Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I don't think Apple necessarily uses the Oxford chipset in the iPod...

regardless, as I mentioned in the other thread... I _think_ FW2 might use a different connector (with compatible FW2->FW1 adapters avail) - but I have to do some research on that...

arn

ipodingAJ

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2002
No Oxford in iPod

Originally posted by arn

regardless, as I mentioned in the other thread... I _think_ FW2 might use a different connector (with compatible FW2->FW1 adapters avail) - but I have to do some research on that...

arn

iPod (5 nor 10GB) does not use Oxford chips. the FireWire controller is the TI TSB43AA82 which from what I can tell does not support FireWire2/1394b and the hard drive is controlled by the TI SN74CBTLV16211 bus switch (at least I think that's what the bus switch does).

We did a comparison of the boards from 5GB and 10GB (at iPoding), the changes looked pretty minor. In fact they took stuff off the board rather than adding anything new.

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Originally posted by arn

arn
They do not use the Oxford 911 in the iPod. TI makes the FireWire bridge in the iPod.

blakespot

ipodingAJ

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2002
Originally posted by blakespot

They do not use the Oxford 911 in the iPod. TI makes the FireWire bridge in the iPod.

blakespot

Did I stutter? ;)
Seriously though: iPod is an SBC and does not have an IDE to 1394 bridge. It works like a Mac in FireWire Target Disk mode (or whatever they call it). That may seem like a small distinction - But it ain't...
A bridge just converts from one interface/protocol to another, thus the moniker. The TI chip can do much more which is why it's called an "interface controller".

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Interesting link. Looks like a grey iPod with more of a donut for a scrollwheel! Still, I don't believe the TI chipset contains the Oxford 911.

blakespot

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by blakespot
Interesting link. Looks like a grey iPod with more of a donut for a scrollwheel! Still, I don't believe the TI chipset contains the Oxford 911.

Are you not reading ipodingAJ's posts? :)

see above. different beast altogether...

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.