PDA

View Full Version : leopard macbook for photography

gregjp48
Jul 12, 2007, 08:58 PM
Ok so I've posted a few about this topic, but even so, here goes:

I do photography. I want to use lightroom, and my ibook G4 with a gig of ram just isn't cutting it. The battery is also dying.

I was originally going to get an imac 20" to use, with 2 gigs of ram and a 256 meg X1600. I was going to use my ibook for portable surfing (from cafes to my living room, etc.). But since the battery is dying on my ibook, I would have to replace it for another 79 bucks. So basically I have a 1700+ dollar purchase with education discount. So I figured, why not get a macbook with 2 gigs of ram? I can get it much sooner, since it's only $1200 (or $1300 with 2.16 and a superdrive), and I don't need too much graphics power for lightroom, as said here (http://www.flickr.com/groups/mac_addicts/discuss/72057594138439530) (aperture is another story, but I'm not keen on aperture anyway). I don't need it for 3d games, as I have an Xbox 360 for that purpose.

I'd probably plan on getting a 20" dell display later on, which would really make my day with more screen real estate, as well as have a great screen to use for the 360, since I possess no HDTV, and next gen gaming is really a waste without HD, and a computer monitor is a great path to it. And for 300 dollars, who could go wrong (esp. since it's the same panel as the ACD). In the mean time I'm using a 4:3 19"er that I already have.

Now here's my question. Even though said integrated graphics can operate lightroom well, will it work with core animation and those great new interfaces in leopard well. Someone told me my ibook should, so surely the macbook with 64 megs of available shared ram would be able to right? This could make it or break it.
Otherwise, maybe the macbook graphics will be revamped for the release of leopard (I won't be buying at least until then anyway).

So what do you think about the macbook?
Thanks a bunch.

Jul 12, 2007, 09:03 PM
Leopard would run like a champ in any Macbook. Don't worry.:)

gregjp48
Jul 12, 2007, 09:07 PM
Leopard would run like a champ in any Macbook. Don't worry.:)

well that's good news. Gonna start saving for my macbook then :)

i wonder if I should go for the superdrive model or not, and then it's either 120 or 160 on the hard drive. The 160mhz really doesn't concern me, but the thought of dvd burning might. However, I could always get an external burner, which I'm sure would go for little by now, especially with the hd format war rearing it's ugly head. I'd be more concerned with PLAYING dvds on the road than burning them anyway, and the extra money could go toward the 160gb hard drive.

hhlee
Jul 12, 2007, 09:20 PM
well that's good news. Gonna start saving for my macbook then :)

i wonder if I should go for the superdrive model or not, and then it's either 120 or 160 on the hard drive. The 160mhz really doesn't concern me, but the thought of dvd burning might. However, I could always get an external burner, which I'm sure would go for little by now, especially with the hd format war rearing it's ugly head. I'd be more concerned with PLAYING dvds on the road than burning them anyway, and the extra money could go toward the 160gb hard drive.

you're probably better off saving for an external hd. if you're doing so much photography, neither 120 or 160 is really going to cut it. i run lightroom heavily on my mac mini core duo and it runs like a champ. nothing i've read about leopard suggests that there will be any issues with GMA950's graphics output.

gregjp48
Jul 13, 2007, 01:39 PM
you're probably better off saving for an external hd. if you're doing so much photography, neither 120 or 160 is really going to cut it. i run lightroom heavily on my mac mini core duo and it runs like a champ. nothing i've read about leopard suggests that there will be any issues with GMA950's graphics output.

very true, but I would be more concerned with an external hard drive for a backup rather than for extra space, as I shoot in 8 megapixel jpegs (fine quality), and haven't bitten by the raw bug yet. I don't do this for a living either, I don't have thousands and thousands of images each week, but I still need a method of organizing the photos and creating different versions without adding to the hard drive space.

I'll be running Photoshop CS, and no doubt this'll take a performance hit due to Rosetta, but considering I'm running it on an ibook currently, anything would be more powerful.

If I wasn't going for portability I'd get a mac mini and an ACD. But I could always get an ACD anyway :p

Can the macbook run in clamshell mode with the screen closed using an external display. THis isn't REALLY important, since I can just use extended desktop with both screens (which I probably will be), but for those times when I want to save vram by not splitting it in half...

Well the macbook's a winner, and for the external hard drive for a little more storage space, it's not much, but I have the 60 gig hard drive from my ibook that I can always put in a USB2 or Firewire enclosure (probably USB). I'm definitely going to need an external drive to match the size of the macbook for backups, and then when i outgrow that, I'll probably burn and index images older than a certain point to DVD or bluray or whatever is reining at the time. 3 external hard drives would be much too much (the third being a backup for the second external HD).

Thanks for putting up with my ranting. :D

dops7107
Jul 13, 2007, 01:45 PM
... but I have the 60 gig hard drive from my ibook that I can always put in a USB2 or Firewire enclosure (probably USB).

nah, just sell your iBook on eBay, you'll get a couple of hundred surely.

gregjp48
Jul 13, 2007, 06:18 PM
nah, just sell your iBook on eBay, you'll get a couple of hundred surely.

i could do that, but the screen casing is cracked, but I'm sure someone wouldn't care, and it's just a bit in the corner.

I could alwasy hand it off to my mother, as she has a 7lb and 2 inch thick dell inspiron monster, though she may want something newer. Otherwise I could put it to good use in the kitchen, where the battery won't be a problem because it'll stay plugged in the majority of the itme anyway. It would be hard to part with my ibook, it was my first mac, and I use it daily and for everything.

EDIT:
wow scratch that, my model with a 512 and 40GB hard drive gets about $570 BIN, I'm sure I could get something good for it with the gig of ram and the 60GB hard drive, not to mention the extended warranty that is still in effect for another year and a half or so....
It would be better to buy the macbook first and then use the migration assistant and then sell it, right? I already have 600 or so saved, maybe a bit more, so the amount of money is perfect if I were to sell and than buy, but then i'd be without a mac for a while, not to mention I wouldn't have any way of saving my data for the new machine. But if I buy and then sell I risk the resale value decreasing more.

gregjp48
Jul 14, 2007, 10:30 AM
oh, by the way, how will a macbook handle HD video? This is something my ibook is not so great at. Does it depend more on the videocard or on the processor? I'm sure the 2gb of ram helps as the 64 are siphoned off for the video, a lot is still left over, correct?

FF_productions
Jul 14, 2007, 10:33 AM
oh, by the way, how will a macbook handle HD video? This is something my ibook is not so great at. Does it depend more on the videocard or on the processor? I'm sure the 2gb of ram helps as the 64 are siphoned off for the video, a lot is still left over, correct?

Processor plays a big role, it has to process a lot of data. Video card helps too but I think you'd be fine with HD video.

The iBook had a G4 in it, not really good at HD stuff. The processor in the MacBook is faster than most Dual G5's, offering incredible performance.

The video card somewhat cripples the machine, but the machine is meant for gaming or professional crap. It is meant for the college student/consumer looking for a nice laptop.

gregjp48
Jul 14, 2007, 10:58 AM
Processor plays a big role, it has to process a lot of data. Video card helps too but I think you'd be fine with HD video.

The iBook had a G4 in it, not really good at HD stuff. The processor in the MacBook is faster than most Dual G5's, offering incredible performance.

The video card somewhat cripples the machine, but the machine is meant for gaming or professional crap. It is meant for the college student/consumer looking for a nice laptop.

Alright that's good. And it will still be able to run some pro software like Lightroom well. I'm not looking for a gaming machine at all, and I'm not running Final Cut Studio or anything similar. I may get into Final Cut Express HD if anything, but nothing like Motion or anything that advanced in the near future. As long as Final Cut Express and Lightroom work I'm really good to go.