PDA

View Full Version : 12" Powerbook jerk or delay during typing

SLJ
Jul 23, 2003, 09:51 PM
I brought a new 12" Powerbook G4 3 days ago, and yesterday I have upgraded my memory to 640MB as well... but I notice a very strange problem, when I am typing something like an email or a post... or even a URL, sometimes I get a delay or a pause for the typing to be display on the screen.

e.g. typing this message then a few seconds later.... this part out come...

any reasons why it does that?

Flowbee
Jul 23, 2003, 10:11 PM
It's probably not a hardware issue. I have no such problems on my G3/400mhz Powerbook with 512mb of RAM.

Does it only happen when you start typing after a period if inactivity?

SLJ
Jul 23, 2003, 10:20 PM
no, after i use it for a little while... but is a very strange issue... i have no idea how to resolve it and is getting a little annoying, too... from time to time, if feel the system is very slow as well...

thebossisback
Jul 23, 2003, 10:59 PM
This happened on my iMac and eventualy it went away, but i dont know how to get rid of it

SLJ
Jul 23, 2003, 11:12 PM
what you mean eventualy? It will go away naturally, I am not sure, I just want to make sure is not a hardware issue? Anyone can verify that is not a hardware issue or a power management issue?

Alte22a
Jul 24, 2003, 12:12 AM
sounds like a power management issue. In the "Energy Saver" in System prefs uncheck "put hard disk to sleep when possible". If that doesnt work maybe its iexplorer and Word because they are M$ products. This only happens to me when I use those softwares otherwise everything runs fine...

Flowbee
Jul 24, 2003, 12:18 AM
Also, repairing permissions may help reduce the lag.

Applications>utilities>disk utility
Click the 'first aid' tab, select your disk, click 'repair permissions'.

Worth a try.

SLJ
Jul 24, 2003, 12:28 AM
it was already uncheck for hard drive sleep... yes, I do use both of those Microsoft software... i dont have a choice for the office application becasue I need to exchang my files with work... which is all office base.

as regarding to the repairing premission... I have to give a shot... dontk now how to do it really :(

MacMaelstrom
Jul 24, 2003, 08:08 AM
Sounds like what my Quadra does in Netscape Mail.

MacMaelstrom
Jul 24, 2003, 08:11 AM
Oh yeah. Do this..... When it's messing up.... Type something and press delete a few times fast ... see if it highlights what you want quickly and then deletes it. If it does it's doing what my Quadra is doing. :confused: And that would be strange

Rezet
Jul 24, 2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by SLJ
I brought a new 12" Powerbook G4 3 days ago, and yesterday I have upgraded my memory to 640MB as well... but I notice a very strange problem, when I am typing something like an email or a post... or even a URL, sometimes I get a delay or a pause for the typing to be display on the screen.

e.g. typing this message then a few seconds later.... this part out come...

any reasons why it does that?

SLJ, From what I have seen, this is not normal at all. I know windows has a setting that can delay typing, but i have never heard of anything like this on macs. I know when hdd is busy, that's when something like that usually happens. It could be a problem with you hdd. Outside of hdd, I'd siggest taking out the memory you installed, return it, and buy it elsewhere. If problem is still there, take out the memory and return the laptop. I think it's better be safe than sorry. Keep your new memory and when you get a new pbook, install it back in.
I don't see a reason why stressing yourself out when you can just exchange the laptop.

Ohh BTW, antivirus programs often lag things ina similar way as well. Especially if you have McAfee software. I'd suggest getting Norton Internet Security for mac 3.0
It's a bit expensive, but its the best internet security thingy I have ever seen, not to mention the fastest.

tjwett
Jul 24, 2003, 04:25 PM
i have had my 12" PowerBook for about a month now and i get it all the time. infact, it's doing it right now as i type this, in Safari. i get it in just about every app at some time or another. i've just been blaming it on the slowness of the computer. the HD in the PB is also pretty slow too. maybe if i don't allow the HD to spin down it will be better.

SLJ
Jul 24, 2003, 07:36 PM
Are we all saiding that the 12" powerbook have this typing delaying problem? I am very disappointed with this very little issue... apart from this, i notice it take forever to load the mac help as well... is that normal, too... in fact I was stuck at a mac help window for very long time, then I have to force quit it... a few little things that annoying me but as a whole the powerbook keep me happy... but I was going to replace my whole desktop with this powerbook... now i have my little doubt...

tjwett
Jul 24, 2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by SLJ
Are we all saiding that the 12" powerbook have this typing delaying problem? I am very disappointed with this very little issue... apart from this, i notice it take forever to load the mac help as well... is that normal, too... in fact I was stuck at a mac help window for very long time, then I have to force quit it... a few little things that annoying me but as a whole the powerbook keep me happy... but I was going to replace my whole desktop with this powerbook... now i have my little doubt...

yeah, my Help Viewer takes forever to load up, sometimes so long that i give up and Force Quit. i don't think it's got anything to do with the PowerBooks directly. i think it's a combination of the slow HD, the slow processor, OS X, the G4, etc. i think we just need faster computers and a leaner OS. i'm not sweating it. :rolleyes:

SLJ
Jul 24, 2003, 08:21 PM
man... that is a little disappointing, if I cant connect to the net, then I cant have any help? that is stupid... :( anyway to fix it? i just brought the powerbook...

Rezet
Jul 24, 2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by SLJ
man... that is a little disappointing, if I cant connect to the net, then I cant have any help? that is stupid... :( anyway to fix it? i just brought the powerbook...

Like I said, I'd echange it. But I heard 15" work smoother. So you may try that.

MacMaelstrom
Jul 25, 2003, 09:56 AM
Why not try reinstalling the Operating System? Takes about an hour and it could save you time in the future if some OS files are corrupt.

SLJ
Jul 25, 2003, 07:41 PM
I just re-install the OS and it seen to work a little better but I think is more smoother before the 10.2.6... i wonder if the 10.2.6 is the problem for me...

anyway, I am still having my doubts on replacing my desktop.... but I guess I am still learning...

MacMaelstrom
Jul 25, 2003, 09:47 PM
If you still have problems you might just want to reformat the whole thing... Wipe it all..... Twice even, then start all over.

SLJ
Jul 25, 2003, 10:00 PM
The problem seen to be reduce if I dont use any of the Microsoft product, I notice the problem is really bad when I use either MSN messenger or Microsoft Entourage.... Can anyone tell me that if the Microsoft Office X Test drive is the problems.. because I have no brought it ... i wasn't sure how good it was...

Geap
Jul 25, 2003, 10:51 PM
I've had my PB 12' since Feb, and I have absolutely none of the problems described in this thread. I do have the full version of Office vX, which I use a lot, but I don't use MSN. It has to be a problem with your specific machine. My co-worker also has a 12' and doesn't have any problems either. The only problem I had was that the screws at the bottom of my display liked to come loose. A little clear nail polish and an Allen wrench fixed that up real quick. The typing is as responsive as any machine I have ever owned.

Geap

(EDIT: Crappy Spelling.. heh..)

PB180
Jul 25, 2003, 11:15 PM
Rezet: I know windows has a setting that can delay typing, but i have never heard of anything like this on macs.

Actually, there is a setting to delay typing, in the Keyboard pane of System Preferences. I've noticed crazy slowdowns before in seemingly random situations and programs. When I checked the Keyboard pane, the settings were all odd. Check out that pane to make sure that it's not just a software *setting* issue.

If nothing simple works, then you should certainly call up Apple! They are usually good about solving problems big and small.

SLJ
Jul 25, 2003, 11:58 PM
Hmmm, I just check the keyboard setting, nothing special at all... I don't know is it really Mircosoft product or not... but this delaying typing thing is kind of annoying now.... by the way, I check with Apple Tech Support... no advice giving, he does not believe is a hardware fault nor is a software issue, he didnt give me any special advise... that's what I get for 90 Days off FREE tech support... I am done with Apple support line and I am planning to take my powerbook to the dealer that I brought it from.. and guess what... they are going to charge me as well if THERE IS NO HARDWARE FAULT.... not the answer that I am expecting for a 4 days off Powerbook now

Rezet
Jul 26, 2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by SLJ
Hmmm, I just check the keyboard setting, nothing special at all... I don't know is it really Mircosoft product or not... but this delaying typing thing is kind of annoying now.... by the way, I check with Apple Tech Support... no advice giving, he does not believe is a hardware fault nor is a software issue, he didnt give me any special advise... that's what I get for 90 Days off FREE tech support... I am done with Apple support line and I am planning to take my powerbook to the dealer that I brought it from.. and guess what... they are going to charge me as well if THERE IS NO HARDWARE FAULT.... not the answer that I am expecting for a 4 days off Powerbook now

Well, short circuit something in there. I'm a pro at this. The bad thing I short circuit something when i don't want to, but that's another story...

Those resellers are dumb as ball washers when it comes to answeting questions about actual hardware, but very sly and can bs their way out of everything. My advaice to you: do not deal with resellers. Just go to official mac store or official reseller <b> WEBSITE </b> (www.macmall.com, maczone.com, macwarehouse.com, etc.).
Dude, they have to either fix it or exchange it for free. Bring it to them and say: "here, either fix this, or give me a new machine".
Or another way is to break something in there manually, but i don't know if that would work in this situation. Or you can just try classic : "OS It freezes like every 2 hours for no reason."

figure something out, and get 15"

Try uninstalling ms crap outta there and maybe reformating the hdd and installing os x again, first.

MacMaelstrom
Jul 26, 2003, 01:20 AM
Like I always say... When they're not working right, short circuit them!:D :D :D *nods*

that was sarcasam

Rezet
Jul 26, 2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by MacMaelstrom
Like I always say... When they're not working right, short circuit them!:D :D :D *nods*

that was sarcasam

LOL yeah, but if they are gonna charge him cuz no hardware fault is found, short circuiting sounds very appealing...

HAHA-hehehe. (where is a "drooling" icon btw?)

MrMacMan
Jul 26, 2003, 01:41 AM
Yeah you have a lag problem...

Get it replaced.

Alte22a
Jul 26, 2003, 02:26 AM
shorting out something doesnt seem to be very wise... Actually sounds pretty bad.. There must be some other way? Is this problem just related to M$ products? but cant apple tech support sort this thing for you? I mean its a G4 right? It's not suppose to be having delayed typing, if it can render so and so in 15secs flat apparently. Altivec and all that. Seems kinda strange why cant they sort it out for you? Get a 15" It rocks!! :D I have one and its great...

SLJ
Jul 26, 2003, 02:36 AM
well, I really want to stick with the 15" Powerbook man.. because is small and is light... i can zip it around like i being doing for the past few days... I will try to take it back tomorrow and see what happen... I really don't want to spend the extra money to get a 15"

I know the 15" is a lot nicer and more stab but still... I found the 12" does the job for me so far except those little annoying issues & I can't play warcraft III like the way I want to play...

Rezet
Jul 26, 2003, 02:37 AM
Dude, it was a joke. :)

visor
Jul 26, 2003, 07:52 AM
sometimes, it works great, then, it's lagging like hell.
usually i found it's either the system trying to find an not correctly unmounted network share, or is swapping lots of memory to disk.
i usually have iPulse open for it shows nicely what recources are used at a glance.

You may also have a problem withyour grafix card. Check if quarz extreme is enabled for your display.

get the quarz extreme checker here:
http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/welcome.html

if it detects quarz extreme disabled, you have a grafic memory problem - and should get a new pb.

SLJ
Jul 27, 2003, 10:00 AM
well, I just brought the full version of the Microsoft Office X as well.. updated it... a little bit better, but the problems still occured... I was talking to the sales today, he notice my problem and said "I never seen it before from a powerbook" so, he request me to leave the powerbook to be check by the tech... anyway, he will try to talk to his boss/manager to see if I could get another powerbook... l look at at 15" today, is quite dated model... so, I guess no 15" for me... so now I just have to wait and see what his boss going to said...

I just want to fix it...

Rezet
Jul 27, 2003, 06:10 PM
SLJ. I feel for you man.

Finally get first mac and get into a crappy situation like this. Kind of shatters the whole belief of apple being a super reliable and "no problem" company. I don't think you should have bought anything from those sly resellers, as they are known scammers.
But what's done is done. I'd try going hard on them with the replacement. If they refuse, I'd do anything possible to screw up their reputation and let them know that. If you didn't sign any contract with them, you can even try civil court as they sold you faulty equipment. Unless of course pbook was sold "as is".

If all above fails, I'd try selling item on ebay stating that the model has this strange problem, but other than that works great. You will lose around 25% - 30%, but you would be able to recover some money out of it.

But those are drastic steps. First, I'd go to official apple store and ask them what that could be caused by. Try calling them, see what they say. Then, I'd attempt to reinstall everything, format hdd etc. You can also try seeking help at microsoft website, somepeople there [MVP], regular users, are very knowledgeable about things like that, even for mac.
If I come up with anything good on how to deal with this w/o having to return it or sell it, I'll let you know here.

SLJ
Jul 29, 2003, 01:41 AM
As expected... no hardware fault found... well, the book came back to my hand and the problem is still there... just not as much as before now... is only there when I open 3 x Safari, 1 x MSN messenger, 1 x Entourage, a few folder... and any one of office application... and I loading too much applications?

I am starting to believe that I am pushing my powerbook to the max...

msp
Jul 29, 2003, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by SLJ
As expected... no hardware fault found... well, the book came back to my hand and the problem is still there... just not as much as before now... is only there when I open 3 x Safari, 1 x MSN messenger, 1 x Entourage, a few folder... and any one of office application... and I loading too much applications?

I am starting to believe that I am pushing my powerbook to the max...

Well I don't use all those applications you use, but I notice no problems when typing.
Did you try to switch off the spellchecking? When you type and you use the spellchecking on the fly, this could produce some "lags".

My Powerbook 12' has the standard 256MB RAM and I have no lags. I only have some noticeable lags when using hydra with syntax highlighting. This only happens if my book is doing some hard work, like compiling at the same time. Watch your cpuinfo. If this is at max all the time, some applications my cause this.

rolfb
Aug 28, 2003, 08:19 PM
I believe, that this has something to do with MSN messenger or Safari downloads, I haven't bothered to check which one, since I use them both and won't delete them.

My bet is however, of course, that the evil software is MSN Messenger.

If you look at the circling arrows when you are logging on the network, you will discover a tiny bit of lag in the animation that kind of gives a hint that this software doesn't want to speed up your system.

I don't know if any of you read this thread anymore.

But type-lagging never happens to me while I'm offline. (Classic used to have problems with some modem drivers that caused this kind of behaviour. Maybe that's it? I still believe it's the Messenger)

Hope this have been somewhat helpful. I had to register to post this, so it better be worth it. Just joking, glad to be a member.

zimv20
Aug 28, 2003, 08:53 PM
the problem as described sounds like something a friend was experiencing on both his g4 desktop and ibook.

i tried all manner of fixes and hacky speed-ups, to no avail. the jerky typing thing annoyed him and me, but some people used it and proclaimed it normal.

to this day, i believe it has something to do w/ office (Word was the worst offender, but it did occur in non-MS apps). seems there's some stuff that MS runs in the background, even when Office is not in use.

-----

other thought: do you have an airport card, by chance?

alkil47
Aug 28, 2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by SLJ

I have replaced my desktop with the 12" and I am loving it , I know the little ****er can get hot but I never touch it I plug my 19" sony in and its great and use my mac key board at its all cool , i am a designer i design web pages and so small print stuff as well. This little machine does it all flash phs ill everything I need. I can even play medal of honor off and on line with great speed . For the price and what it delivers its great. I am leaving my job in a year to travel and this will be the best machine to take as by then its payed its dues and nows its time to put it in my back pack and travel the world with a great laptop that small and fast. I am happy using it as a desktop.

CMillerERAU
Aug 28, 2003, 11:18 PM
You could always try the Apple Hardware Test CD to see if its a hardware problem. Though I have a feeling the dealer used it and found no errors. Another option is to buy a diagnostic tool like TechTool Pro and have it run the gamut on your components.