PDA

View Full Version : iBook Dipped in Bathtub full of water (Video)

Smurfed
Jul 14, 2007, 05:35 PM
As title says:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Yw_SQ45JNkM

cal6n
Jul 14, 2007, 05:39 PM
I really hope that was his...

Sbrocket
Jul 14, 2007, 05:39 PM
Thanks, see you in the wasteland.

Smurfed
Jul 14, 2007, 05:41 PM
Reminded me of Terminator,

with the thumbs up wallpaper and being dipped in fluid.

queshy
Jul 14, 2007, 05:42 PM
Murder.....murder!!!!!!

BigPrince
Jul 14, 2007, 05:43 PM
this was stupid, but its an iBook, not a MacBook

mcmillan
Jul 14, 2007, 05:47 PM
Scary. According to the description, they are testing the insurance of Spanish retailer "Corte Inglés."

iMeowbot
Jul 14, 2007, 05:49 PM
I really hope that was his...
Yeah, in the description it says it's an insurance scam, the guy is apparently hoping to get a new MBP out of it.

MIDI_EVIL
Jul 14, 2007, 05:56 PM
Reminded me of Terminator,

with the thumbs up wallpaper and being dipped in fluid.

Yeah that was the 'theme'

You can hear him humming the music.

Rich.

EricNau
Jul 14, 2007, 05:59 PM
Yeah, in the description it says it's an insurance scam, the guy is apparently hoping to get a new MBP out of it.
And why would he expect them to replace his iBook with a MacBook Pro?

calculus
Jul 14, 2007, 06:01 PM

Good thing he didn't tell anyone about it then:rolleyes:

Kaiser Phoenix
Jul 14, 2007, 06:20 PM
Good thing he didn't tell anyone about it then:rolleyes:

Exactly...So much for the 'scam'

desenso
Jul 14, 2007, 06:23 PM
I really only had 2 hopes after watching this:

1 - The person perpetrating this pathetic little attempt at an insurance scam would be promptly electrocuted, despite his genius little dangling contraption...

2 - The insurance company does not replace this computer

Seeing as I have no evidence that (1) occurred, I now rest all my hopes on (2).

korndog2003
Jul 14, 2007, 06:28 PM
What an idiot... He could have given it to a kid with out a computer... :mad:

Mistershark
Jul 14, 2007, 06:31 PM
What a waste of 1 minute 25 seconds.

kinchee87
Jul 14, 2007, 06:32 PM
How uneventful ...

Osarkon
Jul 14, 2007, 06:37 PM
What a waste of an iBook, especially as it seemed to be functioning.

It's people like this who don't deserve a computer.

Mistershark
Jul 14, 2007, 07:09 PM
What a waste of an iBook, especially as it seemed to be functioning.

It's people like this who don't deserve a computer.

Let alone, a Mac!

roxnadz
Jul 14, 2007, 07:10 PM
Wow. There's just no low that people won't stoop to, now is there?

cal6n
Jul 14, 2007, 07:14 PM
I really only had 2 hopes after watching this:

1 - The person perpetrating this pathetic little attempt at an insurance scam would be promptly electrocuted, despite his genius little dangling contraption...

2 - The insurance company does not replace this computer

Seeing as I have no evidence that (1) occurred, I now rest all my hopes on (2).

Not only is there no evidence that (1) occurred, there was no possibility that it actually could... :rolleyes:

wongulous
Jul 14, 2007, 07:31 PM
If you think that wasting $800-1200 is a big deal, then you need to take a look around your daily life and society; this is nothing. People regularly throw away, waste, ruin, deface, lose, and gamble away amounts ten- and hundredfold this MacBook. Sure, it's sad, because I would have liked the MacBook... but then, I'd like the replacement MacBookPro, too.

In any case, it was a really dumb video. He could have made it quicker and with more of a splash, or had it playing music or a video, or at least put some kind of funny music in the background like the Jeopardy song. Why has YouTube zapped people of all creativity? I'll shush, that's another discussion entirely. :)

aquajet
Jul 14, 2007, 07:46 PM
If you think that wasting $800-1200 is a big deal, then you need to take a look around your daily life and society; this is nothing. People regularly throw away, waste, ruin, deface, lose, and gamble away amounts ten- and hundredfold this MacBook.

What's your point? It's still a juvenile and wasteful act, even if it's "only" a few hundred bucks.

You're the one who needs to take a look around. Lots of people could benefit from a useful piece of equipment like this iBook, but unfortunately can't afford one.

mayoko185
Jul 14, 2007, 09:33 PM
right after watching this a sad face poped up on my ipod, I think it is trying to tell me something...

Kilamite
Jul 15, 2007, 02:05 AM
It's people who do things like this on purpose that must really annoy people who did something like this by accident.

I'm sure I'd cry if this video brought back bad memories of a previous laptop doing some diving by accident.

freebooter
Jul 15, 2007, 02:22 AM
Why has YouTube zapped people of all creativity?

It hasn't zapped their creativity, but, rather, revealed their lack thereof.

Sbrocket
Jul 15, 2007, 02:25 AM
It hasn't zapped their creativity, but, rather, revealed their lack thereof.

Exactly. With the widespread availability of resources like Youtube, now Joe Schmoe can drown his expensive hardware for the whole world to see! Ugh...

iBookG4user
Jul 15, 2007, 02:28 AM
Wow, what an idiot. That was a waste of my time.

powermac_daddy
Jul 15, 2007, 02:36 AM
dude. i love this! hahaha...

ihave206bones
Jul 15, 2007, 02:41 AM
I was hoping that he had filled the bathtub with distilled water, and that the ibook would continue to function while submerged.

Sbrocket
Jul 15, 2007, 02:51 AM
I was hoping that he had filled the bathtub with distilled water, and that the ibook would continue to function while submerged.

This comment scares me.

An iBook cannot function while submerged in water, distilled or not...its still water.

ihave206bones
Jul 15, 2007, 06:54 AM
This comment scares me.

An iBook cannot function while submerged in water, distilled or not...its still water.

I've seen a video in the past where a computer was able to function underwater in a tub of deionized water, which is double-distilled water basically.

I would never do this to any computer I owned regardless. I pay too much money to take chances like that.

Killyp
Jul 15, 2007, 07:01 AM
What an idiot. Some of my friends would be over the moon for a computer like that, most of them don't have the money to even think about buying a second hand Mac.

I hope that guy was disappointed with the result, it could have at least blown up in the idiot's face or something...

eluk
Jul 15, 2007, 07:06 AM
…where a computer was able to function underwater in a tub of deionized water, which is double-distilled water basically.

So you think that double distilling removes the conductive properties of water? :(

spjonesi
Jul 15, 2007, 07:11 AM
Scary. According to the description, they are testing the insurance of Spanish retailer "Corte Inglés."

Weird...I didn't even think about it. I'm sitting here in Valencia, Spain right now at my in-laws for the summer. I was listening to the people talking not realizing that it -wasn't- English until about half way through the video. Then trying to figure out where the were...couldn't tell if they sounded Spanish or not because my little iBook doesn't go up very high in volume :(

BTW, El Corte Ingles is a bad ass department store here in Spain. Its kind of like Macy's, Von Maur, or Nordstrom. A lot of the store are way different than the States in terms of allowing returns. I don't know that El Corte Ingles will help him out, but we shall see. It seems like a shame to ruin a computer that works to test out their insurance policy.

joneSi

panoz7
Jul 15, 2007, 08:06 AM
So you think that double distilling removes the conductive properties of water? :(

It'll lower the conductivity a whole lot. I thought that the conductive properties of water had nothing to do with the water but rather the ions dissolved in it. I'm not chemist but it seems like if deionized water was entirely deionized it wouldn't be able to conduct any electricty.

Isn't the air mildly conductive also? There's got to be a few ions floating around in it. I'd imagine if you could deionize the water to the point that it's conductivity was the same as air the laptop would work just fine.

scaredpoet
Jul 15, 2007, 08:15 AM
BTW, El Corte Ingles is a bad ass department store here in Spain. Its kind of like Macy's, Von Maur, or Nordstrom. A lot of the store are way different than the States in terms of allowing returns.

Does their return policy cover deliberate acts like this? If a return policy is too liberal, the the retailer stands to lose a lot of money. Just think: anyone who bought merchandise there and decides for grins that they want it to be brand new again can just baptize their hardware, and then it's off to the store.

synth3tik
Jul 15, 2007, 08:22 AM
Oh wow yeah, look at that.

Someone flunked out of High School science.

Now if your going to do something stupid and destroy something that is $1000+, make sure you might learn something.

techlover828
Jul 15, 2007, 08:23 AM
poor ibook, so many kids could have enjoyed that, I hope that he doesn't get his money back

Kaiser Phoenix
Jul 15, 2007, 08:36 AM
It'll lower the conductivity a whole lot. I thought that the conductive properties of water had nothing to do with the water but rather the ions dissolved in it. I'm not chemist but it seems like if deionized water was entirely deionized it wouldn't be able to conduct any electricty.

Isn't the air mildly conductive also? There's got to be a few ions floating around in it. I'd imagine if you could deionize the water to the point that it's conductivity was the same as air the laptop would work just fine.

Yeah I thought that PURE water was not conductive at all but its the stuff in the water that made it?

dops7107
Jul 15, 2007, 08:58 AM
Pure water has resistance of 18.2 megaOhms, at least the stuff we get out of our purifier here in the lab. We have Mac laptops and a supply of 18.2 water. Would you like me to try an experiment?

elfin buddy
Jul 15, 2007, 09:08 AM
Pure water has resistance of 18.2 megaOhms <snip>

I think you mean 18.2 megaohm-cm. Watch those units ;)

eluk
Jul 15, 2007, 10:15 AM

Neither am I a chemist, maybe it is true. It surprises me though.

dops7107
Jul 15, 2007, 10:30 AM
I think you mean 18.2 megaohm-cm. Watch those units ;)

I know :o I realised my mistake a bit later when the whole subject piqued my curiosity and I did a little research... ah well, I'm a biologist who abandoned physics some time ago!

Besides conductivity, would there be any other reason water would kill electronics?

mrwizardno2
Jul 15, 2007, 12:22 PM
I know :o I realised my mistake a bit later when the whole subject piqued my curiosity and I did a little research... ah well, I'm a biologist who abandoned physics some time ago!

Besides conductivity, would there be any other reason water would kill electronics?

I don't think the hard drive would appreciate it, since it's vented. That's why they don't submerge them when they do those oil-cooled pc rigs. Still, it would be interesting (although sad) to see if it would still survive. Maybe try it with something other than a pretty laptop :-)

dornoforpyros
Jul 15, 2007, 12:26 PM
Meh boring video, at least the smash my ipod/xbox/wii/ps3/psp guys have some fun with their videos.

Or hell, he should have sent it off to the will it blend guys.

GoCubsGo
Jul 15, 2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks, see you in the wasteland.

This isn't wasteland material.

What I found funny is total failure the second it hit water!
Nice one.

spjonesi
Jul 15, 2007, 01:56 PM
Does their return policy cover deliberate acts like this? If a return policy is too liberal, the the retailer stands to lose a lot of money. Just think: anyone who bought merchandise there and decides for grins that they want it to be brand new again can just baptize their hardware, and then it's off to the store.

Ok, so let me be clear here...El Corte Ingles is -like- the stores that I mentioned. Even at those stores you can return a pair of warn out shoes that you bought from them, saying that you didn't like how they've held up (I know people who have done this, I am sad to say), but in Spain the retailers do -NOT- have a liberal return policy. It is a 15 day like it or leave it from ECI (El Corte Ingles), and that is WAY better than most. The typical Spaniard, well at least in Valencia, would have too much fun with a return policy similar to what we have in the States.

With that said Señor, this moron was going to see about their full coverage -insurance- that would be similar to an Applecare, though sold by the retailer to cover any and -all- damage (though I could assume that deliberate damage is excluded. I am half tempted to go to my nearest ECI (there are at least 10 in Valencia) and tell them about this. But what are the chances that

A. They would get the word out to other ECI's in Spain.
2. The person I would talk to would care.
D. I am going to get off my lazy a$$ and do it.

All don't have a very good possibility, the beach is REALLY nice in Valencia this time of year, so that COMPLETELY rules out D ;)

I just keep thinking to myself that this re-tread is driving up the price of such accidental coverage by accidentally on purpose 'dropping' his iBook into a bathtub. What a butt-face.

spjoneSi

Bern
Jul 15, 2007, 04:26 PM
Just some spoilt brat wasting a computer because he wants mummy and daddy to buy him a new one and no doubt they will.

juanm
Jul 15, 2007, 07:03 PM
A. They would get the word out to other ECI's in Spain.
2. The person I would talk to would care.
D. I am going to get off my lazy a$$ and do it.

All don't have a very good possibility, the beach is REALLY nice in Valencia this time of year, so that COMPLETELY rules out D ;)

spjoneSi

Well, I'm in Valencia too... and I've some spare time, lately...
One funny thing to do would be to put this video in full screen on one of the 24 inchers they have for demo... Maybe they'd care, then...

The only thing is, I hate this company (ECI), their policies (except for their insurances!) and their methods... so I'm gonna go to the beach too...
What are you doing here? Uni?

Cybergypsy
Jul 15, 2007, 07:10 PM
What a jerk!

mainomega
Jul 15, 2007, 07:28 PM
water (h2o) does not conduct electricity. The minerals in tap water (ions) allow water to conduct electricity. Get a continuity tester and try it out. I dropped an old pc into mineral oil (it was a little craze a few years ago) for "silent cooling" and it worked fine... just a little messy

aquajet
Jul 15, 2007, 07:35 PM
I've spent more money on my MBP CD than any other computer. No way in hell I would ever consider dumping it in a bathtub full of water. Why in hell would anybody want to do that? I bet his daddy bought it for him. Probably a spoiled piece of ****.

I remember when I was a small child, my friends and I decided it would be funny to repeatedly crash my scooter into the curb. My father saw this and marched down the neighborhood street and proceeded to beat my ass. That was a valuable lesson in life for me... :o

juanm
Jul 15, 2007, 07:53 PM
Well, just to give some insight of the person who did this..

Here you can see him sitting on a chair, and somebody throws mac and cheese at him.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6bmlL3G55pc

In this video we can see him doing things with his eyes, misspelling "croissant"... and something hitting his face again in slow motion.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=J8UxyV-cPTY

[Adult content] This time, he pretends to have sex with some kind of stuffed monkey or teddy bear.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gw7292JYs8s

And another one, eating a shoe (a flip flop, apparently) :confused:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OdCuxInhnzc

hexonxonx
Jul 15, 2007, 10:04 PM
That truely hurts to see people do these things to innocent macs.:(

RichL
Jul 15, 2007, 10:26 PM
That truely hurts to see people do these things to innocent macs.:(

It's only a computer.

iTone
Jul 15, 2007, 10:29 PM

Here you can see him sitting on a chair, and somebody throws mac and cheese at him.

In this video we can see him doing things with his eyes, misspelling "croissant"... and something hitting his face again in slow motion.

[Adult content] This time, he pretends to have sex with some kind of stuffed monkey or teddy bear.

typical stupid hot guy. but yeah he's hot. lol.

hexonxonx
Jul 15, 2007, 10:55 PM
It's only a computer.
Tell that to your mac. :p

powerbuddy
Jul 15, 2007, 11:25 PM

:eek: Now I truly feel sorry for the iBook!

juanm
Jul 16, 2007, 01:45 AM
I'd have expected, at least, to see someone smashing the iBook on his face! And in slow motion, please!

:p

Bern
Jul 16, 2007, 02:13 AM
The guy is obviously a sandwich short of a picnic

spjonesi
Jul 16, 2007, 04:12 AM
Well, I'm in Valencia too... and I've some spare time, lately...
One funny thing to do would be to put this video in full screen on one of the 24 inchers they have for demo... Maybe they'd care, then...

The only thing is, I hate this company (ECI), their policies (except for their insurances!) and their methods... so I'm gonna go to the beach too...
What are you doing here? Uni?

I'm here with my wife and her parents live here 'cause they are Spanish. The only problem is that if you wanted to put it on 24 inchers they have them all kinds of locked down for any kind of access.

I'm not very familiar with any of their policies or practices, but I can see why some might say that. They are THE department store over here. Big and getting bigger all the time. Some may not like that.

Ahhh, yes, the beach. I go pretty much every day, lol. Not to Las Arenas on Sat or Sun though, too busy for me M-F just fine there, and only a few tram stops away. Weekend we go to El Puig or Pobla. I start going -back- to College to get a few more degrees (comp. sci. and management information systems) in September (but we'll be back in the states then). I'm just on 'holiday' right now :)

Back at it. This guy still sucks. And should be relegated to the POS 7 year old dell that my sister in law uses here (we gave it to her 3 years ago). He should be forced to use that forever. Period.

spjoneSi

4np
Jul 16, 2007, 07:55 AM
If you look more closely at the reflection in the water you can see the guy that drowned that iBook! :o

Queso
Jul 16, 2007, 08:46 AM
Disgusting. Truly. Not just the monetary value of the computer but the wastefulness of it all. **** like this is why we're ****ing up the planet.

Osarkon
Jul 16, 2007, 11:12 AM
If you look more closely at the reflection in the water you can see the guy that drowned that MacBook! :o

Hah awesome!

It's an iBook by the way. Can someone change the thread title to reflect this if possible, it's misleading. :)

eluk
Jul 16, 2007, 11:39 AM
If you look more closely at the reflection in the water you can see the guy that drowned that MacBook! :o

Could that be the young Bill Gates?

Cybergypsy
Jul 16, 2007, 11:42 AM
bill Gates son...lol

mBurns
Jul 16, 2007, 01:49 PM
This is the reason insurance costs keep going up...

thesdx
Jul 16, 2007, 03:34 PM
What a waste. Hey, you should have sent that iBook to ME! :(

killerrobot
Jul 16, 2007, 04:27 PM
His comment says el Corte Inglés replaced his powerbook for a new MBP. Not sure I believe him, but I do believe el Corte Inglés deserves to get screwed over every once in a while, but not nearly as much as this dude that would conceive of this powerbook drowning.:(