PDA

View Full Version : Michael Vick indicted on dog fighting charges.

iSaint
Jul 17, 2007, 07:04 PM
CNN SI (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/07/17/vick.indicted.ap/index.html?cnn=yes)

freakin' low-life

I'm sorry, but this screams ignorance/stupidity/arrogance

Yes, I'm judging this person, something I try not to do. What kind of person gets kicks from dog fighting?

Here's a link (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=306444) to a previous discussion on dog fighting involving NFL players.

Peace
Jul 17, 2007, 07:47 PM
Forget about the Falcons this year.

Dog fighting is acceptable in many countries.So I'm not going to put any value judgments on the guy.I still believe in America where a man is innocent until proven guilty.

KristieMac
Jul 17, 2007, 07:49 PM
I can't stand dogfighting or any similar type of animal fights. Arrggh. Makes me want to punch people. :mad:

artalliance
Jul 17, 2007, 08:13 PM
Dog fighting is acceptable in many countries.

And so is stoning adulterers. :rolleyes:

Just because it's OK in other countries doesn't make it necessary acceptable to our moral codes.

Peace
Jul 17, 2007, 09:21 PM
And so is stoning adulterers. :rolleyes:

Just because it's OK in other countries doesn't make it necessary acceptable to our moral codes.

I agree.I certainly wouldn't do it merely because I like animals.

I wasn't aware there were a set of "moral codes" written somewhere in the constitution though.

miloblithe
Jul 17, 2007, 10:51 PM
I agree.I certainly wouldn't do it merely because I like animals.

I wasn't aware there were a set of "moral codes" written somewhere in the constitution though.

Moral or not, dog fighting is illegal in all 50 U.S. states, and felony in all except in Idaho and Wyoming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_fighting_in_the_United_States#Laws_in_US

I hope if found guilty, he gets the maximum jail time allowed. A $350,000 fine would be less than a slap on the wrist to some someone who makes the kind of money he does.

Lovely family:

"During the 2006 Gator Bowl on January 2, 2006, [Marcus] Vick once again courted controversy when he violently stomped on the leg of University of Louisville defensive end Elvis Dumervil with his foot."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Vick#2005:_strong_playing.2C_more_incidents

Gymnut
Jul 17, 2007, 11:18 PM
I think the NFL and the Falcons are correct in the wait and see approach. I do not condone dog fighting, but wouldn't it be prudent to allow due process before rushing to judgement? I mean not too long ago the country was up in arms when three Duke lacrosse players were accused of raping a stripper at an off campus party and look at how that has panned out. I wouldn't go so far as to say that Michael Vick is a model citizen and that all the people he chooses to surround himself are upstanding citizens, but he will have his day in court.
What is intriguing is the quarterback situation should Vick be not available next season since the Falcons traded away Matt Schaub to the Texans.

Edit: iSaint, there are numerous countries where people are allowed to pit animals against each other to the death. While some such as you and me, find such acts appalling, there's no doubt that some of the things that we Americans find perfectly normal and acceptable are just as appalling to those from other countries.

LethalWolfe
Jul 17, 2007, 11:26 PM
I think the NFL and the Falcons are correct in the wait and see approach. I do not condone dog fighting, but wouldn't it be prudent to allow due process before rushing to judgement? I mean not too long ago the country was up in arms when three Duke lacrosse players were accused of raping a stripper at an off campus party and look at how that has panned out. I wouldn't go so far as to say that Michael Vick is a model citizen and that all the people he chooses to surround himself are upstanding citizens, but he will have his day in court.

Agreed.

Lethal

miloblithe
Jul 17, 2007, 11:41 PM
Edit: iSaint, there are numerous countries where people are allowed to pit animals against each other to the death. While some such as yourself, find such acts appalling, there's no doubt that some of the things that we Americans find perfectly normal and acceptable are just as appalling to those from other countries.

Who cares? Michael Vick is an American [allegedly] committing illegal--and by American standards immoral--acts within the U.S.

This is not an exercise in cultural relativism.

Gymnut
Jul 17, 2007, 11:51 PM
Who cares? Michael Vick is an American [allegedly] committing illegal--and by American standards immoral--acts within the U.S.

This is not an exercise in cultural relativism.

Thank you for stating the obvious. Is there a moral code of conduct that you can refer us Americans to? I mean after all according to that Wikipedia article, dog fighting was once legal and sanctioned and promoted during the colonial periods through to the late 19th century in the U.S.

miloblithe
Jul 17, 2007, 11:56 PM
Thank you for stating the obvious. Is there a moral code of conduct that you can refer us Americans to? I mean after all according to that Wikipedia article, dog fighting was once legal and sanctioned and promoted during the colonial periods through to the late 19th century in the U.S.

So was slavery. Times change.

Are you a big fan of rhetorical questions? No, there is no official U.S. moral code of conduct. I would think that, of all things, is obvious.

Gymnut
Jul 18, 2007, 12:12 AM
I'm not really following you here. The OP mentioned that he could not understand what kind of "man gets his kicks" watching two animals fight to the death. I simply mentioned that while I do not condone blood sport, it is a venue that is openly conducted in various countries around the world. Yes it is appalling but the value and place of animals is significantly different in other countries than it is here in the U.S. On the flipside, what we Americans do and what we perceive as normal and inalienable rights are met with the same shocking reaction in other countries. My intent was never to say that just because [insert country of your choice] allows bloodsport that we Americans should now tolerate and legalize it.

Your reply was "who cares" and while my intent was never for an "exercise in cultural relativism", this is afterall an OPEN forum.

Oh yeah, and my earlier query about a "moral code of conduct" was an attempt at sarcasm which no doubt failed to hit its mark.

miloblithe
Jul 18, 2007, 12:14 AM
Clearly, I need to get off my moral high horse again (I do find myself up here way too often these days). I'll blame it on being really sleepy, and head off to bed.

Keebler
Jul 18, 2007, 08:05 AM
well, i don't like dog fighting, but i can't let that opinion get in the way of judging a guy before he's found guilty. maybe his relatives did run this without his knowledge or maybe he tried using them as a smokescreen. who knows....

we will never know the truth. sure, he might end up convicted guilty, but really, could they be building a case just against him? The one thing to watch for is if anyone with a grudge against him, who knew about this fighting, comes forward to nail him.

in the end, this is all bad news for the NFL. i'm sure they're not liking the bad press. BUT, they have to wonder what some people are going to do when they are given gabillions of dollars. vick's intentions may have been good helping out relatives, but it doesn't look like it worked out this time. too much time + too much money = can be a very, very bad thing

i'm wondering if atlanta will suspend him for now or wait to see what happens. i hope they stand up tall like the bears did with tank johnson. even though his tests came back ok, the bears still did not pursue him. that is a great example for the rest of the league to say, "Hey...don't even PUT yourself in a bad situation...even if it does turn out well." anyhoo, that is changing the angle of this thread a bit.

cheers,
keebler

nbs2
Jul 18, 2007, 08:40 AM
Well, between this and the water bottle that didn't have pot, he is getting close Goodell's line of no return. If it turns out that he isn't guilty, but is "guilty", I am expecting the new NFL to drop a 6-8 game suspension. Dogfighting isn't as dangerous to the public as most other things, but Americans have a special place in their hearts for dogs and cats (see the repeated outcries over counties that use them for food) and this could be very bad publicity.

While a man should not be judged according to the law until after a fair trial, I think finding a man responsible for bad judgment can be made before. This is a case where the Vick Brothers tendency for bad things to happen around them is going to be tough to overcome - remember that with stars like Michael, most of their income is endorsement related rather than salary.

MacNut
Jul 18, 2007, 10:06 AM
Guilty or not the NFL has a problem with star players finding their way into trouble.

psycoswimmer
Jul 18, 2007, 10:16 AM
Sometimes, dogs weren't fed to "make it more hungry for the other dog," it said.

That's sick.

I can't see how people could be amused by this.

MacNut
Jul 18, 2007, 10:28 AM
That's sick.

I can't see how people could be amused by this.They also bet $1000s of dollars on it too.

artalliance
Jul 18, 2007, 12:04 PM

I never said anything about the Constituation.

Doesn't mean other codes of conduct don't exist though.

iSaint
Jul 18, 2007, 01:06 PM
The indictment says they killed eight dogs that weren't aggressive or tough enough by drowning, hanging, or even slamming them to the ground.

barr08
Jul 18, 2007, 01:29 PM
I heard on a radio program that they tie up a female dog to a thing they have accurately named a "rape pole" and let the males have at it before a fight. :eek:
How f'd up can you get?

blue knight
Jul 19, 2007, 06:30 AM
The torture and killing of animals is typically a precursor to violence against humans. While yes, Michael Vick aka Ookie (loved that) has yet to have his day in court so far it sounds like the evidence against him is pretty strong. There has to be a good reason that this case was turned over to the Feds and not prosecuted at the state level. Bad for Vick on that one, rule of thumb is that you serve at least 85% of a federal sentence.

Gymnut
Jul 19, 2007, 08:25 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/18/dog.fighting/index.html

Queso
Jul 19, 2007, 08:36 AM
Probably overcompensating for knowing he plays rugby all padded up like a girl.

iJon
Jul 19, 2007, 06:57 PM
I don't think he will get into much trouble with this. 5 year max and $250,00 grand? He'll get off with a big fine and probably probation. Now his real problem will be with the NFL. They take this stuff very seriously and I can see them suspending him for a year or so for this incident.

jon

iSaint
Jul 19, 2007, 07:12 PM
I heard on a radio program that they tie up a female dog to a thing they have accurately named a "rape pole" and let the males have at it before a fight. :eek:
How f'd up can you get?

Vuzie
Jul 19, 2007, 07:53 PM
was listening to the radio this morning and the dj's were talking about how the losing dogs were often hung or electrocuted. :mad: yeah.. pretty sick.. how could vick even condone something like that. the dj's suggested the falcons hooked electrodes up to vick and every time he f'ed up on field or lost a game.... zzzzzzap!

MacNut
Jul 20, 2007, 03:18 PM
In what has quickly evolved into a collaborative effort that includes input of officials from the NFL, NFL Players Association and Atlanta Falcons, embattled quarterback Michael Vick could be urged to take a voluntary leave of absence to focus his energy on the legal challenges from a federal dogfighting indictment confronting him, sources said.http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2943276

mikeinmd81
Jul 24, 2007, 03:51 AM
Dog fighting is terrible, but cultures all around the world have this form of entertainment/gambling opportunity. But where should all the media attention go to, the War in Iraq, those are animals, yet Americans has let a few people have the power to kill close to half a million people.

Yeah, we are the moral compass of the world.

Father Jack
Jul 24, 2007, 04:25 AM
Hang the bast*rd

rdowns
Jul 24, 2007, 04:57 AM
Hang the bast*rd

That's a bit extreme, no?

Why not dip his family jewels in gravy and put them in the ring with the dogs? Are we not a civilized society?

Father Jack
Jul 24, 2007, 07:47 AM
That's a bit extreme, no?

Why not dip his family jewels in gravy and put them in the ring with the dogs? Are we not a civilized society?
That's a good idea .. :) Then hang him.

ps
Make sure the gravy is very, very hot.

ob81
Jul 24, 2007, 08:59 AM
Well, Hopefully something happens to him if he is guilty. They way they killed those dogs is jacked up.

Vick doesn't seem to be phased (http://ob81.com/2007/07/21/come-on-michael-vick/) though.

sigh :mad:

MacNut
Jul 24, 2007, 06:39 PM
The Atlanta Falcons have banned Michael Vick from training camp and suspended him 4 games.
espn (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2947821)

LethalWolfe
Jul 24, 2007, 07:08 PM
The Atlanta Falcons have banned Michael Vick from training camp and suspended him 4 games.
Not quite. The NFL told Vick not to show up for training camp and told the Falcons not to assess any sort of punishment at this time even. Before receiving word from the league office the Falcons were planning on suspending Vick for 4 games.

Lethal

MacNut
Jul 24, 2007, 07:15 PM
Not quite. The NFL told Vick not to show up for training camp and told the Falcons not to assess any sort of punishment at this time even. Before receiving word from the league office the Falcons were planning on suspending Vick for 4 games.

LethalThe way the press conference sounded I got the impression that he was suspended indefinitely.

twoodcc
Jul 24, 2007, 08:57 PM
all i've got to say is the falcons are gonna be horrible with vick. he is the offense

Gymnut
Jul 24, 2007, 11:27 PM
The way the press conference sounded I got the impression that he was suspended indefinitely.

From what I understand is the NFL told Michael Vick to not report to training camp while it conducts it's own investigation as to whether he has violated the leagues personal conduct policies. Vick will still be paid his pre-season pay, but I wouldn't doubt a ruling will be made within the next two to three weeks when and if the NFL completes their own investigation. A suspension would more than seem likely, but as for how long is anyone's guess.

Abstract
Jul 24, 2007, 11:51 PM
The indictment says they killed eight dogs that weren't aggressive or tough enough by drowning, hanging, or even slamming them to the ground.

How f'd up can you get?

That is ****ed up. All of it.

Yes, I'm judging this person, something I try not to do.

If it's clear-cut enough, then yes I do.

This can't be explained in less extreme terms. There's no soft story. There's no "I was helping an old lady cross the street, when I looked to my left and saw 2 pitbulls fighting.......(in my house). Mysteriously, money started flying out of my pocket, and the rest is history...." :rolleyes:

That's crap. Should have given him 8-12 games, maybe the season.

maccam
Jul 25, 2007, 08:24 AM
Meh, there's nothing wrong with dog fighting... What is cool, is rooster fighting but thats still banned in america. :(

2nyRiggz
Jul 28, 2007, 05:53 AM
So dude done messed up his Nike deal.....come on Mr. Vick you are messing up that running game you got.

Mr. Vick will find himself being oust out of a lot of deals....so sad.

Bless

Lord Blackadder
Jul 28, 2007, 12:05 PM
I don't have sympathy for people who are given everything and then throw it all away...Vick has the simplest of tasks before him: play a game, make sick amounts of cash, and don't get in trouble with the law. Like so many other NFL players, he fails at this. How stupid can you be?

william sire
Aug 6, 2007, 05:43 AM
Guilty !

miloblithe
Aug 13, 2007, 12:42 PM
Meh, there's nothing wrong with dog fighting... What is cool, is rooster fighting but thats still banned in america. :(

Although there will apparently still be persons of low moral character who will defend Vick, apparently, the NFL commissioner isn't one of them:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-vick081207&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

He's likely done for the year.

Two NFL sources said that commissioner Roger Goodell likely will announce this week or next the suspension of Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick for the 2007 season.

floriflee
Aug 14, 2007, 11:16 PM
So dude done messed up his Nike deal.....come on Mr. Vick you are messing up that running game you got.

Mr. Vick will find himself being oust out of a lot of deals....so sad.

Bless

I don't have sympathy for people who are given everything and then throw it all away...Vick has the simplest of tasks before him: play a game, make sick amounts of cash, and don't get in trouble with the law. Like so many other NFL players, he fails at this. How stupid can you be?

This isn't just applicable for sports celebrities. I recall similar things being said about Kate Moss when she was caught in photos doing cocaine. There were rumors that her career was over and several of her contracts were rescinded. Yet she still came back (to some extent, at least). IMO we are too forgetful and forgiving of celebrity. A one year suspension seems like hardly a slap on the wrist when you've already made that much money. I would hope for something that will really make him re-think his actions.

MacNut
Aug 20, 2007, 01:46 PM
espn (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2983121)
Michael Vick will plead guilty to federal dogfighting charges next Monday, his lawyer announced today. All three of Vick's co-defendants also took pleas. No details have been released on the length of prison time Vick faces.Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick accepted a plea deal Monday to avoid additional federal charges in a dogfighting case and now faces a likely lengthy prison sentence.

"After consulting with his family over the weekend, Michael Vick has asked that I announce today that he has reached an agreement with federal prosecutors regarding charges pending against him," Billy Martin, one of Vick's attorneys, said in a statement.
"Mr. Vick has agreed to enter a plea of guilty to those charges and to accept full responsibility for his actions and the mistakes he has made. Michael wishes to apologize again to everyone who has been hurt by this matter.
The terms of Vick's prison term are not yet known.
All three of Vick's co-defendants have reached plea deals in the case. Vick had been facing a Nov. 26 trial date.
Vick's last two co-defendants pleaded guilty Friday and said he bankrolled gambling on dogfights at the quarterback's property in rural Surry County, not far from his hometown of Newport News. One said Vick helped drown or hang dogs that didn't do well.

furcalchick
Aug 20, 2007, 02:23 PM
vick is a sick person. what a scumbag. thought he was overrated anyway. my friend in atlanta who never liked vick had a gut feeling about him being no good for the franchise all along (since day one) and it turns out he was right. the falcons are kicking themselves for giving vick that cash and trading schaub. vick has no fans left, they don't even want to talk about him.

vick can say goodbye to all of his other endorsements. i think this is going to be as big as the pete rose and oj cases (could be this generation's version of it).

cowherd on vick: http://youtube.com/watch?v=6pEBmS87_jQ

and my saints will win the south so easily, i hate the falcons.:)

Sun Baked
Aug 20, 2007, 08:36 PM
Can't wait for the non-comment comment by the NFL days after the guilty plea, "We are still conducting our own investigation into the incident." :rolleyes:

Especially since he isn't legally guilty yet.

Edit: Still got to wait a couple days until he enters his plea, though I'm sure we will see the he was railroaded statements soon anyhow.

Iscariot
Aug 21, 2007, 05:20 AM
Probably overcompensating for knowing he plays rugby all padded up like a girl.

Quoted for truth.

Keebler
Aug 21, 2007, 02:59 PM
i'm interested to see what the new commish is going to do with vick.

what vick did was wrong to say the least. he'll be put in jail and fined big time. he'll probably be suspended for a year or 2 by the nfl.

BUT, this talk of banning him forever kind of bothers me. not b/c i don't believe that is right b/c that would be perfect actually, but a guy like Leonard little is still playing and he KILLED a lady DRUNK DRIVING.

AND, if my memory serves me correct, he also was nailed for DD AGAIN a few years later. Now of course, that was a different commish, but why in the hell that moron is still playing is beyond me. What Vick did was wrong, but i'm pretty sure it's not worse than what Little did. Who knows...maybe they're on the same level.

The point is i'm just interested to see what Goodell is going to do. I bet he's beyond p*ssed considering Vick told him not to worry.

Stories like and Brendan Bell, a defenceman for the Toronto Maple Leafs, really want to turn me off pro sports. Bell got in a DD accident, hurt a guy and tried running from the scene. get this: his jail sentence is delayed UNTIL after the SEASON! WTF!?!?! must be nice.....

ugh.

Cheers,
Keebler

Yebot
Aug 22, 2007, 01:16 PM
http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/1745/att1634836hh7.jpg

furcalchick
Aug 24, 2007, 10:36 PM
vick suspended without pay. http://us.rd.yahoo.com/sports/rss/nfl/SIG=12ah47g31/*http%3A//sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-michaelvick&prov=ap&type=lgns

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/pdf/070824/michaelvickletter.pdf -goodell's letter to ron mexico.

he also lost his nike contract. http://us.rd.yahoo.com/sports/rss/nfl/SIG=128qr9t9c/*http%3A//sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-vick-nike&prov=ap&type=lgns

good news for frenchy and the rest of the braves to gobble up vick's old stuff.

joepunk
Aug 29, 2007, 09:22 AM
What a jerk and a moron he is imo. Especially since he has come out about "finding" Jesus :confused:

Why is this whole I’ve-found-Jesus detail trotted out in news reports? People who’ve made a big public fuss about “finding Jesus” are no less likely to commit crimes than people who are incapable of locating this Jesus person.

:mad:

Queso
Aug 29, 2007, 10:00 AM
What a jerk and a moron he is imo. Especially since he has come out about "finding" Jesus :confused:

Why is this whole I’ve-found-Jesus detail trotted out in news reports? People who’ve made a big public fuss about “finding Jesus” are no less likely to commit crimes than people who are incapable of locating this Jesus person.

Because most of society is conditioned to respect the religion/morality link, so as a defence it's quite effective at winning people over. Including judges apparently.

bocomo
Aug 29, 2007, 09:47 PM
Because most of society is conditioned to respect the religion/morality link, so as a defence it's quite effective at winning people over. Including judges apparently.

just makes me want to be a judge! i would throw the book at him - and definitely no suspended or delayed sentence either. that stuff really makes me mad.

just put him in the fighting pit with some dogs and be done with it

Iscariot
Aug 30, 2007, 01:07 AM
I was reading an op/ed piece by a sports commentor on the subway today. He posited that Michael Vick's NFL career -- especially in the face of an apology and "finding God" -- will resume upon his release.

Jansinnet
Oct 3, 2007, 06:54 PM
It is a horrible thing to do. If he is found guilty he should be punished.
I think that he will be found guilty & I think his football career is done.

zioxide
Oct 3, 2007, 07:00 PM
It is a horrible thing to do. If he is found guilty he should be punished.
I think that he will be found guilty & I think his football career is done.

nah, he'll be in the CFL for the 2009 season

twoodcc
Oct 5, 2007, 06:57 AM

didn't Deion Sanders do something like that? it worked for him, though i don't recall people hating him.

any new word on the charges brought to him by the state?

jecapaga
Jul 27, 2009, 02:43 PM
Michael Vick reinstated by the NFL (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,534970,00.html)

Once the season begins, Vick may participate in all team activities other than games, but could play as soon as October

I can't imagine what team will sign him but you know someone will take a chance on him.

thegoldenmackid
Jul 27, 2009, 02:52 PM
Michael Vick reinstated by the NFL (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,534970,00.html)

I can't imagine what team will sign him but you know someone will take a chance on him.

Umm... the Bronco's are going to need an actual QB at some point throughout the season...Plus, the Raiders will take anyone and Al Davis is not one to care about what people think...

Keebler
Jul 27, 2009, 03:02 PM
i don't agree with what he did, but i think he's served the time according to what he was served with. Again, I'm not justifying what he did.

BUT and this is a big BUT, the NFL unfortunately doesn't discriminate against criminals harshly enough.

If we were to look at this at a : "hey, you broke the law, you aren't playing" point of view which applied to ANY player breaking the law, then I don't believe he should be playing.

BUT, Leonard Little is a perfect example of that ideology not existing.

He killed a MOTHER while drunk driving!!! He played after that! He got away with it! AND, he continued to play after ANOTHER drunk driving charge a few years ago. If that's not the ultimate head-turning-in-the-other direction from the NFL, I don't know what is. Granted, that was a different commissioner at the time, but that is unacceptable.

So, yes, in this situation, what Vick did was wrong, but not as bad as some others.

I don't agree with the "I found God" stuff either. Everyone says it and as someone else said, that phrase works on ppl.

Let's just hope he does right about it, learns and maybe uses the millions he's going to make, to help others.

Positive stuff can happen in life from negative situations.

yg17
Jul 27, 2009, 03:34 PM

He killed a MOTHER while drunk driving!!! He played after that! He got away with it! AND, he continued to play after ANOTHER drunk driving charge a few years ago. If that's not the ultimate head-turning-in-the-other direction from the NFL, I don't know what is. Granted, that was a different commissioner at the time, but that is unacceptable.

I live in St. Louis and was around for the whole Leonard Little saga, and let me just say that man is a worthless piece of **** and a waste of human flesh and should be rotting in a jail cell right now spending his days with his horny cellmate Bubba.

Michael Vick isn't much better. I think all sports should have a rule where if you're convicted of a felony, you're out for life.

Keebler
Jul 27, 2009, 03:48 PM
I live in St. Louis and was around for the whole Leonard Little saga, and let me just say that man is a worthless piece of **** and a waste of human flesh and should be rotting in a jail cell right now spending his days with his horny cellmate Bubba.

Michael Vick isn't much better. I think all sports should have a rule where if you're convicted of a felony, you're out for life.

your last line is bang on: one felony, you're privilege is gonzo.

Krafty
Jul 27, 2009, 04:13 PM

Couldnt agree more.

ucfgrad93
Jul 27, 2009, 05:29 PM
i don't agree with what he did, but i think he's served the time according to what he was served with. Again, I'm not justifying what he did.

BUT and this is a big BUT, the NFL unfortunately doesn't discriminate against criminals harshly enough.

If we were to look at this at a : "hey, you broke the law, you aren't playing" point of view which applied to ANY player breaking the law, then I don't believe he should be playing.

So, yes, in this situation, what Vick did was wrong, but not as bad as some others.

I don't agree with the "I found God" stuff either. Everyone says it and as someone else said, that phrase works on ppl.

Let's just hope he does right about it, learns and maybe uses the millions he's going to make, to help others.

Positive stuff can happen in life from negative situations.

Agreed, if Donte Stallworth (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4262751) is still eligible to play, then Vick should be too.

BPresley321
Jul 27, 2009, 05:32 PM

Couldnt agree more.

I agree as well. I'm tired of seeing criminals being role models for our youngsters.

And don't even get me started on rap...

Lord Blackadder
Jul 27, 2009, 09:14 PM
The NFL, like all top sports leagues, is BIG money. They can't afford to let a little felony here and there stop the gravy train.

Oh, and that goes for cheating, performance-enhancing drugs, racism, and unethical business practices was well.

Shoot, I must have forgotten to remove my cynical hat today. :rolleyes::D

opinioncircle
Jul 28, 2009, 11:04 AM

Completely agreed. One of us would have done the same, think our employer would take us back? Of course not, this just shows how much the NFL is a joke...

Ericatomars
Aug 7, 2009, 12:16 AM
I cant believe he got back into the NFL... He was my favorite player by far.. but this is... I cant wear his jersey after this! I love animals, i love dogs and the thought of someone killing dogs that don't know any better is just wrong and to bad he's in debt millions of dollars... before his accounts went into the negative they were well into the positive. He choose to make those choices and now they are giving him a second chance... Isn't getting into college and develop his talent to become a famous football player his first chance?

InvalidUserID
Aug 7, 2009, 01:03 AM
He choose to make those choices and now they are giving him a second chance... Isn't getting into college and develop his talent to become a famous football player his first chance?

I would think that getting into college and developing his talent is an accomplishment, not a chance.

While I don't agree with his actions, I think Vick has paid his debt to society. He was sentenced, served his time, apologized and is trying to move on with his life.

Should society insist that he get the death penalty or life in prison? Does that punishment fit the crime? I think this sends a message to kids that you commit a crime and you will do time unlike former NBA player Jayson Williams who served no jailtime for a far more heinous act.

nuckinfutz
Aug 7, 2009, 01:47 AM
I agree as well. I'm tired of seeing criminals being role models for our youngsters.

And don't even get me started on rap...

Rap? LOL. You want to see criminal look towards white collar boondoggles like Enron leading right up to the AIG hacks.

It's funny that people spend an inordinate amount of time demonizing entertainers. Frankly I'm as disgusted with the crime that appears to be embedded in Politics and Big Business.

I cant believe he got back into the NFL... He was my favorite player by far.. but this is... I cant wear his jersey after this! I love animals, i love dogs and the thought of someone killing dogs that don't know any better is just wrong and to bad he's in debt millions of dollars... before his accounts went into the negative they were well into the positive. He choose to make those choices and now they are giving him a second chance... Isn't getting into college and develop his talent to become a famous football player his first chance?

Second chances are good. There are certain crimes you don't get second chances for though. What Vick did was wrong but animal fighting is nothing new...sadly.

KingYaba
Aug 8, 2009, 07:28 PM
Completely agreed. One of us would have done the same, think our employer would take us back? Of course not, this just shows how much the NFL is a joke...

The NFL is not a joke. The man served his time.

dukebound85
Aug 8, 2009, 07:35 PM

I agree. He has paid his debt by serving like 2 years

Every man deserves to make a living through his trade
I would think that getting into college and developing his talent is an accomplishment, not a chance.

While I don't agree with his actions, I think Vick has paid his debt to society. He was sentenced, served his time, apologized and is trying to move on with his life.

Should society insist that he get the death penalty or life in prison? Does that punishment fit the crime? I think this sends a message to kids that you commit a crime and you will do time unlike former NBA player Jayson Williams who served no jailtime for a far more heinous act.
or Ray Lewis

I have found it disturbing how people get more upset over dogs getting killed than murders

NC MacGuy
Aug 8, 2009, 08:08 PM
He did his time and could use a job & I'm pretty sure dog fighting is out for the guy. He lost enough and only has so many years left to make a living so IMHO, let him play. He's not a role model nor either are most of the other players of nearly all professional sports.

opinioncircle
Aug 9, 2009, 06:21 AM

Yes it is. There is no corporation on earth that would allow the type of misconduct the way the NFL does...(that also goes for MLB, NBA, and such...)

I agree. He has paid his debt by serving like 2 years

Every man deserves to make a living through his trade

Sure he does. At a factory, not making millions in the UFL or NFL. If you were found guilty of the same charges, would you have gotten 2 years? Nope...

dmr727
Aug 9, 2009, 09:35 AM
Yes it is. There is no corporation on earth that would allow the type of misconduct the way the NFL does...(that also goes for MLB, NBA, and such...)

I dunno - the NFL is in the business of making money. They let him back in because they know Vick will sell seats and generate ratings. I'm not sure that the MLB or NBA would do it any differently.

I'm not saying it's right, but I can't say I'm all that surprised.

opinioncircle
Aug 9, 2009, 10:32 AM
I dunno - the NFL is in the business of making money. They let him back in because they know Vick will sell seats and generate ratings. I'm not sure that the MLB or NBA would do it any differently.

I'm not saying it's right, but I can't say I'm all that surprised.

I agree with you, but in every business a code of ethics should be respected.

My beef isn't only with the NFL, it's all major sports league. As long as it's entertaining and making money on both ends, not a lot of people seem to care if it's morally right or wrong...

NC MacGuy
Aug 9, 2009, 11:45 AM
I agree with you, but in every business a code of ethics should be respected.

My beef isn't only with the NFL, it's all major sports league. As long as it's entertaining and making money on both ends, not a lot of people seem to care if it's morally right or wrong...

On the other hand, if the pro sports leagues start truly adhering to a code of ethics, how many top name players would be playing? I agree with you but society is where it is. Matter of fact, if we took a STRICT code of ethics to our political arena we wouldn't have had our last three presidents.

yojitani
Aug 9, 2009, 01:39 PM
On the other hand, if the pro sports leagues start truly adhering to a code of ethics, how many top name players would be playing? I agree with you but society is where it is. Matter of fact, if we took a STRICT code of ethics to our political arena we wouldn't have had our last three presidents.

and on that, what would happen if those athletes weren't allowed to breeze through school?

bruinsrme
Aug 9, 2009, 01:58 PM
Code of ethics, truly laughable.

How many politicians have had ethics violations. there are the law makers and policy makers.
Hockey players in accidents while drunk killing others
Baseball and steroids
Football players getting shot, dog fighting and so on.
Hollywood stars in rehab like its aday spa.
Wall street investors.
How about these banking executives that are costing taxpayers trillions.
Bush and his antics.

So what if a pro athlete is not educated so you say. Is that super geek designing futuristic gadges able to throw a football with pin point accuracy 60 yards, throw a curve ball at 88MPH, stop 100MPH slapshots, score 30+ points routinely in the NBA? More than likely not.
An athelete's forte is the sport. I got to read an NFL playbook once, it was like looking at the molecular structure of some intense gas.
Vick's crime is, in my eyes, disgusting. He went through the process set forth. His obligation has been met.
If his profession is football well so be it. it' not his fault if he gets picked up his salary will be more than a lot of people's.
I hope Vick does get picked up.

Mac7
Aug 9, 2009, 02:26 PM
Mike Vick deserves to be reinstated. He's gitting more **** than Dante Stallworth is getting, and Dante only served 30 days!?!?!?

opinioncircle
Aug 12, 2009, 10:42 PM
Code of ethics, truly laughable.

How many politicians have had ethics violations. there are the law makers and policy makers.
Hockey players in accidents while drunk killing others
Baseball and steroids
Football players getting shot, dog fighting and so on.
Hollywood stars in rehab like its aday spa.
Wall street investors.
How about these banking executives that are costing taxpayers trillions.
Bush and his antics.

So what if a pro athlete is not educated so you say. Is that super geek designing futuristic gadges able to throw a football with pin point accuracy 60 yards, throw a curve ball at 88MPH, stop 100MPH slapshots, score 30+ points routinely in the NBA? More than likely not.
An athelete's forte is the sport. I got to read an NFL playbook once, it was like looking at the molecular structure of some intense gas.
Vick's crime is, in my eyes, disgusting. He went through the process set forth. His obligation has been met.
If his profession is football well so be it. it' not his fault if he gets picked up his salary will be more than a lot of people's.
I hope Vick does get picked up.

Probably not, but that super geek would go to jail for far more than 23 months, and wouldn't find a job afterwards. I am not saying professional athletes are uneducated but if I were the commish of a pro sport league as big as the NFL or the NBA, I would put rules in place. They may not be better for business on a short term, but at least all that "make a wish" and all of those charity actions by teams and players would have a true meaning.