PDA

View Full Version : Headphone jacks for Bose don't work w/ iPhone!

rickhahn
Jul 15, 2007, 04:37 PM
I was absolutely dismayed that neither my Bose Noise-Cancelling phones or the NEW Bose ear buds will work with my iPhone! (they don't plug in far enough) Anyone else encountered this? Any workarounds?

Turkish
Jul 15, 2007, 04:41 PM
I was absolutely dismayed that neither my Bose Noise-Cancelling phones or the NEW Bose ear buds will work with my iPhone! (they don't plug in far enough) Anyone else encountered this? Any workarounds?

http://images.belkin.com/F8Z177/STD1_F8Z177.jpg

Belikin (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=374491)

iph0ne
Jul 15, 2007, 06:28 PM
Yeup, some prob. I have the same earphones, the QC2 and the In-ear ones but both don't fit...but like..the person said above, you can just buy a jack...and they'll work. :]

cmschmidt
Jul 15, 2007, 07:35 PM
wow. you really don't bother to search at all do you.

shk718
Jul 17, 2007, 03:11 PM
Yeup, some prob. I have the same earphones, the QC2 and the In-ear ones but both don't fit...but like..the person said above, you can just buy a jack...and they'll work. :]

or take an excto knife and trim the plastic around the end of the headphone jack - my QC3's fit perfectly now.

megfilmworks
Jul 27, 2007, 10:56 PM
Try the Shure iPhone adapter with mic and switch

keithos27
Jul 30, 2007, 08:31 AM
Are either the Belkin or Shure adapters available for purchase anywhere yet (in store)?

JPyre
Jul 30, 2007, 09:16 AM
or take an excto knife and trim the plastic around the end of the headphone jack - my QC3's fit perfectly now.

This is exactly what I did with my FM-tuner and headphones. Don't be afraid, it's just solid metal surrounded by rubber, and you only need to trim a 1/4 inch. Much better solution than spending money on that ugly 3 inch adaptor.

applehero
Jul 30, 2007, 09:18 AM
Are either the Belkin or Shure adapters available for purchase anywhere yet (in store)?

I have seen the Belkin one in my Apple store, haven't looked for the Shure adapter, but I would be it's there as well.

jlanuez
Jul 30, 2007, 09:10 PM
Doesn't anyone else here want to use their Bose QC3's with the QC3 Cell Connect (http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=qc3_headphones_accessories#tabs) accessory kit so we can us all of the ipod and PHONE functions (microphone!), like if we were using the crappy Apple headset????

What do we do?????!!!!!!!

hotsauce
Jul 31, 2007, 12:51 PM
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

Doesn't anyone else here want to use their Bose QC3's with the QC3 Cell Connect (http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=qc3_headphones_accessories#tabs) accessory kit so we can us all of the ipod and PHONE functions (microphone!), like if we were using the crappy Apple headset????

What did you just say?

megfilmworks
Jul 31, 2007, 01:09 PM

Bose QC3's phone adapter does not work with the iPhone. Bose say's they will come out with one soon. I can't wait so I bought the Shure adapter.

jlanuez
Jul 31, 2007, 01:54 PM
Bose QC3's phone adapter does not work with the iPhone. Bose say's they will come out with one soon. I can't wait so I bought the Shure adapter.

Do you have the adapter yet? Does it work correctly? :confused:
Please give some details, thanks!

megfilmworks
Jul 31, 2007, 02:38 PM
Do you have the adapter yet? Does it work correctly? :confused:
Please give some details, thanks!It's on the truck for delivery, I'll post as soon as I get it, probably around 4-5 pt

jlanuez
Jul 31, 2007, 04:09 PM
It's on the truck for delivery, I'll post as soon as I get it, probably around 4-5 pt

Great, I have the Bose QC3 Cell Connect kit (have 30 days to return it), and want to see a few things before i return it:

1) if the Shure works
2) if the Shure works stand-alone
3) or if the Shure works but I still need parts from the Bose kit.

Looking forward to hearing about your test!
~Jeffrey

megfilmworks
Jul 31, 2007, 07:14 PM
Okay, I just got my Shure MPA.

It works exactly like the iPhone ear buds. The switch on the back of the dual port mic pauses with 1 click, advances with two clicks. Answers and hangs up call. Mic sounds great, of course the Bose QC sound great as well. They plug right in the the top of the mic. Perfect!
Only bad, another 3' of cord. (my guess at the measurement)

jlanuez
Jul 31, 2007, 07:24 PM

It works exactly like the iPhone ear buds. The switch on the back of the dual port mic pauses with 1 click, advances with two clicks. Answers and hangs up call. Mic sounds great, of course the Bose QC sound great as well. They plug right in the the top of the mic. Perfect!

Which exact Bose cord are you referring to that you are using with it? The original cord you used the QC3's with just a regular iPod?

So, I can order this Shure part & return the Bose Cell Connect kit?

jlanuez
Jul 31, 2007, 07:32 PM

Almost forgot to ask you....
Apple.com quotes 2-3 weeks. And shure.com says it is not available yet.

Where did you buy it?

megfilmworks
Jul 31, 2007, 07:41 PM
Almost forgot to ask you....
Apple.com quotes 2-3 weeks. And shure.com says it is not available yet.

Where did you buy it?

The adapter is 3ft aprox from plug to mic. Just plug your QC cord into the Shure and voila!! I am using it with my iPhone and I ordered it Friday night. Got it today Fedex ground $4.00 shipping from Apple web site.

megfilmworks
Jul 31, 2007, 07:43 PM
I see the 2-3 week delay now...they must be sold out. Last Friday when it came out it was a 24 hour ship.

jlanuez
Aug 1, 2007, 10:30 AM
I see the 2-3 week delay now...they must be sold out. Last Friday when it came out it was a 24 hour ship.

Thanks for sharing all this info, will order it.

ORDERED (1-2 week shipping).

DXoverDY
Aug 5, 2007, 08:29 PM
I'm quite familiar with Bose headphones.

The only Bose headphones that will work with the iPhone are the Bose OE Headphones. The new On-Ear style.

I have a pair of QC3s and was inquiring about the cell phone connect kit and the official word is that sometime this fall we will be seeing a second version of the cell phone connect kit.

I will be inquiring further in hopes of finding out whether or not the connect kit will have a button on the mic for play/pause/next/answer/etc.

If anything, I'll hopefully get them to release a small adapter or short cord for connecting the QC3/QC2 headphones to the Shure MPA, without having a 3' cord attached to it.

It sounds as though they've been working on this second cell phone connect kit for awhile now.

megfilmworks
Aug 5, 2007, 08:35 PM
I'm quite familiar with Bose headphones.

The only Bose headphones that will work with the iPhone are the Bose OE Headphones. The new On-Ear style.

I have a pair of QC3s and was inquiring about the cell phone connect kit and the official word is that sometime this fall we will be seeing a second version of the cell phone connect kit.

I will be inquiring further in hopes of finding out whether or not the connect kit will have a button on the mic for play/pause/next/answer/etc.

If anything, I'll hopefully get them to release a small adapter or short cord for connecting the QC3/QC2 headphones to the Shure MPA, without having a 3' cord attached to it.

It sounds as though they've been working on this second cell phone connect kit for awhile now.I have the QC2 and 3...They both work very well with the iPhone. I use the Shure MPA with dual port mike. Button on mike works exactly like the ear buds from Apple. I like your idea about the short cord from Bose as an alternate plug in. I have my wires neatly wrapped and have no issue with the slack...although it would be nice if they came out with a connect kit from Bose.

DXoverDY
Aug 5, 2007, 09:02 PM
I have the QC2 and 3...They both work very well with the iPhone. I use the Shure MPA with dual port mike. Button on mike works exactly like the ear buds from Apple. I like your idea about the short cord from Bose as an alternate plug in. I have my wires neatly wrapped and have no issue with the slack...although it would be nice if they came out with a connect kit from Bose.

Just so I'm clear. The connect kit is coming. It will support the iPhone. However, it is unclear to me whether it will support the clicking functions the Shure MPA and apple headphones do for answering calls, advancing tracks, pausing, etc.

So it is coming, my source says this fall. Probably late August through October sometime. Bose tends to roll out new products to employees between August and September. Leaving October for the unveil to the public and limited release along the way.

Also, just so I can hopefully prove it's true. Lifestyle series IV systems are due out soon, they are the same, but bundling the VS-2 video switcher with the three premium systems (35,38,48). Keep an eye out.

megfilmworks
Aug 5, 2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks, I will keep my eye to the winds.

hotsauce
Oct 21, 2007, 12:32 AM
Any updates to the QC3 cell connect? For those that have it, does it have a button to call, end, pause, ff?

megfilmworks
Oct 21, 2007, 09:11 AM
The Bose site now says compatible with iPhone, but still looking for confirmation that the mic button is functional.
EDIT: After calling and emailing Bose and receiving the same answer on both, we can safely assume that the mic has NO BUTTON for pause / advance.

Zathu
Nov 1, 2007, 03:10 PM
http://images.belkin.com/F8Z177/STD1_F8Z177.jpg

Belikin (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=374491)

FYI, Best Buy carries a generic version of that by Dynex if anyone wants to get one locally. It's not on their website, but I found a peg of them on a peg cart next to the MP3 display. I believe they're $8.99.

haub
Nov 12, 2007, 08:22 PM
There are now 2 versions of the Bose Triport IE phones. The one that is compatible out of the box is the 2nd version which you can tell by the black/white striped cord. The version where the plug won't fit the iphone has an all black cord. Picked mine up today at Target. Not sure if I'll keep them at this point.

Vdor103
Jan 5, 2008, 08:00 PM
This is exactly what I did with my FM-tuner and headphones. Don't be afraid, it's just solid metal surrounded by rubber, and you only need to trim a 1/4 inch. Much better solution than spending money on that ugly 3 inch adaptor.

Definitely the best advise. I used box cutters w/ a brand new blade, and the rubber cut like butter - leaving a clean looking cut. Thanks.

SFStateStudent
Jan 5, 2008, 10:24 PM
since I bought my Bose In-Ear Headphones in December '07 and there was NO "slicing & dicing" to make it fit my iPhone. Though I did buy an adapter, I ended up not needing it, since the NEW Bose In-Ear Headphones are angled and fit perfectly into the recessed headphone jack of the iPhone. Yes, the cord is "Black & White" so as earlier posted, "IT" is the right one. There is also a Shure adapter that will give you the controls that many of you have been asking about. :cool:

http://www.bose.com/images/home_entertainment/products/p_triportie_l_b.jpg

http://www.shure.com/stellent/groups/public/@gms_gmi_web_us_pa/documents/web_resource/site_img_pa_mpa_l.jpg

crazyandroid
Jan 27, 2008, 11:21 PM
if you are using qc3s ... All you have to do is use the included single prong airplane adapter and it works with the iPhone

gadgetgal
Dec 20, 2009, 08:31 PM
I have the Rebel iPhone Headphone Adapter from BluJuicz. It works great with my Bose in-ear headphones (yes, with the black and white cord). Best of all worlds:) The price is reasonable too.

http://www.blujuicz.com/iphone-adapter-and-cables/rebel-iphone-headphone-adapter-cable.html

dread
Dec 21, 2009, 08:30 AM
I have the Rebel iPhone Headphone Adapter from BluJuicz. It works great with my Bose in-ear headphones (yes, with the black and white cord). Best of all worlds:) The price is reasonable too.

http://www.blujuicz.com/iphone-adapter-and-cables/rebel-iphone-headphone-adapter-cable.html

this thread is two years old

eawmp1
Dec 21, 2009, 08:33 AM
http://www.rooney.org/tlc/silly/holy%20thread%20resurrection.jpg