PDA

View Full Version : Windows Programming / Sys admin from MAC laptop?

Polyktor
Jul 24, 2003, 10:00 AM
I'm a switcher on the fence, about to take a new job where I'll be needing to manage a Windows 2000 network and develop web apps (is Microsoft ASP) . Any thoughts on using a TiBook (or newer if they are ever updated) for all this?

Also I would want to use Visual Studio.Net (for asp.net web development) which would require Virtual PC... is this going to be just wonderful on a mac or am I going to break down in frustration, run out screaming and get a Dell?

(BTW, I'm going against the grain with the Mac approach - the job is at a school with an all Win network.)

-P

maradong
Jul 29, 2003, 08:59 AM
well i don t see where the problem should be.
could you please explain what exactly you will be doing.
Coding asp is as easy as on any other plattform, just upload it on the ftp and it works, huh ?

IDTheft
Aug 2, 2003, 12:29 AM
I just switched too being a windows admin myself. Most things you do won't be a problem. Use Dreamweaver MX which was previously Homesite on PC for coding asp.

As for running visual studio, well, don't know how well that'll work on VPC. But then, there is remote desktop for mac. Load up visual studio on a server and use you remote desktop to open up the program on the server.

Remote desktop, it's the best thing that Microsoft ever did for Apple. Download it before M$ takes it down!

zimv20
Aug 2, 2003, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by IDTheft
Load up visual studio on a server and use you remote desktop to open up the program on the server.

Remote desktop, it's the best thing that Microsoft ever did for Apple.

as long as you've got terminal services running on the other end, of course.