PDA

View Full Version : Back To The Old Product Matrices

rice_web
Jul 23, 2003, 12:13 AM
Many will remember the classic 2x2 product matrix that helped revive Apple a few years ago.

iMac, iBook, PowerMac, PowerBook.

Extremely simple and easy to follow, it stood as a customer's dream for convenience in decision making.

Then the tinkering came, with the Cube, the accessories, the eMac. Nothing wrong here, but it's starting to get cluttered. Now with iSight thrown in, two choices for wireless networking, a huge array of both pro and consumer software for machines that can't decide if they're pro or consumer. In other words, it's a little too grey.

Now, you must be thinking, the Mac Head that you are, that Average Joe is not going to have a problem with a selection of this size, and I'd have to agree. However, there are still many dumb, rich people that want Macs and can't understand a product line-up or tech. terms. It's nothing much for someone to learn, but why not strive for simplicity?

We need a new product matrix or a method of differentiating the product lines.

If a product matrix is the choice, then go with consumer, prosumer, and professional products, or some other variation on the products. I personally prefer the tiers listed above, allowing a 2x3 matrix.

Consumer: eMac, iBook 12"
Prosumer: iMac, iBook 14"
Professional: PowerMac, PowerBook

Now to make this listing work, name changes would probably be in order, with possibly an eBook (or some other god-awful name).

Another method, and one that I like a fair amount that Apple itself has done, is the color variation, with white meaning a consumer machine and metal meaning professional, but this solution does not currently carry over to Apple's software, with iTunes, for example, proudly showing off its brushed metal, the current symbol for the pro.

LethalWolfe
Jul 23, 2003, 12:48 AM
I think creating an artifical catagory, prosumer, would be a bad idea. The e/iMacs and iBooks are all consumer machines. There is nothing "pro" about them. Adding a catagory just for the sake of adding a catagory only serves to confuse people.

And I think that saying all pro stuff has to look like this and all consumer stuff has to look like that is just too limiting (of course if you kept the prosumer catagory it would need it's only color&style as well). The difference in hardware specs, form factor (i.e. iMac vs. a tower), and/or price are all very easy indicaters to go by, IMO.

Lethal

Waluigi
Jul 23, 2003, 12:54 AM
Now that is a great idea! When apple moves the powerbooks to a G5, the iBooks to a G4, it could announce an eBook, which would be a low end G4....sort of simplifying their products to an e, i and power prefixes:

Consumer: eMac, eBook -->G4
Prosumer: iMac, iBook -->G4+
Professional: PowerMac, PowerBook --> G5

--Waluigi

Abstract
Jul 23, 2003, 01:10 AM
I actually enjoy the lines the way they are now. ;) The only thing that may be changed is the iBook and PB. I like the products offered, but some people want the 14" iBook out. :(

I'm happy with the way things are now, except for the single proc G5 models. The dual 2.0GHz G5 is sooooo much better for the price you're paying for a Mac.

jbomber
Jul 23, 2003, 01:44 AM
sure would be nice if the powerbook 15 EVER CAME OUT!!!!

sorry, that's the despair talking....

funkywhat2
Jul 23, 2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Waluigi
Now that is a great idea! When apple moves the powerbooks to a G5, the iBooks to a G4, it could announce an eBook, which would be a low end G4....sort of simplifying their products to an e, i and power prefixes:

Consumer: eMac, eBook -->G4
Prosumer: iMac, iBook -->G4+
Professional: PowerMac, PowerBook --> G5

--Waluigi

Why put the G4 in the consumer lines? Wait for the Gobi, and pop G3's in them. The average schlub doesn't know the difference between the processors anyway, and most hardcore computer userrs who know about architectures and Vector units will go for the Prosumer/Pro lines anyway.

Or should the Gobi be in the Prosumer line? Hmmm.....

mnkeybsness
Jul 23, 2003, 10:32 PM
"ebook"? yuck! there isn't a large enough portable market for apple to have 3 notebook lines out there. and besides, ibooks are low cost enough now that there doesn't need to be a cheaper model.

i think apple's store should be redesigned to take the different model pictures off of the main store page. granted when you click a 12" powerbook, you are given the option to choose between the three powerbook models, it's just a bit confusing, but then again...not anywhere near as confusing as Dell's site.

pseudobrit
Jul 23, 2003, 10:40 PM
I think that Apple's current product matrix or lack thereof is a mess and they need to get back to something close to what they had about a year ago.

plinkoman
Jul 23, 2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by funkywhat2
Why put the G4 in the consumer lines? Wait for the Gobi, and pop G3's in them. The average schlub doesn't know the difference between the processors anyway, and most hardcore computer userrs who know about architectures and Vector units will go for the Prosumer/Pro lines anyway.

Or should the Gobi be in the Prosumer line? Hmmm.....

gobi? whats gobi?

vniow
Jul 23, 2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by plinkoman
gobi? whats gobi?

http://www.macrumors.com/searcharticles.php3?searchterm=gobi&submit=Search