PDA

View Full Version : C++ book or reference information

ukneeq
Jul 19, 2007, 05:13 PM
I have been programming in UNIX for awhile now and really want to start programming for MacOSX. My language of choice is C++. Also since I have been programming for UNIX, I really don't have that much experience with the UI. So I was wondering if someone knew of any good books that could get me started. Hopefully one that shows how to start programming MacOSX in C++. Any recommendations though would be appreciated.

Thanks!

kainjow
Jul 19, 2007, 05:50 PM
C++ programming in Mac OS X is done via the Carbon APIs. The Carbon APIs are, in a sense, going obsolete. They will probably be available in the OS for several more major versions, but they are not being developed at the rate Cocoa is. Cocoa uses Objective-C. If you really want to start learning Mac OS X programming, learn Cocoa, and skip Carbon. It will save you a heck of time with the API and a heck of frustration down the road (especially if you're interested in 64-bit).

If you want a Cocoa book, try Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X (http://www.bignerdranch.com/products/cocoa1.shtml).

Edit: You can still develop using C++, but the UI should be done using Cocoa (Objective-C). Search around for info on Objective-C++.