Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xcalibur

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
hi..i'm considering getting my first mac..probably gonna be a powerbook and i've noticed many of you guys on the forum recommend getting the applecare...why is this? thanks in advance!

tazo

macrumors 68040
if u buy a notebook it is more prone to costlier repairs. even if you never need to use it you will have the reassurance that if something does go wrong, no problem :)

get the applecare, its a small price to pay when just replacing the mobo on it would be more than applecare :)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I would recommend it on a laptop as if the battery fails in the next 2 years it will cover it. As for worn out parts it won't cover that unless it is very obvious it was a manufacturing defect and even then it can be like pulling teeth to get them to do the repair.

I don't remember but it seems that the AppleCare package comes with some commercial software. If anyone knows what it is or if it still comes with it please let me know. It could make the difference in me getting AppleCare myself.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Do a little research on this site. Search for threads on this topic.
AppleCare has paid for its self and them some. If you can't afford to repair your computer due to hardware failure then it is a must. If you have cash to burn, then drop it. I think that there are few people that would recommend against it. I have burnt through a number of laptops. The extended warranty has paid for its self on all of portable computers I have owned. My iBook has preformed better than all of my previous laptops, but I have still used AppleCare a number of times. I have found them to quick and I have never had a problem getting repair work done.

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
If you buy through a reseller, make sure you check their offers. AppleCare is a bit pricey for PowerBooks, and it is just an extended warranty. Some resellers offer insurance for a similar price.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
The biggest motivator for me buying AppleCare for my first TiBook was if the screen went bad...costs $1k to replace. I'd rather pay a fraction of that up front, and be covered for anything. ;)

xcalibur

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
thanks for all the replies guys..the thing i don't understand is how likely will things spoil? i'm using a compaq notebook right now and it's coming to 2 years and still it works absolutely perfectly...Do Macs spoil easily? i would have thought otherwise (pcs spoiling easier than macs)..

AnotherMortal

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
Baltimore
Don't spoil

Its not that macs spoil easily, its that if something happens on your 1 year old laptop, do you want to pay to get it fixed? As mentioned, the screen is $1000 USD to get fixed (approx) and I'd rather not shell out another grand on a laptop that cost me 3 grand to begin with.
I got it with my iBook 12" because I like knowing its there. Also, as said before, laptops are expensive to repair.

But also the insurance idea is a good idea as well, because that would cover things like accidental damage, whereas Applecare does *not*. But $250 does add to the price when you're trying to get a cheap iBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.