Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luigi239

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
Hey everybody, I have an old iMac g3 that I got off of ebay for 20$. (I did local pickup) It's an indigo with a 6gb hdd, 333mhz with 64mb of ram. (tray loader) It's in near perfect condition, and works perfectly.

Although it boots OS 9 great, I have no use for OS 9 at all. Do you think this machine could handle Panther? I was thinking of upgrading the ram to at least 256, and probably higher. (Whats the most ram these Rev D tray loaders can handle?) I was also thinking about upgrading the HDD with a faster one. The space isn't the issue, but didn't all the iMacs use slow 4200rpm drives? Is there anything else I should upgrade before putting panther on?

Also, where is the best place to buy ram? Crucial seems expensive, and only goes up to 256mb. Will 3d party ram work ok? I found a few knockoffs online that were cheap, and as long as they work, I don't care the brand. Also, where can I buy a cheap, 5200 or 7500rpm hdd?

CRAZYBUBBA

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Toronto/Houston
Hi. I hate to tell you this, but the max ram is 512 on those models. (IIRC)

I have a 350mhz imac g3. I put in a 80 gb 7200 rpm HD and its very quiet and efficent. I also upped the ram to 1 gb (max on my model). Panther runs great.

Luigi239

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
Hi. I hate to tell you this, but the max ram is 512 on those models. (IIRC)

I have a 350mhz imac g3. I put in a 80 gb 7200 rpm HD and its very quiet and efficent. I also upped the ram to 1 gb (max on my model). Panther runs great.

That's good to hear. I was planning on spending 30$ to get a 256mb stick. That and the 64mb stick would be 320mb, which should be good enough for just word, adium, and camino. Then I can eventually upgrade the ram to the max when I get the money.

hatchet92882

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
Kentucky
you must of baught yous from the same one i baught mine from. I paid 20 also. mine is a 333 256, 6g hd and running panther, altho a little glitchy it don't do half bad.

Luigi239

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
you must of baught yous from the same one i baught mine from. I paid 20 also. mine is a 333 256, 6g hd and running panther, altho a little glitchy it don't do half bad.

Heh, no, I live around Baltimore, and unless you flew out from Kentucky, I doubt we bought it from the same person. ;)

What are the glitches that you have experienced? What are the load times like? I'm just trying to figure out if upgrading this is worth the 80$.

Thanks!

hatchet92882

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
Kentucky
well, i use mine for internet, e-mail. I dunno if its firefox but the internet is glitchy, don't even try myspace, lol. i love the look of the g3 but man are they SLOW!!!

Luigi239

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
well, i use mine for internet, e-mail. I dunno if its firefox but the internet is glitchy, don't even try myspace, lol. i love the look of the g3 but man are they SLOW!!!

Er...now you're scarring me. :p I want it to be usable, but also don't want to have to wait 10min. for a web page to come up.

Do you really think its worth the 80$ im going to spend on it?

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I used panther on my G3 400 imac for almost a year. When online, the speed certainly was acceptable and wasn't much of a factor in my desicison to upgrade to a G5 imac a couple of years ago.

Definitely max out the ram and use an external HD if you need more storage space, that's my suggestion

Luigi239

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
I used panther on my G3 400 imac for almost a year. When online, the speed certainly was acceptable and wasn't much of a factor in my desicison to upgrade to a G5 imac a couple of years ago.

Definitely max out the ram and use an external HD if you need more storage space, that's my suggestion

Allright, well that makes me feel better.

I only plan on using this for internet, so storage should not be an issue. I have an external, but I'm not sure I would want to use it, cause this iMac only has USB 1.1, which is way to slow.

Thanks for all the responses! I plan on buying the 256mb ram stick tonight, and Panther shortly after. (If anybody has a copy of panther for sale...drop me a PM or look at my thread in the marketplace)

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
make it a fishtank :p.

Jk,

What you really should do with it is find out how to mod it somehow.

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
If you like the look... do what I plan on doing (in the next few months)

Wait a while until you can afford some better internal parts and use the casing for a kick ass machine. I plan on taking a low end mini i got for cheap a bit and putting it into a imac casing. Apparently a few people have done this and it's possibe with a little fanagling to get the current monitor plugged into it with an adapter or two and mounting it so the drive is usable.

I have to say that is gonna be a joyous project once I get around to it :)

A little more costly then your 80 dollars and I know you don't actually NEED it for anything intensive, but, it could be fun :)

I really loved my old green imac I had. THAT was an AWESOME machine. hehe.

I think your happy little g3 machine will be more then enough for what you need it for after updating the ram though. Goodluck!

hatchet92882

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
Kentucky
Er...now you're scarring me. :p I want it to be usable, but also don't want to have to wait 10min. for a web page to come up.

Do you really think its worth the 80$ im going to spend on it?

don't get me wrong i love my computer but with it being a "old" mac there really isn't much to do with it. This for me is my feeler mac, i've never owned one and i have to say i love it, my beautiful wife is letting me have some tax money and i'm getting a mini or g4 imac, haven't decided. anything you put in there is going to be better than what it has, worth 80??? thats your call. I dunno what is making it so slow, bet those adds on the side take a while, yahoo mail takes a min, if you don;t mind waiting. Anyways good luck on whatever you decide to do

Luigi239

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
Thanks everybody for your replies. I think I'm going to go ahead and spend the money...except after opening the case to see how much ram is in it, it won't turn on...hense my new thread. (please don't be a fried logic board)

Gahhh!

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Thanks everybody for your replies. I think I'm going to go ahead and spend the money...except after opening the case to see how much ram is in it, it won't turn on...hense my new thread. (please don't be a fried logic board)

Gahhh!

This is why you need an anti-static wrist band.

Luigi239

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
This is why you need an anti-static wrist band.

Didn't have one at the time, but I made sure to discharge all of my static several times. I also worked on a concrete floor, not carpet to make sure nothing would happen.

Luigi239

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
Fixed!

After re-seating the processor card, the iMac now works fine again. I'm going to buy panther and the ram tonight. Thanks again for the input...when I'm done it should be a great little machine.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
fileserver!!!! hook a few external firewire drives, put in a big internal drive and your laughing... thats what id do.

seems a bit old but it can run tiger, i have a g3 imac dv and it runs it fine.

Cosmoza

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2007
Finland
Amazingly the latest Tiger (10.4.10) runs about 22% faster compared maxed 10.3.9 on my G3 350Mhz iMac. At the moment have 576mb memory only (trying to locate cheap 512mb module) and 60Gb maxtor hd. Have to install the Tiger using Xpostfacto naturally.

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Amazingly the latest Tiger (10.4.10) runs about 22% faster compared maxed 10.3.9 on my G3 350Mhz iMac. At the moment have 576mb memory only (trying to locate cheap 512mb module) and 60Gb maxtor hd. Have to install the Tiger using Xpostfacto naturally.

Why did you have to use Xpostfacto to install?

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
Actually, the 350 is kind of an exception to the firewire rule. It is a slot loading imac. It just doesn't have firewire as a cheapo version that was for sale at the same time as the 400 sl imacs. You should be able to install tiger without xpostfacto. Search the threads, people have done it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.