Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macphisto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2002
At home
I have had two 1.6 Ghz G5s at two jobs. I was the first owner on both of them and I noticed that they both have the same problem. If I shut them down for any period of time and let them sit, when I reboot it goes through the motions, gray screen with apple logo, thinks, then it hits the blue screen which normally has the login window. It will sit there like that (occasionally I can hear some hard drive noise) but after awhile the fans will spin up to full speed, but no login screen ever appears.

The only work around I found to get it past this state, was to hard power cycle it, zap the PRAM (occasionally I had to do this numerous times, even booting in single user mode and doing a fsck didn't help) and then it would get past this hung state.

I thought had a bad card in my first G5 (it had the Radeon 9600 card in it, in fact, my coworker had the same computer, with the same problem, and he had to replace his card for another reason, but it still had the issue) but it turned out that it wasn't the problem. My second G5 had the Radeon 9800Pro SE, and still has the same problems.

My question, did anyone else ever see this and find a solution to it or get an answer from Apple about it? I have to leave my computer on constantly, which I would normally do anyway. I looked all over the apple forums and googled it and never found anything concrete. Can anyone shed some light on the matter?

MacPossum

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
I had a similar problem with my old PowerBook G4. It would get stuck on the blue screen right before login. Well I took it into the Apple Store and it turns out that the hard drive was shot. If you're hearing sounds from the hard drive there's a good chance that that's the problem. I know (at least on PCs) sounds coming from the hard drive usually mean it's about to go or it's already gone. Best bet would be to take it to an Apple Store and see what they have to say about it.

I really don't think it's a video card problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.