PDA

View Full Version : Phish to use iMacs/iTunes at concerts for customized cds.

medea
Jul 22, 2003, 07:54 PM
I'm no fan of phish, in any way, but this is cool. They plan on having a tent that houses several iMacs that fans can use to make personal mix cd's.
"Amidst the commotion will be a tranquil, well-lit, air-conditioned tent to create your own custom FREE Live Phish CD. Create a playlist from hundreds of Live Phish tracks preloaded onto a couple dozen iMacs, burn a CD on iTunes, and walk out with a great mix for the ride home. Or if you've had your fill of Phish, come on in, check your email, check the scores -- whatever your pleasure. Special thanks to Apple Computer for providing the iMacs and Verbatim for providing the top quality blank media."

http://www.phish.com/news/index.php?year=2003#story121

rainman::|:|
Jul 22, 2003, 08:09 PM
two dozen iMacs... gee, i wonder if there will be a line...

if there were only a way to get the iMacs to dispense mescaline... hehe

seriously tho, very interesting, i'd heard of several other attempts at live CDs... but this one is pretty different, first one i've heard uses Macs, and you can actually use the computer yourself... I'd imagine the other ones simply have big disc duplicators behind a counter... Like i said tho, i'd have definite concerns about the number of people trying to use these, especially if you can use them for other things...

pnw

Royal Pineapple
Jul 23, 2003, 10:54 AM
there must be a timelimit or people like me would be on them for the whole concert, wonder how much the internet will cost em, will they have the same isp wherever they go?

dave1234
Jul 23, 2003, 04:44 PM
Well I enjoy phish alot, I am a definate fan. When I got iTunes with my computer and learned some phish tunes came already on I was pleasently suprised, but I have heard that other bands try to do the same thing and it doesnt reall y work, and i dont think 24 iMacs are gunna get all of that done, not to say it is slow by any means they are great machines. But I think there will be too many people to get these done.

Abstract
Jul 23, 2003, 05:19 PM
That's a cool idea.

It would be cool if there was a way to come out with a live copy of the concert. Say you were to wait around for 45 minutes after the concert. That should give them time to burn CD's for people to purchase. I know that I would have stuck around if Coldplay offered a copy of their concert for me to purchase 45 or 60 minutes after their concert.

This is cool too, but it takes away from the concert. Computer nerds would just be staring at the computers instead of listening to the music being played.