Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
I'm a high school student extremely interested in video and film as a career. I've been participating in film festivals and even made the move to Mac to better my videos.

Now I have a Sony DCR-HC90 and have had it for a year or two. Everything works fine and I have no complaints except for some pro features that its lacking.

I'd love manual focus wheel, progressive scan, even 60 fps mode for slo-mo.

Do you think a move to a GL2 is good enough? Will it make an image difference?

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
If you're looking at something that is not HD, but is still a step up, seriously consider Panasonic's vx100a or vx100b. Those are widely considered to be the best of the prosumer mini-dv camcorders.

In my opinion, you should look into getting an HD camcorder. Everything is heading that direction and since you're looking into this as a profession and don't need the camcorder for a job now, it would be best to wait or just bite the bullet and get a nice prosumer HD camera.

P-Worm

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Besides your camera, what other gear do you have (lightening, audio, DIY dolley/steady-cam, etc.,)? If you don't already have things like that spending a few hundred dollars to get them will be much more useful than buying a new camera.

Lethal

NickD

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2007
Colorado
The GL2 has proven to have great results. Focus on a good lighting rig first and foremost, and then see what you think. The GL2 is great though.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
well the thing that kills me is that i've spent hundreds on accessories for the current camcorder i have. and since its sony, they only work with that one.

but i do have a wireless bluetooth mic for the camera, which produces GREAT sound results. but the only lighting i use is when we're shooting on a green screen.

it's difficult to lug around much equipment.

but i do have a steady hand!

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
The best bang for your buck with regards to making your videos look better is to get a tripod. Even a cheap $30 is a whole lot better than using your hand.

P-Worm

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
totally agree. i've had a tripod from the beginning & that's what sets my videos apart from some other ones.

NickD

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2007
Colorado
So maybe you could look at an even better true-fluid head tripod (Bogen?), and some lighting instead of a new camera.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
so it seems like lighting is the key. thanks a lot - i'll look into getting a light kit or improvising on some of the pieces.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Let me recommend a book for you. It's called the DV Rebel's Guide to Making Killer Action Movies on the Cheap. You may not be doing action, but this book has a lot of great tips to making your videos show a lot of production value without breaking the bank.

P-Worm

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Let me recommend a book for you. It's called the DV Rebel's Guide to Making Killer Action Movies on the Cheap. You may not be doing action, but this book has a lot of great tips to making your videos show a lot of production value without breaking the bank.

P-Worm

And let me provide a link. :)

I have to 2nd P-Worm that it is a great book. I'm glad you are looking into getting lights even though more gear means more stuff to schlep around, but lighting is pretty much key. What is your camera recording? Light. I've often heard DPs describe what they do as "painting with light."

Lethal

Mr B

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2006
Washington DC
2 Questions for you guys:

1. P-Worm, I checked out you movies and liked them alot, what dimensions were you making your quicktimes? (the action test and the good sandwhich one?)

2. I am shooting a short film in 2 weeks. I can use my GL-2 or my friends PD-170, but I recently shot with an XL-2 in 24p and loved it, not sure I can go back. So, in your opinion, should I just shoot in frame/progressive mode on the GL-2 or PD-170, or should I make sure I get my hands on DVX-100? In other words, what are your opinions on the frame/progressive mode from those 2 cameras? (I hate the normal 60 mode).

Thanks!

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
If you see an embedded QT file like mine, you can view the source code and it will tell you the dimensions (roughly because you need to account for the extra pixels needed for the scrubber bar). What I have been doing lately, I think both Action Test and Hungry! fall in this category, is recording with markers on my viewfinder of where I am going to crop the video so that I can get the 2.35:1 aspect ratio instead of 16:9. Then later in Compressor I tell it that I am outputting in 2.35:1.

Hope that helps.

P-Worm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.