Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SLJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Australia
I brought a new 12" Powerbook G4 3 days ago, and yesterday I have upgraded my memory to 640MB as well... but I notice a very strange problem, when I am typing something like an email or a post... or even a URL, sometimes I get a delay or a pause for the typing to be display on the screen.

e.g. typing this message then a few seconds later.... this part out come...

any reasons why it does that?

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
It's probably not a hardware issue. I have no such problems on my G3/400mhz Powerbook with 512mb of RAM.

Does it only happen when you start typing after a period if inactivity?

SLJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Australia
no, after i use it for a little while... but is a very strange issue... i have no idea how to resolve it and is getting a little annoying, too... from time to time, if feel the system is very slow as well...

SLJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Australia
what you mean eventualy? It will go away naturally, I am not sure, I just want to make sure is not a hardware issue? Anyone can verify that is not a hardware issue or a power management issue?

Alte22a

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2003
back in London
sounds like a power management issue. In the "Energy Saver" in System prefs uncheck "put hard disk to sleep when possible". If that doesnt work maybe its iexplorer and Word because they are M$ products. This only happens to me when I use those softwares otherwise everything runs fine...

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Also, repairing permissions may help reduce the lag.

Applications>utilities>disk utility
Click the 'first aid' tab, select your disk, click 'repair permissions'.

Worth a try.

SLJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Australia
it was already uncheck for hard drive sleep... yes, I do use both of those Microsoft software... i dont have a choice for the office application becasue I need to exchang my files with work... which is all office base.

as regarding to the repairing premission... I have to give a shot... dontk now how to do it really :(

MacMaelstrom

macrumors member
Oh yeah. Do this..... When it's messing up.... Type something and press delete a few times fast ... see if it highlights what you want quickly and then deletes it. If it does it's doing what my Quadra is doing. :confused: And that would be strange

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Re: 12" Powerbook jerk or delay during typing

Originally posted by SLJ
I brought a new 12" Powerbook G4 3 days ago, and yesterday I have upgraded my memory to 640MB as well... but I notice a very strange problem, when I am typing something like an email or a post... or even a URL, sometimes I get a delay or a pause for the typing to be display on the screen.

e.g. typing this message then a few seconds later.... this part out come...

any reasons why it does that?

SLJ, From what I have seen, this is not normal at all. I know windows has a setting that can delay typing, but i have never heard of anything like this on macs. I know when hdd is busy, that's when something like that usually happens. It could be a problem with you hdd. Outside of hdd, I'd siggest taking out the memory you installed, return it, and buy it elsewhere. If problem is still there, take out the memory and return the laptop. I think it's better be safe than sorry. Keep your new memory and when you get a new pbook, install it back in.
I don't see a reason why stressing yourself out when you can just exchange the laptop.

Ohh BTW, antivirus programs often lag things ina similar way as well. Especially if you have McAfee software. I'd suggest getting Norton Internet Security for mac 3.0
It's a bit expensive, but its the best internet security thingy I have ever seen, not to mention the fastest.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
i have had my 12" PowerBook for about a month now and i get it all the time. infact, it's doing it right now as i type this, in Safari. i get it in just about every app at some time or another. i've just been blaming it on the slowness of the computer. the HD in the PB is also pretty slow too. maybe if i don't allow the HD to spin down it will be better.

SLJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Australia
Are we all saiding that the 12" powerbook have this typing delaying problem? I am very disappointed with this very little issue... apart from this, i notice it take forever to load the mac help as well... is that normal, too... in fact I was stuck at a mac help window for very long time, then I have to force quit it... a few little things that annoying me but as a whole the powerbook keep me happy... but I was going to replace my whole desktop with this powerbook... now i have my little doubt...

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by SLJ
Are we all saiding that the 12" powerbook have this typing delaying problem? I am very disappointed with this very little issue... apart from this, i notice it take forever to load the mac help as well... is that normal, too... in fact I was stuck at a mac help window for very long time, then I have to force quit it... a few little things that annoying me but as a whole the powerbook keep me happy... but I was going to replace my whole desktop with this powerbook... now i have my little doubt...

yeah, my Help Viewer takes forever to load up, sometimes so long that i give up and Force Quit. i don't think it's got anything to do with the PowerBooks directly. i think it's a combination of the slow HD, the slow processor, OS X, the G4, etc. i think we just need faster computers and a leaner OS. i'm not sweating it. :rolleyes:

SLJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Australia
man... that is a little disappointing, if I cant connect to the net, then I cant have any help? that is stupid... :( anyway to fix it? i just brought the powerbook...

SLJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Australia
I just re-install the OS and it seen to work a little better but I think is more smoother before the 10.2.6... i wonder if the 10.2.6 is the problem for me...

anyway, I am still having my doubts on replacing my desktop.... but I guess I am still learning...

SLJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Australia
The problem seen to be reduce if I dont use any of the Microsoft product, I notice the problem is really bad when I use either MSN messenger or Microsoft Entourage.... Can anyone tell me that if the Microsoft Office X Test drive is the problems.. because I have no brought it ... i wasn't sure how good it was...

Geap

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2003
Detroit
No Keyboard Delay on mine - Purchased 2/17/03

I've had my PB 12' since Feb, and I have absolutely none of the problems described in this thread. I do have the full version of Office vX, which I use a lot, but I don't use MSN. It has to be a problem with your specific machine. My co-worker also has a 12' and doesn't have any problems either. The only problem I had was that the screws at the bottom of my display liked to come loose. A little clear nail polish and an Allen wrench fixed that up real quick. The typing is as responsive as any machine I have ever owned.

Geap

(EDIT: Crappy Spelling.. heh..)

PB180

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2002
A possible *simpler* solution

Rezet: I know windows has a setting that can delay typing, but i have never heard of anything like this on macs.

Actually, there is a setting to delay typing, in the Keyboard pane of System Preferences. I've noticed crazy slowdowns before in seemingly random situations and programs. When I checked the Keyboard pane, the settings were all odd. Check out that pane to make sure that it's not just a software *setting* issue.

If nothing simple works, then you should certainly call up Apple! They are usually good about solving problems big and small.

SLJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Australia
Hmmm, I just check the keyboard setting, nothing special at all... I don't know is it really Mircosoft product or not... but this delaying typing thing is kind of annoying now.... by the way, I check with Apple Tech Support... no advice giving, he does not believe is a hardware fault nor is a software issue, he didnt give me any special advise... that's what I get for 90 Days off FREE tech support... I am done with Apple support line and I am planning to take my powerbook to the dealer that I brought it from.. and guess what... they are going to charge me as well if THERE IS NO HARDWARE FAULT.... not the answer that I am expecting for a 4 days off Powerbook now

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Originally posted by SLJ
Hmmm, I just check the keyboard setting, nothing special at all... I don't know is it really Mircosoft product or not... but this delaying typing thing is kind of annoying now.... by the way, I check with Apple Tech Support... no advice giving, he does not believe is a hardware fault nor is a software issue, he didnt give me any special advise... that's what I get for 90 Days off FREE tech support... I am done with Apple support line and I am planning to take my powerbook to the dealer that I brought it from.. and guess what... they are going to charge me as well if THERE IS NO HARDWARE FAULT.... not the answer that I am expecting for a 4 days off Powerbook now

Well, short circuit something in there. I'm a pro at this. The bad thing I short circuit something when i don't want to, but that's another story...

Those resellers are dumb as ball washers when it comes to answeting questions about actual hardware, but very sly and can bs their way out of everything. My advaice to you: do not deal with resellers. Just go to official mac store or official reseller <b> WEBSITE </b> (http://www.macmall.com, maczone.com, macwarehouse.com, etc.).
Dude, they have to either fix it or exchange it for free. Bring it to them and say: "here, either fix this, or give me a new machine".
Or another way is to break something in there manually, but i don't know if that would work in this situation. Or you can just try classic : "OS It freezes like every 2 hours for no reason."

figure something out, and get 15"

Try uninstalling ms crap outta there and maybe reformating the hdd and installing os x again, first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.