Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Oh man. now that's cool! How's the sound on one of those babies? I think that would be really nice on my desktop....where does one get one of these delicious items?

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Originally posted by teabgs
Oh man. now that's cool! How's the sound on one of those babies? I think that would be really nice on my desktop....where does one get one of these delicious items?

I found one on eBay and one on a used Mac mailing list that is part of Low End Mac.com. It's a pretty nice unit.

blakespot

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Originally posted by dukestreet
When did these come out?

It came out in '93 I believe. That's when the one I received today is labelled. Sadly, I can't seem to get it to work... Working on it.

blakespot

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by blakespot

It came out in '93 I believe. That's when the one I received today is labelled. Sadly, I can't seem to get it to work... Working on it.

blakespot

Thats sad.....Good luck with it. I hope you get it working!

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
If you have time visit Applespec.com, is has info on almost all Apple products (hardware not software) ever made.

Ensign

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Re: scsi

Originally posted by idkew
is that a scsi connection i see? what's with it?

Indeed it is. But it's only a 1x drive and requires drivers (unlike most SCSI systems). Not the ideal data drive.

blakespot

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Ouch! When you bought these, did they give you any indication that they weren't working? Maybe you might be able to make one working unit from both bad ones, but that's a long shot.

Good Luck

You been throwing rocks at the Dark Castle? I forget how it ends, how many levels does it have and does it start over at the end. Its been soo long.....

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
They claim they worked before shipping and I believe them. The unit must just be super fragile. Still trying to toy with them and hope one at least ends up working!

Haven't played DC so much yet---just got it on the Mac last night.

blakespot

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
I bought one of these a few years back, because it looks cool... It will run on battery power, 8 or 12 AAs i think (for about an hour)... Couple cool features, an S-video output for displaying photoCD's directly to a TV... and it could theoretically be used as a bulky walkman... it was cool for a while, the light-up display was fun, but it doesn't serve much purpose in today's world... mine is packed snugly in storage :)

still wish i had the remote tho...

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
hey, i remember when those first came out!

It's interesting to note that apple used to produce several peripherals (printer, cd player, camera...), and then got into financial trouble. Now they look as though they're going to start making more peripherals again (iPod, possible others). History repeating itself? I shouldn't think so, or at least i hope not!

Just me thinking out loud...

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
Re: scsi

Originally posted by idkew
is that a scsi connection i see? what's with it?
Yes, it is a scsi connector. Power CD's could be connected to your computer as an external CD Rom, or it could be used as it's own unit to play music CD's.

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Re: Re: scsi

Originally posted by me hate windows

Yes, it is a scsi connector. Power CD's could be connected to your computer as an external CD Rom, or it could be used as it's own unit to play music CD's.
They make lousy SCSI drives tho. Single speed (150KB/sec) and required bizarre, buggy drivers that were not avail for many Macs. More of an artifact of the past, no more no less. Nice design.

blakespot

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
I wouldn't be intrested, in one of those, I'dd be more interested in those settopboxes that were showed on one of the threads a couple of weeks ago.

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
Originally posted by blakespot

Then have at it. There's always one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2021001736

blakespot

Thxs for info Blakespot, but don't trust those online buying things like ebay too much, like, eg your post:
Amazing... Both PowerCD's I received are dead. Incredible.

blakespot
btw, I'll see if I can find some of these over here in Europe.
I'dd like to check before I buy.

Sorry man, hope for sure that those babies will work after some toying with them.

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Originally posted by Geert

Thxs for info Blakespot, but don't trust those online buying things like ebay too much, like, eg your post:

btw, I'll see if I can find some of these over here in Europe.
I'dd like to check before I buy.

Sorry man, hope for sure that those babies will work after some toying with them.
They won't work. This item in particular makes no difference whether it works or not. These units do nothing. They were not completed. If you hook a Mac monitor to versions of the box w/ an RGB port you get a gray screen (better than a dead signal) but that's it. They are non functional. Broken or not--no difference.

blakespot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.