Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
I just picked up these headphones earlier today my local Apple Store. The box is very small and only contains a few items. The plastic packaging looks hard to open but if you squeeze it together a little, you will find it will simply unfold; there was no need for me to whip out an X-acto knife.

Inside you will find the V-MODA headphones with the clear, small-fitted ear cushions already in place, a carrying baggy, and inside are the remainder of the ear fittings: S,M,L black and M,L clear.

The baggy is of a soft leather, in a way close to pleather, that is meant for carrying the headphones. What is nice about the baggy is that it does not close by a pull string like most, rather a rigid plastic that snaps straight. In order to open it, you simply squeeze the sides and the mouth of the bag will open, and when you let go, the plastic snaps back straight closing the baggy.

The length of the headphones are approximately equal to that of the stock Apple Earphones that come with the iPhone, if not a few millimeters longer. The build of the earphones are sturdy, for that most of the materials used in the earphones are consistent. There are 4 metal portions to the earphones: 1) the casing of the earbuds themselves 2) the microphone, which is that only that, no buttons 3) the divider that splits it from one cord to two separate portions, and the metal casing around the connector tip. The metal is a thick material that is very hard to bend and feel they can stand a moderate bangs against hard surfaces, no plastic anywhere, except for the following part...

There is a clip that attaches to your shirt to keep the microphone stabilized near your mouth. Unfortunately, this clip is similar to that of my most earphones that contain a black plastic "alligator-like" clip. If you tug at it enough, I'm sure that you might lose this clip as it is held on by tucking the cord into a small hook.

The cord itself is made from a nylon material. Many people may find their skin sensitive to this material, but it is softer than most generic brands that use this kind of material for their headphones. It will be rare to find this material irritating your skin because these are not the type of headphones where one side is longer to rest on the back of your neck, but sides are equal in length.

The call quality is great. I created a voicemail greeting with the earphones, and unlike the stock Apple headphones, I did not have to hold up the microphone to my mouth to get a clear sound, I just hooked the clip to my shirt and talked away. It picked up very minimal background, but other than that, the sound was clear and did not sound muffled. I called about 3 people, and all 3 of them had reported that they did not know I was on a headset, even saying that the call quality had improved over actually just using the handset.

Listening to music is the one area that could be improved. Please do not get me wrong, these earphones sound great: good full bass, clear, nice isolated listening environment. But I come from a background of high-end earphone such as Shure E3C/E4C & Etymotic ER-6i's, and I have heard what good isolating earphones sound like. For $100, these earphones are comparable to the Shure E2C, with the Shure's having a slight edge over them in clarity.

These are a solid build, and well worth the money that you pay for them. I am disappointed there was no simple answer/pause/track next button implemented like how Apple had cleverly put into their stock headphones. I workout with my iPhone with it slipped into a hip-pack, and I tested the legnth when it was on either hip or even on my back, and the cord was comfortable with slack to spare.

I'll update this review when I take it for a jog tomorrow afternoon. But the initial impressions are that I will be enjoying these earphones when I anticipate receiving calls while I'm listening to music or working out. I know that I will be resorting to higher-end earphones such as my Shure's later on, but for now these will fill in the task of a hybrid earphone and headset.

alabare

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
Picked these up earlier today myself. I'm actually pleased all the way around. I believe these headphones blow away the stock apple headphones. And to be perfectly honest, I can see these replacing my bose noise canceling phones.

I love the ear fit. No worries there on that end. Small size worked best for me. I love the nylon cord. Reminds me of electronics from the days when all cords were wrapped in a nylon type material. Used to see these things when visiting my grandparents.

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
I got a pair as a gift today. :) They sound great compared to the stock earbuds, but everyone I talk to says they hear too much background noise and everything they as well as I say has an echo. The next version is supposed to have the phone/ipod controls built in. Hopefully they will fix the mic level as well.

sJv

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Sierra Foothills, CA
I am disappointed there was no simple answer/pause/track next button implemented like how Apple had cleverly put into their stock headphones.

I sent an e-mail to V-moda asking about adding a control button and their reply was:

"The next generation of the DUO, set to come out next month, will come
equipped with the answer/play/pause/skip control! This feature with
provide the convenience you are looking for."

-steve

dadsp33k

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2007
Parkville, MD
I sent an e-mail to V-moda asking about adding a control button and their reply was:

"The next generation of the DUO, set to come out next month, will come
equipped with the answer/play/pause/skip control! This feature with
provide the convenience you are looking for."

-steve

gee, that makes me feel great about buying these already. :(

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Well, thank goodness there is no restocking fee for accessories at the Apple Store. Looks like these will have to go back the 14th day of:rolleyes:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I bought and returned the Duo in 1 day. The fit was fine, the isolation was good, but the sound was waaay too bassy and muddy. Highs sounded tinny, mids sounded wrapped in cotton, and bass sounded like I had my head inside a sub-woofer. It's funny because lots of Vibe reviews say they're not for "bassheads", and that bassheads should get the Sennheiser CX300s. Maybe I got a dud pair? I'm coming from Sony EX71 and the CX300, so I'm pretty familiar with a proper fit on these type of buds...fit was definitely not the issue. It almost sounded as if the polarity was reversed on the wiring.

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
I bought and returned the Duo in 1 day. The fit was fine, the isolation was good, but the sound was waaay too bassy and muddy. Highs sounded tinny, mids sounded wrapped in cotton, and bass sounded like I had my head inside a sub-woofer. It's funny because lots of Vibe reviews say they're not for "bassheads", and that bassheads should get the Sennheiser CX300s. Maybe I got a dud pair? I'm coming from Sony EX71 and the CX300, so I'm pretty familiar with a proper fit on these type of buds...fit was definitely not the issue. It almost sounded as if the polarity was reversed on the wiring.

I think it depends on the type of music you listen to, but in general you are right on about your initial impressions. It helps if you set the EQ to "increase treble". :p I'm used to the Shure E3's and so the sound is definitely muddier, but they sound a lot better than the apple earbuds. I enjoy them though. The Vibes sound like your in a club, while my Shures were more like a concert hall. I can be in the mood for both. :)

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Indeed, most buds sound better than the stock iPhone buds. But for 2x the price of Senn CX300s, I'll have to pass on the Duos. The CX300s are as good if not better than any buds I've heard in any price range. Not wanting a dangly extension cord though, I'm currently using the Apple in-ear buds, and they're really not too shabby. Please Sennheiser, bring on the CX300i!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.