PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper headphone adapter and it's even made by Apple

DylanG
Jul 17, 2007, 02:17 PM
I picked this up on another forum and it's such a nice solution that I wanted to pass it on. Apple made a case for the first gen Shuffle that included a headphone extender. It fits the iPhone and is just a couple of inches long. It'll allow you to use any headphone with the iPhone and isn't as annoying as the stiff Belkin adapter Apple sells.

Lots of these cases are being liquidated. Here's an example on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-Apple-iPod-Shuffle-Sport-Case-New-in-Box_W0QQitemZ290138843530QQihZ019QQcategoryZ56170QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

mcdj
Jul 17, 2007, 02:36 PM
Yup, I bought 2 of them from that guy. It works fine of course, but it's still not ideal if you have A.) black headphones, or B.) an L-shaped plug. In either case it just looks dorky IMO. Not as dorky as the Belkin adapter of course...

I've been wearing the Apple in-ear buds the past few days, fed up with adapters and soldering. I tried opening the buds to see about soldering them onto the iPhone cords, but they seem welded shut under the silver ring. Anyone had any luck with them?

I'd actually love to see Apple make in-ear iPhone buds at this point. They sound ok and the mic/button combo is going be hard to beat in such a tiny size. I think other companies will try to add other controls (volume, etc) at the expense of size and weight.

Wolo
Jul 17, 2007, 02:52 PM
Do you have any photos of this adapter in use with the iPhone?

Thanks!

tjespo22
Jul 17, 2007, 04:50 PM
this one looks good
ttp://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iPod-iPhone-Headphone-Adapter-Jack-Extension-New_W0QQitemZ130135139667QQihZ003QQcategoryZ111693QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

sunday888
Jul 18, 2007, 12:46 AM
Hmm. Unless I'm missing something, the vendors have caught on and seem to be selling the headphone extender separately now. Still might be a good deal, though.

woodbutcher
Jul 18, 2007, 09:32 PM
To take the apple ear buds apart is simple, 1) remove the rubber ear insert 2) use a sharp knife to pry off metal band 3) at the very top 12:00 is a small notch where you can get the tip of a knife in, and pry open the headphone casing 4) the grey soft rubber piece at the bottom of the earphones can be removed so that fishing the new wire is not so hard Lastly, I had a hard time fishing the cable through the hole, so I used a small drill bit to open it up. Mine sound OK, not my shures, but they will do until someone makes something better.