who had the iTunes library issue (repeatedly "converting" the library, because of corrupt library files, IIRC), report on resolution of that issue?

Eidorian
Jul 11, 2007, 03:44 PM
I know, right? Amazing! :) The headless iMac must be next. :eek: ;) :DIt works just fine now. Alas, QuikTime FS I knew ye well.

cah87
Jul 11, 2007, 03:53 PM
just updated and synced my iphone. Nothing new as of yet. no ringtones no new features BOOOO

FreeState
Jul 11, 2007, 03:57 PM
If anyone has not updated yet - when you do please watch the install window alerts - I caught the last one that said:

"Installing Apple Mobile Device Support"

??? Dont know what it is

MacRumors
Jul 11, 2007, 04:03 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has released a minor update to its iTunes software. According to Apple, "iTunes 7.3.1 addresses a minor problem with iTunes 7.3 accessing the iTunes Library." The update can be downloaded from Apple's website for Mac (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/itunes731formac.html) or PC (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/itunes731forwindows.html), or via Software Update.

Apple also released Quicktime 7.2, which addresses critical security issues and delivers:
- Support for full screen viewing in QuickTime Player
- Updates to the H.264 codec
- Numerous bug fixes
The update can be downloaded from Apple's website for Mac (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/quicktime72formac.html) or PC (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/quicktime72forwindows.html), or via Software Update. More information regarding the security fixes can be found here (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305947).

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/11/itunes-7-3-1-quicktime-7-2-released/)

Ampidire
Jul 11, 2007, 04:03 PM
If anyone has not updated yet - when you do please watch the install window alerts - I caught the last one that said:

??? Dont know what it is

It's the syncing features of the iPhone, it was introduced in 7.3

opticalserenity
Jul 11, 2007, 04:05 PM

??? Dont know what it is

That has been seen before...not new.

skwert
Jul 11, 2007, 04:06 PM
am i the only one curious as to what "critical security issues" there could be in quicktime?

xfusejc
Full screen without going Pro. At last.

Gizmotoy
Am I reading that right? Full screen support for the non-pro Quicktime player? Finally!

siurpeeman
Jul 11, 2007, 04:08 PM
so has anybody noticed any secret features that were added to the itunes update?

joekix
Jul 11, 2007, 04:15 PM
i just updated and i can't play my .avi files anymore. they crash qt.

Digital Skunk
it has been about time QuickTime got full screen support... i never realized it didn't unless you got the Pro version. For some reason my MBP came with the Pro version installed. When get my new Mac (only God knows when i will) i will be glad to still have full screen support.

mkrishnan
am i the only one curious as to what "critical security issues" there could be in quicktime?

They're all listed here....

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305947

Most of them have to do with methods to make a media file crash quicktime and allow for arbitrary code execution.

nbs2
Jul 11, 2007, 04:17 PM
Niceness! You no longer need QT Pro for full screen.

Shazzam! That was what I primarily used VLC for in the past. Still has it's uses, but it may just go into semi-retirement.

statikcat
Jul 11, 2007, 04:19 PM
*Support for fullscreen

About time. I guess Apple decided they actually wanted people to use their player. :D

Shazzam! That was what I primarily used VLC for in the past. Still has it's uses, but it may just go into semi-retirement.

Same except VLC is still much better at playing DVDs than Apple dvd player.. and some codecs don't run well on Quicktime. VLC is nice and don't have to install any codecs to play xvid, divx, etc.

Telp
Jul 11, 2007, 04:22 PM
So...there is nothing new concerning the iPhone in this update?

bankshot
Jul 11, 2007, 04:25 PM
Numerous bug fixes in QuickTime, eh? I don't suppose this actually fixes the problems I've had exporting certain movies to H.264. With a couple of movies I made, QuickTime always aborted with an error after some time into the export process. It worked if I kept the movie resolution the same as the source, but any time I tried to export to a smaller resolution, it bombed out. Other movies never had any trouble.

I was going to send in a bug report whenever I got the chance to isolate it to a small enough file to send to Apple. Guess I'll go see if this addresses the problem (not holding my breath)... :rolleyes:

pacohaas
Jul 11, 2007, 04:29 PM
*Support for fullscreen

About time. I guess Apple decided they actually wanted people to use their player. :D

another ++ for this one, stopped using Quicktime back in the day when i found a full-screen player. Sadly, it's probably too little too late for apple, this should be included in any decent video player from day 0.

longofest
Jul 11, 2007, 04:37 PM
Most of them have to do with methods to make a media file crash quicktime and allow for arbitrary code execution.

And they probably still didn't get a quarter of the bugs in Quicktime that causes it to crash.

but still, progress is good. :)

Essefgy
Jul 11, 2007, 04:38 PM
Can anyone who had the iTunes library issue (repeatedly "converting" the library, because of corrupt library files, IIRC), report on resolution of that issue?

Yes, we need guinea pigs -- because I sure as hell am not going through that mess again.

DaBrain
Jul 11, 2007, 04:40 PM
Full screen without going Pro. At last.

Here! Here! Update went just fine here for QT! Thx Apple! :)

joepunk
Jul 11, 2007, 04:41 PM
Like others have said...

Sweet! QT FS finally

nagromme
Jul 11, 2007, 04:44 PM
Niceness! You no longer need QT Pro for full screen. We already knew this would be unlocked in Leopard but it's nice to know Tiger has this feature as well. This has been long overdue.

But wait... only professionals need to watch video at large sizes! :o

2" is good enough for the masses ;)

ageis
Jul 11, 2007, 04:46 PM
Does anyone know if the "h264/bug updates" refer to the Quicktime h264 gamma bug at all (that h264 videos are washed out/too bright when played in QT on a core graphics compat. machine)?

That would be HUGE

furious
Jul 11, 2007, 04:49 PM
I am sick of every time there is an update we have to reboot. It is getting to the point of Windows. :p

sebastianlewis
Jul 11, 2007, 04:51 PM
:eek:

I thought it was the lack of sleep... I've been up for 27 hours and when I saw "Quicktime Fullscreen Support" I passed over it like it was just something normal or something... until I opened Software Update and reread that line again. :D

Really though, this shouldn't be news because it was long overdue. :mad:

Sebastian

LimeiBook86
Jul 11, 2007, 04:53 PM
It's great to see Apple finally making the QuickTime fullscreen feature standard. It was stupid that you had to view a QT video in Front Row or iTunes just to view it fullscreen without the Pro version of QuickTime Player. :D

iCe Cube
Jul 11, 2007, 04:54 PM
I'm glad to see full screen in QT, although it probably won't replace VLC as my default player. QT is just such a resource hog! ARGH

willybNL
Jul 11, 2007, 04:56 PM
FINALLY FULL SCREEN

We had to wait for this for ages it looked... but finally it's there. Finally someone at Apple thinking: why put this in pro and tease everybody... FINALLY!

THANK YOU!

(so... still 99 items of my wish list to be done; like allowing to possibility to 'cut' in finder, just in any other file-manager).

Corrosive vinyl
Jul 11, 2007, 05:00 PM
anyone notice that the full screen controls in QT 7.2 are very similar to those of iTunes? can we say system uniformity?

sebastianlewis
Jul 11, 2007, 05:01 PM
:) It works. Now for the ceremonial dragging of the loyal but obsolete Quicktime Fullscreen.app AppleScript Application. :rolleyes:

Sebastian

Cameront9
Jul 11, 2007, 05:02 PM
I am sick of every time there is an update we have to reboot. It is getting to the point of Windows. :p

It's only because of the Quicktime update, since Quicktime is used at a core level.

MacGeek Pro
Jul 11, 2007, 05:03 PM
Ooo, these updates also FINALLY take out the blurriness in the Cover Flow controls on my BlackBook!

MalcolmJID

Me too. Well stupid.

daneoni
anyone notice that the full screen controls in QT 7.2 are very similar to those of iTunes? can we say system uniformity?

Its always been like that....since the on screen controls were introduced. Both QT and iTunes got them (on screen controls) IIRC

jnasato
Jul 11, 2007, 05:04 PM
Does anyone know if the "h264/bug updates" refer to the Quicktime h264 gamma bug at all (that h264 videos are washed out/too bright when played in QT on a core graphics compat. machine)?

That would be HUGE

I hope they fixed that, too! Horrible bug...

Matthew Yohe
Jul 11, 2007, 05:05 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1163/780383174_687c270a7c.jpg?v=0

Movie exporting in quicktime adds iPhone and iPhone (Cellular) support.

Extensions:
iPhone = .m4v
iPhone (Cellular) = .3gp

The "options" button remains grayed out.

MalcolmJID
Jul 11, 2007, 05:08 PM
Me too. Well stupid.

It will play ..mp4 but not .avi; great update! :rolleyes:

daneoni
Jul 11, 2007, 05:12 PM

.avi plays perfectly for me. Using QT Pro though.....

georgeoommen
Jul 11, 2007, 05:17 PM
Has anyone else noticed that the system restarts have become very very slow following this update?? My SR MBP 2.2 used to startup in about 33 seconds, now following this update it takes well over a minute. I dont mean the restart immediately following the installation of the update. I have now restarted about 4 times and timed it every time. About 1 minute 5 seconds each time. Previously "QS" from the quicksilver starting up used to stay in the middle of the screen for only about a second. Now it stays for about 10 seconds. Even the clock and the battery indicator takes long to appear!!

Anyone... Please dont tell me its just me having this issue... This is my first mac and I've had a very trouble free 3 weeks with it so far.

dukebbfan
Jul 11, 2007, 05:18 PM
Whenever I put my iphone in its doc,it launches iPhoto???? what gives; I dont have new photos in iphone to do anything with; then I open iTunes and it will be there as well; when i sync, it runs and then I get "the iphone cannot be synced" or "the required disc cannot be found"; I hope this update will correct this; anyone else with this problem???

telecomm
Jul 11, 2007, 05:19 PM
.avi plays perfectly for me. Using QT Pro though.....

.avi files containing divx, etc., are working for me too, on the non-Pro QT. The first time I tried one it didn't work, but the second time all was well (this is with Perian installed). All .avi files that I've tried work now.

cr2sh
Jul 11, 2007, 05:19 PM
My quicktime crashes while trying to open a AVI, but it's been that way for a while.. and I'm using pro.

:mad:

I thought it was just my machine though...

Matthew Yohe
Jul 11, 2007, 05:21 PM
Simply saying "i can't play my .avi files anymore" doesn't help anyone track down what the problem may be. AVI is simply a container not a codec. I just played a DiVX encoded AVI in QT 7.2 with no problem.

Narrow down what codec is causing the problem.

daneoni
Jul 11, 2007, 05:24 PM
.avi files containing divx, etc., are working for me too, on the non-Pro QT. The first time I tried one it didn't work, but the second time all was well (this is with Perian installed). All .avi files that I've tried work now.

I also have perian installed maybe thats the difference?

cr2sh
Jul 11, 2007, 05:27 PM
Simply saying "i can't play my .avi files anymore" doesn't help anyone track down what the problem may be. AVI is simply a container not a codec. I just played a DiVX encoded AVI in QT 7.2 with no problem.

Narrow down what codec is causing the problem.

M-JPEG codec

Now fix my problem. :)

Same one used to film this AVI (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_sd300-review/MVI_0853.AVI).

FleurDuMal
Jul 11, 2007, 05:32 PM
Does any of the updates to the h.264 QT decoder include a slightly lighter picture? One downside of the QT h.264 decoder is that it seems to play a lot darker than others, such as playing the same file in VLC.

daneoni
Jul 11, 2007, 05:34 PM
M-JPEG codec

Same one used to film this AVI (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_sd400-review/MVI_0090.AVI).

Hmm plays fine for me. Maybe try a manual reinstallation and repair permissions?

EngBrian
Jul 11, 2007, 05:34 PM
I've only had my mac for about a month and after installing this my eye keeps getting drawn to the menu bar because there is a dark line through the middle now. Was that always like that or did this update cause that to happen now? Because it is the only other thing I have installed recently.

lucas
Jul 11, 2007, 05:35 PM
and so the tradition of cracking quicktime, solely to get fullscreen ends... and the naysayers have one less thing to bitch about apple over

Osarkon
Jul 11, 2007, 05:38 PM
I'm also another person who has quicktime crash when I try to open a .avi file now.

The .avi in question is a dvd i backed up using Handbrake. It worked just fine and dandy before. :mad:

Eraserhead
Jul 11, 2007, 05:38 PM
Thank **** for that, Quicktime has full screen, about 20 years after everyone else, but better late than never, good move Apple.

rdowns
Jul 11, 2007, 05:40 PM
Whenever I put my iphone in its doc,it launches iPhoto???? what gives; I dont have new photos in iphone to do anything with; then I open iTunes and it will be there as well; when i sync, it runs and then I get "the iphone cannot be synced" or "the required disc cannot be found"; I hope this update will correct this; anyone else with this problem???

Open up Image Capture.app and reset this preference.

Scarlet Fever
Jul 11, 2007, 05:48 PM
i don't have either of the updates, but i do have Audio Update 2007-001. Have I missed something here?

mozmac
Jul 11, 2007, 05:49 PM
It sickens me that Apple kept Full Screen mode locked for this long. Pathetic. That's like Microsoft forcing you to use Word in a 320 x 240 screen unless you pay for the "Ultimate version"...oh wait....I don't want to give them any ideas.

Raise your hand if you remember the days before Quicktime Pro when you could play movies in full screen without any problems. Thank you.

Oh, and raise your hand if you think iTunes is a piece of crap video player. Thank you.

Osarkon
Jul 11, 2007, 05:56 PM
i don't have either of the updates, but i do have Audio Update 2007-001. Have I missed something here?

That's an update that came out shortly after 10.4.10 to address the audio crackling and popping users encountered with the update.

scottlinux
Jul 11, 2007, 05:59 PM
Oh, and raise your hand if you think iTunes is a piece of crap video player. Thank you.

It's true. Trying to play iTunes store video content in iTunes on an 800Mhz iBook G4 does not work great at all. Choppy/bad, etc. But if you open the exact same file in VLC, the video plays beautifully. And iTunes takes quite a lot of CPU just open and playing back an mp3, compared to other media players.

I guess now that most people have 2-4CPU systems, this is perhaps irrelevant. :(

Scarlet Fever
Jul 11, 2007, 06:00 PM
That's an update that came out shortly after 10.4.10 to address the audio crackling and popping users encountered with the update.

ok thanks. i've been away from a stable internet connection for a couple of weeks so i've missed some stuff along the way :)

MIDI_EVIL
Jul 11, 2007, 06:01 PM
I've only had my mac for about a month and after installing this my eye keeps getting drawn to the menu bar because there is a dark line through the middle now. Was that always like that or did this update cause that to happen now? Because it is the only other thing I have installed recently.

That's a shadow, representing the curvature of the menubar...

Rich.

dazed
Jul 11, 2007, 06:06 PM
Just updated my XP version, not sure what they did but now the video playback is incredibly choppy.

Think I may have to revert to a previous version, this update is no good for me.

cal6n
Jul 11, 2007, 06:09 PM
M-JPEG codec

Same one used to film this AVI (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_sd300-review/MVI_0853.AVI).

"Motion JPEG OpenDML" Video
"8 bit unsigned integer mono 11.024 KHz mono" audio

Playing fine on my Mac Pro...

Black Belt
Jul 11, 2007, 06:10 PM
Thank goodness for the update, hopefully it will be more stable than the last one which crashed all the time.

island
Jul 11, 2007, 06:11 PM

Same here! WTF!

firsttube
Jul 11, 2007, 06:14 PM
Niceness! You no longer need QT Pro for full screen..... This has been long overdue.

Understatement of the last 2 decades. :D

ejl10
Jul 11, 2007, 06:21 PM

Same here on my Pro installation. Just tried resetting PRAM and repairing permissions. No help in either case. Must be a component. I've got Perian installed, so that isn't the solution. Also AppleHDVCodec, AppleIntermediateCodec, DestopVideoOut, DVCPROHDCodec, DVCPROHDVideoDigitizer, DVCPROHDVideoOutput, DVCPROHDVideoOutputClock, DVCPROHDVideoOutputCodec, FCP Uncompressed 422, Flip4Mac WMV Advanced, Flip4Mac WMV Import, FLV, IMXCodec, and LiveType.

Edit - I lied. Updated to Perian v1.0 and all works great. Thanks for the tip!

joekix
Jul 11, 2007, 06:26 PM
i downloaded perian and all my .avi play again. thanks for the suggestion.

Dark Horse
Jul 11, 2007, 06:34 PM
Ooo, these updates also FINALLY take out the blurriness in the Cover Flow controls on my BlackBook!

really? sweet. That's been bugging me for ages. good times.

Luis
Jul 11, 2007, 06:36 PM
M-JPEG codec

"Motion JPEG OpenDML" Video
"8 bit unsigned integer mono 11.024 KHz mono" audio

Playing fine on my Mac Pro...

Plays fine in my MacBook Pro:confused:

firsttube
Jul 11, 2007, 06:45 PM
Niceness! You no longer need QT Pro for full screen..... This has been long overdue.

Understatement of the last 2 decades. :D

TiAdiMundo
Jul 11, 2007, 07:02 PM
They reinvented the media business: full screen videos! (sorry, can't resist :D )

Hopefully, this is the first QuickTime version that is usable on Vista. Let's try it...

CJD2112
Jul 11, 2007, 07:13 PM
Same here! WTF!

No problem here, porn AVI's still play well :p

AtHomeBoy_2000
Jul 11, 2007, 07:25 PM

Porn should be in H.264

Kwill
Jul 11, 2007, 07:26 PM
'This new iTunes update should keep you busy a couple more weeks. When you're done with that, we have another to release via Software Update.' :p

SeaFox
Jul 11, 2007, 07:32 PM

In FULL SCREEN!!! :D

bow chicka bow-bow..

bretm
Jul 11, 2007, 07:38 PM
it has been about time QuickTime got full screen support... i never realized it didn't unless you got the Pro version. For some reason my MBP came with the Pro version installed. When get my new Mac (only God knows when i will) i will be glad to still have full screen support.

Do you have final cut pro? That installs qt pro.

louden
Jul 11, 2007, 07:41 PM
I can confirm that 64-bit Vista still does not work.

Thanks, Apple!

bretm
Jul 11, 2007, 07:43 PM

Porn should be in H.264

h.264 only works on a very few select machines. That's why its usually in mpeg or QMC.

brepublican
Jul 11, 2007, 07:48 PM
Porn should be in H.264

Nay. Havent you heard the industry's been complaing that HD is showing too much rzr burn, warts, etc :rolleyes:

Man, I hope this update resolves iTune's sort feature. "Album by Year" has been acting up on my PB since the last update (7.3)...

llatker
Jul 11, 2007, 08:00 PM
Earlier today my Microsoft applications (Entourage, Excel and Word) were working just fine, thank you very much.

Then I downloaded and installed both the iTunes 7.3.1 and QuickTime 7.2 updates (did not use Software Update from System Preferences) and now MS Entourage, Excel, Word and PowerPoint will not start. I get one bounce from the dock icon and then nothing. However, MS AutoUpdate and Messenger work fine.

Running Applejack and repairing preferences from the Disk Utility had no effect. Someone else tried Disk Warrior, which didn't work either, so I'll not waste my time on that route.

At leasst two other posts on MacFixit have had the same problem, so be careful! :mad:

Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4 GB Ram, running 10.4.10.

slimsakus
Jul 11, 2007, 08:14 PM
Earlier today my Microsoft applications (Entourage, Excel and Word) were working just fine, thank you very much.

Then I downloaded and installed both the iTunes 7.3.1 and QuickTime 7.2 updates (did not use Software Update from System Preferences) and now MS Entourage, Excel, Word and PowerPoint will not start. I get one bounce from the dock icon and then nothing. However, MS AutoUpdate and Messenger work fine.

Running Applejack and repairing preferences from the Disk Utility had no effect. Someone else tried Disk Warrior, which didn't work either, so I'll not waste my time on that route.

At leasst two other posts on MacFixit have had the same problem, so be careful! :mad:

Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4 GB Ram, running 10.4.10.

My MS office lineup works just fine with all of these updates. Just thought I would throw that out there, maybe it is something else. Although if it worked before and not after, kinda makes you point to it regardless.

jicon
Jul 11, 2007, 08:19 PM
Dunno why, but I've just got to rant.

I don't know how Apple blindly releases products out the door without proper QA done on the software.

Popping sound on Intel machines after the latest service pack for Tiger? Come on. How on earth does that NOT get noticed?

Quicktime for many iterations would default the speakers to an unusable setting until last year on my Mac Mini.

iTunes on this last round (7.3) decided to change my default music file location from \Music
to \users\<username>\Music

And please, launch video in QT or whatever the default player is for a video file thru iTunes. iTunes is a horrible video player.

While I'm at it, open up the video formats allowed on the iPhone, AppleTV and iPod. At least an iPod supports most kinds of audio, but video format support is absolute garbage. Unless you are tied in to iTMS to buy video (States only I might add), exporting to another format is a time consuming pain.

aafuss1
Jul 11, 2007, 08:26 PM

How bout multiple QT player windows-not worth the $30. Leave QT pro for licensed codecxs,editing,etc.

lmcintyre
Jul 11, 2007, 08:28 PM
will this update break the dvd jon activation hack?

Dokter_Mac
Jul 11, 2007, 08:33 PM
Anyone noticed that this is the same version like in the latest leopard beta?
Not only the latest beta from Leopard, but the one released last year at WWDC2006 was also version 7.2 :D

rwdebes
Jul 11, 2007, 08:44 PM
In FULL SCREEN!!! :D

bow chicka bow-bow..

hahahhaha perverts..

Padriac
Jul 11, 2007, 08:47 PM
h.264 only works on a very few select machines. That's why its usually in mpeg or QMC.

Very few select machines = every Mac released in the last 4 years. But yeah, porn usually caters to the lowest common denominator.

Padriac
Jul 11, 2007, 08:52 PM
While I'm at it, open up the video formats allowed on the iPhone, AppleTV and iPod. At least an iPod supports most kinds of audio, but video format support is absolute garbage. Unless you are tied in to iTMS to buy video (States only I might add), exporting to another format is a time consuming pain.

Not trying to be an apologist, but what video formats should Apple really support? There is no standard, just a hodgepodge of WMV and pirated DivX. MPEG and Quicktime support is just as valid decision as the rest, and it doesn't cost Apple extra money for licenses.

(And yes, I think we're mixing "formats" with "codecs", but we all know what we mean).

samh004
Jul 11, 2007, 09:01 PM

I guess Pablo will be relieved fewer people will be using his code.

So...there is nothing new concerning the iPhone in this update?

I would think iPhone updates would come in the form of a software update for the iPhone.

Then I downloaded and installed both the iTunes 7.3.1 and QuickTime 7.2 updates (did not use Software Update from System Preferences) and now MS Entourage, Excel, Word and PowerPoint will not start.

No problems here.

hanschien
Jul 11, 2007, 09:04 PM

:o

EngBrian
Jul 11, 2007, 09:08 PM
That's a shadow, representing the curvature of the menubar...

Rich.

Thanks just never seen it before and it is catching my eye more now.

Gymnut
Jul 11, 2007, 09:11 PM
No problems here. Even though I had already purchased QT Pro last year, it's about time the standard version got full screen support.

dr427
Jul 11, 2007, 09:23 PM
I lost my audio on MPEG video files??? The video plays with no Audio.

Even the banner on this site shows a Quicktime with a ? in the middle.

Crazy???

I have Perian, Flip4mac, and Divx plugin.

puckhead193
Jul 11, 2007, 09:28 PM
on mine i got a security update :confused:

inazuman
Jul 11, 2007, 09:35 PM
It sickens me that Apple kept Full Screen mode locked for this long. Pathetic. That's like Microsoft forcing you to use Word in a 320 x 240 screen unless you pay for the "Ultimate version"...oh wait....I don't want to give them any ideas.

Oh now I feel stupid. I paid for Microsoft Word! Geez, if I knew that it was free like QuickTime Player, I would have never done that!

liberty4all
Jul 11, 2007, 09:45 PM
After all, it IS Mac OS X...
*nm*

Kashchei
Jul 11, 2007, 09:51 PM

I agree with furious on this point since installing this update just killed my G3 PowerBook (FireWire model)! It took forever to start back up (more than ten minutes) so I pressed the power button to shut it down and give it another chance (I've had to do this in the past). Well, now the machine won't start up at all, not in safe mode, not in single-user mode, not from the DiskWarrior disk. Has my machine been transformed into a deskweight?

jhsiao
Jul 11, 2007, 09:56 PM
anyone having trouble playing mp4s after the update? i have movies from my cell phone that used to play fine in quicktime, now they only have video. I dont know why thats the case...help?

dr427
Jul 11, 2007, 09:58 PM
anyone having trouble playing mp4s after the update? i have movies from my cell phone that used to play fine in quicktime, now they only have video. I dont know why thats the case...help?

I think we have the same problem. I have the video, but no audio on MPEG4.

But I am completely confused what I am missing.

If I go here: http://quicktime.warnerbrosrecords.com/TheWhiteStripes/ I see the video fine, but have no AUDIO! Ahhhhhhh....

jhsiao
Jul 11, 2007, 10:16 PM
I think we have the same problem. I have the video, but no audio on MPEG4.

But I am completely confused what I am missing.

If I go here: http://quicktime.warnerbrosrecords.com/TheWhiteStripes/ I see the video fine, but have no AUDIO! Ahhhhhhh....

I actually have audio for the white stripes. It seems only mp4 files are a problem, it states "The movie could not be opened, An invalid sample description was found in the movie." They used to play fine before the update, I looked into the codecs and see that the sound is AMR Narrowband, cant find a codec for it though.

Its weird, even VLC wont play the sound. Any player I use only gets video for mp4 files, all other files are fine.

soLoredd
Jul 11, 2007, 11:03 PM
When did they fix the CoverFlow issue on MacBooks? This is great, now I can set CoverFlow as my view without the ugly glitch!

japanime
Jul 11, 2007, 11:04 PM

LOL.

Though, for the record, I have no idea what you're talking about. :D

aspro
Jul 11, 2007, 11:19 PM
When did they fix the CoverFlow issue on MacBooks? This is great, now I can set CoverFlow as my view without the ugly glitch!

That was fixed in 7.3 (the last release).

With Perian 1.0 and now fullscreen support I can (likely, havent tried all my filetypes yet) trash VLC.

soLoredd
Jul 11, 2007, 11:49 PM
That was fixed in 7.3 (the last release).

With Perian 1.0 and now fullscreen support I can (likely, havent tried all my filetypes yet) trash VLC.

Cool, guess I never tried CoverFlow with the 7.3 release :)

phatphil
Jul 12, 2007, 01:18 AM
Please tell me this iTunes update fixes the sorting...?

Am3822
Jul 12, 2007, 01:50 AM
Fullscreen QT + Perian 1.0 (.srt support) -- very nice.

I wouldn't remove VLC just yet -- I think that Perian's matroska support is still flaky (or so they warn).

Kerberos
Jul 12, 2007, 02:32 AM
Just updated my XP version, not sure what they did but now the video playback is incredibly choppy.

Think I may have to revert to a previous version, this update is no good for me.

Hi,

There is a known problem with QT and Windows DirectX :rolleyes:, you could try to
disable the 'Direct3D Acceleration' in option panel of Quicktime under Windows.
This should improve your playback experience.
You have to do this each time you install a new version of Quicktime though,
since options are then reset to default.

Hope this helps,
Eric

--------------------------------------------------------
Eagerly waiting for my MBP 2.2 Ghz ... my first mac ever :)

GregA
Jul 12, 2007, 02:39 AM
Movie exporting in quicktime adds iPhone and iPhone (Cellular) support.

Thanks Matthew.

I see that iMovie will now export Quicktime for iPhone and for AppleTV too, which is good to see.

GregA
Jul 12, 2007, 02:58 AM
iMovie will now export Quicktime for iPhone and for AppleTV too, which is good to see.

Further to this... not sure if this was already known...
My 768x576i (PAL) source (plus still photos) is converted for AppleTV as 1040x576i material (2.7Mbps)

I guess AppleTV can't handle non-square pixels, so this is the standard.

beingme
Jul 12, 2007, 03:29 AM
the update works fine for me too

sammich
Jul 12, 2007, 04:15 AM
Has anyone had a chance to try the Export Profile "iPhone (Cellular)" yet? I tried one movie and put it onto my SE k750i but it will only play back the sound from the clip I exported, no movie.

I'm going to try another movie, to see if that makes any difference.

BoyBach
Jul 12, 2007, 04:44 AM
Apple still hasn't fixed the annoying 'Browse' issue in iTunes.

Boo!

:(

EDIT: Finally, full-screen playback in Quicktime. About bloody time.

cal6n
Jul 12, 2007, 05:15 AM
One day I'll notice an update and post this a bit earlier, but...

For anyone having trouble with the well-known "OMG, (insert update name here) hosed my Mac" syndrome, I have a question. Do you (a) just let your Mac sit there while it downloads and runs the update, or do you (b) carry on working?

If you answered (b) then you need to visit Unsanity's blog, here (http://www.unsanity.org/archives/mac_os_x/shock_and_awe.php) and read their analysis.

Definitely worth a read. I had long ago developed a "superstitious" fear of doing anything else while my mac updates itself but this article justifies and explains that fear. Apparently, there's a 100% reproducible bug on the prebinding (optimisation) that can render your mac unbootable. It's OK to carry on working while your Mac downloads an update and it's OK to carry on working while your installs it but, while optimisation is running, do not touch anything.

Effectively, this means that it's best to go and make a cup of tea while software update works its magic.

MalcolmJID
Jul 12, 2007, 05:19 AM
i downloaded perian and all my .avi play again. thanks for the suggestion.

I also installed Perian, all working again now :) although I've started using VLC.

And I concur for the Coverflow controls on iTunes, they used to be so blurry! Nice and crisp now.

saxondale.
Jul 12, 2007, 05:22 AM
Please tell me this iTunes update fixes the sorting...?
The release of 7.3 addressed organisation of librarys.

Daniel75
Jul 12, 2007, 05:23 AM
ok - so why exactly I cannot play certain movies? Im getting beachball and then nothing is happening or the playback is very "choppy". Any ideas how to fix it? Maybe I should just install VLC? (I have Perian already - should I "reinstall" it?)

telecomm
Jul 12, 2007, 05:25 AM
ok - so why exactly I cannot play certain movies? Im getting beachball and then nothing is happening or the playback is very "choppy". Any ideas how to fix it? Maybe I should just install VLC? (I have Perian already - should I "reinstall" it?)

Perian was recently updated to version 1.0. Is this the version you've got installed? I'd wager it's not.

Daniel75
Jul 12, 2007, 05:27 AM
Cant check it now but there is a chance that I have old version. Thanks! I really hope it will work:)

Osarkon
Jul 12, 2007, 05:29 AM
Installing Perian 1.0 seems to fix the .avi problem. Strange, I was sure I had perian installed anyway, seems like I was wrong.

It would be nice to have iTunes put the sorting back to normal as well, i'm sick of having all the bands that start with a number down the bottom.

Arslanoff
Jul 12, 2007, 06:15 AM
Guys, need help! :confused:
After installation of QT 7.2, Flash is not working in any browser :eek: , installed Macromedia flash player 9, flash started working, but .flv movies from Youtube did not, they just show the buffering... circle and don't play.
Very interesting, but after restart all flash disappeared again :( till I reinstall Flash player! I am on the Mac Book Pro, 10.4.10 Mac OS
.avi files work fine and mpeg-4 also, even that with sound problem played perfectly. I have perian 1.0 and QT Pro upgraded.

waremaster
Jul 12, 2007, 06:24 AM
I would say one of the key reasons for this update would be to help stop the hacking on the iPhone Activation. I am sure AT&T is not happy with the fact that these phones can be hacked in such a manner.

rob@robburns.co
Jul 12, 2007, 07:16 AM
Not trying to be an apologist, but what video formats should Apple really support? There is no standard, just a hodgepodge of WMV and pirated DivX. MPEG and Quicktime support is just as valid decision as the rest, and it doesn't cost Apple extra money for licenses.

(And yes, I think we're mixing "formats" with "codecs", but we all know what we mean).

The closest thing we have to a standard Codec is the H.264 codec. As far as formats, Apple supports the necessary ones.

Arslanoff
Jul 12, 2007, 07:43 AM
Do you have any suggestions, guys
It happens again and again, it is impossible to browse the net without Flash and I am missing Youtube!
I checked the plug-ins and flash is there.
Everything looks fine, I also tried to change the settings in QT, nothing worked.
Is there someone who has Youtube playback problem except me?
Advice me something, guys...

tonkaxxtuph
Jul 12, 2007, 07:47 AM
One day I'll notice an update and post this a bit earlier, but...

For anyone having trouble with the well-known "OMG, (insert update name here) hosed my Mac" syndrome, I have a question. Do you (a) just let your Mac sit there while it downloads and runs the update, or do you (b) carry on working?

If you answered (b) then you need to visit Unsanity's blog, here (http://www.unsanity.org/archives/mac_os_x/shock_and_awe.php) and read their analysis.

Definitely worth a read. I had long ago developed a "superstitious" fear of doing anything else while my mac updates itself but this article justifies and explains that fear. Apparently, there's a 100% reproducible bug on the prebinding (optimisation) that can render your mac unbootable. It's OK to carry on working while your Mac downloads an update and it's OK to carry on working while your installs it but, while optimisation is running, do not touch anything.

Effectively, this means that it's best to go and make a cup of tea while software update works its magic.

I believe I was a victim of this very bug! My computer started up fine after installation. But some how after a few restarts, I got the loading icon, it kept going for longer than usual so i hit the power button. Then upon the next restart it went to the blue screen with the loading icon, and then for the first time ever that i've seen, the screen went black and white text start popping up saying I had some errors and please enter login. It was really weired. So I tried running disk repair off my CD but it couldn't read the drive. I kept doing this for several hours until finally I physically selected what drive I wanted to boot from holding Option key.

Anyways to make a long story short, I was able to repair my disk using disk utility and i hope this doesn't happen again.

Any got similar situation?

jydesign
Jul 12, 2007, 08:08 AM

What about the "Float on top" window property that VLC offers? I've long advocated for this feature to be part of both QuickTime player and iTunes. And if they were really cool, they'd allow such a floating window to have transparency like other extensions offer.

johnmcboston
Jul 12, 2007, 08:12 AM
Apple still hasn't fixed the annoying 'Browse' issue in iTunes.

OK, what is the 'browse' issue?

Personally, I'd love some better podcast management, but not holding my breath...

DaLurker
Jul 12, 2007, 09:00 AM
Hmm.. I just did the update and now I can't start any of my Microsoft Office 2004 applications nor RDC

Anybody else get this problem?

ryry919
Jul 12, 2007, 09:07 AM
not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but when I opened iTunes back up after the update I noticed that all of my artists that are a # (IE: 311, 3 Doors Down) are all now at the end of the iTunes artist sort rather than being at the top, before the A's like it used to be.

anyone know of a way to change this back? is there anything like how you can either view you contacts in address book for first, last or last, first? just wondering.

BoyBach
Jul 12, 2007, 09:10 AM
OK, what is the 'browse' issue?

I listen to my music by first selecting the 'Genre' then the 'Artist' and then the 'Album' in the 'Browse window'.

This has been fine until the 7.0 update, but now if a leave the 'Main Library' window - say to update my Podcasts or to visit the iTunes Store, the 'Artist' and 'Album' sections are no longer selected.

It's not the end of the world, but it is annoying.

HyperX
Jul 12, 2007, 09:18 AM
When will we get AVCHD support?

brguitarist
Jul 12, 2007, 09:22 AM
ahh, the death of pablo

Kelson
Jul 12, 2007, 09:30 AM
I'm hitting the same issue w/ Microsoft Office not working after this update. Seems to be the case with any Rosetta applications. There is a thread over on the Apple discussion forums about it.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1039074&tstart=0

- Kelson

dextertangocci
Jul 12, 2007, 09:31 AM
Oh thank god. Full screen QT playback without the need for pro.. wow I never thought it would happen:)

AidenShaw
Jul 12, 2007, 09:57 AM
The closest thing we have to a standard Codec is the H.264 codec. As far as formats, Apple supports the necessary ones.

You don't consider MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 to be standards?

rob@robburns.co
Jul 12, 2007, 10:04 AM
You don't consider MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 to be standards?

I'm not sure what you're asking? Are there problems with QuickTimes MPEG-! and MPEG-2 support (not a rhetorical question, I'm just not aware of any)?

I would still say that H.264 and MPEG-4 are closer to a universal standard than anything we've had before.

Antares
Jul 12, 2007, 10:39 AM

Now that's THE understatement of the last 20 years....

With some people referring to Rosetta bugs due this update, I'm thinking that I should wait a bit before I do this update.

QuarterSwede
Jul 12, 2007, 10:40 AM
Oh thank god. Full screen QT playback without the need for pro.. wow I never thought it would happen:)
Indeed. Hell hath frozen over twice now.

*It only makes sense though because iTunes has had fullscreen viewing for a while now. I was wondering when Apple was going to allow it in Quicktime.

Object-X
Jul 12, 2007, 10:52 AM
I just installed these updates and now Microsoft's Remote Desktop client doesn't work anymore. Can anyone confirm this?

rob@robburns.co
Jul 12, 2007, 11:15 AM
I just installed these updates and now Microsoft's Remote Desktop client doesn't work anymore. Can anyone confirm this?

Many in this thread are reporting a broken Rosetta upon update of QuickTime/iTunes

Object-X
Jul 12, 2007, 11:19 AM
Many in this thread are reporting a broken Rosetta upon update of QuickTime/iTunes

Thanks, I haven't had time to read the whole thread.

Multimedia
Jul 12, 2007, 12:06 PM
Installing Perian 1.0 seems to fix the .avi problem. Strange, I was sure I had perian installed anyway, seems like I was wrong.

It would be nice to have iTunes put the sorting back to normal as well, i'm sick of having all the bands that start with a number down the bottom.When did Perian arrive on the scene? This is the first I've heard of it.Version History:
1.0 - Friday, June 29, 2007

Added support for Matroska/mkv
Integrated a52codec
Added subtitle support
Added support for .gvi (avi wrapper from Google Video)
Changed distribution to a Preference Pane in order to make installation simpler and configuration possible in the long term.
Changed installation directory from /Library/QuickTime to ~/Library/QuickTime.
Fixed avi/flv over http
Added support for Windows Media Audio in AVI
Added support for MPEG-1 layer 2 audio
Added support for the ADPCM audio codec in FLV
Added Vorbis decoder
Added support for Fraps FPS1
Added support for VP3
Added support for i263
Added support for HuffYUV
Added support for MPEG-1/2 video in AVI/MKV
Fix opening AVIs with VBR audio for which there is no available decoder
Fix crash with DVI ADPCM
Fix multichannel audio descriptions in AVI
Faster opening of AVI files
High profile H.264 support
Full MPEG-4 video support in .mp4
Altivec & SSE2 colorspace conversion
Fix DV in type 1 AVIs

0.5 - Friday, September 29, 2006

Initial ReleaseI see it's brand new as of two weeks ago.

I won't install 7.3 until this numbers at the bottom after Z instead of the top above A thing is fixed. Is it confirmed everyone has this problem since 7.3?

Data
Jul 12, 2007, 12:10 PM
Since the update both my buildin and external iSight don't work any more on the webcam site i'm often on, any body have simulare problems ?

off topic : since i installed perian 1.0 i get an error message every time i boot, saying there was an error in loading the version check or something like that, any have a solution for this problem ?

copland007
Jul 12, 2007, 12:17 PM
This was the slowest install of any piece of software I have ever done. My bloody OS installed faster than this hahaha

Multimedia
Jul 12, 2007, 12:34 PM
When will we get AVCHD support?Forget AVCHD. Was A DOA format to begin with. AVCiHD is coming next year. The "i" is for Interstitial and it will be totally editable.

zen
Jul 12, 2007, 02:39 PM
Apologies if this has already been covered, but for those experiencing difficulties playing DivX/AVI/XviD files etc with Perian installed, I found that manually deleting the Perian plugin from the main Library > Quicktime folder, then reinstalling, solved the problem.

I downloaded the update this morning, and all of a sudden I had 200GB of video files that wouldn't play!!

Edit: Oops, ok ok, it's been covered several times!!

amontwin
Jul 12, 2007, 02:54 PM
Guys, need help! :confused:
After installation of QT 7.2, Flash is not working in any browser :eek: , installed Macromedia flash player 9, flash started working, but .flv movies from Youtube did not, they just show the buffering... circle and don't play.
Very interesting, but after restart all flash disappeared again :( till I reinstall Flash player! I am on the Mac Book Pro, 10.4.10 Mac OS
.avi files work fine and mpeg-4 also, even that with sound problem played perfectly. I have perian 1.0 and QT Pro upgraded.

This happened to me once before with another upgrade (don't remember which one) but reinstalling my Flash fixed everything that time. This time it has happened again and am having same problem. DLing and installing latest Flash this time doesn't seem to do anything. I have completely lost all flash in Safari. Just get the faded quicktime logo with a question mark in it.

Any suggestions this time...

Oh am on a PowerPC G5...(still)

Thanks.

ortuno2k
Jul 12, 2007, 03:03 PM
I haven't done any of these updates yet - will wait a few days.
I'm completely ignoring iTunes 7.3 too - I don't have an iPhone so this version isn't worth the upgrade.
Let's see what 7.4 brings.

lorien
Jul 12, 2007, 03:19 PM

Same here! :mad:

Multimedia
Jul 12, 2007, 03:24 PM
This happened to me once before with another upgrade (don't remember which one) but reinstalling my Flash fixed everything that time. This time it has happened again and am having same problem. DLing and installing latest Flash this time doesn't seem to do anything. I have completely lost all flash in Safari. Just get the faded quicktime logo with a question mark in it.

Any suggestions this time...

Oh am on a PowerPC G5...(still)This happened to me as soon as I installed Flash 9.

I fixed this problem on my Quad G5 by locating an old Flash 8 installer and installing that over 9. Fixed it.

I am not installing any more of these "updates" due to fear it may break something again. These newer iTunes and QuickTime Tiger updates are starting to look like cobbles that only break more than they fix.

amontwin
Jul 12, 2007, 03:50 PM
This happened to me as soon as I installed Flash 9.

I fixed this problem on my Quad G5 by locating an old Flash 8 installer and installing that over 9. Fixed it.

I am not installing any more of these "updates" due to fear it may break something again. These newer iTunes and QuickTime Tiger updates are starting to look like cobbles that only break more than they fix.

Thanks for the advice. However, where did you locate Flash 8? Everything I find only leads me back to a Flash 9 link....

Multimedia
Jul 12, 2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the advice. However, where did you locate Flash 8? Everything I find only leads me back to a Flash 9 link....I never delete any of my installers. Save them all for a rainy day. Used Spotlight to locate it on one of my backup drives.

luminosity
Jul 12, 2007, 03:55 PM
Glad I didn't install anything.

amontwin
Jul 12, 2007, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the advice. However, where did you locate Flash 8? Everything I find only leads me back to a Flash 9 link....

Man I actually had considered keeping my old installers but didn't. Am I out of luck then and have to just hope this gets fixed fairly soon? Or are there any other suggestions out there? I too will hold off on these supposed updates in the near future until I have learned more about them...

Multimedia
Jul 12, 2007, 04:14 PM
Man I actually had considered keeping my old installers but didn't. Am I out of luck then and have to just hope this gets fixed fairly soon? Or are there any other suggestions out there? I too will hold off on these supposed updates in the near future until I have learned more about them...Read your private massage. I'm offering to push you mine on iChat. It's only 1.8MB and I would email it to you but you declined to let anyone email you on your profile.

Arslanoff
Jul 12, 2007, 04:18 PM
I fixed flash appearance, now I don't have those question marks there, but Youtube still do not work, it is buffering all the time (circle in the middle of the video). I downloaded the Flash Uninstaller (http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157&sliceId=2), uninstalled the flash player, in the QuickTime preferences - Advanced - MIME settings - Miscellaneous - Flash Media took out the pointer and reinstalled the Flash Player again (http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash) Now I do not have question marks, but video is still not playing.

I am sure that the problem is somewhere in the settings of QuickTime, according to Youtube help:
Ensure other applications like Quicktime, iTunes, Real Player, or Windows Media Player arenít set as the default streaming application, as this might affect the video player.

This might also be caused by another streaming application such as Quicktime fighting for the stream. Please check streaming applications installed on your computer like RealPlayer, Quicktime, and Windows Media Player and ensure they are not enabled as the default player.

But I do not know what to change there!

blufire
Jul 12, 2007, 05:26 PM
To fix this, you must remove QuickTime and immediately reinstall, then restart. Does anyone have a script that will remove QuickTime entirely?

queshy
Jul 12, 2007, 05:47 PM
finally, apple! now upgrade the minis and imacs...

amontwin
Jul 12, 2007, 05:49 PM
Read your private massage. I'm offering to push you mine on iChat. It's only 1.8MB and I would email it to you but you declined to let anyone email you on your profile.

Thanks. I have changed my profile to allow emailing and I have replied to your private message as well with my iChat name as well. Thank you very much again.

mathwhiz90601
Jul 12, 2007, 05:53 PM
I downloaded the update this morning, and all of a sudden I had 200GB of video files that wouldn't play!!

200 gigs... wow, that's like 33 times more than my entire hard drive...

Still, I don't have to worry about all these errors with QT 7.3 since it won't install on Windows 2000. Humph.

And any 7 won't install on my mac either...

dmelgar
Jul 12, 2007, 08:10 PM
I installed the updates, I then tried to run Frontrow which I had been running recently. I have Divx and WMV movies as well as MOV (Quicktime) movies. Everything was working fine.

Now when frontrow starts, I select Videos, select Movies, it starts spinning, then the spinner stops and Frontrow is hung. It eventually times out, around 30 seconds later, seems like an eternity. It eventually lists my movies but is still very sick. Moving down the movies it soon hangs again and I was not able to recover. No timeout. I have to hard poweroff the system.

Anyone else experiencing these types of problems? I reinstalled flip4mac thinking maybe that was the issue. I can play WMV files outside of Frontrow. I haven't reinstalled DIVX.

Suggestions appreciated.

Links
Jul 12, 2007, 09:00 PM
Forget AVCHD. Was A DOA format to begin with. AVCiHD is coming next year. The "i" is for Interstitial and it will be totally editable.
That's a joke, right?
But if it isn't where can one get info?
Google was useless.
Interframe, and Intraframe I get, but Interstitial?

So, an update.
Found plenty on AVC-Intra for high end cameras like
Panasonic's 24P AJ-HPX2000 P2 HD Camcorder
and AJ-HPX3000G

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/sales_o/p2/ag-hpx3000/index.html

http://www.studiodaily.com/main/news/7405.html

No sign of "Interstitial".

Padriac
Jul 12, 2007, 09:59 PM
I would still say that H.264 and MPEG-4 are closer to a universal standard than anything we've had before.

To this I agree. People complain about Apple not supporting DivX, but I'd say the far greater crime is for a program or piece of hardware to not support h.264 MPEG4 format (cough windows cough). With Apple, Sony, and the entire Blu-ray group backing h.264 (aka AVC) in it's various forms, I'd say this is evolving to be the new codec standard.

On that note, why are some things both a container and a codec (MPEG-2)? It's confusing as hell.

AidenShaw
Jul 12, 2007, 10:02 PM
To this I agree. People complain about Apple not supporting DivX, but I'd say the far greater crime is for a program or piece of hardware to not support h.264 MPEG4 format (cough windows cough). With Apple, Sony, and the entire Blu-ray group backing h.264 (aka AVC) in it's various forms, I'd say this is evolving to be the new codec standard.

WMV is also a required part of the Blu-ray standard, so your point is?

On that note, why are some things both a container and a codec (MPEG-2)? It's confusing as hell.

I think that most people here think that .AVI is both a container and a codec, so I'm not surprised.

No, let me change that. I think that most people here have no idea what the difference is between a container and a codec. And if you tell them that a video file is a container and two codecs, their heads will explode.

katorga
Jul 12, 2007, 11:03 PM
OK, this update broke playing avi files inside safari for me, but the files play fine if I download and run in QT player. They work fine both ways in Firefox. Odd.

eeyoredragon
Jul 12, 2007, 11:27 PM
Annoying.

maulrat1967
Jul 13, 2007, 06:59 AM

Same here ... but could this be a Flip4Mac issue with QT 7.2? I'm not sure if I remember correctly but didnt you need the Flip4Mac program installed in order to play AVI files in QT? I bought it so long ago I cant quite remember.

AlbinoPigeon
Jul 13, 2007, 08:51 AM
Ok well this is strange. After the update some of my QT associated files changed their default 'open with' applications to something called "AA041434_a.jpg"

Does anyone know what the hell that is? Google searches got me no where and whenever I try and change the default app it auto reverts back to that weird .jpg file!!!

phatphil
Jul 13, 2007, 09:58 AM
The release of 7.3 addressed organisation of librarys.

The 7.3 update is what caused the error in sorting (numbers and symbols after z.) I was hoping the 7.3.1 update would fix it, but it sounds like it doesn't.

not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but when I opened iTunes back up after the update I noticed that all of my artists that are a # (IE: 311, 3 Doors Down) are all now at the end of the iTunes artist sort rather than being at the top, before the A's like it used to be.

anyone know of a way to change this back? is there anything like how you can either view you contacts in address book for first, last or last, first? just wondering.

I downgraded my iTunes to 7.2 for the time being.

Snowy_River
Jul 13, 2007, 11:27 AM
Okay, so I'm scared to update. I keep a lot of video content in a variety of codecs (usually in AVI containers, though sometimes in MOV containers). I don't want to install and loose my access to these videos. (Yes, I could still use VLC to watch them, but I usually watch them using Front Row, because it keeps track of where I left off if I have to interrupt a video in the middle. Very convenient!)

So, what's the best way for me to test to see if this update is going to cause me problems, without committing myself to a potential dead-end path? Unfortunately, I don't have an appropriately sized external HD to create a snap-shot of my drive so I can revert. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or should I just avoid this update as long as possible, and hope that by the time I get forced into it the plug-ins have been updated appropriately to deal with this problem?

Thanks!

Object-X
Jul 13, 2007, 12:58 PM
Annoying.

OK, I'm going to post this for anyone not following the thread about it on Apple support. Installing this update will break Rosetta if you have Java 6 beta installed.

Here is how you can check. Execute this command in the terminal

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Commands/java -version

You might need to do it twice. You should see something like this:

java version "1.6.0-dp"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-dp-b88-34)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0-b88-17-release, mixed mode, sharing)

If you have it installed this is how to remove it and re-install to get Rosetta working again.

1. cd /Library/Receipts/JavaSE6Release1.pkg/Contents/
2. lsbom -s -f Archive.bom > /tmp/java.bom
3. Edit /tmp/java.bom and replace " " with "\ " and "./" with "rm /"
4. sudo bash /tmp/java.bom
5. sudo update_prebinding
6. Reinstall Java 6

That's it. All your Rosetta apps should now work. I hope this helps someone. Private message me if you have questions.

robbiehanson
Jul 13, 2007, 03:19 PM
I write an application that downloads songs and then adds them to the iTunes library via Applescript. (http://www.deusty.com/software/) And I could SWEAR that adding songs to the iTunes library is MUCH faster now. I suppose it could just be my machine...

amontwin
Jul 13, 2007, 07:07 PM
I don't know if it is related or not to the update, but I can't seem to open iPhoto anymore. iPhoto starts to load, but I just get a big empty window with the Loading Photos...displayed. It does this forever. I know it worked a couple of days ago as I uploaded a few things just then...any ideas? Thanks...

phillipjfry
Jul 14, 2007, 01:38 AM
Very few select machines = every Mac released in the last 4 years. But yeah, porn usually caters to the lowest common denominator.

emphasis on "common" since most people see some form or another of porn without actually wanting to :)

On Topic: anyone else notice that movies take a little longer than usual to open up in quicktime?

bgiancola
Jul 14, 2007, 03:56 AM

I had the same problem and I did the following: I went to "MyDrive"/Library/Quicktime and created a new folder. I then moved all of the .component and .shlb files into that folder. Then I tried to play a .avi movie and it failed saying something like I needed a missing component. I moved the file "DivX Decoder.component" back out of the new folder and retried the .avi file. Quicktime would then play the .avi file. I then quit Quicktime and moved back one more of the .component or .shlb files out of the new folder and retried the .avi file. I kept doing this and found that when I move the file "Perian.component" out of the new folder, Quicktime would no longer play the .avi file. So I moved that file back to the folder I created earlier.

You may have different .component and/or .shlb files but I would try this method to isolate the file that may be causing your problem.:)

barrettd
Jul 14, 2007, 05:03 PM
I'm not thrilled because of something that seems to have changed with the QT update. I usually watch a video on one of my monitors using the "View" -> "Present Movie..." which allows me to watch a video in full screen mode on one screen and work on the other screen. Now, QT acts like DVD Player in that if you use Present Movie..., then click on another application, the QT window shrinks back out of full screen.

I do not like that and am hoping it's just a new setting somewhere that I've missed. I'm using QT Pro, too. :(

EDIT: Whoops, I spoke too soon. If anyone else is curious, here's the fix. In Preferences, click on the Full Screen button. At the bottom, there is an option to "Remain in full screen while player is inactive" that should be selected. Thank goodness. :)

maulrat1967
Jul 14, 2007, 07:20 PM
I had the same problem and I did the following: I went to "MyDrive"/Library/Quicktime and created a new folder. I then moved all of the .component and .shlb files into that folder. Then I tried to play a .avi movie and it failed saying something like I needed a missing component. I moved the file "DivX Decoder.component" back out of the new folder and retried the .avi file. Quicktime would then play the .avi file. I then quit Quicktime and moved back one more of the .component or .shlb files out of the new folder and retried the .avi file. I kept doing this and found that when I move the file "Perian.component" out of the new folder, Quicktime would no longer play the .avi file. So I moved that file back to the folder I created earlier.

You may have different .component and/or .shlb files but I would try this method to isolate the file that may be causing your problem.:)

Thank you so much for your work and pointing that out about the Perian component! What I did was go to the Perian website and download the upgrade and applied it and now everything is back to normal! I dunno if you tried that but I had Perian component 0.5 installed and the latest release is 1.0 ... now everthing is back to normal when playing AVI files in QT 7.2.

http://perian.org/

phillipjfry
Jul 15, 2007, 05:18 PM
I installed the updates, I then tried to run Frontrow which I had been running recently. I have Divx and WMV movies as well as MOV (Quicktime) movies. Everything was working fine.

Now when frontrow starts, I select Videos, select Movies, it starts spinning, then the spinner stops and Frontrow is hung. It eventually times out, around 30 seconds later, seems like an eternity. It eventually lists my movies but is still very sick. Moving down the movies it soon hangs again and I was not able to recover. No timeout. I have to hard poweroff the system.

Anyone else experiencing these types of problems? I reinstalled flip4mac thinking maybe that was the issue. I can play WMV files outside of Frontrow. I haven't reinstalled DIVX.

Suggestions appreciated.

The only thing similar I have been experiencing is that Frontrow and quicktime in general is freakishly slow now in regards to AVI files (divx/xvid). Frontrow skips along just fine until it gets to previewing the movie, and hitting play to begin the movie. When the video is finished, it seesm to pause for a long time until it goes back to the list of movies. Loading time has almost tripled since this update. I will finish reading through pages of replies. Just wanted to put in my 0.02US$ if anyone else is having this issue.