PDA

View Full Version : Please Help! (G5 dual quad Mac repair)

cardenj12
Jul 18, 2007, 04:17 PM
Can anyone help?
I took my mac to a mac approved shop 2 weeks ago cos my G5 power mac stopped working when in stand by mode. At first after tests they said it was the power supply and it would cost for the part plus labour 390. After telling them my home insurance will luckily cover it i ask them to go ahead. So they order the part and i hear nothing from them for 3 days, so i call them and now they say my hard drive has gone and beyond repair and the mother board has gone so now it it going to cost over 1000. All this from they say over heating or a power serge but i have a power serge protector so it can't be that.

Are they ripping me off because i spoke to some It tech people and they seems to think that there is no way that all those three things could have gone at once like that.
Does anyone have an biased opinion on what i should do!!!

G5 dual quad processor only 2 years old.

suneohair
Jul 18, 2007, 04:30 PM
That is a tough one. Will the insurance still cover it?

I would have a tough time not complaining since they didn't diagnose it as having those other problems originally. If it was overheating that is Apples fault IMO. Do you have AppleCare? I am guessing no...

cardenj12
Jul 18, 2007, 04:36 PM
No i dont have apple care, when they first told me it was 390 for the power supply i thought that is expensive so i got on to my home insurance and they said they contacted the mac shop were happy with what they were told so would cover it. Since then suddenly after putting the power supply in they say the hard drive wont boot up and when they replaced that they found the motherboard is gone. I really dont know what to do because they are the only ones who can fix it but i they they are lying. I wont know till tomorrow if the home insurance will cover the new price but i dought it now it has changed!

I feel like telling them they are full of crap and if anything else has gone wrong since they had it they should pay it but they have my computer!!!

macenforcer
Jul 18, 2007, 04:39 PM
Can anyone help?
I took my mac to a mac approved shop 2 weeks ago cos my G5 power mac stopped working when in stand by mode. At first after tests they said it was the power supply and it would cost for the part plus labour 390. After telling them my home insurance will luckily cover it i ask them to go ahead. So they order the part and i hear nothing from them for 3 days, so i call them and now they say my hard drive has gone and beyond repair and the mother board has gone so now it it going to cost over 1000. All this from they say over heating or a power serge but i have a power serge protector so it can't be that.

Are they ripping me off because i spoke to some It tech people and they seems to think that there is no way that all those three things could have gone at once like that.
Does anyone have an biased opinion on what i should do!!!

G5 dual quad processor only 2 years old.

If the power supply was to blow all your components could have easily been damaged. That said, there is no way to know for sure unless you do it yourself. You could get a second opinion.

cardenj12
Jul 18, 2007, 04:49 PM
problem is i will still have to pay them so much, it may bugger up the insurance part and say i take it somewhere else they could do whatever they wanted to my machine before they give it back whether it is broke or not.

I was told by a friend who is a pc tech and has worked with macs that if the power supply goes it stops. No power gets through to other parts, like if it's running at say 250 volts and then it breaks the 250 watt doesn't shoot through to other parts and blow them, the power supply would just go! I dont know i just dont know whether to kick up a fuss or what to say to them. I'm more upset that they say the harddrive went because of all my work!

what would you do?

macenforcer
Jul 18, 2007, 05:26 PM
problem is i will still have to pay them so much, it may bugger up the insurance part and say i take it somewhere else they could do whatever they wanted to my machine before they give it back whether it is broke or not.

I was told by a friend who is a pc tech and has worked with macs that if the power supply goes it stops. No power gets through to other parts, like if it's running at say 250 volts and then it breaks the 250 watt doesn't shoot through to other parts and blow them, the power supply would just go! I dont know i just dont know whether to kick up a fuss or what to say to them. I'm more upset that they say the harddrive went because of all my work!

what would you do?

Well your friend is wrong. Well half wrong. That happens but power supplies can also surge and fry the components as well. Looks like that is what happened. The G5s always had problematic power supplies. I had mine replaced in my G5 when I first got it. No component damage though, just bad fans in the thing. This might have been the problem. Fans stopped working, it overheated and popped. When it popped it surged frying your system.

cardenj12
Jul 18, 2007, 05:46 PM
Ok thanks man. Do you think i should go to the mac shop and say "look you told me you would diagnose what was wrong then quote me a price. What you have done is tell me it was one thing then another then quoted one price then tell me more things have gone wrong and now it is this much more" And say i feel i have not been given the service i was told at the beginning and dont feel i should pay for labour because i was told what was wrong, quoted a price and since then the hard drive and motherboard has gone!!!

I dont really know what i can get out of them, but they have not done this in a professional matter from how they first told me!

trainguy77
Jul 18, 2007, 06:31 PM
It isn't there fault more things were broken. They can't really know whats wrong until they replace the power supply. So thats somewhat expected. Not all shops can just pop a new one in just to see what is wrong...

XjeffX
Jul 22, 2007, 04:04 AM
I've had an authorized apple repair shop rip me off in a similar manner. I walked in (don't call ahead) and demanded my computer right then. I contacted apple and they accepted my out of warranty machine and repaired everything free of charge.

Sure, these things could have all gone out randomly at the same time, but it sure sounds fishy. Maybe because I've been in that boat before. hmmmmm..