Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

efunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
I'm willing to convert all my music videos collection to "Mac friendly" but also as high as possible video format with size about 50 Mb per video file. I want to know which program, video format, settings should I use? I'm new to video converting and own a mac only for 6 months so be descriptive please. BTW current format of music videos: mostly .VOB's, some .avi's and few .mpeg's
Any help will be appreciated.

skimaxpower

Jan 13, 2006
Your best option is Quicktime Pro. It's exports are a bit slower, but the quality is great. You will have to pay, but it's very reasonable.

The cheapest good option is FFMPEGX - a great all-around video conversion program for your AVI and MPEG. FFMPEGX will convert just about anything.

50mb is probably overkill for a 4 minute music video, but if quality is that important to you, go ahead. However, your MPEG videos are poorly-compressed MPEG-1 video. Think 1997 here. A 4 minute music vid is what, about 40mb? Making it a 50mb .mov is not gonna ADD quality, just filesize.

i would suggest experimenting a little, and finding a bitrate that makes you comfortable. Then sticking to it for everything. If you want high quality, maybe go with 500k/s for the video, and 128k/s for the audio.

oh, and be sure NOT to change the resolution on all those AVI and MPEG files. They've already been resized once. Don't do it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.