PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Powerbooks for Cheap


RichP
Jul 23, 2003, 08:35 AM
I have been just hunting around ebay a bit for 17" Powerbooks, and have come across quite a few with "buy-it-nows" that are around the $1700+ mark. A few of the sellers are out of the US, which is suspicious; however, others are in the states. Nothing from the wording of the auctions seems shady, except the price.

The sellers have VERY good feedbacks; but the same token, I dont see them selling powerbooks in the past.

Is there something im missing here, a big scam already uncovered (perhaps some way to fake feedbacks?) Any help appreciated; Im not the type to go send a money order to some clown, but Im just curious..

Captnroger
Jul 23, 2003, 08:57 AM
Stay away. If the price is too good to be true, it probably is.

Abstract
Jul 23, 2003, 10:56 AM
Agreed.

Why would somebody sell it for so cheap when they know they can get hundreds of $$$ more for it. If it makes little sense to you, then it probably makes little sense.

RichP
Jul 23, 2003, 12:03 PM
Honestly, i wasnt planning on going this route for one, just more a curiosity.

Heres an interesting note: I emailed one guy, and he actually seemed to reply to tell me western union was the only way to pay (suspicious). I then get another email from the actual individual; needless to say someone stole his ebay/email identity.

Hey, maybe I helped bust one of these clowns that ruins it for the rest of us.

DUDE
Jul 23, 2003, 02:22 PM
Stay away...trust me. Stolen credit cards and credit card numbers are the lastest rage. A friend of mine got scammed bad..he purchased a PB only to receive a stolen one in his delivery.
In the end I would rather pay full price and have piece of mind rather than get taken for $1800 US.

Abstract
Jul 23, 2003, 03:02 PM
How do people take another person's account, anyway?

Sorry, I still can't figure out how some hackers do the stuff they do, such as get into an account when you don't know someone's password. :confused:

Billicus
Jul 23, 2003, 03:09 PM
Probably scam people into handing over their passwords. Like others have said, it's just too good to be true. Peace of mind is worth the full price of a PowerBook. You never exactly know what you'll be getting when you bite on one of these ads.

eyelikeart
Jul 23, 2003, 03:26 PM
hmm...I checked one out...it's for "pre-approved bidders" only...

I don't like the looks of it...I'm going with my age old saying (which has been posted here already)...

"if it sounds too good to be true...it probably is..." ;)

ac2102
Jul 23, 2003, 04:08 PM
Guys, just a thought. Next time you see a deal that seems too good to be true on e-bay, from someone with awesome feedback ratings, just check out what they have been selling in the past.

There feedback may look good, but when you look closer you may find that its just a hijacked account of someone who has been seling dolls and wooden spoons for the last few years!

Gus
Jul 23, 2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by RichP
Honestly, i wasnt planning on going this route for one, just more a curiosity.

Heres an interesting note: I emailed one guy, and he actually seemed to reply to tell me western union was the only way to pay (suspicious). I then get another email from the actual individual; needless to say someone stole his ebay/email identity.

Hey, maybe I helped bust one of these clowns that ruins it for the rest of us.
This is because he is probably in another country. Many of those ads you see are people scamming from another country and they use Western Union, which has no guarantees once you've sent the money. Even if their profile says something like "USA" as location, don't believe it.

Regards,
Gus

burritos
Jul 23, 2003, 08:51 PM
I bought my Tibook a year ago on ebay. I only bid from local sellers(I live in LA) and emailed to the sellers that I wanted to pick up the computer in person. It was a great experience. But no way would I ever have something that valuable shipped.

jbomber
Jul 24, 2003, 03:09 AM
i think at some point the Feds are going to have to step in. A lot of the scams on ebay are absolutely out of control. i've sent them a ton of info on scammers and fake auctions, but they only send back this canned email response. I don't think they're terribly concerned about who's getting scammed as long as they're getting their fees....:(

ColdZero
Jul 24, 2003, 03:01 PM
I was looking at a 23" cinema display on eBay a few days ago. It was going for 1599 I think. I wasn't too scared about it since the developer price is 1599 and educational pricing is 1799. So I emailed the guy, who lives in NYC, I live just outside of NYC. I asked if I could pick it up, I'd bring cash with me to pay. I got an email back:

For the moment we can't accept credit cards, COD, Paypal or Escrow service
because take too long time.

My supplier need the cash in the same day with shipping day also he require
only Western Union as method of payment.

About your protection here you have 100% protection because:

-you send us the payment to my physicaly address INSIDE USA also you can
find me anyway you want.

-i am a verified seller for e bay

-a have a good rating on Ebay

If you agree my terms i'll wait for the shipping address.

We have too many customers. I preffer the fast payment method required by my
supplier Western Union. Sorry but i cannot help you if you not agree this.

Thanks,


Yea...paypal takes too long? Needless to say, I didn't buy the cinema display.

Sun Baked
Jul 24, 2003, 03:19 PM
What computer supplier in the US accepts Western Union as a required payment method?

Most likely none, as this would immediately raise the money laundering flag and bring the IRS into the suppliers business.

:rolleyes:

iJon
Jul 24, 2003, 03:40 PM
trust me, youll have a better feeling going to a reseller or apple store and walking out with it instead of sending your money and waiting and praying it comes.

iJon

Abstract
Jul 24, 2003, 03:44 PM
Translation: "Cinema Display for $1599. Cash is to be delivered in unmarked $20 bills and left in an envelope underneath the bushes at the address that I have designated. Once you place the envelope underneath the nearby bush, whisper the name, 'Viper', 3 times. This is the name in which you will refer to me. My real identity will remain anonymous. From there, I will walk by and slip you a note with an address where you will find your Cinema Display. I am 100% legitimate.....I promise." ;)

RichP
Jul 24, 2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Abstract
Translation: "Cinema Display for $1599. Cash is to be delivered in unmarked $20 bills and left in an envelope underneath the bushes at the address that I have designated. Once you place the envelope underneath the nearby bush, whisper the name, 'Viper', 3 times. This is the name in which you will refer to me. My real identity will remain anonymous. From there, I will walk by and slip you a note with an address where you will find your Cinema Display. I am 100% legitimate.....I promise." ;)

ROTFL!

Billicus
Jul 24, 2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Abstract
Translation: "Cinema Display for $1599. Cash is to be delivered in unmarked $20 bills and left in an envelope underneath the bushes at the address that I have designated. Once you place the envelope underneath the nearby bush, whisper the name, 'Viper', 3 times. This is the name in which you will refer to me. My real identity will remain anonymous. From there, I will walk by and slip you a note with an address where you will find your Cinema Display. I am 100% legitimate.....I promise." ;)

Right....:rolleyes:

MetallicPenguin
Jul 24, 2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Abstract
Translation: "Cinema Display for $1599. Cash is to be delivered in unmarked $20 bills and left in an envelope underneath the bushes at the address that I have designated. Once you place the envelope underneath the nearby bush, whisper the name, 'Viper', 3 times. This is the name in which you will refer to me. My real identity will remain anonymous. From there, I will walk by and slip you a note with an address where you will find your Cinema Display. I am 100% legitimate.....I promise." ;)

ROFLMAO!!!!!! :p

iJon
Jul 24, 2003, 07:32 PM
ive actually worked with that guy, but i said Ram instead of Viper and I lost all my money.

iJon

jbomber
Jul 25, 2003, 12:32 AM
Anyone else think that ebay needs to step up and take more responsibility for what's going on right now? There's RAMPANT fraud all over their site with very little internal policing going on. I think I've been responsible for the last 5 fraudulent auction removals...

Flowbee
Jul 25, 2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by jbomber
Anyone else think that ebay needs to step up and take more responsibility for what's going on right now? There's RAMPANT fraud all over their site with very little internal policing going on. I think I've been responsible for the last 5 fraudulent auction removals...

They would want to take some action. Especially before the word 'Ebay' becomes synonymous with online fraud (as in "Dude, I just got seriously ebayed last week. I lost $50 on Buymusic.com").

jbomber
Jul 25, 2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Flowbee
They would want to take some action. Especially before the word 'Ebay' becomes synonymous with online fraud (as in "Dude, I just got seriously ebayed last week. I lost $50 on Buymusic.com").

I think they need a swift kick in the ass to get them motivated. An article, a petition, SOMETHING. They're too happy collecting fees and keeping their heads buried in the sand. They don't really care if you get hosed on the transaction since they're not liable.

RichP
Jul 25, 2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by jbomber
Anyone else think that ebay needs to step up and take more responsibility for what's going on right now? There's RAMPANT fraud all over their site with very little internal policing going on. I think I've been responsible for the last 5 fraudulent auction removals...

I just took a few down too..people dont even realize their account is being used unless they get a specific email from another user. Most of us are very web, and scam savy, but the general populus is not. It seems that will powerbooks there is very hgh level of "fake" auctions running, and perhaps scarier, people are BIDDING.

beefcake
Jul 25, 2003, 10:07 AM
Scamming someone on ebay should warrant a public beating. I hate anyone who can do that to someone. Sure, many of us are smart enough not to buy expensive things off ebay and make sure even the small purchases are from credible buyers, but it disturbs me to think that some kid will do chores for 3 weeks to save up for something only to get scammed by some lowlife.

maraczc
Jul 27, 2003, 08:54 AM
I spent quite alot of time actually looking for Powerbooks on eBay, evgerytime it was a scammer trying to trick me.

In fact, I have spent so much time on it I can probably tell you the alliases, location, and scamming methods of the person just by looking at the item description. I know them all on an individual basis.

Also look at the feedback, even if they are offering powerbooks at $1000 cheaper don't even bother talking to them if they have a feedback of 0 or only 1 or so. I don't think that in the history of eBay the first item someone has sold was their Powerbook. As a good rule of thumb, do not do bussiness with people unless their feedback is at least half the cost of the item. Meaning if you're buying a telvision for $800 only deal with people who have a feedback rating of 400+.

RichP
Jul 27, 2003, 09:20 AM
THE SAGA CONTINUES...

so, looking around on ebay, I can tell whos who in this game, and bid on a legit PB 17 auction. What do I find in my mailbox the next day? 5 offers to buy peoples powerbooks for around 1800! Same poor written, suspicious sounding offers. This is insane. I have used ebay for years, and only with this given item have I seen so many scams and tricks.

jbomber
Jul 27, 2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by RichP
THE SAGA CONTINUES...

so, looking around on ebay, I can tell whos who in this game, and bid on a legit PB 17 auction. What do I find in my mailbox the next day? 5 offers to buy peoples powerbooks for around 1800! Same poor written, suspicious sounding offers. This is insane. I have used ebay for years, and only with this given item have I seen so many scams and tricks.

Did you say anything to the ebay spam guys? I sent them a number of these but i don't think they did anything about it.

RichP
Jul 27, 2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by jbomber
Did you say anything to the ebay spam guys? I sent them a number of these but i don't think they did anything about it.

I forwarded one along, havent done anything about the rest; I see someone on there has a 1 dollar auction up to warn people about scams..seems like ebay doesnt really care.

jbomber
Jul 27, 2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by RichP
I forwarded one along, havent done anything about the rest; I see someone on there has a 1 dollar auction up to warn people about scams..seems like ebay doesnt really care.

Maybe we need to get the FBI to investigate some of this stuff like the way that guy says Scotland Yard does.

If ebay won't step up and take the first step, maybe they won't mind being pushed.