PDA

View Full Version : Keystroke Logger Used at Kinkos, subject arrested!

Mr. Anderson
Jul 23, 2003, 08:27 AM
This is quite scary. I don't think I'll be using public machines all that often any more...

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/07/23/cybercafe.security.ap/index.html

D

iJon
Jul 23, 2003, 08:35 AM
what an idiot, did you read how he got caught. he didnt even wait for the guy to finish with the computer before he started moving things around. haha. i wish they had explained more on how the guy came to the conclusion that it had to do with im getting online at kinkos.

iJon

eyelikeart
Jul 23, 2003, 09:21 AM
wow...I don't know what to think...

I fear this type of thing will only get worse as technology goes on. I've often wondered about these keystroke recorder softwares, and now I know. :eek:

Laslo Panaflex
Jul 23, 2003, 09:30 AM
Yeah, thats pretty scary, but I don't understand why he was using go to my PC to get on someones computer, thats just plain stupid, and a good way to get caught. Don't get me wrong I am glad he got caught, It's just, he seems smarter than that. . . Oh well guess not.

Peas.

Abstract
Jul 23, 2003, 11:02 AM
I used to use cybercafes all the time when I lived in London. That sucks to know. :mad:

Mr. Anderson
Jul 23, 2003, 11:09 AM
Well, one good thing is that its all on PCs not macs. I've used PCs in Italy and had issues with my email address afterwards, but it was nothing that serious.

And there's no way to remotely log into your machine at home for a Mac, right?

D

medea
Jul 23, 2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Well, one good thing is that its all on PCs not macs. I've used PCs in Italy and had issues with my email address afterwards, but it was nothing that serious.

And there's no way to remotely log into your machine at home for a Mac, right?

D
well there are plenty of keystroke loggers out there which is the real problem, I've played around with several in the past and if you were to set them up on public computers like that then the logger could send you the encrypted info back to you at your own email, you'd never even have to go back to the public computers and the only way anyone would detect it is if they had a firewall or some loggers eventually end up being listed as a virus and will show up in a virus scan.
you'd could get away with a lot of info before that ever happened though. I don't trust public access, never have and never will.