PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth Mouse on July 25th?

MacRumors
Jul 23, 2003, 12:30 AM
Kodawarisan claims (http://www.kodawarisan.com/ug/) Apple will announce the Bluetooth mouse on July 25, 2003.

Waluigi
Jul 23, 2003, 12:35 AM
From their site (translated):

Genuine input device sale of Bluetooth correspondence
As for Apple it seems that announces the input device of Bluetooth correspondence on the 25th.
According to information, this time in announcement only of the Bluetooth corresponding mouse, adjusting to the shipment time of PowerMac G5 concerning the keyboard which at the beginning is planned, when it is announced, it is thing. Furthermore, when it selects these devices in iMac, and eMac when it purchases, with Apple Store it becomes BTO product treatment, it is thing.

....hahahaha, engirsh! Anyway, does this imply that it will ship on the G5's orders? I'm a little confused......

--Waluigi

stefman
Jul 23, 2003, 12:43 AM
Has Apple ever launched/announced products on a Friday? Just wondering.

I wouldn't mind looking into a Bluetooth mouse. My Apple Pro mouse recently started acting funny.

job
Jul 23, 2003, 12:55 AM
It's just two short days away so I guess we'll see soon enough if this rumor has any basis in fact. Although I'm not that thrilled at the prospect of a Bluetooth mouse as the Logictech wireless mice eat batteries for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

ZildjianKX
Jul 23, 2003, 01:10 AM
My dream specs:

Firewire rechargeable via a firewire cable (no dock)... works as a wired mouse while charging.

3+ buttons, with a scroll wheel "click" being the 3rd button.

:)

vniow
Jul 23, 2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by job
Although I'm not that thrilled at the prospect of a Bluetooth mouse as the Logictech wireless mice eat batteries for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

My Logitech uses ordinary AA batteries, the wireless mice that have internal, non-replaceable ones last longer, I suspect an Apple wireless mouse would use that type of battery vs AA or AAA or whatever...

I'm intrested in the idea because I'm looking to purchace a Powermac and/or a Powerbook in the near future and it would be nice (if I were to buy both) if I could just take the mouse and use it with my Powerbook when I'm away from my other computer, without doing or having to carry around anything else...

Although if this doesn't have three buttons and a scroll wheel, my money is going elsewhere...

Awimoway
Jul 23, 2003, 01:30 AM
I have no insider knowledge, but I bet Apple mice will continue to have only one button and no one will be terribly imressed by the new offering.

I really like the eight buttons plus scroll wheel of my cordless Logitech. Even if Apple were to go multiple-button, I doubt they will have more than two or three buttons, and I probably won't be inclined to get one unless perhaps they incorporate that iPod-like scroll dial they applied for a patent for a few months ago.

bennetsaysargh
Jul 23, 2003, 01:40 AM
i would love a bluetooth mouse. that would be awesome. but friday? tuesday i the magic day! or maybe they want to get people to buy it on the weekend at thier local apple store:)
looks like a trip to the palisades for a new mouse/bluetooth adapter:D
mom! i need money!

nagromme
Jul 23, 2003, 01:54 AM
The PowerBooks are what really NEED this. Carry a mouse, but no cords!

I hope if it exists that it's easily rechargeable. Battery waste IS a problem.

scem0
Jul 23, 2003, 02:58 AM
Well 2 days to wait.... Technically 1 day I guess since it is 3 AM.

Same day as tomb raider comes out but that is something totally different (but also cool none-the-less)

I hope it comes with a recharge stand type thing like that one kensington does.

And I hope it isn't hella expensive ;).

scem0

Chaszmyr
Jul 23, 2003, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by Waluigi
Anyway, does this imply that it will ship on the G5's orders? I'm a little confused......

--Waluigi

Absolutely not. Remember, the average G5 doesnt even have a bluetooth module.

iMatt
Jul 23, 2003, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by stefman
Has Apple ever launched/announced products on a Friday? Just wondering.

I wouldn't mind looking into a Bluetooth mouse. My Apple Pro mouse recently started acting funny.

hmmm... Isn't Kodawarisan a Japanese site? So, their Friday is our Thursday?

Just wondering....

firestarter
Jul 23, 2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
My dream specs:

<snip>

3+ buttons, with a scroll wheel "click" being the 3rd button.

:)

Keep dreaming... it's never going to have 3 buttons.

As far as I'm concerned, i'd never buy a 1 button mouse, bluetooth or not - so this is a waste of time.

beez7777
Jul 23, 2003, 07:32 AM
i'm afraid of how much this thing is gonna cost. i imagine apple will drop the price of the regular optical mouse, but they are gonna have to keep the new bluetooth one around $70 or so, especially if it lacks certain features of other M$ or Logitech mice (many buttons, scroll wheel). I would think that they would include a BT module with the mouse, but a lot of people already have bluetooth. i think it would be nice if there was an option to get it w/o the module with like a $20 price drop or something.

Bear
Jul 23, 2003, 07:34 AM
My dream specs:

Firewire rechargeable via a firewire cable (no dock)... works as a wired mouse while charging.

This is stupid. Apple keyboards and LCD displays have USB ports on them. Using USB as the recharging method makes a lot more sense. Especially since a mouse is a low bandwidth item.

dongmin
Jul 23, 2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Bear
This is stupid. Apple keyboards and LCD displays have USB ports on them. Using USB as the recharging method makes a lot more sense. Especially since a mouse is a low bandwidth item.

not if this is the long-rumored Mouse/videoPod/Cellphone thingy. This baby will require nothing less than Firewire800...

ipiloot
Jul 23, 2003, 08:22 AM
For PR reasons Apple will not announce anything in the end of the week. They usually announce things either in Monday or Tuesday.
Which is smart. Apple will announce things in Friday only if they don't have other options and I don't think this is an issue right now.

MetallicPenguin
Jul 23, 2003, 08:29 AM
I couldn't understand from the article, but how do we know this isn't the next 25th? That would be a Monday and the person above me says that that would be a good time for the Press Release stuff, so.

AppleMatt
Jul 23, 2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by nagromme
The PowerBooks are what really NEED this. Carry a mouse, but no cords!

I hope if it exists that it's easily rechargeable. Battery waste IS a problem.

Definately. My wireless mouse is great, but the dongle for it is essentially the size of a wired mouse.

However, unless it is two-button + wheel, I won't be buying it.

AppleMatt

Bear
Jul 23, 2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by dongmin
not if this is the long-rumored Mouse/videoPod/Cellphone thingy. This baby will require nothing less than Firewire800...
Ummm, I think you combined the wrong products.

ZildjianKX
Jul 23, 2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Bear

GL charging via USB man.

Freg3000
Jul 23, 2003, 10:53 AM
I think Apple could make a multi-button mouse while maintaining their mantra of 1 button = simpler for the every day user. As long as they call the new mouse Super Duper Pro Mouse, Steve can be like, "most people will never need more than 1 button, but we feel that there is a small market that requires more than 1, so here it is." Regardless of the validity of that statement, I think it could happen. Defining it as "Pro' would allow Apple to not admit they were wrong about the 2 button mouse. we all know Steve doesn't like to be wrong.

cc bcc
Jul 23, 2003, 11:06 AM
I just checked my online order status of my new G5 :D :cool: :D
Anyway, it contains this in the list:

Keybd Wired+Wired MS -N N065-4161

Is that new? Why specify the keyboard and mouse as "wired" when "wired" is the only option?

Pete_Hoover
Jul 23, 2003, 11:15 AM
Bluetooth mice are cool. I hope Apple announces them in 2 days.

ZildjianKX
Jul 23, 2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Freg3000
I think Apple could make a multi-button mouse while maintaining their mantra of 1 button = simpler for the every day user. As long as they call the new mouse Super Duper Pro Mouse, Steve can be like, "most people will never need more than 1 button, but we feel that there is a small market that requires more than 1, so here it is." Regardless of the validity of that statement, I think it could happen. Defining it as "Pro' would allow Apple to not admit they were wrong about the 2 button mouse. we all know Steve doesn't like to be wrong.

Is that small market 95% of all computer users? :)

I just hope I don't ever hear Steve say, "And I'm proud to introduce the world's first and only wireless 1-button mouse!"

:(

Lanbrown
Jul 23, 2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
Absolutely not. Remember, the average G5 doesnt even have a bluetooth module.

I agree, but a long shot would that the KB has BT and the mouse communicates with it. Doing that would negate the BT as an option in the G5, which is why it would be a long shot. Unless the mouse can work corded or uncorded, it can't be shipped with the G5.

mrsebastian
Jul 23, 2003, 11:21 AM
i don't know about multiple buttons coming, but i wouldn't be surprised to see bluetooth keyboard and mouse anytime now. apple is on a roll in my books and here's why...
1. announcement of g5 to get everybody giddy about apple.
2. bluetooth key/mouse, new monitors, and other smaller items come out. naturally everyone is gonna want to pick them up for their current g4s.
3. g5 should start shipping about the time they announce the new 15" al powerbook, which of course won't ship for a few months...
does any one else see a pattern here? apple loves to hook and reel us every couple of months, because it's great for business. has anyone noticed that this "pattern" has been very beneficial for apple stock in the last few months? now the question is, what's next: g5 powerbook, g4 ibook, and/or 19-20" imac, video ipod?

Jerry Spoon
Jul 23, 2003, 11:24 AM
I'll stick with my cordless logitech trackman. And unlike the earlier post, I don't notice a huge battery consumption.

bennetsaysargh
Jul 23, 2003, 11:31 AM
well, i think they could do it on a friday. they released jaguar on a friday, so why con't the do this?

ok, here's my idea, they have 2 models

both can work wired, or unwired.
wireless has a rechargable battery in it that charges when plugged in. it can charge as long as it is plugged in regardless of use.

pro mouse-2 button scroll wheel
regular mouse-one button.

regular ships with consumer and pro ships with pro, or you can change it around in your order.

cubist
Jul 23, 2003, 11:31 AM
Bluetooth in the G5 is a BTO option. So if you've already ordered your G5, it's too late.

As for batteries, I would not buy a cordless mouse unless it used a user-replaceable battery.

capitalhood
Jul 23, 2003, 11:59 AM
i dont know, does anyone think they could make it a bluetooth and wired mouse? because wireless takes recharging or battery replacement why not let it be a bluetooth mouse that can plug to the computer?

bennetsaysargh
Jul 23, 2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by capitalhood
i dont know, does anyone think they could make it a bluetooth and wired mouse? because wireless takes recharging or battery replacement why not let it be a bluetooth mouse that can plug to the computer?

that's what my idea was. plug it in to charge and use at the same time.

illumin8
Jul 23, 2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by job
It's just two short days away so I guess we'll see soon enough if this rumor has any basis in fact. Although I'm not that thrilled at the prospect of a Bluetooth mouse as the Logictech wireless mice eat batteries for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Not true. I have a Logitech Cordless Freedom combo mouse/keyboard I use for 8 hours every day at work, and the 2 AA batteries that came with both the keyboard and mouse have lasted for almost a year in both of them. That's right, I have never replaced them and they work great. And FYI, I type 80 wpm, so I know they get used.

At home I have a Logitech MX700 wireless mouse that has a rechargeable base station. I have to charge this one about once a week for some reason, but it came with a pair of AA NiMH batteries, so that's not really an issue. Just stick it in the base station for a couple hours and it's charged.

What makes you think Apple's wireless mice will be any worse than Logitech's? I actually think Apple's products might be better, and if that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's wireless bluetooth mouse runs for 1 whole year off of just a pair of batteries, or is rechargeable.

bennetsaysargh
Jul 23, 2003, 12:23 PM
why don't they put the same batteries they put in the iPods in there, or maybe smaler versions. 8 hours of music playback can definatly last at least a day of clicking around.

jaedreth
Jul 23, 2003, 01:16 PM
Perhaps the site meant they will announce Bluetooth mice in Japan on Friday the 25th.

Last time Apple released a product on Friday (not announced, released), I was there, working for Apple. It was Jaguar. And let me tell you, all the support engineering and response people had gone home already, so when the hairy calls came in, we didn't have a clue!

Apple learned from that first weekend fiasco.

If they do release it on Friday, I bet I know some people who will be working overtime. Else, they won't ship then.

Jaedreth

Bear
Jul 23, 2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by cubist
Bluetooth in the G5 is a BTO option. So if you've already ordered your G5, it's too late.

Actually untill Apple moves an order into production status (or whatever they call it) you can change a BTO system. I doubt any of the G5's have been moved to production status yet. However, if there is a change you want, I would make it soon.

panphage
Jul 23, 2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Freg3000

Read _Insanely_Great_. Then you will understand the mouse thing. There was a holy war over whether to even include a mouse with the Macintosh. But the Lisa team had tried something like 150 mice. Basically, people made tons more mistakes using a 2 button mouse. The single button mouse led to double clicking. So in the end, we have the Lisa team to thank for the single button. Apple just never got past that initial testing with people who had never even imagined a GUI before. They must have been damn confused, and multiple mouse buttons must have just made it all worse. Now, of course, over 20 years later, most people know how to use a mouse to navigate a GUI, and a second, third, or fourth button isn't really slowing anyone down.

Here's a great quote from the book, "...the Macintosh's cost was the subject of a heated internal struggle. Steve Jobs wanted it $1,995, a price sufficient to make money but low enough to interest masses of users who weren't even thinking of buying a computer; John Sculley hoped to boost short-term profits by pricing it at $2,495." As we all know, Steve lost, and Apple started to lose right there and has been losing ever since.

Freg3000
Jul 23, 2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by panphage
Read _Insanely_Great_. Then you will understand the mouse thing.

So, you are saying that there is in no chance in hell for a multi button mouse? Come 'on Apple! Help me dump this M$ Intellimouse!

AppleMatt
Jul 23, 2003, 06:55 PM
Although it is an on-going debate which I refuse to enter, I wish Apple would released a multi-button Bluetooth mouse. It would make my PowerBook 12" complete.

They could ship one-button mice with their systems as default, and those users who specifically wanted a multi-button would obviously realise how to use it (which is why they ask for one), and could specify it as a BTO option. Therefore 'new' users wouldn't be confused by multi-buttons, and 'advanced' users get their wish granted without wasting money on a single button and without funding Microsoft (Logitech are OK tho :wink:.)

Just my opinion, I'm not considering the history, marketing, anything, it's just my opinion.

AppleMatt (doesn't want a flame war!)

ZildjianKX
Jul 23, 2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by AppleMatt
Although it is an on-going debate which I refuse to enter, I wish Apple would released a multi-button Bluetooth mouse. It would make my PowerBook 12" complete.

They could ship one-button mice with their systems as default, and those users who specifically wanted a multi-button would obviously realise how to use it (which is why they ask for one), and could specify it as a BTO option. Therefore 'new' users wouldn't be confused by multi-buttons, and 'advanced' users get their wish granted without wasting money on a single button and without funding Microsoft (Logitech are OK tho :wink:.)

Just my opinion, I'm not considering the history, marketing, anything, it's just my opinion.

AppleMatt (doesn't want a flame war!)

Its a sad day when an advanced user is somebody who uses more than 1 mouse button :)

AppleMatt
Jul 23, 2003, 08:15 PM
Its a sad day when an advanced user is somebody who uses more than 1 mouse button :)

I was hoping someone would pick up on that :)

AppleMatt

AHDuke99
Jul 24, 2003, 03:27 PM
Maybe tomorrow, Apple will release the 15" Alubook with the Bluetooth mouse, "Introducing you new Powerbook's best Friend""The Apple Bluetooth Mouse"

withnail
Jul 24, 2003, 03:38 PM
If they were to make a cordless mouse, anyone know the feasibility of having an induction recharging system similar to Braun and Sonicare toothbrushes? (For those not familiar, you just set the toothbrush on a base and it recharges, there are no plugs to speak of and no metal/metal contact.)

Maybe they could have a "mouse pad" tethered by USB/FireWire that charges the mouse while used on it, but doesn't need it, assuming the battery has juice?

Or maybe some kinda recharging based on gyroscopics. You know, just moving the mouse around during use would charge it. OK, now I'm just being silly...

bennetsaysargh
Jul 24, 2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by withnail
If they were to make a cordless mouse, anyone know the feasibility of having an induction recharging system similar to Braun and Sonicare toothbrushes? (For those not familiar, you just set the toothbrush on a base and it recharges, there are no plugs to speak of and no metal/metal contact.)

Maybe they could have a "mouse pad" tethered by USB/FireWire that charges the mouse while used on it, but doesn't need it, assuming the battery has juice?

Or maybe some kinda recharging based on gyroscopics. You know, just moving the mouse around during use would charge it. OK, now I'm just being silly...

that's a good idea. maybe in a few years it could get it's charge by means of static.

NavyIntel007
Jul 24, 2003, 05:31 PM
I think this is fake. Devices that have bluetooth or wi-fi almost always have to go to the FCC for approval. That's how people knew about the Palm Tungsten T, C, the late SE T608... etc. I don't remember ever seeing this application... so I think this is fake.

bennetsaysargh
Jul 24, 2003, 05:35 PM
maybe it already has ggone through it a while ago? something the rumor sites all missed?

NavyIntel007
Jul 24, 2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
maybe it already has ggone through it a while ago? something the rumor sites all missed?

The rumor sites don't miss anything and would not have missed this one. Remember that the Aluminum Powerbooks needed FCC approval.

snofseth
Jul 24, 2003, 07:34 PM
I dont understand why many of you want wires to connect to the computer for the mouse and computer for any reason. Why pay extra for a WIRELESS mouse when you have to plug it into the computer. I have a wireless mouse with a dock that you have to plug into the usb port. I wish I didnt have to plug it in. You should just have a dock or something that plugs into the wall that you can put on your desk, wile you sleep theres plenty of time for it to charge. For someone that said what if it runs out of battery on a trip, I say use the trackpad anyways you'd need to use the mouse a for days before it ran out. With bluetooth there should be no wires coming from the computer period or its no better than anyother wireless mouse whats the point of apple making something if they can't make it better?

bennetsaysargh
Jul 24, 2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
The rumor sites don't miss anything and would not have missed this one. Remember that the Aluminum Powerbooks needed FCC approval.

just thinking out the possibilities:rolleyes:

tizza
Jul 24, 2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
that's what my idea was. plug it in to charge and use at the same time.
I agree this seems to give you the best of both worlds - wonder how long it would take to charge over firewire I wonder?

bennetsaysargh
Jul 24, 2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by tizza
I agree this seems to give you the best of both worlds - wonder how long it would take to charge over firewire I wonder?

that's a good question
lol:p wish i knew the answer.
i think apple will find a way to make it work.

daddy-mojo
Jul 25, 2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by snofseth
I dont understand why many of you want wires to connect to the computer for the mouse and computer for any reason. Why pay extra for a WIRELESS mouse when you have to plug it into the computer. I have a wireless mouse with a dock that you have to plug into the usb port. I wish I didnt have to plug it in. You should just have a dock or something that plugs into the wall that you can put on your desk, wile you sleep theres plenty of time for it to charge. For someone that said what if it runs out of battery on a trip, I say use the trackpad anyways you'd need to use the mouse a for days before it ran out. With bluetooth there should be no wires coming from the computer period or its no better than anyother wireless mouse whats the point of apple making something if they can't make it better?

the point is, you shouldn't have to change how you're working. so if the wireless battery part runs low, because I have an iMac i'm supposed to go and plug in the old pro mouse, no. Battery dies, plug it in, keep working or playing, charges up unplug the wire. no change, no fuss. Its a very simple thing.:rolleyes:

elliotay
Jul 25, 2003, 03:51 PM
So it seems like friday has arrived with no news of updates mice. So, unfortunately, no bluetooth mouse today. Hopefully they 'll get here soon. I find the need for a two button mouse more and more. I know as soon as I buy one, apple will finally release one. Sigh....oh well.

jbomber
Jul 25, 2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by elliotay
So it seems like friday has arrived with no news of updates mice. So, unfortunately, no bluetooth mouse today. Hopefully they 'll get here soon. I find the need for a two button mouse more and more. I know as soon as I buy one, apple will finally release one. Sigh....oh well.

i'm getting far too used to these days coming and going with no updates, no new products, no new anything...

I'll look back years from now and realize that it was Apple who broke my heart....
</melodrama>

CmdrLaForge
Jul 26, 2003, 03:58 AM
Friday has come and gone and ....

WHERE IS THE MOUSE ?

Just another stupid rumor.

jbomber
Jul 26, 2003, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by CmdrLaForge
Friday has come and gone and ....

WHERE IS THE MOUSE ?

Just another stupid rumor.

were you really surprised, tho?

Why hast thou forsaken us, Steve!?!?! WHY!?!?!?!?!