PDA

View Full Version : Spam comes in many forms...

Mr. Anderson
Jul 24, 2003, 07:26 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/07/23/junk.faxes.ap/index.html

We get these all the time at work. Its good to know that they're cracking down on it. I can't even imagine sending out 3 million faxes in one day.....:rolleyes:

But this along with email spam control and the don'tcall registry, things are getting cleaned up. :D

D

MacFan25
Jul 24, 2003, 07:51 AM
That is just taking it way too far. Are people that desperate to advertise?

eyelikeart
Jul 24, 2003, 08:50 AM
I hate to sound this way, but it really annoys the hell out of me when people throw out the "free speech/1st Amendment" card. :rolleyes:

I whole heartedly believe that the 1st Amendment WAS NOT inteded to be abused for purposes such as this. It really pisses me off when people who know they are a nuisance to the masses, use the 1st Amendment as a justification for their doings.

It's like the tobacco companies who know they're killing people & the environment.

Mr. Anderson
Jul 24, 2003, 08:54 AM
Hiding behind the letter of the law has always been done. I do like the fact that this is being brought to court, though. Sure they have a right to free speech - but at this scale its ludicrous to say its free speech. No one really wants these faxes - they end up in the trash. What's even worse is that this company is making money by selling its clients advertising - I'm still floored by the 3 million fax potential.....;)

Blah!

D

MacFan25
Jul 24, 2003, 09:22 AM
I don't mind people using their 1st Amendment right, as long as it doesn't infringe on other people's rights. And in this case, it is hurting other people's rights.

wdlove
Jul 24, 2003, 09:56 AM
Now that the "do not call list" has gone into effect, advertisers are just going to find other forms of advertising. I do think that it's better when they use targeted advertising, otherwise it wastes the time of both sides. I can remember when I volunteered at a seminary we would occasionally get a spam fax, usually for a vacation. Our thought was that they were wasting our fax paper. Won't the "do not call list" work for a fax also?

eyelikeart
Jul 24, 2003, 10:31 AM
I honestly feel that 1st Amendment rights infringe upon privacy rights...it's a cat & mouse act. I keep wondering when it will come to a point that things have to be rewritten to accomodate technology?

rueyeet
Jul 24, 2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
I honestly feel that 1st Amendment rights infringe upon privacy rights...it's a cat & mouse act.

Absolutely. Their right to free speech ends when they invade my home--or my inbox, my mailbox, or my phone line--to pursue it. There's nothing in the Constitution about the inalienable right to shove advertising in people's faces in the sanctity of their own homes.

That was one of the scariest things in the movie Minority Report--not the whole pre-crime concept, but the thought of those little eye-scanning ID tags being piggybacked by companies to enable ads that spoke to you by name. Sheesh. No wonder he went jogging in the Sprawl, or whatever that was....the only surfaces in the city not shouting at you to buy something!

The comic Transmetropolitan had that kind of visualization of our future too--hyped-up and hyper-saturated with ads coating every single available surface; wall-to-wall TVs where the home shopping channels not only allowed you to buy instantly anything you saw, but delivered it to you within hours or minutes; subliminal ad-bombs delivered within your favorite programs to make you dream advertising!

It's like having voices shouting at you all day from every direction. It needs to go away. Doesn't the huge numbers of people who signed onto the do-not-call list the second it went online give these ad monkeys any clue?! :mad:

[/rant]

Abstract
Jul 24, 2003, 01:07 PM
They have the right to free speech as long as they shut the fark up and say nothing!!

Those advertisers just cost paper. Its just a waste of paper.

Capt Underpants
Jul 24, 2003, 02:33 PM
I would much rather have tons of spam faxes or junk email than Telemarketers calling 24/7 and waking me up constantly. With the national do not call list that will take effect in October, we are going to be getting even more of these spam faxes and emails. I would rather have junk email or faxes (a less distracting type of spam in my opinion) than Telemarketers calling all of the time.

-Captain Underpants

MrMacMan
Jul 24, 2003, 05:36 PM
So, spam spam, its all the same.

But what the hell is so hard about turning off a fax machine or unplugnt it?

Nothing at all, with e-mail spam you can't.

bennetsaysargh
Jul 24, 2003, 09:12 PM
how coud they send that many faxes?
that must be a lot of fax machines, and paper, and ink.

a real waste of resources.