Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
Hey guys,

My grandparents are Mac people and live in Florida, my parents have a ****ty old PC and live in Chicago. After checking out the iSight at the Apple store, I've decided that getting my parents an iMac (or eMac) with an iSight so they can video conference with my grandparents would be an awesome present. I don't really want to go crazy with buying stuff, as my parents don't do anything with their computer besides browsing the internet, word processing, and email checking. So in their case a new eMac is kind of going overboard. I'd like to get them on a Mac platform so they can use iChat AV and essentially do what they were doing on their PC.

Would an older iMac work, or do I need to spring for a newer iMac or eMac to run that software decently?

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Also I don't think iChat is compatible with M$ Netmeeting or MSN video chat program. So make sure the people you want to use iChat with all have recent Macs.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
We have run iSight and iChat AV quite well on a 400MHz G3 iMac, the first with FireWire. Pretty much, if you have a G3 with FireWire, I think you're safe, although maybe not officially supported. It got around 17 fps almost constantly, while the faster G4's got around 30, so it lags slightly, but it's still acceptable quality.

JW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.