PDA

View Full Version : A $70 remote that works with iPhone (sorta)

mcdj
Jul 17, 2007, 04:48 PM
If you're like me, you're not using the iPhone stock buds, so play/pause/skip is not an option. And if you're like me, you've missed having a remote, ever since the original iPod remote was phased out.

Well I was poking around J&R in NYC on Sunday and found an interesting product, the MyBlu (http://www.myblu6.com/) remote. (It also appears to be sold under the name BluEye.) It's made for regular iPods and is touted as providing a Bluetooth solution for caller id, making/receiving calls using your iPod as a go-between with your cell phone, an FM radio, and music control via the remote itself.

I couldn't get the Bluetooth to work on my iPhone. Bluetooth paired ok, but the iPhone didn't seem to want to let me actually use it to answer a call. The radio didn't work either. The radio interface is supposed to show up on the iPod screen. No idea if it uses Apple's radio interface or what, but the iPhone screen showed nothing and thus there was no way to tune the radio.

But what did work, albeit a little clutzily, was the remote. The remote itself is about the same size and shape as the old Apple clip-on remote. It has a standard headphone jack on one end, and a tiny proprietary plug on the other. The unit comes with a cord; one end of the cord has a dock connection for the iPod/iPhone, the other end is the tiny plug that goes into the remote. Plug your own headphones (!) into the remote, plug the dock connector into the iPod/iPhone, connect the remote to the small plug and you have a working remote for your iPhone.

The clutzy parts...

Adjusting the volume on the remote does not move the volume slider on the phone.

There's a built in mic on the remote but it doesn't seem to work.

All in all, phone related functions didn't seem to work well. I didn't play with it too long, but I got the impression that you would probably have to unplug it from the phone completely to make or receive a call. But strictly for being able to play/pause, move forward/back, and adjust volume on the iPhone's iPod, it worked fine, and so far seems to be the only remote that can say that.

The company's website says it has upgradeable firmware, so who knows, maybe we'll see better iPhone compatibility some day. For $70 though, it's probably not worth writing as much as I did. ;)
I guess what was most interesting about the MyBlu is that it proves the iphone *can* receive remote commands via the dock connector, despite Apple's own radio remote not working at all.

With any luck, Apple, or someone else, will give us a better remote for less money sooner than later.

http://www.gear4store.com/images/products/medium3_237.jpg

jimbot
Jul 17, 2007, 05:52 PM
those earbuds look just as bad as the stock ones that come with the iphone

mcdj
Jul 17, 2007, 06:04 PM
The unit doesn't come with ear buds...those are probably just pictured for scale.

jbomber
Jul 26, 2007, 10:02 PM
hey, have you had a chance to play with the remote any more? I'm really holding out hope that apple gets it together and makes the iPod radio remote compatible. (seemed like a no-brainer to me, go figure) Anyway, if they don't do the obvious, it'd be nice to know if this thing is a serviceable, albeit expensive, solution. Thanks!