PDA

View Full Version : Read this if your "on the fence" about switching...

ooartist
Jul 23, 2003, 11:55 PM
Okay so I switched about a 1.5 years ago and I am not a new switcher but I just recently sold my PowerMac and bought a TiBook 1ghz fully loaded and all I have to say is "I freakin love this laptop".

I am a developer (mainly windows... day job) and I was needing a powerful laptop. I decided to go with the TiBook with Virtual PC 6. I got Virtual PC 6 so I could still develop in windows. When I installed this (VPC with W2K) I was blown away. W2k runs very well on VPC6 and Visual Studio works fine also. But the cool thing is I can keep developing but still enjoy the awesome Apple Mac experience. The experience is not just the hardware but the OS and software and the fact that stuff just plan works like a computer/program should.

To sum it all up it's.... hmmm... like if computers were people Macs would design/create the world and PCs just pump gas.

Happy Switching,

ooartist

Polyktor
Jul 24, 2003, 12:20 AM
Cool input, I'm a switcher on the fence, about to take a new job where I'll be needing to manage a Windows 2000 network and develop web ASP apps. Any thoughts on using a TiBook (or newer if they are ever updated) for all this?

I would want to use Visual Studio.Net (for asp.net web development) on Virtual PC, but until this report I thought it would just be plain unusable.

ooartist
Jul 24, 2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Polyktor
Cool input, I'm a switcher on the fence, about to take a new job where I'll be needing to manage a Windows 2000 network and develop web ASP apps. Any thoughts on using a TiBook (or newer if they are ever updated) for all this?

I would want to use Visual Studio.Net (for asp.net web development) on Virtual PC, but until this report I thought it would just be plain unusable.

I have the TiBook 15.2in 1ghz loaded with 1 GB of RAM. So what every TiBook/ALUBook that you get definitely load it down with RAM. With VPC you can assign the amount of RAM that the Host OS uses. I assign 512 to W2K and it runs better/as good as my PIII 800 Laptop when in Full Screen Mode. It takes you a while to get over how strange it is to have Windows on a Mac ;-) it feels evil. I don't think I would go with XP because it has to much eye candy.

Good Luck,

ooartist

Capt Underpants
Jul 24, 2003, 09:51 AM
I am definately going to switch, once I get the money. But the more confirmations on the good switching experience, the better I feel about my future switching.

scem0
Jul 25, 2003, 07:42 AM
I have gotten very fed up with windows as of late.

Yes, PC's may be faster and cheaper, but I save time and money when my computer just plain works.

scem0

gotohamish
Jul 25, 2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by scem0
I have gotten very fed up with windows as of late.

Yes, PC's may be faster and cheaper, but I save time and money when my computer just plain works.

scem0

Here here, mate!