PDA

View Full Version : Piel Frama cases on Ebay...something's up.

mcdj
Jul 19, 2007, 10:30 AM
I bid on, won, and paid for, a red Piel Frama case from seller GetYourTech on Ebay. I was prepared to wait for the case for a bit, as GetYourTech said they'd be shipping in late July.

Looking at My Ebay just now, the link to the auction is no longer there under items I've won. The link in my Paypal confirmation email leads to an invalid item page on Ebay. An Ebay search for 'Piel Frama iPhone' yields zero results, even searching completed auctions. GetYourTech is still on Ebay, but no longer offering any iPhone accessories whatsoever. getyourtech.com still has Piel Frama iPhone cases listed for sale.

Anyone else order a Piel case from them? Did they contact you about cancelling your order? I've sent them an email...no word yet.

Greg61
Jul 24, 2007, 09:00 AM
I did order a case directly from Piel Frama on their website. I then received an email from customer service saying the following:

"Dear Gregory,

We acknowledge the receipt of your order dated July 18th.

Thank you very much for your order. We are sure that you will appreciate the quality of our leather case for Apple iPhone in black colour.

We have to inform you that we will send your order within 10 days as we have these cases out of stock at the very moment. Our craftsmen are making them at the moment so that, as soon as we have some of these cases finished, we will dispatch your order by UPS express.

Please, accept our apologies for any inconvenience that this delay may cause to you.

Do not hesitate to contact us if you need further assistance.

Very best regards and have a nice day!!

Angélica Menacho
Export Department"

I'll follow up if and when I do receive the case. I have to say that it's not a shocker that they've already run out early on. We'll see.

HeavyC
Jul 24, 2007, 10:29 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of these from actual people on here once they arrive. If you guys like them, I'm placing my order.

Greg61
Jul 24, 2007, 09:13 PM
From the website. Check it out!

http://www.pielframa.net/cases_iphone.asp

HeavyC
Jul 25, 2007, 08:37 AM
Yeah, I've been to the website, but it's hard to get a real sense of scale from there. I want to see a real picture of someone holding it so i can tell exactly how thick it is with the iPhone and a couple credit cards in there.

ITASOR
Jul 25, 2007, 12:07 PM
Looking at My Ebay just now, the link to the auction is no longer there under items I've won.

To me that sounds like eBay removed the item, or the seller marked it as damaged during shipping or something like that which cancels it. Did you get a refund yet?

beate
Jul 26, 2007, 02:56 AM
I did order a case directly from Piel Frama on their website. I then received an email from customer service saying the following:

(letter deleted)

Well...I received the same letter with "June 30th" as the date. Everything else was the same word for word. I'm still waiting. My guess is that they had to re-tool a bit once the phone was available. Perhaps that's why the ebay listings were removed also. There's really no ETD for the cases.

danny-bonaducci
Jul 30, 2007, 01:37 AM
(letter deleted)

Well...I received the same letter with "June 30th" as the date. Everything else was the same word for word. I'm still waiting. My guess is that they had to re-tool a bit once the phone was available. Perhaps that's why the ebay listings were removed also. There's really no ETD for the cases.

Once you get this case, can you post a review here? I am very interested in these cases both for my iPhone as well as my wife's Blackberry. They look very nice to hold the phone, but what about using the phone while it is in the case? Is that possible? It seems like you will have a flap of the case a bit in the way if you need to take a call. Has anyone used these cases for other phones? Thoughts? They look beautiful!

beate
Jul 31, 2007, 01:59 AM
Once you get this case, can you post a review here? I am very interested in these cases both for my iPhone as well as my wife's Blackberry. They look very nice to hold the phone, but what about using the phone while it is in the case? Is that possible? It seems like you will have a flap of the case a bit in the way if you need to take a call. Has anyone used these cases for other phones? Thoughts? They look beautiful!

They say that the phone can be used while in the case. It looks awkward to me also...we'll see. I'm planning on posting review & photos *when* I get the case - sheech!

beate
Jul 31, 2007, 01:34 PM
Well, I wrote them. My guess was correct. They are re-tooling the cases. Excerpt of email follows:

"The thing is that we have just realised that the first production of these wallets needed some modifications.

Our craftsmen are making some adjusts on the wallets so that we can be sure that they fit without problems and allow all the functions of the iPhone to work without problem."

At least they are thorough...

gooddog
Jul 31, 2007, 06:11 PM
I saw the 1/2 price red case at your site only after I had placed an order directly with the Piel Frama factory in Spain for almost double the price converted from euro's. I also ordered a set of red and cream polish with brush etc. to pamper the case and keep it smelling great.

My order shipped today (express) , after two delays for back-ordering; about 3 weeks total.

The red is bound to be the most popular case. I hope that is why your bargain source is having problems .... but I was both jealous of the better price AND suspicious of quality control, true availability, and security.

My only concern left is the safety of the closure magnets as regards the iPhone.
Having read of one incident with an iPhone in a Blackberry magnetically closing case, I inquired and was assured that Piel Frama tests all of their cases for such problems and the magnets will not affect the iPhone.
They make a velcro version , but I prefer magnets.

Good luck,

---gooddog

gooddog
Jul 31, 2007, 06:34 PM
Well, I wrote them. My guess was correct. They are re-tooling the cases. Excerpt of email follows:

"The thing is that we have just realised that the first production of these wallets needed some modifications.

Our craftsmen are making some adjusts on the wallets so that we can be sure that they fit without problems and allow all the functions of the iPhone to work without problem."

At least they are thorough...

I did ask them if there were openings on the top ( pics don't show the top ) of the flap to allow the headset to be plugged in while the wallet is closed. They said "of course" and that all the functions are available.

hhhhhhhmmmmm ...

I also asked if the screw-on belt button can
be had with a perforation allowing a lanyard to be looped into it ... they said no. I may have to micro dremmel that little sucker : I want a wrist strap to protect my $600 toy.

They may get wise and decide to offer a very nicely manufactured lanyard button as an accessory for all of their cases : couple bucks , maybe.

It looks like they put the magnets right next to the mic and bottom speakers while
the flap contains the metal badges/keepers that attach to the magnets.

Not that it is a problem -- they said no magnet problems when tested.

But I would have placed the magnets on the flap and the keepers in the body. That way, the flux leakage is minimized by the keepers when closed and minimized by distance when the case flap is opened. The heavier magnets might also lend more of that Capt. Kirk whip action from the increased angular inertia.

ALSO, if I were Apple, I would move the strong bottom speaker up to replace the weak ear-speaker and to have it firing forward during iPod or speaker phone use.
The vacant space left at the bottom could
house a very nice, strong, chrome anchor loop for a lanyard and for all of those charms and dangly thingies that the Japanese buyers love to hang from their cell phones.

And HEY !!! why no engraving ???

gooddog
Jul 31, 2007, 06:41 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of these from actual people on here once they arrive. If you guys like them, I'm placing my order.

I got my UPS tracking number today. It's expressed free ( due to delays I guess ).

I sure hope I get one of the "re-tooled" series.

In about a couple of days, I'll get it and post - if Angelica is right.

They do look beautiful. And I hear they feel and smell like heaven.

---gooddog

Greg61
Jul 31, 2007, 07:28 PM
Great Case!! I ordered the black case with the vertical flip top (magnets, no strap). It protects the entire phone. Excellent quality.

As a refresher, I ordered it direct off of the Piel Frama website. If you add the additional shipping time, they did what they said they would do, which was to get it in the mail within 10 days.

Incidentally, I emailed them yesterday and received a UPS confirmation email the same day.

Solid case! Solid company!

beate
Aug 1, 2007, 03:34 AM
Great Case!! I ordered the black case with the vertical flip top (magnets, no strap). It protects the entire phone. Excellent quality.

As a refresher, I ordered it direct off of the Piel Frama website. If you add the additional shipping time, they did what they said they would do, which was to get it in the mail within 10 days.

Incidentally, I emailed them yesterday and received a UPS confirmation email the same day.

It's not the case you ordered that is being delayed. It's the wallet style which I ordered on 6/30. They said 10 days...I waited then finally wrote them. They said should be out by end of the week due to... (see the excerpt in my last post)

I'm ok with the delay. I figured once they got the phone, they would need to make some adjustments. Too many stories of other manufacturers hurrying their product out only to have the phones fall out of the cases - ouch!

The wallet style does not have a strap on the top to hold the phone in so the fit will need to be quite precise.

waremaster
Aug 1, 2007, 07:49 AM
I bid on, won, and paid for, a red Piel Frama case from seller GetYourTech on Ebay. I was prepared to wait for the case for a bit, as GetYourTech said they'd be shipping in late July.

Looking at My Ebay just now, the link to the auction is no longer there under items I've won. The link in my Paypal confirmation email leads to an invalid item page on Ebay. An Ebay search for 'Piel Frama iPhone' yields zero results, even searching completed auctions. GetYourTech is still on Ebay, but no longer offering any iPhone accessories whatsoever. getyourtech.com still has Piel Frama iPhone cases listed for sale.

Anyone else order a Piel case from them? Did they contact you about cancelling your order? I've sent them an email...no word yet.

I have ordered piel frama cases from them via ebay and have not had issues. I would contact them I think you will find that if something is up they will make it right.

neut
Aug 2, 2007, 08:30 PM

As a refresher, I ordered it direct off of the Piel Frama website.

Same thing here. This case is working out quite well. Excellent enclosure and minimal wallet. Lovin' it ... receiving nice compliments as well. :)
_

peace | neut

Greg61
Aug 2, 2007, 08:48 PM
I did want to let you know that the magnets on the non-strap/snap case are not shielded on the outside. So, I'd be careful not to place it in close proximity to your wallet with your magnetized credit cards.

FYI.

The case is otherwise awesome!

danny-bonaducci
Aug 2, 2007, 10:49 PM
I did want to let you know that the magnets on the non-strap/snap case are not shielded on the outside. So, I'd be careful not to place it in close proximity to your wallet with your magnetized credit cards.

FYI.

The case is otherwise awesome!

So are you able to use the phone while it is in the case? I would expect using the web or mail would be no problem, but what about talking on it while it is in the case, any issues? It is very tempting but I just wish I could see one in the flesh before ordering.

A Pittarelli
Aug 2, 2007, 10:53 PM
sounds like strange problems with the ebay stuff

Yankees 4 Life
Aug 2, 2007, 11:00 PM
yea this seemed a little odd, well at least the owner is here trying to help out :)

Yankees 4 Life
Aug 3, 2007, 07:57 AM
i dont really like their cases, i think they are kinda ugly

bender0069
Aug 4, 2007, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I've been to the website, but it's hard to get a real sense of scale from there. I want to see a real picture of someone holding it so i can tell exactly how thick it is with the iPhone and a couple credit cards in there.

I tried to get some pictures. I have small hands, so I hope it doesn't throw you off.
Pics (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8930593@N03/sets/72157601217998424/)

neut
Aug 4, 2007, 09:15 PM
I tried to get some pictures. I have small hands, so I hope it doesn't throw you off.

You stole my case! :p

Nice blue AMX card ... I always get comments on my mine. Is that a PetCo. Pals card too? I swear you stole my wallet! :)
_

peace | neut

Cybergypsy
Aug 4, 2007, 09:55 PM
the red is hot!!!

beate
Aug 5, 2007, 02:51 AM
You stole my case! :p

Nice blue AMX card ... I always get comments on my mine. Is that a PetCo. Pals card too? I swear you stole my wallet! :)
_

peace | neut

Wow, with that kind of observation, I'll have to be mindful of which CC I put in the case when I do MY pictures. Kinda funny - I need to figure out what image of me I want to project - who would have thought....

My wallet has been sent - Yay! Sould be here any day.

Greg61
Aug 5, 2007, 04:25 AM
Yes,

Good question. I used to have a Treo and bought a Vaja case for it. The darned thing was so thick that it made using the perimeter keys difficult.

The Piel Frama case doesn't impede your ability to use the iPhone at all. My only concern is that the fit, at the time of purchase, wasn't that snug. I'm just wondering that when the leather becomes broken in, will the iPhone fit get sloppy? We'll see.