PDA

View Full Version : anti-terrorism law used to bust drugmakers

zimv20
Jul 22, 2003, 09:53 PM
link (http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ/MGArticle/WSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031770123475&path=!frontpage&s=)

Frustrated by drug laws that he thought were not tough enough on methamphetamine producers, prosecutor Jerry Wilson decided to examine the books.

Instead of a drug law, though, Wilson turned to the state's antiterrorism laws when prosecuting accused methamphetamine producers. The laws, specifically a statute passed in November 2001, detail the penalties for manufacturing a nuclear or chemical weapon. Wilson's office filed what are believed to be the first charges using that law last week.

B1 felonies carry sentences ranging from 12 years to life in prison.

The first person who will be prosecuted under the antiterrorism laws is Martin Dwayne Miller, 24, of Todd. Miller was arrested July 11 and was charged with two counts of manufacturing a nuclear or chemical weapon, in connection with charges relating to methamphetamine production.

pseudobrit
Jul 22, 2003, 10:01 PM
Oh goodie. I've got bleach and ammonia in my house. I must be a terrorist ready to kill innocents with chlorine gas!

zimv20
Jul 22, 2003, 10:04 PM
i have a soccer ball, which kind of looks like the explosive charge used to set off a nuke. i'm in trouble, too!

pseudobrit
Jul 22, 2003, 10:46 PM
If they went ahead with TIPS, your soccer ball and my Clorox would be in evidence lockers and we'd be sharing a pen in Guantanamo by now.

zimv20
Jul 22, 2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by pseudobrit
If they went ahead with TIPS, your soccer ball and my Clorox would be in evidence lockers and we'd be sharing a pen in Guantanamo by now.

yeah, with no paper, either.

oh, wrong kind of pen.

let's look at the bright side. we'd get free medical coverage. that's better than we get now!

pseudobrit
Jul 22, 2003, 11:11 PM
And we'd never go hungry for much longer than it took to get us to sign a few confessions a month of how we hate America and how much we loved Osama etc...

So I guess we would get paper after all!