Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

varunbster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Hello everyone

I have recently acquired a lightly used 12" pb with some "water damage."
My neighbor gave it to me and its physically perfect. Its a late2005 model with 1.5ghz 512mb, etc.

The water damage is internal. She had it with her in France for a year and when she came back stateside, it didn't seem to work as well until one day it just stopped working. The Apple report says "water damage" but I don't know anything else about it. I'm pretty curious about this, and I want to atleast replace the logicbrd on it, but before i shell out the money for that I wanted to see if there were any previous posts, links or suggestions you all might have for me. I should have it apart on my workbench in a day or two, I just need to remember to bring back the right screwdrivers from work.

Thanks for any help!

-Varun

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Hello everyone

My neighbor gave it to me and its physically perfect. Its a late2005 model with 1.5ghz 512mb, etc.

The water damage is internal. She had it with her in France for a year and when she came back stateside, it didn't seem to work as well until one day it just stopped working. The Apple report says "water damage" but I don't know anything else about it. I'm pretty curious about this, and I want to atleast replace the logicbrd on it, but before i shell out the money for that I wanted to see if there were any previous posts, links or suggestions you all might have for me. I should have it apart on my workbench in a day or two, I just need to remember to bring back the right screwdrivers from work.

Thanks for any help!

-Varun

A new logicboard for a G4 Powerbook costs as much as a brand new MacBook if you buy it new from apple

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
You could try and find a dead 12" Powerbook on eBay and perform the swap yourself. I'm not sure of the circumstances of the water damage suffered, but in my opinion, people who place beverages near their notebooks are just asking for it. I put my glasses or cups on the floor after a friend lost his pismo to a spilled 7UP.

varunbster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
thanks for the input
i was planning on only looking on ebay for the logicboard
i figure putting more than 400 in this machine isnt worth it

simonhead666

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2008
Uxbridge Ontario
What did the laptop do at start-up?

Hello everyone

Thanks for any help!

-Varun

I just got a water damaged 1.5 G4 12" off of ebay for uber cheap...
I believe the logic board is fried... perhaps the inverter too..
I get a start up chime.. the screen has lines, then looks like the LCD is fighting for life.. (looks like clouds on screen) then goes white..
does your laptop behave the same Varun?
thanks
Simon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.