PDA

View Full Version : 15Gbit wireless data transfer

andiwm2003
Jul 19, 2007, 09:09 AM
seems we get new wireless networks soon. only 3 foot range but 15Gbits transferrate. that's enough for wireless HD's, monitors. 5 seconds to transfer a whole DVD. that would be a new business model for blockbuster.
sounds exciting to me.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-07/giot-mwr071907.php

yg17
Jul 19, 2007, 09:54 PM
seems we get new wireless networks soon. only 3 foot range but 15Gbits transferrate. that's enough for wireless HD's, monitors. 5 seconds to transfer a whole DVD. that would be a new business model for blockbuster.
sounds exciting to me.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-07/giot-mwr071907.php

Unless you live 3 feet away from a BlockBuster, I don't see how this is useful at all for them.

andiwm2003
Jul 20, 2007, 08:16 AM
Unless you live 3 feet away from a BlockBuster, I don't see how this is useful at all for them.

you go with your iPod 7th generation to a blockbuster and download the movie in 30 seconds. and blockbuster at that time has hundreds of "ATM-like" download machines in supermarkets all over the country. just like those movie rental machines at supermarkets right now.

beyond that it's of course cool to sync your notebook and your desktop computer at home in 10 sec. wirelessly and download your camera pictures into iphoto wirelessly in 20 sec.

the thing is like bluetooth on steroids.....

After G
Jul 20, 2007, 04:53 PM
What if I want my devices more than 3 ft apart? :D

bigandy
Jul 20, 2007, 05:59 PM
i'd love this for my external hard drives. of course, the 20" TFT plugged in to the MBP could be wireless too :)

sweeet. On to the iCurve, nothing but power connecting to it wired. :)

andiwm2003
Jul 20, 2007, 07:56 PM
What if I want my devices more than 3 ft apart? :D

i'm certain you could put a wifi bridge in between that's connected to both devices with a few cables and has a big ugly antenna.....

btw. you're supposed to stay at your desk and do your homework! you're not supposed to move more then 3 feet away till you're finished!