PDA

View Full Version : iSight on a PC?

adamfilip
Jul 21, 2003, 04:57 PM
my PC has a firewire connection.

anyone know if i can use the Isight on my pc.. until my g5 arrives?

rainman::|:|
Jul 21, 2003, 05:19 PM
not until Apple/someone releases a driver for it... which probably won't happen... Apple can't really compete in the PC webcam arena, just in the software-integration arena.

pnw

mac15
Jul 21, 2003, 09:35 PM
If apple offered that webcam to windows users, you'd only need a driver for it and I'm sure lots of people would be down for using one. After all its time magazines gadget of the week

chicagdan
Jul 21, 2003, 10:40 PM
Apple can't really compete in the PC webcam arena

That makes no sense at all. The cost of creating a Windows driver is minimal, so even if sales are relatively low, they will more than recoup the low development costs. Economies of scale will make the iSight more profitable for Apple, so competition is not a valid reason to limit sales to Apple users.

So why isn't Apple creating a Windows driver? To keep the focus on iChat AV, of course, which is the #1 reason for Mac users to spend another $130 on Panther. And anything that helps differentiate Apple in the marketplace becomes a good reason to switch.

You can talk all you want about G5 and such, I guarantee you that iChat AV will do more to switch older Americans who want to see their grandkids on video for free than any new processor.

maradong
Jul 23, 2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
not until Apple/someone releases a driver for it... which probably won't happen... Apple can't really compete in the PC webcam arena, just in the software-integration arena.

pnw
ehm.
i give the linux geeks like 2 weeks from now on, and a driver will be aviable. ,)
you aren t running your pc with m$ software, are you ?

ear2ear
Jul 23, 2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by chicagdan
You can talk all you want about G5 and such, I guarantee you that iChat AV will do more to switch older Americans who want to see their grandkids on video for free than any new processor.

good point