Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

1782-1_500.jpg

One iPhone user successfully modified a version of TightVNC to allow him to control his Windows PC from his iPhone.
WebVNC is a modification of the VNC server. Where before the HTTP server in VNC would just serve a Java applet, now it serves an AJAX application that downloads the screen as a set of JPEG images. The application then checks back with the server to see which ones have changed, and reloads them. Input is just another message to the server.
The web-based interface supports Mouse Clicks, Scrolling, Drag/Drop and text entry. Due to the use of Windows-specific functions, the application is only supported on Windows at this time. A downloadable binary is offered along with source code.

One of the reader comments suggests that LogMeIn.com could be another alternative if you set your preferences to "HTML", but in brief testing, I was unable to emulate mouse functions over the web interface.

Article Link

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
Yuck!!

First we have Windows on a Mac, and now on your iPhone?!?!?! :eek:

What is this world coming to?

All joking aside, this could prove to be a very good thing for the iPhone. Especially for some businesses (assuming, it is a secure connection).

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
I think this is very very cool. Who cares that it is only Windows right now? That is what a lot of people are using for business. This makes it a great IT toy... errr... tool.

DJ88

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Downtown Miami
Doesn't seem to work for me. When I run WinVNC. exe it says

"This application has failed to start because MSVCR71D.dll was not found. Re-installing the aplication may fix this problem."

Seems cool if I could get it to work.

Glassman

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
Doesn't seem to work for me. When I run WinVNC. exe it says

"This application has failed to start because MSVCR71D.dll was not found. Re-installing the aplication may fix this problem."

Seems cool if I could get it to work.

it's easy to fix - find, download and save this library to \windows\system32 directory

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
I can't even begin to fathom how helpful it will be to control a server from anywhere with your iPhone.
Agreed...if I ever get the idea to try and do some remote server management via my iPhone, I will know the earth is about to end.

Same goes with document editing... I think I might just punch the first person I have to sit by on a plane that is trying to edit a word document on their iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.