Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blackintosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
I recently purchased two gigs of ram from Crucial to get my Mac mini with 512 mb up to 2GB of Ram. I followed directions properly and the ram worked fine for about 48 hours. I shut down my computer after working on it for a few hours, and everything seemed fine, until I tried to reboot my computer and it wouldn't power up at all. This all happened Friday July 13th, 2007:eek: I attempted to reset the PRAM with no success. I finally called Apple care and they told me the Samsung ram may not actually work properly with my mac mini. I've since ordered two Micron GBs from OWC, since that is the brand that was originally in my mac mini.

The Problem is since the Samsung ram has acted up, my mac mini will only reconize one of the two ram slots. I'm stuck running on 256mb until My new Ram shows up. :mad:

My Question is my ram slot completely trashed from the Samsung sticks of Ram, or is it there a chance that the new ram could fix this? Any sort of assistance would be appreciated.

Blackintosh

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
I recently purchased two gigs of ram from Crucial to get my Mac mini with 512 mb up to 2GB of Ram. I followed directions properly and the ram worked fine for about 48 hours. I shut down my computer after working on it for a few hours, and everything seemed fine, until I tried to reboot my computer and it wouldn't power up at all. This all happened Friday July 13th, 2007:eek: I attempted to reset the PRAM with no success. I finally called Apple care and they told me the Samsung ram may not actually work properly with my mac mini. I've since ordered two Micron GBs from OWC, since that is the brand that was originally in my mac mini.

The Problem is since the Samsung ram has acted up, my mac mini will only reconize one of the two ram slots. I'm stuck running on 256mb until My new Ram shows up. :mad:

My Question is my ram slot completely trashed from the Samsung sticks of Ram, or is it there a chance that the new ram could fix this? Any sort of assistance would be appreciated.

Blackintosh

What you may need to do is get a flashlight and magnifying glass and inspect the pins on the memory, and then the slots. Hopefully is is just a seating problem. I feel your pain. This is a dicey operation. I still have one Mini flashing a folder (with a question mark on it) at me. The retainer for the drive cable came off during disassembly. I thought I got it back together, but maybe not. That is MY afternoon project.

Blackintosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Found the problem, but not a solution

I figured out while checking out the ram slots with a flashlight that the slot is malfunctioning not the original ram. I haven't figured out how to tell what is a good pin and what is a bad one. There isn't a pin sticking out. I have a feeling that I won't have to send this away. Thank for the help and if you have anymore pointers, PLEASE inform me.

Blackintosh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.