Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddohnggo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
hi, i was wondering if any of you knew good fw 400 or 800 external harddrives, and what they may run me, moneywise. thanks.

Juventuz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2002
Binghamton
Build your own, it's often times the cheapest.

I bought an external firewire case that came with everything I needed for $70 (a little steep) from a local computer store. I then bought a 120 gig HD from Staples, with the price match and rebates it cost me $49.95, it came the next day. It took about 10-15 minutes to put it all together and get it plugged in. So one day after I ordered the HD I had a 120 gig External HD for a total of $120.

Not too bad.

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
eBay!!

I got a good FW case from ebay for $40 shipped - took me a while to get such a good deal, but it was worth it. It is working perfectly at my side, even though it is a bit noisy.

jazzman45

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2003
lawrence, ks
do any of you have experience with a firewire enclosure for a DVD burner? I hope everything will work together.... Pioneer A05 and an Oxford 911 based ext box.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
If you can install a drive, you can put together an external one.

DVD-burning is one thing, reading is another. For some reason, you can't watch a video DVD through FW. I don't know if that's changed now. Haven't burned with an external DVD drive, but I would assume if you can encode the video, you can burn it. Unless you're just doing data or audio, in which case it should work just like CD burning. Just slower.

iDVD doesn't work with external drives though.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by jazzman45
do any of you have experience with a firewire enclosure for a DVD burner? I hope everything will work together.... Pioneer A05 and an Oxford 911 based ext box.
Best place to look would be http://www.xlr8yourmac.com

They do have a database that would also be of use

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso

Usually if somebody ran into problems with the firewire case and burning removing it from the case and dropping it in the machine usually eliminated problems. So firewire cases for burning are not always problem free, but they are far less problematic than the USB enclosures people tried.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.