PDA

View Full Version : Judge Dismisses Lawsuit Against Calif. Challenging Anti-Tobacco Ads

eyelikeart
Jul 23, 2003, 06:31 AM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/fc?cid=34&tmpl=fc&in=Health&cat=Smoking

While I'm all for freedom of choice, I feel this shouldn't be a "choice" we're allowed...not if it kills us, just as much as our environment. It kills me how these companies are so money hungry, they'll fund anti-smoking causes, but continue to make them. :rolleyes:

irmongoose
Jul 23, 2003, 09:07 AM
I'm a little lost here... there are too many negatives in that sentence! So, who did what to who?

irmongoose

Rower_CPU
Jul 23, 2003, 11:00 AM
The aggressive CA anti-smoking ad campaign was being sued by the tobacco companies to make them stop. The judge ruled for the ad campaign and against the tobacco companies. :)

P-Worm
Jul 23, 2003, 01:13 PM
I think that it is amazing that cigarettes are still legal. We know that they kill people. I guess that getting rid of the cigarette would be too hard on the economy. :(

P-Worm

Rower_CPU
Jul 23, 2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by P-Worm
I think that it is amazing that cigarettes are still legal. We know that they kill people. I guess that getting rid of the cigarette would be too hard on the economy. :(

P-Worm

Well, the tax revenue generated is huge. Cutting them out completely would have huge ramifications for the state budget.

For now, the high taxes serve as a combination deterrent and economy booster.