Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
So although I've registered recently on Macrumor Forums (since I got the iPhone) I've been an active Howardforums member for years and a true mobile phone junkie. I always put screen protectors on all my phones so I've quite a lot of experience with different ones.

Today I got the Invisible Shield Full Body Skin for iPhone and was excited after all the positive reviews. I took it out and followed the directions to the T and in the end I was extremely disappointed, here are some reasons:

- The material is very flimsy and rubbery like the cheapo screen protectors you buy on eBay or old Fellowes ones. All the videos and screenshots made it look like a hard plastic but this is not the case

- Using the liquid does make applying it easy and avoids bubbles but the material is pretty crappy so even without bubbles there are ridges, dents, etc. in the screen cover which ruin the image on the iPhone screen. Unlike hard plastic screen protectors, the IS is designed to take the damage to protect your iPhone but this means the wear and tear will show on it which sucks

- Per their instructions I used the black squeegee to take out the water/air and this ended up scratching the screen cover, leaving a rather long gash down one side which is visible when using the iPhone. I'm not a moron I know how to use the squeegee idea but their piece of plastic is way too sharp and should be avoided. In the end I just used my fingers to press the water and air out but now I have a half damaged screen protector

- Even the areas that went on perfectly as they could don't provide a true "invisible" shield in that the PQ of the iPhone is effected...this again has to to with the rubber/flimsy quality in my opinion.

Now for the few positives:

+ The front cover is cutout perfectly for the screen with cutouts for the speaker and the home button, if you line it up right, it really fits just right

+ The back cover is very nice because it has flaps that cover the sides and they even include 4 tiny sticker like covers for the 4 rounded corners of the iPhone. So in the end your iPhone is FULLY covered EXCEPT for the metallic bezel around the front of it.

+ They give you the soap water solution in little spray bottles, although I recommend using regular tap water instead but that's just me.

Overall I'm disappointed given the hype and positive reviews of the product. The best screen protectors I've ever used were from Brando (Hong Kong) they make them with hard plastic and they truly are invisible...I'm going to see if they make any for the iPhone and order one. I'll definitely be keeping the Invisible Shield protectors for the back/side of the iPhone but the most important one for the screen will most likely have to be replaced.

Oh well, you live and you learn...again, IMHO the best screen protectors are those made in hard plastic - this is from a few years of experience. YMMV

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
FYI...Just checked out Brando and they have an iPhone one already!!

I just ordered it, it takes like 10-12 days usually for it to arrive from Hong Kong so will have to make do with IS until then. I'll post a review of the Brando one when I get it.

Their website is mobile.brando.com.hk. I got the BW Cellphone UltraClear S/P (Apple iPhone) (ULTCLEPRO0184).

Their ultraclear s/ps are amazing, I had one on my Pearl and other phones.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
So in the end your iPhone is FULLY covered EXCEPT for the metallic bezel around the front of it.

The only part of the iPhone that is actually susceptible to being scratched...

(I'm a happy InvisibleShield customer for iPod, but really the iPhone is not very scratchable in the first place except for the bezel.)

00hkelly

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
very interesting to hear this. I had a number of invisible shields for my ipods and although they were tricky to apply and did have a slightly rippled effect I never found this to have any affect on the display or its quality, I also found that they are basically indestructible and the few things that do scratch them dont leave marks for long as the shield has a self healing propertly.

i personally think that Invisible shields are the best protectors and I will be purchasing more.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Being a member of HoFo and phone junky I'm surprised this is the first time you have tried one of these skins.

They have their pros and cons.

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Being a member of HoFo and phone junky I'm surprised this is the first time you have tried one of these skins.

They have their pros and cons.

Like I mentioned once I discovered Brando Ultraclear screen protectors a year or so ago I never even looked at anything else. It's not just me, I got my friends into the Brando thing and they swear by it.

More people don't know about it because it's somewhat obscure, there's no real marketing and it comes from China! But I'm telling you the Brando screen protectors are absolutely amazing. Will be interesting to try it out when it comes.

I'm sure Invisible Shield and other Shieldzone products work well, just saying for the iPhone it could have been better. The main problem with a rubbery/flimsy cover is having miniscule folds or stretch marks or other problems that you can't get rid of without removing the whole thing.

At this point I'm going to keep the IS on until the Brando comes.

To give you an idea, I would easily say the Apple screen protection that comes on the iPhone out of the box is far better than the Invisible Shield, that's just my opinion.

Baumer

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I couldn't disagree more.

It's simple and it works. What's not to like?

I could not get it to go on smoothly. If you get one tiny speck of dirt on the thing, it shows up a huge spot after you put the film down. I think it would work well if you could get it on easily. Also, the box states that you can clean it and re-use it, but it does not have any instructions on how to do so. As soon as it get dirty, it seems to be worthless. How have you gotten it to work so well? Do you just tolerate the dots?

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I have the InvisibleShield on my phone, not an iPhone but a Windows Mobile Pocket PC device (a touch screen).

I personally think it does work great. Although the rubbery feel is true that it does make it feel cheap, I must in their defense that the thing REALLY TAKES A BEATING. Although it feels cheap, I have used knives, forks, keys, etc as a stylus for my phone and it NEVER shows any scratches. I have used it for about a year now and the thing is still scratch free despite it being in my pocket with my keys. So the wear and tear really for me atleast never showed up.

As for the application of the InvisibleShield, I must admit, that is a HUGE pain in the ass. For me personally I did find a good way of applying it. You literally SOAK the crap out of the thing with the sprayer that it included. This is so that the shield's adhesive becomes less sticky for the time being. Wiggle off the excess and apply. The squeegee usually will work better. And the squeegee in my opinion that was included sucked. I used my credit card and that worked alot better.

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
I could not get it to go on smoothly. If you get one tiny speck of dirt on the thing, it shows up a huge spot after you put the film down. I think it would work well if you could get it on easily. Also, the box states that you can clean it and re-use it, but it does not have any instructions on how to do so. As soon as it get dirty, it seems to be worthless. How have you gotten it to work so well? Do you just tolerate the dots?

They mention to install it in a dust free area and they aren't kidding.

The first one I tried to put on I had the problem you mention with a spot from a speck of dust. Then I paid attention to dust free and found a nice quiet wind free area and laid it down very quickly (they do give you 2).

That worked perfectly and now I don't have any dots on my screen.

I'll test it out but I would imagine that clean water would do the trick.

It's static cling and plastic so I don't see how water could hurt it.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
I could not get it to go on smoothly...How have you gotten it to work so well? Do you just tolerate the dots?
I had the complete opposite experience for me.

It was so unbelievably easy to put on, it just took a bit of aligning (started from the bottom of the iPhone), and I just pretty much let go and the film attached to the iPhone perfectly with no dust or bubbles trapped underneath, one of the most painless applications ever, and remembering back to the days when it took me 10 minutes to put on some similar products for some of my other devices with less than successful applications... I mean if you're taking long enough to put it on that dust gets trapped, or you're in some windy or extremely dusty area...maybe you might run into problems. Otherwise it should be fine.

The only reason why I got it is because I am loath to wipe off my iPhone whenever and with whatever I feel like wiping it off with, given all the fingerprint/oil/makeup/food that has gotten on it so far. I love it, you can't even tell that it's on here.

beate

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Also, the box states that you can clean it and re-use it, but it does not have any instructions on how to do so. As soon as it get dirty, it seems to be worthless. How have you gotten it to work so well? Do you just tolerate the dots?

Although I don't have that brand, I believe it's the same material & application as the Martin Fields screen protectors.
I've used them a lot and application is painstaking for me but I get through it.
The MF instructions say to use tape to get the lint off of the protector. (or wash it but I prefer to use the tape).

Use tape to lift one corner. Use tape on the film to remove the lint. I had many little bumps but with patience got my screen perfect. I didn't use a CC to get out bubbles as if you lay it slowly, there should be no bubbles exept those caused by lint.

I'll give the link to instructions.

http://www.martinfields.com/US/guide.asp

ddd269

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Torrance, CA
I'm sure Invisible Shield and other Shieldzone products work well, just saying for the iPhone it could have been better. The main problem with a rubbery/flimsy cover is having miniscule folds or stretch marks or other problems that you can't get rid of without removing the whole thing.

At this point I'm going to keep the IS on until the Brando comes.

To give you an idea, I would easily say the Apple screen protection that comes on the iPhone out of the box is far better than the Invisible Shield, that's just my opinion.

Maybe I can help with the following advice... No disrespect regarding your experience with these types of products. Just trying to help.

I think that your dissatisfaction about the invisible shield is due to lack of experience installing this type of material. You must be very careful as not to squeegee the film too hard. Since the shield is made of a very flexible (and cushy) material, you have to be careful not to stretch any part of the shield before it becomes tacky. That's the reason why there is stretch marks and/or folds. You have to practically soak the film to get good results, like someone earlier mentioned.

I've installed about 10 full body shields (ipod, MBP, MB x2, krzr, chocolate, treo 700w, 700p and now the iPhone) from shieldzone and I'm extremely happy with the protection that it provides for my devices. The amount of shock these things will take is incredible. For example, my wife throws her phones in her purse with her keys, nail stuff, makeup, etc. Not one scratch where the shield is covering.

Believe me, when you resell devices on ebay as much as I do, you'll appreciate the protection it gives. As a matter of fact, I mention on my selling description that I used the shiledzone stuff since new, and people know it's been taken care of and fetch it right away I even ask them if they want the shield on or removed before shipping and all of them wanted it on so far. Check my rating on ebay... ddd269

After the second install, I've learned to not stretch the material as i'm removing the water from the film. Also, it helps to spray the liquid on the outside of the film to smoothly pass the squeegee.

I do agree with you that the film will show a very fine "wave" when the light hits at certain angles, but does not affect the transparency at all when you view the screen at normal viewing angles. I've also noticed that the screen is less likely to smudge with this film on.

I highly recommend that you call shildzone and tell them that the install didn't come out as you expected and they'll send you a new kit (i think you have to pay for the shipping only and you have to return the old shield). Try installing again and let us know how it went! Good luck.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
I don't think it's fair to compare InvisShield on the iPhone to other non-touchscreen phones.

What people should be concerned about is how it "feels" on the iPhone.

Protection is the primary concern, but because it requires touch to use the iPhone, I think it's crucial how the film feels on it.

I bought a similar product for my MBP and when I applied the trackpad piece, it felt terrible. It had so much grip that I immediately took it off. I, personally would not like for that to happen w/ my iPhone, and that's what I read about InvisShield. For that factor alone, I would not purchase them.

From what I read, Power Support's film has a great slick feel to it. I wonder same of Brando, anyone have input?

Remember, this is not a standard phone where only protection is necessary, but also the feedback of the film since it's a full touchscreen!

Can you imagine having super gripy shoes everytime you go for a walk or run. :D Not good!

Rad

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
Does not cover chrome-colored plastic front frame

I have used Invisible Shield for a 60GB Video iPod and I have been very happy with the protection. However, the so called Total protection for the iPhone is actually not true - the front face chrome-colored plastic rim around the screen is NOT covered. There are many posts elsewhere warning that some rubber cases can rapidly wear off and destroy the finish of the chrome-like plastic front frame in just a few days. I had hoped to use the Invisible Shield product to first cover the iPhone to protect it against scratches - including those caused by cases themselves - then place it is a Speck rugged rubber case to provide impact protection (my poor old Treo had it's share of accidental falls!). Although the screen is protected well, the chrome frame is simply not covered. Fortunately, so far no problem with the Speck case, unlike some Incase products reported by others.

chemistslime

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
I have used Invisible Shield for a 60GB Video iPod and I have been very happy with the protection. However, the so called Total protection for the iPhone is actually not true - the front face chrome-colored plastic rim around the screen is NOT covered. There are many posts elsewhere warning that some rubber cases can rapidly wear off and destroy the finish of the chrome-like plastic front frame in just a few days. I had hoped to use the Invisible Shield product to first cover the iPhone to protect it against scratches - including those caused by cases themselves - then place it is a Speck rugged rubber case to provide impact protection (my poor old Treo had it's share of accidental falls!). Although the screen is protected well, the chrome frame is simply not covered. Fortunately, so far no problem with the Speck case, unlike some Incase products reported by others.

bestskinsever.com uses the same material as the shieldzone but for a fraction of the cost. Their cut also covers the chrome area, something that shieldzone does not.

fart

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
The Nation's Fartland
i COMPLETELY agree with you, the Invisible Shield is WORTHLESS.

just the other day, i was getting into a bit a tussle with the neighbors on the other side of the neutral zone. Well, lets just say, one thing lead to another, and the next thing you know, they're powering up weapons! :eek:

Nothing to worry about, right? I've got my "invisible shield", that should protect me, right?

Wrong.

Needless to say, we had to high tail it back to Federation space like a dog with it's tail between its legs, not something the Federation flagship should be seen doing.

In conclusion, the invisible shield not only failed to serve its purpose, it was the cause of incredible embarrassment on the part of the Federation, an event that will without doubt cause further trouble down the line in regards to Romulan-Federation relations.

UGH!

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
i COMPLETELY agree with you, the Invisible Shield is WORTHLESS.

just the other day, i was getting into a bit a tussle with the neighbors on the other side of the neutral zone. Well, lets just say, one thing lead to another, and the next thing you know, they're powering up weapons! :eek:

Nothing to worry about, right? I've got my "invisible shield", that should protect me, right?

Wrong.

Needless to say, we had to high tail it back to Federation space like a dog with it's tail between its legs, not something the Federation flagship should be seen doing.

In conclusion, the invisible shield not only failed to serve its purpose, it was the cause of incredible embarrassment on the part of the Federation, an event that will without doubt cause further trouble down the line in regards to Romulan-Federation relations.

UGH!

seriously...

what the hell?! :confused:

Baumer

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Although I don't have that brand, I believe it's the same material & application as the Martin Fields screen protectors.
I've used them a lot and application is painstaking for me but I get through it.
The MF instructions say to use tape to get the lint off of the protector. (or wash it but I prefer to use the tape).

Use tape to lift one corner. Use tape on the film to remove the lint. I had many little bumps but with patience got my screen perfect. I didn't use a CC to get out bubbles as if you lay it slowly, there should be no bubbles exept those caused by lint.

I'll give the link to instructions.

http://www.martinfields.com/US/guide.asp

Beate and Sobe, thanks for the help. I will try cleaning and reapplying. I guess you just need a little bit of patience and luck to get it on. If I can do it without any spots, I will probably never want to take it off.

ddd269

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Torrance, CA
I don't think it's fair to compare InvisShield on the iPhone to other non-touchscreen phones.

What people should be concerned about is how it "feels" on the iPhone.

Protection is the primary concern, but because it requires touch to use the iPhone, I think it's crucial how the film feels on it.

I bought a similar product for my MBP and when I applied the trackpad piece, it felt terrible. It had so much grip that I immediately took it off. I, personally would not like for that to happen w/ my iPhone, and that's what I read about InvisShield. For that factor alone, I would not purchase them.

From what I read, Power Support's film has a great slick feel to it. I wonder same of Brando, anyone have input?

Remember, this is not a standard phone where only protection is necessary, but also the feedback of the film since it's a full touchscreen!

Can you imagine having super gripy shoes everytime you go for a walk or run. :D Not good!

I think the screen feels fine... The screen feels as slick as the iphone glass screen. The iphone screen is "grabby" enough anyways, and the shieldzone cover feels no worse.

btw. If you read my post, it mentions several "touch screen" pdas, so my experience with them covers them too.

How the screen shield feels, is a matter of personal taste. I think you should make comments about products only after you tried them personally. Don't you think? Wh

And also... what's wrong with grippy shoes?

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
- Per their instructions I used the black squeegee to take out the water/air and this ended up scratching the screen cover, leaving a rather long gash down one side which is visible when using the iPhone. I'm not a moron I know how to use the squeegee idea but their piece of plastic is way too sharp and should be avoided. In the end I just used my fingers to press the water and air out but now I have a half damaged screen protector

How the hell did you pull that off?

brewser

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2006
I put the InvisiShield on about a week ago and it looks fantastic. You have to be patient and don't use the squeegee that comes with it. I just used my fingers and a credit card. I had a couple small bubbles but they dried up in a couple days and now it looks perfect. It did take me an hour to put it on - I am quite anal about these things. The trick really is to put a lot of solution on the film before applying. Make sure the iphone is completely clean and you have a dust free environment. I also put one on my Macbook and 2 ipods. I love this stuff!
I screwed up my first ipod and called the company and they sent out replacements right away. Class act!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.