PDA

View Full Version : Curiously, Dell is offering trade-in's on G3 and G4 PowerMa...

MacBytes
Jul 23, 2003, 12:02 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Curiously, Dell is offering trade-in's on G3 and G4 PowerMacs. (http://www.macnn.com/news/20305)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

kzoonut
Jul 23, 2003, 12:15 PM
I don't mean to sound like a pee-cee troll here, but I just saw this on macsurfer, with a corresponding link to macnn:

Dell offers cash for old macs (http://www.macnn.com/news/20305)

First, like I said before, not to sound like a troll, but this is really a 'switch' campaign with some teeth. Dell is really putting their money where their mouth is - maybe Apple should take notice.

Second, I couldn't help but think - what if Apple did this? I think people are lot more reluctant to trade in their beloved Macs. Personally, the only way someone is getting my tiBook is to pry it from my cold dead hands but I know tons of people who might be willing to trade in their bit bucket PC's. I know I'd be happy to trade in mine for a modest discount on a new G5.

Anybody else think Apple would have a tremendous response to an offer like this?

Kwyjibo
Jul 23, 2003, 12:31 PM
hmm
the real question is when theun-switchign campaign by m$ will start again

Das
Jul 23, 2003, 12:38 PM
It couldn't work for Apple because Dells don't retain their value nearly as well as Apples. Just try selling a P2 system and see how much you get.

Anyhoo, sounds like a good deal if you're got an old Apple and don't want to sell it for more on ebay. Compusa had something like this except they offered 600 for g4s and you could spend it on a new apple which is what I'd hope Apple would sponsor with the g5s coming up.

bennetsaysargh
Jul 23, 2003, 12:50 PM
why? does michael dell now think he will be the first company ti switch people from one platform to another? lol:p

P-Worm
Jul 23, 2003, 01:08 PM
Some one on that board made a good point: you could take advantage of the trade in, buy the dell, then sell it right after. That way you may get more money out of it.

But of course, you would have to buy a Dell in the process.

P-Worm

iJon
Jul 23, 2003, 01:41 PM
i honestly dont feel anyone's mind would be made up with this. this is just a way for someone to get some money off of their next dell purchse.

iJon

Mr. Anderson
Jul 23, 2003, 01:51 PM
Not a bad deal - especially if you get the additional 250 off - that $700 off a new machine. You could walk away with a nice $300 machine :D

Only thing is, if you had a lot of mac only software you wouldn't be able to use a lot of your own files.

I have an old G4 - but I would trade it in for a PC, I wouldn't be able to do any of work with it....

D

solvs
Jul 23, 2003, 02:02 PM
Or you could just go through some place like PowerMax (http://www.powermax.com). They take old Macs as trade ins. PCs are worse than cars when it comes to trade in value. They're so cheap now, you can barely recover your losses on someplaces like eBay.

jayscheuerle
Jul 23, 2003, 03:50 PM
You'd do better to sell it on ebay.

Even if it's a lower-end G4.

Sayhey
Jul 23, 2003, 04:36 PM
Now why would Dell be doing this if it didn't see the mac as a threat? Maybe the G5 isn't so slow after all? Hmm...?

MrMacMan
Jul 23, 2003, 05:10 PM
Yeah apple should take this idea and run with it.

It would work with people low on cash, but there are so many different models for each PC computer company it would be harder to do, very it would reward apple with some profits! :)

NavyIntel007
Jul 23, 2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Sayhey
Now why would Dell be doing this if it didn't see the mac as a threat? Maybe the G5 isn't so slow after all? Hmm...?

That's what I was thinking... Suppose Dell looked at the spec scores and went HOLY CRAP!!!!

Even funnier is Apple just tells you that it's better on our side so switch. Dell has to bribe you. I see this as Dell admitting that their products are weak compared to Apple. In any event, they wouldn't just do this if Apple wasn't going anywhere. Someone's scared...

Apple would never do this. It's really a stupid proposition. You trade in your old computer and buy a completely different platform with different software and we'll give you some money. However, you'll have to immediately spend that money on new software that you used on your old one.

Apple doesn't have to do this, they have a superior product in quality, style and coming soon... speed. Dell would have to drastically change it's production philosophy in order to compete with apple for quality and style.

PowerBook User
Jul 23, 2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Sayhey
I'd have to agree. Maybe Dell is scared. Anyway, I'd take a Blue and White G3 over a new Dell any day.

Capt Underpants
Jul 23, 2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by PowerBook User
I'd have to agree. Maybe Dell is scared. Anyway, I'd take a Blue and White G3 over a new Dell any day.

I think I would take the new dell, sell it, and get a g4. My business skills are growing these days. ;)

kzoonut
Jul 23, 2003, 10:03 PM
After thinking about it a bit more, I think Apple is too responsible of a company to offer something like this. Honesty, imagine...up to $250 for a Pentium 3 or Athlon T-Bird - what would Apple do with all the takers? I'd be worried about the landfills....

Along the same lines - what is Dell going to do with the computers they take in exchange? I'm sure they could fetch a fair price on eBay. I think they already have a strong presence there with their refurbed laptops - kinda like a win-win for them, * if * anybody takes them up on the offer.

Could you imagine admitting to your mac friends that you switched back? No sir, just couldn't do it....

Sun Baked
Jul 23, 2003, 10:24 PM
MacNN reader Alex Bortvin notes that Dell is offering Mac users at the Whitehead Institute (Cambridge MA) incentives to switch to from a Mac to a Dell system Dell made a serious attack in Apple's traditional education market when they tripped and Dell gobbled up market share.

Now Dell's going after the science market seems like a logical extension of the kill Apple's strongpoint efforts.

It might be a narrow attack right now. But, this sounds like the first round in a coming war to counter the PowerMac G5 & XServe G5 Clusters.

jbomber
Jul 23, 2003, 10:34 PM
maybe if apple didn't have the lot of us sitting on our damn hands (and wallets) waiting for new equipment (15" Al powerbooks) to come out, this would never have happened.

how much longer can apple really wait to put out these things? I'm dying on the vine here and sooner or later i'm going to come to a point where i'll just have to make a purchase. New Powerbook or not, the clock's almost run out...

applemacdude
Jul 24, 2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by kzoonut
what would Apple do with all the takers? I'd be worried about the landfills....

maybe this www.accrc.org

bennetsaysargh
Jul 24, 2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by applemacdude
maybe this www.accrc.org

i'll take a cube off of thier hands if they want:D